or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Need some input on speakers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need some input on speakers

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Hello. I've just finished my basement movie area and i need some input for speakers. The room is 11ft. Wide and 28 ft long with 7 foot high drop ceiling. I have an hsu bookshelf system in my living room with a diy tc sounds axis 15 sub. All that will be staying there and my new area will get all new equipment. Here's what I have so far:

Marantz 7007 reciever.
emotiva xpa-3 (x2)
Oppo blu ray
Dual hsu vtf 15 subs
2 svs sbs-02 for surround duty.

I have some speakers in mind for my front 3 within a 2000 dollar budget which are:
Polk rti a9 with csi a6
Arx a5 towers and the matching center
Ascend acoustics 340 system
Klipsch rb81 and rc 64
Paradigm monitor 11 and center 3

I listen a little quieter than reference during movies. The system really won't see much music so I'm not concerned as much with that. Any thoughts or suggestions?
post #2 of 20
You have a unique list to start with

However, I do prefer the JBL Studio 5 series over Klipsch.
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
How does the center channel do from the 5 series?
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimetera413 View Post

How does the center channel do from the 5 series?
The word has been all around positive - works with all the Studio 5 speakers
Edited by zieglj01 - 2/15/14 at 3:02pm
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Great. I'll take a look.
post #6 of 20
From that list I like the arx, paradigm and ascends personally but definitely try to listen to as many as possible. Those all are solid choices.

I am running the a5 + a2 setup now and it does HT really well. Very nuanced at all volumes, plays loud and not at all fatiguing to me. You could also look at 3 a2 for LCR as option. The arx overall are quite good and in my opinion are close or equal in sq to some other higher priced brands. They are a nice gateway to higher end audio for some of us looking to try to pinch a few pennies and not as concerned about higher end finishes and the brand recognition.
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Those tweeters on the arx are very interesting to me. At very loud volumes would you say they are more clear and detailed than a dome tweeter?
post #8 of 20
Whatever brand you decide on, get vertical bookshelf for center, horizontal centers are a compromise. Klipsch is a brand you must listen to in person. I really don't like klipsch reference, but many others do.
post #9 of 20
I dont think you necessarily have to have the center vertical. In a theory based world, yes, you want exactly the same speaker set up the same for all 3 front channels. In real world though.... I have run both ways and honestly I didn't hear much of a delta. Maybe im just not that critical of a listener though smile.gif Note I don't have a dedicated theater room though but a multiuse room.... Most folks have constraints of budget, room setup, WAF, etc that dont allow for the ideal. Some designs work better than others in these more compromised setups though so helps to do your homework.

The arx tweeter is quite nice. I've heard the a1, a2 and a5s. The a2 has the new tweeter and I have to say I love it. Very clear and nuaced. The a2 throws a large soundstage that extended a lot further than I expected. If I had to do it again I'm really torn if I would go 3 a2's or the a5 w/ a2 center. Sounds like the a5 is going to get a makeover in next few months with the new tweeter and crossover but both setups will make you smile. If you plan on doing more 2 channel listening the a5 may be the better choice as they go lower. But if sub is used they both are great options.
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimetera413 View Post

At very loud volumes would you say they are more clear and detailed than a dome tweeter?

No one can guarantee you which is the better tweeter out there > it comes down to the design
of the speaker as a whole, and the crossover network plays a part. Also, no one can guarantee
that all horn tweeters are somewhat harsh and bright, or have a nasal blaring sound.

I have owned speakers with the cone, dome, so-called dhorm, ribbon, thin film, plus fancy horn
tweeters. Not one of them was so called all around better than the other >> however the cone
tweeters tended to be weak and fell short. It comes down to the design as a whole.
Edited by zieglj01 - 2/15/14 at 6:37pm
post #11 of 20
Well said zeiglj!
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFan View Post

I dont think you necessarily have to have the center vertical. In a theory based world, yes, you want exactly the same speaker set up the same for all 3 front channels. In real world though.... I have run both ways and honestly I didn't hear much of a delta. Maybe im just not that critical of a listener though smile.gif

Nothing is really necessary. Could just use built-in tv speakers. Just giving my opinion on the matter. Also, the OP is using this setup for mostly movies it seems. Center channel is so important for movies IMO.

