or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Sound micro-cutouts from Receiver while watching hdtv through Ceton InfiniTV on Windows 7 MCE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sound micro-cutouts from Receiver while watching hdtv through Ceton InfiniTV on Windows 7 MCE

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Howdy all!

I've described my settings before, but before I continue to describe the issue, here are the details of my setup.

TV - Vizio M551d-A2R
Receiver - Yamaha RX-V671
Windows 7 Media Center w/ InfiniTV4 USB on Xfinity Cable - InfiniTV is at the latest drivers and firmware
I'm running with an ATI PCIe Graphics card, with the latest drivers
Everything is connected via HDMI.

I've been noticing since I originally setup this environment that I have "micro cut-outs" of the sound from the receiver. During TV, the speaker icons on my receiver will go blank and the sound will cut-out for a split second. Typically, this has been during commercials, but I'm starting to notice it now more during actual television, and more frequently.

I don't believe these cut-outs happen when watching videos stored on the Media PC, and I know for a fact that none of the other devices (PS3 & XBox 360) don't suffer from this issue.

Any ideas as to what might be happening, or what I can to to troubleshoot the issue further?
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSylvia007 View Post

Howdy all!

I've described my settings before, but before I continue to describe the issue, here are the details of my setup.

TV - Vizio M551d-A2R
Receiver - Yamaha RX-V671
Windows 7 Media Center w/ InfiniTV4 USB on Xfinity Cable - InfiniTV is at the latest drivers and firmware
I'm running with an ATI PCIe Graphics card, with the latest drivers
Everything is connected via HDMI.

I've been noticing since I originally setup this environment that I have "micro cut-outs" of the sound from the receiver. During TV, the speaker icons on my receiver will go blank and the sound will cut-out for a split second. Typically, this has been during commercials, but I'm starting to notice it now more during actual television, and more frequently.

I don't believe these cut-outs happen when watching videos stored on the Media PC, and I know for a fact that none of the other devices (PS3 & XBox 360) don't suffer from this issue.

Any ideas as to what might be happening, or what I can to to troubleshoot the issue further?

You might want to check you WMDRM Pairing on the Ceton by going to it's internal web page, mine is at http://192.168.200.1/Services/System.html

I have seen the ceton, I have the InfiniTV 4 Card with a Comcast cable card and if there is a bump with PlayReady or pairing is intermittent I have had the same thing happen, I used to get it a lot more before I added a fan card above the Ceton to keep it cooler.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

You might want to check you WMDRM Pairing on the Ceton by going to it's internal web page, mine is at http://192.168.200.1/Services/System.html

I have seen the ceton, I have the InfiniTV 4 Card with a Comcast cable card and if there is a bump with PlayReady or pairing is intermittent I have had the same thing happen, I used to get it a lot more before I added a fan card above the Ceton to keep it cooler.

It's a usb device, and cooling isn't an issue where the device is located. The WMDRM Status says Ready, and the Versions are: WMDRM-PD - 10.08, & WMDRM-NDT - 10.02
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSylvia007 View Post

It's a usb device, and cooling isn't an issue where the device is located. The WMDRM Status says Ready, and the Versions are: WMDRM-PD - 10.08, & WMDRM-NDT - 10.02

Sorry, no idea then, you might try the Ceton forum and as a last resort their tech support which I doubt could get one working out of the box on a new PC...
post #5 of 16
This may not help you, but I have the same issue when watching video(happens with all bit rates) over my network (gigabit connection with a very capable server on the other end), and occasionally TV does the same thing, but I'm certain thats just down to the cable box/provider stream.

I have in the past reset my media PC (win 7 64 bit w/ 7850 graphics for audio) and found that the micro dropouts occur less frequently. If i watch a bluray locally I don't experience any stutters.

To me it seems as if this can be put down to the onboard NIC drivers(in my case), or some sort of issue with the chipset drivers(in both our cases).

I probably didn't help much but hopefully it opens up some troubleshooting options.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb0y View Post

This may not help you, but I have the same issue when watching video(happens with all bit rates) over my network (gigabit connection with a very capable server on the other end), and occasionally TV does the same thing, but I'm certain thats just down to the cable box/provider stream.

I have in the past reset my media PC (win 7 64 bit w/ 7850 graphics for audio) and found that the micro dropouts occur less frequently. If i watch a bluray locally I don't experience any stutters.

