A nearby lightning strike has rendered it dead, but it had several features that were particularly useful.
- it rattled the room when necessary. (1000w BASH amp)
- it was a light colored enclosure that matches the rest of the furniture. (it wasn't black!)
- it was acoustic suspension that had no "breathing" noise. (Dual drivers!)
- it had two speakers that fired sideways and, when I put it between two IKEA Effektiv units, it was essentially protected.
- it had metal grilles over the speakers, so when my little boy did mess with it (once rolling it halfway across the room) the speakers were protected.
- it was big enough that I could rest my combo DVD/Receiver right on top of it, making for the simplest and cleanest install.
Eventually my little boy got to where he'd leave the receiver alone because he figured out he could use the receiver to play music. He has some kids music CDs and knows how to hit play, and how to turn the big volume knob. Here's hoping the repair shop can get THAT back up and running after the lightning strike messed the receiver up too.
But no one services CSW subs, and CSW is zero help.
So I am on the hunt for a replacement sub and came to settle on this one:
Polk Audio PSW125 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Cherry)
I like it because it's NOT black.
The speaker has a metal grille over it. (confirmed with a call to Polk)
It looks like a 16" cube which should hold my receiver okay.
While ported, the port is downward firing so I hope I don't hear it breathe.
The reviews are quite positive on Amazon, less positive on Polk's web site.
$350 Price is not too bad. I think I paid $599 for my CSW P1000 which retailed for $999.
Before I plunk down my dough, I wanted to ask the group their thoughts and make sure I wasn't missing a better subwoofer for my room.