or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › best controller solution for using ROMS and gaming on HTPC ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

best controller solution for using ROMS and gaming on HTPC ?

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
For you guys that game with your HTPC or use ROM and EMULATORS what is the best solution you have found for a controller ?
post #2 of 23
So far I found that the MS Wireless Receiver for Xbox 360 controller work well and pretty cheap on amazon.
post #3 of 23

The XBOX 360 Controller is nice for console ports that support it but the D-PAD is not the greatest for emulators. 

post #4 of 23
I've been using the Logitech F710. It can be used in either direct input mode or xinput (xbox 360 controller) mode. Mostly I've just been leaving it in xinput mode and it's worked for just about everything I've tried. (There is an issue getting rumble to work with Project64 that seems to be related to it being a wireless controller.)
post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 
I'm just wondering what is the best accessory to get into the PC ?? The wireless XBOX 360 one ?
post #6 of 23
I've tried several with varying degrees of success.

The XB360 controllers have proven to be the least hassle in terms of getting them to work properly, but I don't really like them for older games.

I had a few of the Logitech Wireless Rumblepads, but I always seemed to have issues getting them to sync with the receivers so I gave up on them.

What I ended up with for retro gaming was a collection USB knock offs similar to these:

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-USB-NES-Controller-PC/dp/B002YVD3KM/ref=sr_1_1
http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Nintendo-Controller-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B0034ZOAO0/ref=sr_1_4
http://www.amazon.com/NINTENDO-64-CLASSIC-ENABLED-CONTROLLER-RETROLINK/dp/B008L3UUPS/ref=sr_1_3
http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Retrolink-USB-Controller-RETROBIT/dp/B0080M0C4O/ref=sr_1_3
post #7 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

I've tried several with varying degrees of success.

The XB360 controllers have proven to be the least hassle in terms of getting them to work properly, but I don't really like them for older games.

I had a few of the Logitech Wireless Rumblepads, but I always seemed to have issues getting them to sync with the receivers so I gave up on them.

What I ended up with for retro gaming was a collection USB knock offs similar to these:

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-USB-NES-Controller-PC/dp/B002YVD3KM/ref=sr_1_1
http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Nintendo-Controller-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B0034ZOAO0/ref=sr_1_4
http://www.amazon.com/NINTENDO-64-CLASSIC-ENABLED-CONTROLLER-RETROLINK/dp/B008L3UUPS/ref=sr_1_3
http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Retrolink-USB-Controller-RETROBIT/dp/B0080M0C4O/ref=sr_1_3

That is sweet. ^ biggrin.gif

Do you need drivers for them ?
post #8 of 23
Windows 7x64 recognized them without straight out of the box.
post #9 of 23
Thread Starter 
For $7 that NES one is a no brainer
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

For $7 that NES one is a no brainer

As you might expect, the quality of those controllers is a little... iffy. But I still think they are an okay value. If you were really into playing retro games a lot, You can dig up schematics for building a USB converter for the original controllers, which appear to be a little more durable.
post #11 of 23

I would recommend something from here:

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products.php?category=usb

 

I purchased this http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/atari2usb/index.php a few years ago.

It works with SEGA Genesis/Atari controllers...and the 4 player adapter for the Genesis as well.

 

Nothing is going to beat the original controllers.

post #12 of 23
I use a Wiimote for NES games and the Wii Classic Controller for SNES and Genesis. Given that Wii controllers use Bluetooth this gives you an easy to manipulate wireless solution.

I don't like it for N64 so ive been planning a replacement for that. Ive seen instuctables that will let you use a real n64 controller and program an Arduino to act as a usb interface.
post #13 of 23

Here's another good place to purchase Genesis, SNES, NES, and Atari adapters: http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=0ce57d644f2d44f52caffb9384e02d62

post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
Wow cool thanks !
post #15 of 23
Am I the only one still using an adaptoid + n64 controller. Sadly there is no rumble support in 64 bit os but otherwise it works fine.
post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
I am still on the fence about which to buy
post #17 of 23
I have a Logitech Playstation style dual analog stick controller too. It is really tough to use with a lot of the older games. The Nintendo stuff especially wants you to have a + style directional pad (which for some reason I think they hold a patent on). I've used that controller for PC sports games and GTA, but it was impossible to use accurately with the classic stuff.
post #18 of 23
The d-pad on the XBox 360 wireless controller sucks but the newly designed ones (labeled as "with transforming d-pad") are good. They allow you to switch the d-pad from a disc to a plus. I leave it permanently in the plus mode. Never saw a need for the disc mode.
post #19 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlantNGo View Post

The d-pad on the XBox 360 wireless controller sucks but the newly designed ones (labeled as "with transforming d-pad") are good. They allow you to switch the d-pad from a disc to a plus. I leave it permanently in the plus mode. Never saw a need for the disc mode.

is this a piece you swap out ?
post #20 of 23
Not swap out, just spin. You grab the disc or plus by the side and push it to spin it. It's kind of tight so I don't see it getting spun accidentally.
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

The XBOX 360 Controller is nice for console ports that support it but the D-PAD is not the greatest for emulators. 

I agree. The 360 D-pad is awful.

Personally I use a Logitech F710 for general use and actual console controllers + USB adapters when I need more authenticity, especially for things like Gamecube and N64 emulation.
post #22 of 23
Thread Starter 
I used the Xbox wireless USB and controller last night on some left 4 dead2 and it was nearly identical to the console. Thanks for that suggestion !
post #23 of 23
I used the xbox 360 controller for n64, snes and genesis games. It as useful for NES games but works well for pretty much everything else.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › best controller solution for using ROMS and gaming on HTPC ?