To me it seems as if this can be put down to the onboard NIC drivers(in my case), or some sort of issue with the chipset drivers(in both our cases).

I probably didn't help much but hopefully it opens up some troubleshooting options.

Hmmm, the Ceton when it is an internal card uses the NIC only internal to the PC (I am not familiar how the USB Ceton works internal to the PC), the cable comes in on the cable and the audio/video to the TV goes HDMI, so I am not sure where the NIC comes into play except when using DLNA to stream off your PC but that does not have the Ceton in the mix.

A quick way to test this is to just watch some TV from the PC locally, if you get no sound drop-outs then you can cross the NIC and drivers off the potential list. If you are getting drop-out on the local PC sound then I would look at all drivers, audio, video, and nic. I had all kinds of weird issues where audio would drop completely for 10 - 30 seconds and got DHCP errors with one version of my video drivers and I had to go the a prior rev on the NVidia drivers to fix it. I am using NVidia Driver Ver 331.85 now and current audio drivers.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSylvia007 View Post

It's a usb device, and cooling isn't an issue where the device is located. The WMDRM Status says Ready, and the Versions are: WMDRM-PD - 10.08, & WMDRM-NDT - 10.02

BTW -- Where are you seeing WMDRM status as "Ready", mine says "GREEN" and unless it is green I get audio dropouts even on unprotected channels.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

Hmmm, the Ceton when it is an internal card uses the NIC only internal to the PC (I am not familiar how the USB Ceton works internal to the PC), the cable comes in on the cable and the audio/video to the TV goes HDMI, so I am not sure where the NIC comes into play except when using DLNA to stream off your PC but that does not have the Ceton in the mix.

A quick way to test this is to just watch some TV from the PC locally, if you get no sound drop-outs then you can cross the NIC and drivers off the potential list. If you are getting drop-out on the local PC sound then I would look at all drivers, audio, video, and nic. I had all kinds of weird issues where audio would drop completely for 10 - 30 seconds and got DHCP errors with one version of my video drivers and I had to go the a prior rev on the NVidia drivers to fix it. I am using NVidia Driver Ver 331.85 now and current audio drivers.

For me, this isnt the issue. I AM using the direct machine that the Ceton is hooked up 2. It's just a long HDMI cable to the receiver. Network shouldn't be a factor here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

BTW -- Where are you seeing WMDRM status as "Ready", mine says "GREEN" and unless it is green I get audio dropouts even on unprotected channels.

Interesting... Does it say "GREEN" even when you're idle? I can look into re-installing play-ready and going through the whole setup...
post #9 of 16
Mine only ever says Green or Red, there might be a difference in the language between the USB version you have and the PCI card version, not sure.

I am on Ceton Firmware 1.2.2.6 / Hardware Revision 6212.

Here are screen shots of it tuned but stopped and not tuned and stopped (I did a fresh boot to see what it said unturned)

That said, you mentioned something that really caught my eye when you said you have a long HDMI cable, how long? I am running on a 50 footer and had a heck of a time getting it working, my first could attempts with HDMI cable extenders really crashed and burned and I ran the first 2 years on a wireless HDMI solution since I could not make a 50 foot cable work to save my life.

Last Christmas I finally made it work, first was a more expensive #22 gauge HDMI cable (#24 is probably ok, but not #28 the standard gauge for HDMI (not expensive BS like Monster and that Diamond junk they sell at BB for your first born, just fat wire and then I added a line amp (not a built in the cable kind, tried 3 all junk, by the end of the Christmas vacation Amazon was really hating me I guess, I would buy and return and buy and return as most of those little boxes just plain don't work. http://www.cabletrain.com/50-ft-hdmi-cable-22-gauge.html

I got mine on Amazon but I do not see a 22 gauge on there now (this was the brand and it was about $120), that was still not enough to solve intermittent HDCP that just drove me nuts and there was no place I could find that would or could help so I just kept going through cable /. booster pairs until this last try and now it works perfectly all the time. I used this booster with it,
http://www.amazon.com/TRIPP-Signal-Booster-Extender-B122-000-60/dp/B004SBBPEM/ref=pd_sim_e_7

That is what finally did it, prior to this I would get dropped audio as you describe but some drop outs for as much as 30 seconds for to fully recover. You are in the "art form" aspect here, with digital at RF frequencies and a very finicky multiple HDCP handshakes (PC / Receiver / TV and back) it does not take a lot to have issues audio drop outs are one of the main symptoms I had. I almost threw in the towel and went back to wireless but it has its pains also, one drop and it can be several minutes to get running again.

