So... I have a room in my basement that has already been finished. Due to an unforeseen disaster (flood) said room is now being re-purposed. Although this room didn't sustain any damage we are rearranging our basement and I now have the opportunity to do what I've always wanted to... build a dedicated home theater. I'm new to AVS, but from what I've been reading so far this forum rocks! Lots of great info here.
I am fairly handy (make some small furniture, usually fix most things around house myself, good with wiring, build my own computers, etc...) but I'm always learning and a home theater will definitely be something new I haven't tackled yet. Any advice is much appreciated.
Although I could rip out drywall and start with a completely clean slate I'd like to avoid this as much as possible. However, I am amenable to opening a hole here and there. I suppose if you twist my arm I'd take out several large pieces of drywall.
About that room:
The layout is a little funky with the entry area slightly wider by 2' (due to the foundation). Dimensions are 15' 5" x 23' 3" with the far end a bit narrower 13' 5". Height is 7' 10" - there is a drywalled drop ceiling to cover up a significant amount of ductwork, cables, and pipes running lengthwise across the middle of the room. There is little chance of moving these into soffits due to the number and size. So I'm stuck with a ceiling a bit on the low end. The good thing is there is room in the ceiling to run cables/conduit. Entry is via french doors on the angled wall. Smaller door at front leads into a wine cellar (project from a few years back). Closet on the far end is nearly 4' x 3'. I'm going to convert this to the A/V closet. There are no windows.
Initial thoughts on what the room could look like:
Link to SketchUp File: PaninoHomeTheaterRoom.zip 211k .zip file
Wants / Desires / Ridiculous wishes that may never come true:
- Higher ceiling. (not going to happen as mentioned above, but I'd like to find a way to make the room look taller)
- 2 rows of seating - 7 or 8 people total if possible (back row on a riser).
- 92" diag fixed screen (16:9).
- Something to break up the walls (for aesthetics and acoustics) - possibly columns and sconces.
- LED lighting under lip of riser.
- Floating crown molding at top of wall with LED lighting in trough (might also use as a cable run).
- Way to cover up A/V closet door/opening. (? curtains... ? build a second wall slightly in front.)
- Extra circuits and cooling/venting for A/V closet (will contain all A/V equipment as well as a few servers and switches).
- Would like to paint a star ceiling (have experience already). Problem is lighting it (e.g. concealing the blacklights).
- Extra space in back for another chair, table, or counter with theater goodies.
Equipment I currently have from my previous makeshift theater:
- Klipsch RC52 center
- Klipsch RS52 surrounds
- Klipsch RF52 front
- Klipsch RW10d sub
- Panasonic AE3000 projector
- Onkyo TX-SR706 receiver
- Pivos video streamer
- Samsung Blu-ray player
- 2 servers (1 Western Digital DX4000 NAS, 1 homebuilt)
I have no definite timeline for completion, although my wife does. She'd like it done sooner rather than later, so I'm probably shooting to have this done by end of summer/fall. Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll try and post some actual pix of the room in my next post.