or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2014 Vizio Exxx-Bx Series owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2014 Vizio Exxx-Bx Series owners thread - Page 15

post #421 of 1278
going to wait a little longer to see if the M or P series is coming out, hope some info will be out soon. Meanwhile I want to go and have a look at the E550i-b2 to see how well the FALD is performing, however I am not a member of Costco, I will have to wait until it comes to Bestbuy.
post #422 of 1278
@abailey108,

I think the pictures are good it makes for a decent screen size comparison since the sizes are marked on the boxes .
Thanks for posting .

I am buying a new ~ 40-46" set for the bedroom in the middle of Feb. to replace a 32" Toshiba that is very good other than being to small .
I will probably buy a 2013 Sony ( if I can find one ) or a Toshiba . Maybe I should just get a 50" that could happen also.

OTOH those new 2014 Visio sets are something I'm going to look at as well before I buy something
if i don't end up waiting for the 2014 Sony's in Mar. I've had good luck with Sony and Toshiba over the years .
with one exception being the larger Sammie Plasma I bought last year hopefully it will be reliable .
post #423 of 1278

A QUESTION TO THE NEW OWNERS OF THE 2014 E-SERIES,

 

Has anybody had issues with the HDMI PORTS?    Specifically ports 3 & 4?      Has anybody had the picture lose the signal for a few seconds and then the picture returns 3-5 seconds later?

 

This was the exact problems I had with 2 VIZIO 500i-A1's. I am so hoping and wishing that this is not affecting the new 2014 500i-B1 because that would just crush me.

post #424 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post



I am buying a new ~ 40-46" set for the bedroom in the middle of Feb. to replace a 32" Toshiba that is very good other than being to small .
I will probably buy a 2013 Sony ( if I can find one ) or a Toshiba . Maybe I should just get a 50" that could happen also.

 

The elusive and mysterious 50inch 500i-B1? It haunts me in my dreams because it refuses to be found, However if you do find it I am begging you to let us know where to buy it.

Thank You.


Edited by AMERICAN RIFLE - 2/1/14 at 5:58am
post #425 of 1278
Set up my replacement 48" last night and decided if the m series comes out Ina couple months, I will return it to Sams since I have a few months. I like it and need to play with it more, but it has a couple things I don't love. It seems to have some issues with motion: some shows have trailing outlines--just minutely--that can be distracting when people or objects move, like the processor can't quite keep up? The 120hz, even if it was via interpolation, doesn't seem to offer any help. I don't even get a Soap Opera effect. I think the option to turn this on or off is under film mode, and it is just either off or auto. So far I haven't seen a difference In a variety of sources from games to movies.

I wish there were a few more options for tweaking in the settings, but I am so anal with my televisions. I have many hdtvs in the house and I still hate/love buying new ones because I will tinker until I drop. I still tinker with my settings on my beloved 2007 samsung that I compare all other TVs to.

I think I just need to see more settings that people are using as more new owners come into the thread.
post #426 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post

Set up my replacement 48" last night and decided if the m series comes out Ina couple months, I will return it to Sams since I have a few months. I like it and need to play with it more, but it has a couple things I don't love. It seems to have some issues with motion: some shows have trailing outlines--just minutely--that can be distracting when people or objects move, like the processor can't quite keep up? The 120hz, even if it was via interpolation, doesn't seem to offer any help. I don't even get a Soap Opera effect. I think the option to turn this on or off is under film mode, and it is just either off or auto. So far I haven't seen a difference In a variety of sources from games to movies.

I wish there were a few more options for tweaking in the settings, but I am so anal with my televisions. I have many hdtvs in the house and I still hate/love buying new ones because I will tinker until I drop. I still tinker with my settings on my beloved 2007 samsung that I compare all other TVs to.

I think I just need to see more settings that people are using as more new owners come into the thread.


I, for one, have hopes that the M and P series will be better able to handle motion and exhibit better screen uniformity. However, given that 2 and 3 thousand dollar Name Brand TV's show traits that are unwelcomed by many, I just don't see how a cheap ass Vizio can compete. Just wait and see how many will get these sets and complain about issues such as HDMI sync , banding, random shut downs, etc.
post #427 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobe View Post


 Just wait and see how many will get these sets and complain about issues such as HDMI sync , banding, random shut downs, etc.

Did you ever experience HDMI signal loss?

post #428 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICAN RIFLE View Post

Did you ever experience HDMI signal loss?