You might try other HDMI extenders also, I hear a lot of good things about those dual Cat-6 based repeaters, but did not try one, that was going to be my last try but you may want to make it your first but be warned, the little boxes for good ones are very expensive, you want something like Gefen.

In any event here are the pictures of what my Ceton Web shows for booted but not tuned and tuned but stopped:



and



If I were you I would be looking at my HDMI cable first if you have one 25 feet or longer, the next is your receiver, I happened to also be upgrading my receiver at the same time, and notice the new Sony was far more stable with the HDMI and DHCP than my old one was, perhaps there is a firmware upgrade for your receiver out there.

What really draws a vacuum is that virtually all of these headaches and costs are to deal with darned copy protection, so us honest guys are the only one paying price for all of this, I could easy cheat and just steal what I want but I try to play by the rules on these things but they sure make it hard. In the mean time the real thieves breeze right through copy protection.

Also be ready for another piece of bad news if you ever upgrade to a new PC or even replace certain components in your existing PC, I switched my boot drive from RAID 0 to SSD and play ready died, wmdrm pairing went red and in the end I had to delete the PlayReady directories and registry entries and as a result lost any copy protected content I had recorded off cable.

This stuff is clearly not ready for Prime time so this is still bleeding edge stuff from a support and integration perspective.
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks so much for the detailed reply. First, I DO have a 50' HDMI cable. It was custom purchased from www.bluejeanscable.com. I've always have good luck with them. That's the cable that runs through the walls, etc. It would stink to have to pull it all out. As I've said, if I play a blu-ray from the PC (i.e. simply remove the ceton from the loop), I don't notice this problem. I will test this for sure. It's interesting to note that I don't see this issue with any of the Ceton Echo WMC Extender devices.

I may try a signal repeater to go from the wall to the receiver... even though it's at the end of the 50' run. I will look into these devices and see if this solves my issues. Unfortunately that means $$... haha.

Any advice on how you cleanly re-installed play-ready?
post #11 of 16
JS > I just found where you found "Ready", that is on my System tab and not on the Tuner Tabs where I was looking. Mine says ready there all the time also.

I'll see if I can find the instructions I found to remove play ready fully and cleanly, and then the reinstall, in fact I think I posted the process steps on the Ceton user forum, I'll grab it and repost it here but don't do it unless you absolutely have to and now it sounds like it may not be your issue at all, just check your tuner tabs, if they are green then you are good on PlayReady.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSylvia007 View Post


Any advice on how you cleanly re-installed play-ready?

I would suggest an image back-up of the C: drive first if you have image BU software, I use Paragon...

1.) Close Media Center

2.) Open CMD prompt as Admin (click on the start mane, type cmd, right click on the exe and select "Start as admin"

3.) Type “net stop ehrecvr”

4.) Type “cd %programdata%\Microsoft\PlayReady”

5.) Type “del *.hds”

6.) Type “rmdir /s Cache”

7.) Type “cd %programdata%\Microsoft\ehome”

8.) Type “del *.hds”

9.) Type “rmdir /s Cache”

10.) Type “net start ehrecvr”

11.) Launch Media Center

12.) Go to Tasks->Settings->TV->Update PlayReady

After you do this any movie or TV show that has copy protection on it will be dead forever. ("Copy Once" will be the flags), also anything else WMC protected will be toast. I had to do this when my PlayReady got confused and would no longer update, thankfully I only had a few movies copy once protected (copy once is what allows to record it one time) and they were easy enough to re-record.

BTW -- have you tried any commercial killer software? I use VideoReDo TVSuite 4 and it scans the shows I record and marks the commercials and then I go delete them out and re-save the show commercial free, it really bring a whole new experience to commercial show, not to mention the time save, 30 minute shows have 19 - 21 minutes of content and 1 hour shows have 38 - 42 minutes, a typical 2 hour movie has a 30 minute save at minimum and a 3 or 4 hour movie typically is under 1.5 hours also the rest is commercials.

