or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Newbie Needs Theater Help

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Hi all. I am in the process of building a house and need some help with the theater.

I have a 12x12 room. On the back wall I will have one row of seating via a sectional couch. My head will be about 10.5 - 11 feet from the screen while sitting on the couch.

From what I've read on other threads, I can go with a 120 inch screen. Is this too big? Should I go smaller for this distance?

I need to tell the electrician where to instal my power outlet for the projector. Do the experts prefer a shelf on the back wall or a ceiling mount?

How far back do I need to instal the projector to get 120 inches? Will I need to shop for a short throw projector?

Lastly, any projectors around $1,000 that would fit this room size well and give me full HD and maybe 3D?

Thank you!
post #2 of 9
2.35:1 format or 16:9. 120 diagonal or width?
post #3 of 9

I am certainly no expert, but I will tell you, I think 120 inches of screen from that distance sounds oversized to me.  I am going to have 13.5 feet between my screen and my front row of seating, and I am only going with a 100 inch screen.

 

Can't say much to the other stuff, but I do know 1000 is not a lot of money for a projector. I have seen some good things about the Optoma $999 project (HD 20 maybe???) and it is 1080p from I can remember.

 

Good Luck!!!

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

2.35:1 format or 16:9. 120 diagonal or width?

16:9 and 120 diagonal
post #5 of 9
A standard recommendation for a newbie is to buy a projector and shine it on the wall, then pick the size that works for you. There is no law that says you have to buy a screen at the same time as the projector.

take a look at these entry level picks.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/home-theater/

The Epson looks like it has good installation flexibility. I have no hands on experience with that price point. For $300 more you can get a 8350. in the mid level tier. Triple the contrast ratio
Edited by BIGmouthinDC - 2/12/14 at 4:53pm
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

A standard recommendation for a newbie is to buy a projector and shine it on the wall, then pick the size that works for you. There is no law that says you have to buy a screen at the same time as the projector.

take a look at these entry level picks.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/home-theater/

The Epson looks like it has good installation flexibility. I have no hands on experience with that price point. For $300 more you can get a 8350. in the mid level tier. Triple the contrast ratio

Good suggestion on picking the screen size later. I'm just trying to figure out now where to have the electrical outlet roughed in on the ceiling. Thats the only thing time sensitive since electrical goes in this week. Should I just put the plug for the projector in the middle of the room as far back from the screen wall as possible?
post #7 of 9
look at where you will hang the screen and then go as far back as possible directly opposite the the middle of the screen then either 6 inches to the left or right, leaving room for a projector mount. . Now it could also go at the top of the wall if you want. You should also plan for the projector to your equipment location connections. If this is new construction have a 2 inch electrical conduit run and put it 6 inches on the other side of the middle line. Later you will pull in your HDMI cable.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post

Hi all. I am in the process of building a house and need some help with the theater.

I have a 12x12 room. On the back wall I will have one row of seating via a sectional couch. My head will be about 10.5 - 11 feet from the screen while sitting on the couch.

From what I've read on other threads, I can go with a 120 inch screen. Is this too big? Should I go smaller for this distance?

I need to tell the electrician where to instal my power outlet for the projector. Do the experts prefer a shelf on the back wall or a ceiling mount?

How far back do I need to instal the projector to get 120 inches? Will I need to shop for a short throw projector?

Lastly, any projectors around $1,000 that would fit this room size well and give me full HD and maybe 3D?

Thank you!

You're going to definitely want to have the projector as far back as possible. The shorter the throw distance and the more limited you are going to be in both projector choice and screen size. Projector Central has some great calculators that can help determine what is feasible and not:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm

You can also search for projectors that fit your criteria:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm

In general, 120" from 11' away is going to be VERY big... but don't limit yourself until you try it out.
post #9 of 9
I have a 125" diagonal 16x9 screen and I sit 10 feet from it and its fine for me although I can see how it might feel too close for some people, none of our friends who have watched films on it have felt it was too close.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home