or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › YPAU vs Audyssey XT32
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

YPAU vs Audyssey XT32

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hello to all.. I'm hoping to get some feedback from those who have experience using both YPAU & Audyssey 32

I will be upgrading my AVR in the near future. My top two contenders right now are the RX-A3030

and the SR7008..They both sound great to me. I'm drawn to the Yamaha mainly for build quality and power. But I've read so much more positive about Audyssey 32..  all  I know about room correction is from reading.

No personal experience with it due to the age of my current AVR .

Do you loose much w/out bass management? Currently running 1 sub but will be going w/ 2 soon.

 

I have read a lot of the room correction threads. And what I've gotten from that is that Audyssey xt32 is da bomb, and that YPAU yea it's ok..Lacks bass management.

 

I continue to learn every time I read this forum!

Thanks!

post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 

Well after posting this and doing  more reading. I think I've answered my own question.

I would still be interested in the opinion of those who have used both.

 

Mental note..When I think I've learned enough, read more..

post #3 of 12
What was the answer you came up with? In my experience dual subs are more trouble than they're worth, if you don't need the volume for the size of the room, so I got rid of one of my SVSs and don't plan on going back the dual route any time soon, but we have a very small HT.

I do like what I'm hearing about Yamaha's build quality. But, I don't have any experience with Yamaha and it doesn't seem like it's worth sacrificing Audyssey XT32. I've just begun looking into it, but so far all the comparisons I've found to Audyssey are dated by a couple years, and I believe Yamaha's improved since. Whether or not those improvements are on the level of XT32, I haven't found anything yet.
post #4 of 12
The version of YPAO used on the 2030 and 3030 does include sub EQ and additionally dual sub EQ as well.
post #5 of 12
Been searching for same comparisons… a review on that other site of the yamaha a3020 (and comparison to the denon 4520ci) found the two receivers to be very comparable. The biggest complaint for the a3020 was the inability to successfully deal with multiple subs in autoeq. He was able to get all right with some manual parametric EQ, but that was not required with the audyssey xt32 on the denon. SO, my takeaway from that review was that the ypao allows for more manual tweaking, but needs it to achieve similar results to auto xt32 with subeq. For me, I'd probably be tempted to go with manually adjusting the ypao autoeq and taming the sub with PEQ on my rythmik. The little extra effort in initial setup seems a fair trade to avoid potential HDMI reliability issues the onkyos/integras are notorious for. The Denon and Marantz seem to be good options, but a bit more pricey.
Edited by dougri - 1/23/14 at 3:57pm
post #6 of 12
This is my experience with both over the last 2 years. I use a yamaha 2010 for everyday use watching directv after work/weekends. I'm a klipsch fan so speakers are rb51 bookshelves with rc52 center and rb41 surrounds. Subs are dual polk psw105. Ypao does a great job and sounds very good for movies, general tv sports and xbone. For my projector setup used primarily for blurays and some directv I use a denon 4311 with again klipsch rf82, rc62 and paradigm surrounds. This is a quad sub setup with dual klipsch rw12d's up front between the rf82's and dual PSA xs30's slightly behind my listening position. Xt32 on this setup just "shines" in my opinion. This is also the system I listen to 2 channel music with. So which one sounds better? Well, they both do a great job and in my opinion sound more the same rather than different. With that said my music preference for both is with Ypao/audyssey OFF!
post #7 of 12
I'm pretty sure Yamaha did a small redesign of the 2030/3030 compared to the previous years. They changed the dac's to ESS Sabre 9016/9006. They may have improved the dual subwoofer eq. Can't find verification.

Starting with post #719 by TKO1 is a relevant comparison.

"Hi everyone, herewith another update of my experiences with the CX-A5000 to include a couple of Fuzz Measure graphs from my measurements today on the CX-A5000 (25 October 2013) and on my Denon AVR-4311CI (6 September 2013)."

