or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs › Mothership out of gas?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mothership out of gas?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Was out of the country for two months and came back to see that my seldom used Replay 30k has no guide data, cleared guide, reconnected to [& changed] the dial up lines it looks like it gets thru and goes by the whole cycle of setting clock/checking new channels/Info of Replay Zones/Transferring additional info & combining data but when its done the guide is empty [all the channels are there and the time is correct] it appears the guide data and last time it recorded ran out on Jan 21 [used to record TV news/talk shows instead of taking up DVR space]

I read thru the" Here we go again!" thread and it doesn't seem to match whats going on with my RTV since it is connecting, doing its thing, but not getting any guide data
-maybe its the end of the road for dial up and DNNA is doing this to get rid of dial uppers- yeah I know its an old machine but like to keep it working as long as possible... at least I can still do manual record for now. frown.gif
post #2 of 29

DNNA doesn't really keep track of dial-up connections.  Once you connect to their server, you are just a ReplayTV performing a net connect.  So, I suspect something else is going on with your 3K.

 

Since you've already lost your guide data anyway, you probably should try using 2-4-3-Zones from your remote control and select Clear Channel Guide.  The 3K will reboot, and then you need to repeat the process a second time.  After your 3K reboots the second time, then try performing a net connect, and if it goes all the way through, hopefully you will now have a fully populated guide.

post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

Was out of the country for two months and came back to see that my seldom used Replay 30k has no guide data, cleared guide, reconnected to [& changed] the dial up lines it looks like it gets thru and goes by the whole cycle of setting clock/checking new channels/Info of Replay Zones/Transferring additional info & combining data but when its done the guide is empty [all the channels are there and the time is correct] it appears the guide data and last time it recorded ran out on Jan 21 [used to record TV news/talk shows instead of taking up DVR space]

I read thru the" Here we go again!" thread and it doesn't seem to match whats going on with my RTV since it is connecting, doing its thing, but not getting any guide data
-maybe its the end of the road for dial up and DNNA is doing this to get rid of dial uppers- yeah I know its an old machine but like to keep it working as long as possible... at least I can still do manual record for now. frown.gif

My 2020 can still connect and get a guide.

It's possible you got a guide too, but there is a problem with the Replay's clock. It won't show any guide data it it is all for 2014 but the Replay thinks it's 1999.
post #4 of 29
Thread Starter 
Well... now I'm in a deeper pickle, I tried the double Guide clearing and it connected automatically [and did a couple of net connects] now I'm getting no guide and the 1999 date... ungh
I use my Replay more like a channel changer when I'm recording stuff off the DVR onto a DVD recorder as well as recording some news stuff...
I think it may be time to give these puppies up...
Its late I'll try this craziness tomorrow:(
post #5 of 29

Clearing the channel guide shouldn't impact the clock, only unplugging the unit would normally impact the clock.  Now I wonder if Mark was correct and your clock was off before you cleared the guide and you just didn't notice.  If you're ambitions, you could install the clock set control panel so that you could at least get the clock set manually.  That way, at least you could tell if the guide was populating properly or not.  Is it completing the net connects successfully without error?  It may be that if you can get the clock set close to correct that then the net connect will be totally successful.

post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayAddict View Post

Clearing the channel guide shouldn't impact the clock, only unplugging the unit would normally impact the clock.  Now I wonder if Mark was correct and your clock was off before you cleared the guide and you just didn't notice.  If you're ambitions, you could install the clock set control panel so that you could at least get the clock set manually.  That way, at least you could tell if the guide was populating properly or not.  Is it completing the net connects successfully without error?  It may be that if you can get the clock set close to correct that then the net connect will be totally successful.

That seemed to be necessary for me. The clock would be wrong, and set to some time in 1999. A net connect would NOT set it (the guide info was there, but for 2014 and is not being shown because the Replay thinks it's in 1999). I would then do a manual clock set, and the guide would be displayed.
post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
Nah, i made sure the date time was correct by toggling the clock and set up a couple of manual records with specific time/date, thats gone now... how detailed is installing a clock control panel? I've upgraded HD on my unit and those of others with RTV patch if its anymore than that it might be out of my experience level..
I have a Panasonic Showstopper in storage i'll see how's thats going , it belonged to my aunt and had hooked it up to her Zinwell digital to analog converter when OTA went full digital -it was the only one I knew that had a timer function to change channels- but got it back when I gave her a Magnavox HDD/DVD with digital tuner

I might try 777 code and reset the whole thing but thats after I view the recorded content. ..
I'm doing the second clear channel guide and it connects automatically but then again the guide is now blank/wrong date and "No channel guide info available... Please choose ''setup..." message over the guide even after doing a net connect nothing gets is displayed, I've also changed phone/zip code and tried different providers and still no guide.