For me a typical horizontal center is such a terrible value. Usually you have to pay more for worse audio quality. But most will take the compromise because they have height restraints and want the center to fit on their tv stand. I know for myself that I will never go for a MTM horizontal center in the future. However, even on this audio forum, I would bet that over 95% have a regular MTM center speaker and they are perfectly happy with it. And I have no doubt that they are indeed happy with their setup. It's just not something I would buy for myself because I value the increase in audio quality. The only downside to vertical bookshelf center is a lot of them are sold in pairs, so you may be left with an extra or need to sell one.

Everybody has their own audio preferences, these are just mine.
post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Well said. My choice depends on the capability of the center speaker because movies are my main priority as you said. Clear and legible dialog is a must.
post #14 of 20
I meant no offense csgamer in my reply, so sorry if it came across that way. That's the nice thing in this hobby is there a lot of options to choose from and at the end of the day. If it sounds good to you it doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks. As you said for the mainly ht setup the center is going to be the lynchpin of a good experience.

I see the comments about the center 'must' be matching and/or vertical a lot so just curious what exactly is such a compromise with some of the horizontal center channels and how that comes across in actual listening? I understand the timbre matched lcr but curious on the rest. Don't want to derail the OP thread so maybe I'll post as a separate thread as its something I'm interested in learning more about.
post #15 of 20
When you turn a speaker on its side that has multiple woofers you get comb filtering issues.
post #16 of 20
I don't want to derail the thread here so will post another one to cover this topic. I understand comb filtering and how it can impact the speaker dispersion pattern but just curious in real world listening how observable this really is. If the designer did a good job (critical point) I think the room setup will probably have a much larger impact than any self induced filtering phenomenon.

It just seems that if this was as damaging to overall sq as it is sometimes presented I dont think we would see as many MTM type centers as the market has from reputable mfgs. Cost/convience could drive this from vendor standpoint though and sq be damned!

Anyways back to helping dimetera get a kick butt theater!
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFan View Post

It just seems that if this was as damaging to overall sq as it is sometimes presented I dont think we would see as many MTM type centers as the market has from reputable mfgs.
Manufacturers consider one thing above all else: Will people buy it? Consumers want speakers that lie horizontal, and they want speakers with multiple drivers. Consumers have no clue as to why both of those concepts are inherently flawed. They're going to buy what they want to buy, and no manufacturer is going to turn their business away.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimetera413 View Post

Well said. My choice depends on the capability of the center speaker because movies are my main priority as you said. Clear and legible dialog is a must.

In that case - if you have the room then get identical speakers (including their orientation) LCR across the front. The goal of the front LCR speakers is that they work together to create a single, seamless front sound stage and three identical speakers will do that the best/easiest. (Which is why you see that configuration in almost all professional settings - theaters, sound mixing stages, etc.)

On the other hand if you don't have the room then get a horizontal center and don't worry about it. Every home theater has compromises and that's a common one wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFan View Post

I don't want to derail the thread here so will post another one to cover this topic. I understand comb filtering and how it can impact the speaker dispersion pattern but just curious in real world listening how observable this really is ...

I can't answer technically, but from personal experience I'm guessing some people are more sensitive to it than others. (Like the visual chromatic fringing on DLP TVs/projects - some see it some don't). For whatever reason I am very sensitive to phasing and lobbing issues while the rest of the family isn't. (I was a professional, classical musician for 15 years so that may have something to do with it.)
Edited by sdg4vfx - 2/16/14 at 9:18pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimetera413 View Post

Well said. My choice depends on the capability of the center speaker because movies are my main priority as you said. Clear and legible dialog is a must.

If you decide to go with the JBL Studio 5 - there have been no negative complaints
about the center voices.

Also whatever you purchase - make sure there is a 30 return policy - which most
do have.
post #20 of 20
I need some input as to what type of rear speakers should i buy??? I have a pair of Jamo front towers there 2 way with 2 -5 inch midwoofers,dome tweeters. Should i use these or buy a new pair???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Need some input on speakers