or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Emotiva XMC-1 Pre/Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Emotiva XMC-1 Pre/Pro

post #1 of 950
Thread Starter 
Well it's official, the first pre/pro or receiver announced with HDMI 2.0. Will this change anyone's mind about getting it?

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 950
...not mine
post #3 of 950
Hmmm... I sure hope they did this right! They've been trying to release it for how long now? Past pre/pro issues and some current CS issues could hurt emo on this one. I'll stick to my Denon 4520 for now. This will be interesting, if ever released....
post #4 of 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

Well it's official, the first pre/pro or receiver announced with HDMI 2.0. Will this change anyone's mind about getting it?

It has to be released to be the "first". I will bet money this pre/pro will not be the first hdmi 2.0 to hit the streets...
post #5 of 950
It definitely changed my mind. I was planning to hold off on buying the XMC-1 (perhaps for an XMC-200?) because of it. The reason is that I also want to get a Panas​onic TC-AX80​0U 4k Ultra HDTV so HDMI 2.0 has been on my list of must have features for a pre/pro.
post #6 of 950
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyd View Post

It has to be released to be the "first". I will bet money this pre/pro will not be the first hdmi 2.0 to hit the streets...

Isnt it scheduled for release in 2 weeks? Whats coming sooner than that?
post #7 of 950
Thought it was limited pre orders in May, and probably not full force until summer? Would definitely need some strong reviews and beta testing, before I'd even think about it. I'm sure by then, Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, etc, will have some strong contenders.
post #8 of 950
Presumably every AVR or PrePro with the new and faster HDMI chipsets will be described (inappropriately!) as "HDMI 2.0", but, without knowing how much faster and which HDMI 2.0 features that speed permitted the CEM to implement, the simple label "HDMI 2.0" is not in itself very useful.

It's likely every manufacturer's claim of "HDMI 2.0" will imply implementation of 3840x2160|60p video--but I expect it will be wise to examine an AVR specification carefully to determine which other HDMI 2.0 performance criteria the AVR actually includes...?!
_
post #9 of 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

Isnt it scheduled for release in 2 weeks? Whats coming sooner than that?

There's no way that device will be out in 2 weeks. I'm going to guess summer at the earliest. As I understand it, the 2.0 chips aren't even shipping, so...
post #10 of 950
Specs are amazing! Made in USA as well...Wow! Emotiva bringing out the big guns!
post #11 of 950
Based on their last fiasco of a pre/pro release, I would wait until user reports come in. Hopefully they hit a home run with HDMI 2.0 and Dirac but with Emotiva, I will believe it when I see it. If they release a fairly bug free device, this could be a big hit for them.
post #12 of 950
I get the excitement, but I think it's silly to talk about which pre/pro will be first out of the gate with HDMI 2.0. The fact is, on paper, this is one hell of a machine. It's feature set is spectacular for the price point. As far as the company's history with bugs, I don't think that should stop anyone from pulling the trigger on an XMC-1. If you're concerned, just hang on to your current gear. If a bad bug surfaces that might result in some lengthy downtime, then you have your prior unit to swap back in. I tell you what, this machine, if it isn't bug ridden, is going to shake the industry to the core. Which side of history to you want to be on depends on your willingness to accept a small amount of risk. I for one am plunging in on DAY 1.
post #13 of 950
I don't think I could live without Audyssey XT32...lol.
post #14 of 950

I'd very much like to see this company succeed with this. If  you've got one of their big discounts, (I don't) I doubt you can go too wrong pulling the trigger on this on Day1. I suspect their customer service efforts on this will be 2nd to none. I like dealing with a small company where there's a chance they'll listen to their customers' wishes and suggestions and act upon them. Having said that, I've done the "early adopter" thing enough times to know that in many instances all you do is help discover the after-market bugs only to watch the product being sold for less to late-comers just before it goes obsolete. So for me, right now it's ignore the hype and wait a while. 

post #15 of 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by spentmuch View Post

I'd very much like to see this company succeed with this. If  you've got one of their big discounts, (I don't) I doubt you can go too wrong pulling the trigger on this on Day1. I suspect their customer service efforts on this will be 2nd to none. I like dealing with a small company where there's a chance they'll listen to their customers' wishes and suggestions and act upon them. Having said that, I've done the "early adopter" thing enough times to know that in many instances all you do is help discover the after-market bugs only to watch the product being sold for less to late-comers just before it goes obsolete. So for me, right now it's ignore the hype and wait a while. 

Emo, somewhat like Oppo, is known for excellent customer support. That is another reason why I feel it is worth the "risk" in obtaining an XMC-1 sooner rather than later (once they hit the market of course). Though I was in the majority of owners of a UMC pre/pro who didn't experience a glitch, it was still a major pain to upgrade the firmware. That will no longer be a problem given the XMC-1's announced USB-A on the front and rear which will serve in part for firmware updating right from a stick.