My replay is at this point a tertiary recording device in the bedroom with an SA TWC cable box doing the most recording... It might be time to clear some shelf space...cool.gif
This was my first DVR when a big TV was 32" and a couple of hundred pounds and a 30gb HD was considered "alot" ...lol, you never forget your first one wink.gif

Oh well nothing lasts forever, I'm sure in a decade my Tivo Roamio will be in the junk pile too frown.gif

I wonder what I can trade for a 3 replays, the other is a 2020 macrovision free that needs a new HD, like to get my grand-niece a cheapo 4gb mp3 player anybody wanna trade? biggrin.gif
Edited by CopRock - 2/20/14 at 8:56pm
post #8 of 29

You can find instructions on this forum and on Planet Replay, but it looks like "The Robman" posted a script that does it all for you right here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10872

post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

Nah, i made sure the date time was correct by toggling the clock and set up a couple of manual records with specific time/date, thats gone now... how detailed is installing a clock control panel? I've upgraded HD on my unit and those of others with RTV patch if its anymore than that it might be out of my experience level..
I have a Panasonic Showstopper in storage i'll see how's thats going , it belonged to my aunt and had hooked it up to her Zinwell digital to analog converter when OTA went full digital -it was the only one I knew that had a timer function to change channels- but got it back when I gave her a Magnavox HDD/DVD with digital tuner

I might try 777 code and reset the whole thing but thats after I view the recorded content. ..
I'm doing the second clear channel guide and it connects automatically but then again the guide is now blank/wrong date and "No channel guide info available... Please choose ''setup..." message over the guide even after doing a net connect nothing gets is displayed, I've also changed phone/zip code and tried different providers and still no guide.

My replay is at this point a tertiary recording device in the bedroom with an SA TWC cable box doing the most recording... It might be time to clear some shelf space...cool.gif
This was my first DVR when a big TV was 32" and a couple of hundred pounds and a 30gb HD was considered "alot" ...lol, you never forget your first one wink.gif

Oh well nothing lasts forever, I'm sure in a decade my Tivo Roamio will be in the junk pile too frown.gif

I wonder what I can trade for a 3 replays, the other is a 2020 macrovision free that needs a new HD, like to get my grand-niece a cheapo 4gb mp3 player anybody wanna trade? biggrin.gif

I got manual clock set when I installed a new disk image which had it.
post #10 of 29
Thread Starter 
Finding the correct image is my next jab - so i don't make the same mistake loading a showstopper onto my 3030 =
post #11 of 29

If you install the clock patch that The Robman posted, then you don't have to reimage your drive and you don't have to lose any shows.  That patch simply overwrites an existing control panel, so it doesn't change anything about the setup.

post #12 of 29
Thread Starter 
First opportunity I had to even play with the Replay was last nite [goes to show how little I use it] when I turned it on the channel guide was "back" : same southern manhattan TWC spread but was empty of any info again and time was still wrong, no more message over guide telling me to go to settings...
I'll see tomorrow if I can open it to try and put in the patch, I've never done any hard drive work [with RTV patch] by opening the desktop since I use a laptop to do it with an IDE to USB cable and its worked ok so far...
I'm hoping I can do it the same way, I D/L the rob man files and I'll give it a shot tomorrow
Glad the patch is for 2020 and showstopper too, I pulled a SS that had been in storage for over a year and that one is even a hotter mess than my current 3030... so even if everything started working tomorrow would rather have a way to set the clock incase the mothership explodes like the Black Sunday blimp
post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
I think I need some help on how to put the script onto the hard drive, clicking on the batch file brings up a command prompt screen that ends up not finding the hardrive but its seen by RTV patch.. are there more explicit [pretty much step by step] out there ?
Even found some images that I had D/L with the manual time set in them but can't remember how to get RTV patch to use those ones when I tried to remiage the showstopper I had in storage... [glad there's no icon for old fart]