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474980/the-official-yamaha-aventage-rx-a1030-rx-a2030-rx-a3030-and-cx-a5000-mx-a5000-thread/690
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 

Chad, every time I think I come up w/ an answer I learn something new. What I do know (personal preference of course) I like the way the Yamaha and the Marantz sound. 

As for the 2nd sub..I've always just used one. My listening room has increased in size dramatically 20' 34'. Currently I'm running a 10"  Energy That's just not doing it. Pretty sure a 15" would change that (assumption)  But that would mean more $$$

My wifes uncle gave us a spare sub years ago, not really sure what brand it is. I'm going to dig it out of the garage this wknd. 

It kind of sounds like we're in the same boat.. At least when it comes to room correction.

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGHUNTER View Post

This is my experience with both over the last 2 years. I use a yamaha 2010 for everyday use watching directv after work/weekends. I'm a klipsch fan so speakers are rb51 bookshelves with rc52 center and rb41 surrounds. Subs are dual polk psw105. Ypao does a great job and sounds very good for movies, general tv sports and xbone. For my projector setup used primarily for blurays and some directv I use a denon 4311 with again klipsch rf82, rc62 and paradigm surrounds. This is a quad sub setup with dual klipsch rw12d's up front between the rf82's and dual PSA xs30's slightly behind my listening position. Xt32 on this setup just "shines" in my opinion. This is also the system I listen to 2 channel music with. So which one sounds better? Well, they both do a great job and in my opinion sound more the same rather than different. With that said my music preference for both is with Ypao/audyssey OFF!


I've read from quite a few about just turning it off..Great input from your experiance thank you!

post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougri View Post

Been searching for same comparisons… a review on that other site of the yamaha a3020 (and comparison to the denon 4520ci) found the two receivers to be very comparable. The biggest complaint for the a3020 was the inability to successfully deal with multiple subs in autoeq. He was able to get all right with some manual parametric EQ, but that was not required with the audyssey xt32 on the denon. SO, my takeaway from that review was that the ypao allows for more manual tweaking, but needs it to achieve similar results to auto xt32 with subeq. For me, I'd probably be tempted to go with manually adjusting the ypao autoeq and taming the sub with PEQ on my rythmik. The little extra effort in initial setup seems a fair trade to avoid potential HDMI reliability issues the onkyos/integras are notorious for. The Denon and Marantz seem to be good options, but a bit more pricey.


I will be upgrading from a Denon 3802.. I so wanted to like the 4000 or the 4520 but I was much more drawn to the sound of Marantz and Yamaha...Indeed more $$ though... The more I read and of course listen to either of these AVR's sr7008 or a3020/3030

The better I feel about buying one.

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The version of YPAO used on the 2030 and 3030 does include sub EQ and additionally dual sub EQ as well.


Thanks JD I actually figured that out after I posted this. I am currently waiting on shipment of a Paradigm CC-590

AVR is next..So I'm sure I will be talking to you in the not so distant future...

post #12 of 12
This is just my opinion. I like Onkyo, yes I know about the HDMI board issues, knock on wood no problems yet. I only did 1 installation for someone with a Yamaha receiver and I hated it. To me it was not very user friendly at all, but again I'm used to Onkyo. The version of YPAO that this receiver had was horrible and I didn't like it ( it was the lowest version of YPAO). If I were to buy a new receiver it would either be Onkyo or Denon.

As for dual subs, I went dual and I won't ever go back to single again. Dual is so much better much more even bass throughout the room. However you really should use 2 identical subs, and for a room that is 20' X 34' and assuming 8' ceilings that is huge @ 5440 cubic feet, and if the room is open to any other areas that space needs to be considered as well. Realistically speaking to get great bass in that room you would probably need something like 2 Rythmik FV15HP's. FWIW I have 2 Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus's in a 2400 cubic foot room with a 4' wide floor to ceiling opening to rest of house. My subs work great BUT I wouldn't want any less than what I have.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › YPAU vs Audyssey XT32