I respect your position though. I am a holder of one of the upgrade cards so will save $800 on the XMC-1 and that's no small chunk of change. Add in to the fact that you're content to wait and thus presumably also content with your current gear, and I'd say . . . wait. Hopefully you won't be reading the frantic cries of us first wave of buyers posts in tech help threads written at midnight!
post #16 of 950

It's not even about the money...well, in a way it sort of is...but indirectly. The $1200 this will cost you if you have an $800 discount may not be chump change. But it wouldn't devastate your life even if it all happened to go down the toilet. (Except that it probably wouldn't be enough to pay the plumber). Anyone who would be devastated to lose" $1200 should refrain from drooling over this stuff to begin with.  It's the "gotta be first to have every new feature" mentality that can have no upper bounds. Granted, it's not as easy to spend your future retirement now as it used to be when pre-pros could easily command 12-18K or a CRT projector for 30K. I'm just saying...if you're going for newer, it just still makes sense that you're really getting better. Seriously better. And to your own ears as opposed to what you've read or who uses the latest chip. And...in my preachy but still somewhat humble opinion...should offer some expectation of longevity. So yeah...the price tags are generally much leaner, but the interval between "need" to "upgrade" (and I use the term "upgrade" very loosely) has become very short. Denon, Marantz, Onyko, Harmon...are all way more similar than they are different (per pricepoint) and these big companies are not terribly responsive toward improving an existing product as opposed to just coming out with a newer model. Emo could be different and they could be better, but they've got something to prove and a legacy to improve upon.  I'll patiently await the real world reviews of this thing with some tendency to disregard the earliest commenters, who tend be on a honeymoon with their new purchase for a while.

post #17 of 950
I received an email yesterday stating that they expected to ship the first XMC's in March, with a slow start due to "ramping up" the production at their new facility...and the long list of individuals who have pre-ordered the unit, adding a potential 6 to 8 weeks to that date. I too would love for them to succeed, but I would not be an early adopter...I haven't the patience, or knowledge base, to deal with the inevitable firmware issues that such a complex component is likely to have. Also being on the front end of HDMI 2.0 is probably not going to be a fun place to be. That said, my hats off to those of you going for it. You are courageous indeed!
post #18 of 950
Where is it official? Their website product page still shows it as HDMI 1.4.
post #19 of 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post

Where is it official? Their website product page still shows it as HDMI 1.4.

Emo hasn't updated the product page on their website yet. Listen to the podcast here.
post #20 of 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Based on their last fiasco of a pre/pro release, I would wait until user reports come in. Hopefully they hit a home run with HDMI 2.0 and Dirac but with Emotiva, I will believe it when I see it. If they release a fairly bug free device, this could be a big hit for them.

couldn't agree more.
post #21 of 950
I've got a Denon 4520 currently. The only thing that caught my eye about this unit, aside from the convenience of the quoted HDMI 2.0 -which will roll out elsewhere in due course naturally, is the use of Dirac room correction. Although I hardly think at $2K its going to be a cut price Datasat RS20i somehow unfort..
post #22 of 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

I've got a Denon 4520 currently. The only thing that caught my eye about this unit, aside from the convenience of the quoted HDMI 2.0 -which will roll out elsewhere in due course naturally, is the use of Dirac room correction. Although I hardly think at $2K its going to be a cut price Datasat RS20i somehow unfort..

I think it is more like Dirac-lite rather than Dirac. I believe there will be only one user-programmable curve. This will probably be enough for most folks. I'd be on it like a Duck on a June Bug if it supported 11.x audio processing.
post #23 of 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

I think it is more like Dirac-lite rather than Dirac. I believe there will be only one user-programmable curve. This will probably be enough for most folks. I'd be on it like a Duck on a June Bug if it supported 11.x audio processing.

Yeah that's what my gut tells me. There's no way they are going to undercut the likes of the RS20i's Dirac implementation for that kind of money. I'll wait for the Audioholics and other reviews to see how well the Emotiva fares though. I'm certainly not expecting MX151 level performance either for $2k, as much as I'm sure everyone would be stoked to see that including myself.
post #24 of 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

I think it is more like Dirac-lite rather than Dirac. I believe there will be only one user-programmable curve. This will probably be enough for most folks.
Don't underestimate the value of even one user-definable curve. Users who take advantage of this feature are gonna wonder how they ever did without one.
post #25 of 950
Can't wait for mine to arrive, Dirac and fully balanced in/out alone make it well worth the price and then some.
post #26 of 950
New video up on Emo's YouTube page "Emotiva XMC-1 AV Preamp Processor ":
The anticipation grows!!!
post #27 of 950
Wow, it looks handsome smile.gif

post #28 of 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emetw View Post

Wow, it looks handsome smile.gif


Agreed, the all black with no silver accents looks sweet. Looking forward to first user reports.
post #29 of 950
Agreed, I was not looking forward to the silver accents or the dimpled volume knob. This is better than expected smile.gif
post #30 of 950
It is hard to tell in that picture but is the volume knob and the smaller buttons black or silver? I agree it is a very nice looking prepro.

Bill
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Emotiva XMC-1 Pre/Pro