Most likely I'll put these into storage for a just incase scenario or give them away to someone who could actually use them.... would e like saying goodbye to a friend frown.gif
post #14 of 29

The command prompt needs to be run as Admininstrator, which doesn't happen by default, no matter how you are logged in.  So, if you launch a Command Prompt by right clicking on it and choosing Run As Administrator, then you would use the "cd" command to get the command prompt into the same directory as you unzipped all the files, and then simply type the batch file name and it should run through everything for you.  For example, if you unzipped the files into \patch on your hard drive, then once you opened the Command Prompt as Administrator, you would enter "cd \patch" (without the quotes) and then enter "install" (without the quotes).

post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
A big thanks again to ReplayAddict who helped thru PM's to get a manual patch set onto my old replay 3k ...
I was hoping once the time was correct the guide would be repopulated as others have reported on this thread but alas it seems to be a no-go, it connected on its own and I've done a few net connects and it goes thru an almost hour long connection and can see it updates almost everything but at the very end it disconnects with a "There was problem information from the ReplayTV service .. your replay tv will try again later" slowed the modem down and still the same ... oh well at least I can get occasional use for now.
.
One thing I noticed is that any repeating manual records just don't seem to work, they need to single manuals -- anyone know why this is?
post #16 of 29
CopRock, I am also in Manhattan and having the same issue. My Showstopper was unplugged for a month, so it thinks it is January 2014, and it dials the local numbers and seems to go through everything perfectly, gives a message of success, yet never updates the date and time nor populates the channel guide. I also cannot do weekly record, even though it thinks it knows what day it is. Strange. I have another Showstopper that had been unplugged for years, long enough for it to revert to 1999 and it is doing the same. I am good with replacing the physical parts, done lots of that to many Panasonic products over the years, but software patches might be beyond me without truly remedial step by step. Any advice?
post #17 of 29
Thread Starter 
I hear ya, something is going on with DNNA or whoever owns replayTV now and I think they are slowly shutting down phone lines [and eventually online/ethernet] connections to replays ... those of us with the first gen replays are probably gonna be SOL. Those with ethernet capable replays have more choices, but I never updated my 3030 replay because I liked it and worked for me. I also have an old showstopper that was in storage for so long it had reverted to the set-up screen but since there is some issue with the fone lines it can't even get to download any local fone numbers [it connects sets clock seems to be ok but doesn't finish and gives me a "network connection error"] ... and yes you can only do single guaranteed records, repeat guaranteed records don't work and it seems that nobody knows why could be a glitch due to the fact that the guide isn't poplulated?
I've gotten 13 years from my replays and it may be time to cut, the cord the telephone line cord that is, if I can't get any info thru the modem anymore... I use it to record news that don't want it clogging the TWC box and other stuff I don't need in HD

It was difficult for me to understand the instructions but once I got it wasn't that much of a pain, just have to figure out how to connect a drive to a computer and follow the correct steps which I got help with from ReplayAddict... the easiest thing would be to reimage the drive with an image that already has the manual clock set already on it but it would mean losing any shows you have on it [with RTVpatch its relatively easy] or you can manual clock set patch but that doesn't use RTVpatch ... if you want I can PM you the instructions I received by PMs [you'd have to adjust them for where you keep particular files].

Yeah the physical stuff was easier [took many a VCR apart] but programming stuff can be a pain when all you know about computers is an on/off switch and maybe getting onto safe mode wink.gif
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

I hear ya, something is going on with DNNA or whoever owns replayTV now and I think they are slowly shutting down phone lines [and eventually online/ethernet] connections to replays ...

 

ReplayTV has never had anything to do with the phone lines themselves.  The network of dial-up phone numbers was setup a long time ago when dial up was the main Internet connection method (and there was really nothing else).  Whether you used AOL or Earthlink or AT&T, there were numbers in each city that you could call that would get you back to your Internet provider.  If you're familiar with DSL at all, it uses a very similar connection approach so that you can use the phone company's wires to connect to the DSL provider of your choice, it just doesn't have to dial any phone numbers.  Anyway, what seems to be happening is that the world of dial-up Internet usage is dwindling and this network of dial-up phone connections is being reduced.  In populated areas, dial-up usage is pretty scarce, so they are really cutting back.  Dial up seems to be mainly used in the rural areas, which means that you're not going to have a lot of luck finding dial-up numbers to use in the populated areas.  I have no idea how it is working for anyone living in a populated area and still using AOL, Earthlink, or AT&T, etc. dial up, as those are the same phone numbers that they use.  In fact, if you use the phone number finder for AT&T dial up, you'll probably see that they are the same phone numbers that your ReplayTV is presenting.  That has always been a recommended tool for trying to determine working phone numbers in your area, and you might want to give that a try.  But, it's not like ReplayTV has a lot of control with the dial-up Internet infrastructure and it is certainly not anything that they every built or had anything to do with, they just used the technology that was already in place for the Internet usage of the time.