Yep - on two Vizio's. Not really an HDMI loss, but I had both of them (when first turned on) show a 10 to 15 second fuzzy, distorted picture and garbled sound until they syc'd up to the source (cable box, blue ray player, etc). Also, both sets would turn off while watching for no apparent reason. As I found out later, calls to Vizio were always answered with the same response - they never heard of anyone ever complaining about that issue. A quick read of Vizio products on this forum proves this is a common problem. I may try another Vizio (M or P) , but only after I see reviews on these latest products. Until then, I am very leary. The one thing I will do if I purchase another one is to make sure I can return it easily if need be.
post #429 of 1278

I am also not sure if motion is any better on E55. I just retuned M55 and for E55. Maybe the 240Hz on the M-Series is performing better for motion. Looking to verify if the E-Series is a True 120Hz.

 also on the E-Series I have no banding as I used to have on the M-Series. E Series has uniform color. I just hope i had kept M Series and compared it with E Series. If the M Series comes out I will return this to SAM's and get that, got uniting April 28th

post #430 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnypv View Post
 

I am also not sure if motion is any better on E55. I just retuned M55 and for E55. Maybe the 240Hz on the M-Series is performing better for motion. Looking to verify if the E-Series is a True 120Hz.

 

It's a 60Hz panel with the usual "smooth motion" garbage added.

post #431 of 1278
So I did some digging, none of the 2014 M-Sereies are in our (Sam's Club's) systems yet. So far, I'm still only seeing the 40, 48, and 55 2014 E-Series in our system (which we have in stock). I'll try to update as soon as that changes. I took a few quick pictures of the TVs. Let me know if you want any additional pictures of anything.

As far as checking stock of your local Sam's club, just ask them to check the stock of the six numbers in the upper righthand corner of the signs I post up.


2014 40" E-Series










Width of the 2014 40" E-Series


Comparing the width to a 2013 40" M-Series


Compairing the width to a 2013 50" E-Series





2014 48' E-Series







2014 55" E-Series



(We took the display off the floor temporarily so I wasn't able to get a picture of the TV)
post #432 of 1278
Dammit! The Sams Clubs here are out (or almost out) of the 2013 39" screens, but they don't know when the new models are actually coming. It's 2014. This lack of inventory/shipment knowledge is ********. They had some of the other new ones. The 39" is in the computer as being replaced by the 2014 model, so I know they'll have it at some point. Vizio still hasn't updated their own goddamn site. Whoever said they work at Sam's: Do shipments come every day?
Edited by Viper187 - 2/1/14 at 9:42am
post #433 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper187 View Post

Whoever said they work at Sam's: Do shipments come every day?

Yes shipments come in every day, but it's completely random what's on those shipments. Our computer inventory system is REALLY old and extremely useless. It tells us two things about stock: 1. How many units there are in the store and 2. How many are "on order" (meaning how many are enroute to the store.) It usually doesn't give us a delivery date for the on order items.

Long story short, it's very difficult to determine when items will come in.

Also, never rely on the sams club website to verify whether an item is in stock or not at your local store. It's usually wrong.
post #434 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknudsen View Post

I recently purchased a Vizio E400i-B2 and from the moment I plugged it in I heard the rapid-fire clicking noise. The faint clicking noise is audible only while the TV is turned OFF. As soon as I power the set on, the noise immediately goes away.

Because the set is placed in a corner of a smaller room (quiet house) the noise can be easily heard from further away--I don't have to be near it to hear it. I like the TV other than this issue and if Vizio is saying this is "normal" (which I have not confirmed personally) then I will exchange it for a completely different model/brand. Regardless, I plan to return it to get a different one.

The question is: Does every 2014 Vizio Exxx-Bx Series owner experience this clicking noise when the TV is powered off?

If there are owners out there that do not hear this clicking noise, then I may just exchange it for another one. Otherwise, I'll need to jump to a different manufacturer.

I just hooked up my e400i-B2 I got from Amazon. First thing I checked for was the clicking noise. I was very disappointed to hear it right away. It definitely is not a normal sound and I was ready to return it. However, the next thing I did was plug in an HDMI from cable box into HDMI 1. The clicking sound stopped and I have not heard it since. I will keep an eye on it for now.
post #435 of 1278
Hey, guys.

I was wondering, is there any clue when the M-series will be out?

