- 121 Posts. Joined 3/2012
- Thumbs Up: 17
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- How to evaluate a subwoofer? Here is my tutorial. Last post on 2/7/14 at 8:32am in Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers
- Denon 3802/ Upgrade or not??? Last post on 1/13/14 at 11:04pm in Receivers, Amps, and Processors
- Dream Christmas surprise for little sister, AVS Style!!! Last post on 3/6/14 at 6:12am in Speakers
- AVR-991 with 7.2 Plus Multi-Zone Last post on 12/13/13 at 1:12pm in Receivers, Amps, and Processors
- Denon AVR-991 Multi-Zone Questions... Last post on 12/9/13 at 6:32am in Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Denon 2011 and 2012 AVR FAQ, Setup, and Troubleshooting Guide
Last edited: 9/13/12
What AV Receiver is everyone using for their HTPC? What hasn't worked? - Page 3
I eventually the got an hdmi detective for my setup (Intel hd4000 > Yamaha RX-671 > Samsung PN64D8000 plasma) Even though I could get sound or picture with the avr off, if I turned the avr on and no sound was playing at the time, then I would not be able any sound until toggled inputs. Also had a lot of issues with blank screens and sound, etc. Now I have none of those problems with with the hdmi detective. Changing inputs used to take 5+ seconds before I'd see a picture, now it's less than 2 seconds. Well worth the $85 pric the for the detective. I think every HTPC needs one of these.
Yup this is what I was asking. I found it worked well with my Onkyo, but the Denon seems to handle it much better than the Onkyo did.
I have two HDMI outputs, one to my 720P TV, the other to my 1080P projector.
I'm not sure how, but I've somehow managed to get the HTPC to output the correct resolution depending on which output is selected on the receiver.
When using the TV, I have the receiver set to pass audio to the TV (not using speakers connected to the receiver).
When using the projector, the receiver does all the audio processing and amplification.
Only a couple of issues with this setup - obviously the TV doesn't have all the audio codecs installed, so some of the movies played via the HTPC have no sound if I've only saved them with the HD audio tracks.
Also, my PS3 refuses to auto-handshake with the correct resolution, so I only use it with the projector.
I also experienced handshaking issues when i had an onkyo and then the hdmi board went bad twice.
Also have a pioneer 1020k which works good with the laptop.
I remember doing a firmware upgrade at a point in time (just for the sake of keeping latest firmware) but I never had a single issue with it...
The VSX-32 was a replacement for the VSX-1018AH which is now in the bedroom...
Both have been great AVRs...
The PC was not too happy. When AVR was shut off or switched to another source, PC would freak out, forget everything about its HDMI connection, and not remember about it again without a reboot. Gefen HDMI Detective Plus made everything peachy.
I also have an Xbox 360 and Sony Blu Ray Player attached. The Sony Blu Ray player is the only device in which Passthrough Works, thus not needing to have the receiver on while the viewing content through this device.
Using my home grown HTPC that has an AMD A6-5400K APU. Graphics are great & it runs really cool in a completely enclosed entertainment center. It has a really small case with only one 80mm cooling fan in the case.
It is hooked up thru the onboard HDMI output on the MSI mobo to my Yamaha RX-V673. Everything works fine so far.
- What AV Receiver is everyone using for their HTPC? What hasn't worked?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › MFW-15 - Dual Opposed or Marty Cube style 4 seconds ago
- › Official Sony KDS-XXA3000 OWNERS THREAD! 20 seconds ago
- › TC Sounds LMS-Ultra 5400 vs. passive Funk Audio 18.0SE w/ TSAD18v1... 31 seconds ago
- › PSB Speakers Owners thread 54 seconds ago
- › LTD-M18 Sub Build 57 seconds ago
- › Official Power Sound Audio Thread 1 minute ago
- › Official ZT60 Owners Thread 1 minute ago
- › "Mixology" on ABC in HD 1 minute ago
- › My HDMI splitter = no DTC 2 minutes ago
- › Sony VPL-vw1000 2 minutes ago
- › LG Electronics NB3530A Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer and Bluetooth by zerolimit
- › Polk Audio RTI A7 Floorstanding Speaker (Single, Cherry) by mdaleavs
- › Microvision SHOWWX+ HDMI Laser Pico Projector (AA0123600-020) by enjoi7
- › Xbox One Console - Day One Edition by ajones13
- › PlayStation 4 Console by BenMonkey
- › Behringer B215XL Passive Speaker Pair by imagic
- › Atari 5200 - Video Game Console (System) by PGTweed
- › XBOX Console by PGTweed
- › Xbox One Console- Standard Edition by jstumbler
- › Gamecube Console Platinum by PGTweed
- › Academy Award Winners & Nominees on Blu-ray by skehoe
- › Game Console Review Contest by Scott Wilkinson
- › Best Blu-rays for Your Valentine's Day... by skehoe
- › Vizio and Sony Impress, Curved Screens... by Scott Wilkinson
- › AVS Buying Guide Central by skehoe
- › Soundbar Review Contest by SocialCapital
- › AVS Forum's Top 9 LCD TVs by Scott Wilkinson
- › AVS Forum's Top 10 Powered Soundbars by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 8 Low-Cost... by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 6 Streaming Media Players by skehoe