post #19 of 29
Thread Starter 
Maybe replayTv has nothing to do with the phone lines themselves, but when it does connects for it to go through almost an hour of connection and goes thru the whole rigmarole and disconnects at the very end with nothing means something is going on at the other end... and who doesn't like a cheezy conspiracy theory wink.gif ....
It reminds me of a couple of years ago when DNNA was going to cut everything off and they were either forced/shamed into keeping the infrastructure up, but at this point I'm like 'what ever" when it comes to my replay, its a nice piece of antique tech I guess which has some limited use for now

There's always some hurdle to watching TV in NYC: today TWC scrambled all their QAM so any TV/DVD recorder gets nada and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth today in my home....lol biggrin.gif
post #20 of 29
Here in NYC, there are still a lot of working dial up numbers. If you pick up an extension, you can hear the modem tones connecting. Unfortunately, there seems to be some error in the information or the transmission the information, nothing to do with limiting the number of available phone lines. CopRock, if you put in a known working number into the dialing prefix screen, you can get your SS to call the local number instead of the 800 number. Then it can access the channel line up and the local numbers, but you'll still be missing the time and the guide info, at least that's how it's been working for me. Are you stuck in quick start or do you have access to the regular dial up screens? I'd love if you could send me the PMs, maybe I can figure it out too! Thanks so much!
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

Maybe replayTv has nothing to do with the phone lines themselves, but when it does connects for it to go through almost an hour of connection and goes thru the whole rigmarole and disconnects at the very end with nothing means something is going on at the other end...

 

Yeah, it definitely seems like there's something strange going on!  In understanding how a dial-up connection works, once you have the connection to the Internet provider, then you access the Internet just like anything else.  The ReplayTV uses a pretty standard dial-up modem, just like you would have used yourself if you were using dial-up Internet, and simply uses it to access the Internet.  If it wanted to, it could access other things than ReplayTV because it has full Internet access once it is connected.  However, it only accesses ReplayTV, and it is very strange that things like the clock setting don't function for the dial-up units when it works fine for the Ethernet-connected units.  Especially that when the LaHo dial-up connection was operating that it could be used to successfully set the clock.  So, it is definitely very curious, and rather difficult to determine what the problem is.  You can read several older posts by reden where he explains some of the problems that ReplayTV was having with its dial-up connections, and maybe that might help explain.

 

I definitely enjoy the good conspiracy theory, especially after ReplayTV trying to shut down everything and then backing off!  I just don't think that in this case the problem with dial up has much to do with ReplayTV.  If they wanted to stop supporting dial up, they would just cut off their accepting the dial-up logins, which is what allows the ReplayTVs to connect via dial up.  Since the connection still goes through and then there are problems later with the net connect, it's pretty hard to determine what's going on.

post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamedNameless View Post

Here in NYC, there are still a lot of working dial up numbers. If you pick up an extension, you can hear the modem tones connecting. Unfortunately, there seems to be some error in the information or the transmission the information, nothing to do with limiting the number of available phone lines. CopRock, if you put in a known working number into the dialing prefix screen, you can get your SS to call the local number instead of the 800 number. Then it can access the channel line up and the local numbers, but you'll still be missing the time and the guide info, at least that's how it's been working for me. Are you stuck in quick start or do you have access to the regular dial up screens? I'd love if you could send me the PMs, maybe I can figure it out too! Thanks so much!
ive given these numbers to people but no one has posted if theyve worked and id like to know. i dont know how to add a number manually i dont have older model rtvs and no option appears to be in 4k and 5k rtv--d
Edited by srfrdan - 3/19/14 at 3:13pm
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