The new remote for the E-Series, is anyone having any trouble using it. Did they give you a remote that works this time??
post #436 of 1278
Just got my E400i-B2. I'd buy again for sure.

This is my first TV that isn't a plasma since the Sony WEGA days. Being an old school plasma guy I can say this is one of the better LCDs I've laid eyes on. The full array local dimming is real and it works. Plasma is still better than even these local dimming displays, but I'd go as far to say that it doesn't bother me. I could buy just these Vizios and be happy.

The 40" size is the perfect size for a bedroom TV. I wanted a 32" but the step up to the 40" for 120hz, 1080P, full array local dimming is worth it. Really nice TV (belated Christmas gift for my wife) that I don't regret picking.
Viewing angle is pretty good, good enough. Netflix works exceptionally well in my opinion. It's fast, more than fast enough. I think it might come close to using Netflix on Windows 7. Loads fast, browsing is no nonsense. Sound on the tv is fine, no complaints, I think it sounds good for a 40" tv. The image quality is up there for LCDs.

Received the tv on Thursday, so I've had 2 1/2 days with it. I can already say when my 50" Samsung plasma dies, I'm replacing it with a 70" Vizio FALD set (unless Panasonic steps up to the plate with competitive FALD, I'd have to take a hard look at those).
I'd recommend the 40" to anyone looking for a 2nd TV, or just a nice set to place on an adjustable arm in the living room to give more of a classy look/feel.

Make no mistake, this is no plasma killer (only the market did that for me). But old-school diehard plasma guy in the thread, buying his first LCD tv gives two thumbs up on the 2014 Vizio E series.
Edited by rampagex - 2/1/14 at 2:23pm
post #437 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline513 View Post

Yes shipments come in every day, but it's completely random what's on those shipments. Our computer inventory system is REALLY old and extremely useless. It tells us two things about stock: 1. How many units there are in the store and 2. How many are "on order" (meaning how many are enroute to the store.) It usually doesn't give us a delivery date for the on order items.

Long story short, it's very difficult to determine when items will come in.

Also, never rely on the sams club website to verify whether an item is in stock or not at your local store. It's usually wrong.

Do they always come at certain time of day (morning, evening) or random? I'll probably start calling to check every day or two.
post #438 of 1278
Logitech z906 THX PC speaker system is pretty awesome. You can get it from Amazon for like $330. It can shake your house. I own 2 of them.
post #439 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post

My 48" came from Amazon today and the screen was broken on the bottom. It looks internal as it looks fine when TV is off. Now I have to return it but this time I am going to Sams Club to pick it up. Since it's hooked up I will test it out tonight and pick up a new one on way home from work tomorrow.

I will say that I like the tv otherwise. ThE only thing that is keeping it from being a slam dunk for me is that it's missing a headphone jack. I run my pc speakers through the headphone jack and now I am stumped what to do. I don't want to go out and spend a ton of money on a new system that has optical out...it basically would turn a cheap tv into something more expensive and take the "deal" out of it.

The speakers themselves are standard junk these days, so I need a solution. Maybe an adapter I can buy?

You just need a RCA to 3.5mm cable. Probably pick it up at Radio Shack, or even Best Buy. Probably like $5.
post #440 of 1278
In regards to the remote, It is responsive. However, it does still need line of sight. One thing I don't like is that it is so low slung on the stand and my PS4 was blocking the ir zone on the bottom left so I had to move it away.

I was thinking the picture was too dim when compared with some of my other LCD/led TVs but today while playing. Some PS4 it seemed good. My 2009 60" Sharp LCD in the living room is super bright but also has great darks and contrast . This does seem to be dimmer but the black levels are good.

I still think I will return this when the M series comes out (if it's before May) but for now it is a nice entry level set. I am happy with it for he price...but I do wish it was even better. this is clearly a 60hz set and the fact they advertise it as 120hz irritates me. It is no better than my old sets that are strictly 60hz.
Edited by Kelegacy - 2/1/14 at 5:23pm
post #441 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICAN RIFLE View Post

It's a 60Hz panel with the usual "smooth motion" garbage added.

