or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Bass Complaints!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bass Complaints!

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
biggrin.gif Well, today officially marks the day the neighbors came over for an informal complaint! Lol

FYI, that is just with ONE, yes ONE JTR S1 playing.biggrin.gif I sent Jeff the other one for repair and should receive it this week.

"Hello, my name is **** and I'm from 3 houses down. I like music too, but the other night at about 11 o'clock it sounded like an earthquake and I thought something was wrong with the house." eek.gif

I guess I need some sound deadening or absorbing panels in the living room, this is not gonna work out with my neighbors!

Anyway, thought it was crazy that my neighbors 3 houses down were woke up from the bass and now I feel bad! wink.gif Anybody else have any experiences to share???

Mike
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvetan1 View Post

I guess I need some sound deadening or absorbing panels in the living room
They'll have little to no effect on low frequencies. Adding a layer of 5/8" sheetrock to the walls is a minimal treatment where 50 foot wavelengths are concerned.
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Ouch! I guess not a whole lot I can do besides making my neighbors move. Lol. Sorry.... You know what happens when you complain, sub number 2 arrives this week! biggrin.gif
post #4 of 18
Yeah I used to get a visit every now and then. The thing is once it started it got worse. I kept turning down the level and she put up with less and less I guess. We got along fine but I had to remember she was next door when viewing. I have noticed since then in another house and my car that our bass is magnified (or so it seems) in the next house or car. You might try to alleviate the problem with coming up with a time frame that she would be willing to go by at more spirited levels although you indeed have other neighbors. One thing is for certain though, the situation can get much worse after the first visit. On one hand you want to enjoy your system, but then on the other you need to be considerate of others that find no joy in your sharing your system.
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
I hope that's not the case. I'm hardly even home to enjoy the bass in my HT, can't imagine if I had no life! Time for me to move out of a subdivision...
post #6 of 18
Can you create a concrete box within your room with an airtight sealed door? tongue.gif lol
post #7 of 18
All my testing has been during daylight hours. I've pondered this point. The wife is not a full fledged bass head so our usual listening level, MVC, is about -20 to -15dB. During testing, I go full +/-0dB but that's during the middle of the day when most souls are "working for a living."

What I don't get, is the difference between the output of the Marantz SR5008 and the Denon AVR4520CI. At lower levels, the SR5008, absolutely blows the 4520CI away but at continuous reference play, the 4520 absolutely blows the SR5008 away.

What's with that?

...confused.gif
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

All my testing has been during daylight hours. I've pondered this point. The wife is not a full fledged bass head so our usual listening level, MVC, is about -20 to -15dB. During testing, I go full +/-0dB but that's during the middle of the day when most souls are "working for a living."

What I don't get, is the difference between the output of the Marantz SR5008 and the Denon AVR4520CI. At lower levels, the SR5008, absolutely blows the 4520CI away but at continuous reference play, the 4520 absolutely blows the SR5008 away.

What's with that?

...confused.gif

Reads like you have DynEq engaged at different levels between the two.
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemX View Post

Can you create a concrete box within your room with an airtight sealed door? tongue.gif lol

I could wish! tongue.gif Just sucks all around.... I want to be considerate, but at the same time enjoy my late night movie sessions as well.

Beaman- that's quite strange. I have a Denon 4520 and I was listening to music at about -10db on the dial when the doorbell was engaged.biggrin.gif
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac View Post

Reads like you have DynEq engaged at different levels between the two.

Tomorrow, when the wife gives up the living room, I'll make more checks to see what I can do to duplicate the volume levels but so far, with each check, all settings have been the same. This point of all checked setting being the same is what makes the output difference so puzzling.
post #11 of 18
If I had to listen to someones boom box mad.gif
Disturbing the peace. Call the police, then sue if they dont stop.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post

If I had to listen to someones boom box mad.gif
Disturbing the peace. Call the police, then sue if they dont stop.

Wow. Glad your not my neighbor. Not because I play loud but because I have no need for people who jump straight to lawyers.

My first step would be to ask them to turn it down, or invite me over smile.gif
Edited by Ozzie Isaac - 1/22/14 at 6:15pm
post #13 of 18
Maybe wait 'til Friday or Saturday night if watching late? And, even then, I'd say midnight would be the cutoff for loud listening. Or, as was suggested, work out some times. We know our neighbors pretty well, so I just FB message them just before to get the green light (just to be neighborly).
post #14 of 18
Easy fix for this, have someone mow your lawn at 11pm and that should mask the subs noise enough for them not to notice.
post #15 of 18
Even better, have your neighbor come over for movie night. LoL
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

Easy fix for this, have someone mow your lawn at 11pm and that should mask the subs noise enough for them not to notice.
hahaa, that is genius! biggrin.gif

I will have to move out of my apartment so I can use this tongue.gif lol
post #17 of 18
You know the old saying..."Don't **** where you eat. Pissing off your neighbor enough to get them knocking on your door and complaining is how things can escalate into feuds if you aren't careful. They'll be listening for it now, and it's just a matter of time until they make "official" complaints if you continue. You don't need that, and honestly, neither do they. I love bass, but I don't want to hear someone's system or car pounding when I'm trying to relax in my home, no one does. For late night movie watching, I was able to back the sub down quite a bit by using bass transducers. The perceived bass is very effective without being "that dick down the street". I'd swear it's way too loud until I get off the sofa and go in the next room. Barely audible then. Just a thought.
post #18 of 18
My neighbors got freaked out during playing test tones... They had objects vibrating in the house while i was doing really slow 20-40hz sweeps. Dual fathom 212 are being partially wasted in my room since i cant go totally nuts with them...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Bass Complaints!