or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Small subwoofer for NYC appartment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Small subwoofer for NYC appartment

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Hi,

 

I am upgrading from a HT in a box and have recently bought a pair of Polk TSX550 and Polk FX A4 for the back surround; those are hooked to a Sony STR1040. I am building my HT piece by piece for budget reasons and haven't yet bought my center channel (Polk TSX250 most likely or CSI A4...). I am using this setup for music (a lot), Movies and occasionally games.

I am now looking for a small subwoofer at a reasonable price of course that will:

- match my setup 

- keep my wife happy....

- be relatively small

- ensure my neighbors (below, above and on the same floor) don't call the cops.

 

other relevant information:

- i won't be able to fit a big sub like the BIC F12...the tower speakers are already space consuming

- i have hardwood floor

- the room is 26 feet wide by 12 long and i am roughly 11 feet from the front speakers

- the front speakers are against the external wall and so will the subwoofer

 

let me know if you need more info in order to help with an eventual recommendation.

 

Thanks

 

Vince

 

 

post #2 of 20
"Reasonable price" is a bit vague, but I'll suggest the SVS SB-1000 or PB-1000, either of which is $499, shipped.
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 

i was more around 300$... or less :) of course

post #4 of 20
Dayton SUB-1200, available through parts-express.com. It's an inexpensive but well-rated sub.

See also this thread - List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less) - for more ideas.
post #5 of 20
4 x orbit shifters
post #6 of 20
Quote:
4 x orbit shifters
For $300?! I'll take 'em! biggrin.gif
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Dayton SUB-1200, available through parts-express.com. It's an inexpensive but well-rated sub.

See also this thread - List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less) - for more ideas.

+1 on the Sub-1200 I would get 2 of them...



http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

a review...

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/71766-dayton-audio-sub-1200-subwoofer-review.html
post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 

this doesn't really solve for my space issue... dayton seems big already... 2 of them (in 2 opposite corners?)

this seems as big as the BIC F12, right?

post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinz1982 View Post

this doesn't really solve for my space issue... dayton seems big already... 2 of them (in 2 opposite corners?)
this seems as big as the BIC F12, right?

F12

21 x 19 x 22 inches (HxWxD)

Dayton Sub-1200

Dimensions: 16-3/4" H x 16-3/16" W x 17-3/4" D.

The dayton 10"

Dimensions: 14-3/4" H x 14-3/16" W x 15-3/4" D

You can just stack the subs, but if you have room placing them in different locations can smooth out the response. I guess as seeing you are in an apartment 1 would be good. I have never lived in an apartment where I could use a sub without upsetting the neighbors.
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinz1982 
this doesn't really solve for my space issue... dayton seems big already...
You're looking for a small, WAF-friendly sub for ~$300, but your room - assuming an 8' ceiling - is ~2,500 cu.ft. in size. If you also want half-decent performance, something's gotta give.

If it's not going to be size, then IMO you should strongly consider bumping the budget to $499 and getting the SVS SB-1000.

It's very compact and offers good performance - see this review for more information - and if you decide you don't like it (or if it doesn't pass WAF), SVS offers free return shipping within 45 days, so the cost of the in-home demo is $0.
post #11 of 20
Hsu STF-1 (or STF-2 if you raise the budget a little) are good small subs.
post #12 of 20
Outlaw M8 or dayton sub800...neither will do that room any justice but they do fit your size requirement.

Compact
Output
Budget

Pick 2!
post #13 of 20

Vinz, 

 

The HSU STF-1 is 300 shipped, and would be a great choice.  

post #14 of 20
Op of you want used sub, I seen some small subs on our local cl. Maybe you might also want to consider used sub.
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinz1982 View Post

this doesn't really solve for my space issue... dayton seems big already... 2 of them (in 2 opposite corners?)
this seems as big as the BIC F12, right?

You might want to define your size restriction. Do you require "ultra compact" (say 11" cubed max), or "compact"? I recently did a lot of research on subs in the ultra compact range. I was willing to sacrifice output to avoid having a big ugly box in my living room. However, one problem with size is that small size + relatively high output = high $$$ and small size + low $$$ = low output. Some I considered were Sunfire HRS-8, Earthquake Minime, Nile SW8, Pinnacle Subsonic SW-6.5, Sunfire Atmos, Sunfire True EQ 10 Signature, Mirage MM-6 and Sunfire True Super Junior. The only one you'll sniff for $300 (even used) is the Mirage, and that's only rated to 42Hz, not to mention the company has basically been shut down in the U.S. Besides pipe organ and synths, no instrument I know of goes below 28Hz. Only some of the Sunfires on this list (the models that aren't made anymore) approach that range. So forget the lows of HT, although your low volume level requirements make that seem a low priority to you anyway. But you'll probably have to go up to the "compact" size to fit your price.
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinz1982 View Post

Hi,

I am upgrading from a HT in a box and have recently bought a pair of Polk TSX550 and Polk FX A4 for the back surround; those are hooked to a Sony STR1040. I am building my HT piece by piece for budget reasons and haven't yet bought my center channel (Polk TSX250 most likely or CSI A4...). I am using this setup for music (a lot), Movies and occasionally games.
I am now looking for a small subwoofer at a reasonable price of course that will:
- match my setup 
- keep my wife happy....
- be relatively small
- ensure my neighbors (below, above and on the same floor) don't call the cops.

other relevant information:
- i won't be able to fit a big sub like the BIC F12...the tower speakers are already space consuming
- i have hardwood floor
- the room is 26 feet wide by 12 long and i am roughly 11 feet from the front speakers
- the front speakers are against the external wall and so will the subwoofer

let me know if you need more info in order to help with an eventual recommendation.

Thanks

Vince


Vince,

I'm selling a vintage Polk Audio subwoofer (PSW120) that I'm certain would be the perfect fit for your situation. It has served me very well in my former apartment and military barracks. The sub is very compact (13"H x 9.5"W x 19"D). I can gladly answer any questions you may have and provide pictures if you're interested.
post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjenk View Post


Vince,

I'm selling a vintage Polk Audio subwoofer (PSW120) that I'm certain would be the perfect fit for your situation. It has served me very well in my former apartment and military barracks. The sub is very compact (13"H x 9.5"W x 19"D). I can gladly answer any questions you may have and provide pictures if you're interested.

 

Hi mrjenk,

 

if you are in NYC and depending on the price you want to sell this, i might consider. if you are not in NYC, sorry not interested ;)

 

Vince

post #18 of 20
I'm in Baltimore. Selling price is $125.

Bryan
post #19 of 20
Mordaunt Short Aviano 7. Not going to have extension below 30hz, but since you are in an apartment where deep hitting bass could cause problems with neighbors and restricted by the size of the sub, seems like a good option. Fits your budget, too. Let the wife pick the color to make her happy smile.gif
post #20 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjenk View Post

I'm in Baltimore. Selling price is $125.

Bryan

Sorry, not interested, but thanks anyway

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Small subwoofer for NYC appartment