There seems to be a lot of confusion out there on the new E series. While it does in fact a native 60hz panel, it does not use any sort of "smooth motion garbage" or frame interpolation. It instead uses a very effective, and very lag friendly (yay for gamers) trick called backlight scanning. This ups the refresh rate to 120hz by inserting black frames between every other frame on a 60hz signal. There is no way to turn this off or on, and it does not cause any sort of soap opera effect. The E series is only using a mild version of backlight scanning which is why it is not extremely dim and there is no flicker. The downside to using a mild version of it however is that you will still notice blurring, but it will be much better than a native 120hz panel that does not use backlight scanning.
post #442 of 1278
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICAN RIFLE View Post

It's a 60Hz panel with the usual "smooth motion" garbage added.

There seems to be a lot of confusion out there on the new E series. While it does in fact a native 60hz panel, it does not use any sort of "smooth motion garbage" or frame interpolation. It instead uses a very effective, and very lag friendly (yay for gamers) trick called backlight scanning. This ups the refresh rate to 120hz by inserting black frames between every other frame on a 60hz signal. There is no way to turn this off or on, and it does not cause any sort of soap opera effect. The E series is only using a mild version of backlight scanning which is why it is not extremely dim and there is no flicker. The downside to using a mild version of it however is that you will still notice blurring, but it will be much better than a native 120hz panel that does not use backlight scanning.

Why are you referring to 120Hz?? If you look here: http://ces.vizio.com/e-series.html#skip
the 2014 E-Series is supposed to have a 'Clear Action Rate' of 180Hz. Where have you seen any reference to 120Hz as far as the 2014 E-Series?

If the 'Clear Action Rate' of 180Hz is correct, this is almost certainly an LCD panel with a 60Hz native refresh rate coupled with a scanning backlight with three strobing zones (or, I suppose, it could also be implemented with a scanning backlight with two strobing zones as well as a single black frame insertion after scanning in each full frame in two half-frame strobes...).

-fafrd
post #443 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post

In regards to the remote, It is responsive. However, it does still need line of sight. One thing I don't like is that it is so low slung on the stand and my PS4 was blocking the ir zone on the bottom left so I had to move it away.

I was thinking the picture was too dim when compared with some of my other LCD/led TVs but today while playing. Some PS4 it seemed good. My 2009 60" Sharp LCD in the living room is super bright but also has great darks and contrast . This does seem to be dimmer but the black levels are good.

I still think I will return this when the M series comes out (if it's before May) but for now it is a nice entry level set. I am happy with it for he price...but I do wish it was even better. this is clearly a 60hz set and the fact they advertise it as 120hz irritates me. It is no better than my old sets that are strictly 60hz.

Gah. Will we ever see TVs with a damn bluetooth remote as an option!? I happen to love my PS3 remote. I used to have the console facing away from me and it didn't even matter. No pointing. It just works. how can people not want this? I'm always having to aim my remote over this one monitor on my right to actually get my receiver to work. You better believe I'm looking for a receiver with bluetooth remote when it comes time to replace/upgrade, and they better be out by then. The PS3 has been out for 8 years FFS! IR needs to die!
post #444 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post


Why are you referring to 120Hz?? If you look here: http://ces.vizio.com/e-series.html#skip
the 2014 E-Series is supposed to have a 'Clear Action Rate' of 180Hz. Where have you seen any reference to 120Hz as far as the 2014 E-Series?

If the 'Clear Action Rate' of 180Hz is correct, this is almost certainly an LCD panel with a 60Hz native refresh rate coupled with a scanning backlight with three strobing zones (or, I suppose, it could also be implemented with a scanning backlight with two strobing zones as well as a single black frame insertion after scanning in each full frame in two half-frame strobes...).

-fafrd

 

How would that compare to the refresh rates on some of the Samsung TVs (like the F6300) that advertise the 120hz panel with the 240hz true motion?

I took a look at some of the 2013 Vizios in Best Buy today and thought there was still quite a bit of blur on their 60hz/120hz effective refresh units.

post #445 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper187 View Post

Gah. Will we ever see TVs with a damn bluetooth remote as an option!? I happen to love my PS3 remote. I used to have the console facing away from me and it didn't even matter. No pointing. It just works. how can people not want this? I'm always having to aim my remote over this one monitor on my right to actually get my receiver to work. You better believe I'm looking for a receiver with bluetooth remote when it comes time to replace/upgrade, and they better be out by then. The PS3 has been out for 8 years FFS! IR needs to die!

I'm pretty sure that I read that bluetooth is being used on one of the 2014 TVs that is being releasesed. Might not be Vizio though.
post #446 of 1278
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaytheGreat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Why are you referring to 120Hz?? If you look here: http://ces.vizio.com/e-series.html#skip

the 2014 E-Series is supposed to have a 'Clear Action Rate' of 180Hz. Where have you seen any reference to 120Hz as far as the 2014 E-Series?