The reason I am looking around is I can't automate this thing, it gets too many wrong marks as it only used black screen edges as the trigger so I can't use the auto find and remove most, just the auto scan and mark so I am looking for a better answer that works with native .WTV files.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Ok! First off, thanks so much for the PlayReady instructions. I went into the tuner sections and although my TV signal was working fine on every channel (except for the sound cutouts), the PlayReady status was indeed RED. So I went through your steps, and manually removed the PlayReady, and re-updated and now all my tuner channels say "GREEN". Not sure if this will fix the cutouts, but I plan watching TV for the rest of tonight, so we shall see!

As far as commercial software, no, I never thought about looking into it. It was my impression that all the solutions out there pretty much sucked, and I have a 3TB drive to record my programs on. I don't usually let it get above 1TB of usage without watching things in my normal habits, so it hasn't been an issue for me yet. I don't really mind fast forwarding through them.

Maybe that't the next thing I need to look into...

I will report back if this fixes the cutouts.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSylvia007 View Post

Ok! First off, thanks so much for the PlayReady instructions. I went into the tuner sections and although my TV signal was working fine on every channel (except for the sound cutouts), the PlayReady status was indeed RED. So I went through your steps, and manually removed the PlayReady, and re-updated and now all my tuner channels say "GREEN". Not sure if this will fix the cutouts, but I plan watching TV for the rest of tonight, so we shall see!

As far as commercial software, no, I never thought about looking into it. It was my impression that all the solutions out there pretty much sucked, and I have a 3TB drive to record my programs on. I don't usually let it get above 1TB of usage without watching things in my normal habits, so it hasn't been an issue for me yet. I don't really mind fast forwarding through them.

Maybe that't the next thing I need to look into...

I will report back if this fixes the cutouts.

That should fix your micro-breaks, well at least it did for me, good luck.

As for paid or even shareware/freeware for TV, you heard right, most of it is garbage and what isn't garbage takes a rocket scientist to figure out and becomes a "hobby" in and of itself keeping it all working, that is why I stick with WMC, it is by far the best of the ones I have tried. The utility I spoke of is the only store bought software I have and the only 3rd party software except the Blu-ray plug in for WMC.

While the automatic commercial removal is garbage because is screws up too much to be usable, the package when run manually is very good, I can strip the commercials out of a 30 - 60 minute show in just a few minutes, I let it scan and mark them and then I decide what gets cut. To me it is worth it for commercial free shows, the time save may be close to a wash but the value add for us makes it more that worth it for us, your mileage may vary...
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

That should fix your micro-breaks, well at least it did for me, good luck.

As for paid or even shareware/freeware for TV, you heard right, most of it is garbage and what isn't garbage takes a rocket scientist to figure out and becomes a "hobby" in and of itself keeping it all working, that is why I stick with WMC, it is by far the best of the ones I have tried. The utility I spoke of is the only store bought software I have and the only 3rd party software except the Blu-ray plug in for WMC.

While the automatic commercial removal is garbage because is screws up too much to be usable, the package when run manually is very good, I can strip the commercials out of a 30 - 60 minute show in just a few minutes, I let it scan and mark them and then I decide what gets cut. To me it is worth it for commercial free shows, the time save may be close to a wash but the value add for us makes it more that worth it for us, your mileage may vary...

So... It's been pretty much 2 days across multiple channels, and YES, this has fixed my cut-outs!! So glad to have this fixed!

I'm going to look more in the commercial removal department... Have you been over to The Green Button? They have great resources.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSylvia007 View Post

So... It's been pretty much 2 days across multiple channels, and YES, this has fixed my cut-outs!! So glad to have this fixed!

I'm going to look more in the commercial removal department... Have you been over to The Green Button? They have great resources.

Glad to hear it worked.

Thanks for the site it looks great, I just registered there, I have not seen it before. I cobbled together my HTPC to replace Panasonic recorder that has big hard drive and let you edit shows, digital killed it and needed to be replaced, a dvr was not going to cut it, I don't like FF for skipping commercials, I like them cut so I get a seamless show, so I built this around WMC and the Ceton board, really worked out well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Sound micro-cutouts from Receiver while watching hdtv through Ceton InfiniTV on Windows 7 MCE