I've been a member on here for a long time but kind of dropped out during the dark years of audio/video progression. My last purchase was a Yamaha RX-V1600. Did the job for me and still running like a champ. Problem is, even champs get old and need to retire. Maybe the game room???
In any case, I need help so badly and I have been caught in the vortex of AVS reading and research for a while now and I really don't know if I'm any closer to buying something! So, I thought i'd give something a try to see if you folks can at least help me narrow my search.
I'm going to list the things I know I want, including features that some might poo-poo. It's ok though. Poo on it all you want. Maybe I don't understand the value that the feature actually provides, so I'm more than happy to scratch something off my wants list if it's a general consensus that it's "meh".
First, I will list my speakers so you have an idea of what I'm listening to. No clue if it matters to folks or not but more info can't hurt.
Cobalt 816S towers for fronts, 806S for rears, CC800 for center. Velodyne SPL 1000 (I think. Can't see exact number)
- Good, powerful, clear sound - sci-fi buff and xbox gamer
- 5.1 because I really don't much care about presence, rear, ceiling or whatever else is out there.
- Minimum of 5-6 HDMI in ports
- Whatever it is that I need to properly run my Chromecast. Sounds like MHL??? Unsure here.
- Good video! I have seen a few mentions that some products aren't up to par on video these days.
- Audyssey *Note: I only list that because it seems like most everyone likes it over whatever else is offered. Open to opinion here.
- Built-in networking.
Things I have no idea if I should care about:
- 4k passthrough?
- Phone apps
- Phone USB
- Listen to music without TV?
- Multiple HDMI out
- Mention of the dual core video processing and such
- THX Certified
- Audessey version
- HDMI 2.0
Don't care at all about
- Multiple zones
- Presence speakers
- Dual subs
One more thing. Only really saw one site that allowed me to pick certain features, price range, etc. that was any good. Doesn't mean others don't exist but this was the one I found. It gave me three receivers to choose from but I'm not comfortable that I made the right selections, which is what lead me to this post.
I pray some of you give me feedback here. I know opinions are just that, but I'm really looking for some help on adding or eliminating wants/needs first and then maybe I can make a better choice.
Thank-you so much in advance!