If the 'Clear Action Rate' of 180Hz is correct, this is almost certainly an LCD panel with a 60Hz native refresh rate coupled with a scanning backlight with three strobing zones (or, I suppose, it could also be implemented with a scanning backlight with two strobing zones as well as a single black frame insertion after scanning in each full frame in two half-frame strobes...).


-fafrd

How would that compare to the refresh rates on some of the Samsung TVs (like the F6300) that advertise the 120hz panel with the 240hz true motion?
I took a look at some of the 2013 Vizios in Best Buy today and thought there was still quite a bit of blur on their 60hz/120hz effective refresh units.

I think The Samsung panel is a native 120Hz with a 2-strobing-zone scanning backlight to get to an 'Effective Refresh Rate' of 240Hz.

The Vizio E-Series panel has a native refresh rate of 60Hz, so half the native refresh rate of the Samsung. If the Visio used the same 2-zone scanning backlight as the Samsung, it would have an 'Effective Refresh Rate' of only 120Hz (again, half that of the Samsung). But the Visio panel ether has a scanning backlight with 3 strobing zones or has a 2-strobing zone scanning backlight like the Samsung but also inserts an additional black frame after each full refresh (of two half-frame strobing zones).

This ought to slightly improve the motion resolution versus not having the third strobing zone or additional black frame insertion, but it will still not reach the same Effective Refresh Rate of the Samsung.

So if you are sensitive to motion blur and do not mind the Soap Opera Effect, the 120Hz Samsung ought to be a bit better for you than the 60Hz Vizio...

-fafrd

p.s. if the 2013 Vizio's Es were 60Hz native / 120Hz effective refresh rate, you should see some improvement on the 2014 Vizio Es which are 60Hz native / 180Hz effective...

p.p.s. Was just in Costco today and the 2014 E-Series panels up to 55 inches are everywhere...
post #447 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Why are you referring to 120Hz?? If you look here: http://ces.vizio.com/e-series.html#skip
the 2014 E-Series is supposed to have a 'Clear Action Rate' of 180Hz. Where have you seen any reference to 120Hz as far as the 2014 E-Series?

If the 'Clear Action Rate' of 180Hz is correct, this is almost certainly an LCD panel with a 60Hz native refresh rate coupled with a scanning backlight with three strobing zones (or, I suppose, it could also be implemented with a scanning backlight with two strobing zones as well as a single black frame insertion after scanning in each full frame in two half-frame strobes...).

-fafrd

I saw that, however I am not sure exactly whats going on with that. While 60hz, and 30hz divide evenly into 180, 24hz does not. Either way, the native refresh is 60hz with the much preferred scanning backlight method for the perceived refresh rate increase.
post #448 of 1278
I returned my 55" Vizio twice to Sams because it had small purple spots in the screen. Seems these early models have a defect.
post #449 of 1278

HELLO BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY MORNING, ANY NEWS ON THE 50INCH 500I-B1????

post #450 of 1278
I could have sworn that I read that the new Vizio's are going to be using Qwerty Remotes that use Wi-Fi instead of IR. I thought it was a great idea, because you could control your tv with your cell phone, if you wanted. Maybe it's the new M-Series they were talking about.

My Toshiba 40" just died on me yesterday. Was going to buy 55" M-series 2013 Vizio from Amazon, but I didn't like some of the things I was reading about problems with them. I knew Vizio had new models coming out. I was going to wait till the New 70" M-series came out. Think around July or so. My 40" Toshiba was great, really loved it. Till just about the whole screen turned Purple yesterday. frown.gif

So, now I have to buy a TV, and the E-series sounds like the TV to get right now. The 50" with 16 zones, if the specs are true, and not a misprint. Sounds like the best deal for your money. Problem is, it's not out yet. I was looking at getting the 55", but I would like to buy it local, so, I can return it with ease if there is a problem, but it's not in stock anywhere right now. I think I might just hold out for the 50" to come out. Who knows, could be next week, or this monday. Would be nice if the wait was short. But I still plan on buying the 70" M-series when it comes out, unless they really screw up. Which would be really stupid of them to do, since they are probably making the best tv at the best price this year. They will sell a ton of them. So, don't screw up Vizio!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2014 Vizio Exxx-Bx Series owners thread