Maybe replayTv has nothing to do with the phone lines themselves, but when it does connects for it to go through almost an hour of connection and goes thru the whole rigmarole and disconnects at the very end with nothing means something is going on at the other end...
if the replay doesnt get all the info in 5 minutes or so it spits it it out no matter how long its connected ive found---d
post #24 of 29
None of my local numbers are FULLY working, as in they do not deliver the time and guide info, but they do work to give me the channel lineup and local numbers. The 4K and 5K have no option to put in a dialing prefix??? Weird. What do you do if you have to dial 9 to get an outside line? Are you in the regular menus, not the quick startup? If you are trapped in quick start, follow Mikeyboy's instructions "First, you need to get out of quick setup. To do that unplug the recorder power cord for 30 seconds then plug the power cord back in. Once you're at quick setup, using the remote press 49152 and then the Zones button within 5 seconds. You will not see the numbers being accepted by the replay, so just assume it is. If you did this correctly you will be out of quick setup and at a normal replay screen. Go into Menu and select Dialing and Input settings and select Telephone setup. Advance through setup until you get to the prefix screen. You will enter into this screen a local number with all the digits necessary to dial that server as if you were calling it from your home phone. If it's long distance include the 1 as well as the area code. Then continue on through setup and Keep Changes at the end. Hopefully now it will complete setup." Then you can put the prefix back to your regular prefix and pick whichever of the local numbers you like. Did you need a list of NYC numbers? CopRock already has a list from his semi-functional Replay, so I didn't post any to him.
post #25 of 29
Guys.
I don't know what to tell you, but I am in New Orleans, and I use the Manhattan Primary number in the 212 AC. I have slowed my modem to ( I think) 31.3. And I have a guide and the correct time on my Showstopper unit, day in and day out. Knock on wood it will stay that way. I have an AT&T land line & AT&T long distance.

Don H.
post #26 of 29
Do you mind sharing which one you use? There are three primaries on my list 796-1289,1839 and 824-2409, plus one 718 in Queens. I have tried slowing the modem, I'm at 31.2. I'm using Verizon local landline (which is what became of the AT&T POTS after the court mandated break-up). They worked perfectly until early December when I had to reboot and go offline for a month, but since January they have not been able to set the time or fill the guide. It thinks it is February 1st 2014.
post #27 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamedNameless View Post

Here in NYC, there are still a lot of working dial up numbers. If you pick up an extension, you can hear the modem tones connecting. Unfortunately, there seems to be some error in the information or the transmission the information, nothing to do with limiting the number of available phone lines. CopRock, if you put in a known working number into the dialing prefix screen, you can get your SS to call the local number instead of the 800 number. Then it can access the channel line up and the local numbers, but you'll still be missing the time and the guide info, at least that's how it's been working for me. Are you stuck in quick start or do you have access to the regular dial up screens? I'd love if you could send me the PMs, maybe I can figure it out too! Thanks so much!

For the showstopper, i ended up changing the hard drive and I think it was a hardrive issue that kept it at the set up screen, I remiaged the new drive with a backup image of my 3030 and it connected and got channels in the guide but no info in the guide again... it doesn't seem to matter which phone number i pick they all do the same thing... tommorow I'll try and change the cable co and city and see if I get different results ... i'll let you know what happens.
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamedNameless View Post

Do you mind sharing which one you use? There are three primaries on my list 796-1289,1839 and 824-2409, plus one 718 in Queens. I have tried slowing the modem, I'm at 31.2. I'm using Verizon local landline (which is what became of the AT&T POTS after the court mandated break-up). They worked perfectly until early December when I had to reboot and go offline for a month, but since January they have not been able to set the time or fill the guide. It thinks it is February 1st 2014.


Sure. 212-824-2409 My showstopper works great on this number. I also have a 5040 model which doesn't do dial ups. I have tried to slow down the modem on this one, but to no avail. I read on one of these threads, that there was a software glitch that prevents the speed from being adjusted, which may be the problem. So the answer on that one would be Ethernet. Unfortunately that's not a practical option.


Don H
Edited by wtkflhn - 3/20/14 at 1:52pm
post #29 of 29
Thread Starter 
Jeez, talk about forgetting about the trees when trapped in the forest.

I'd been so busy backing up/ re-imaging drives and adding the clock patch that I forgot to try slowing down the modem when I reimaged a drive... I tried that, but I did have to go thru different numbers until I got one that worked and finally got a fully repopulated guide

Its good tho to have a manual clock just in case
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs › Mothership out of gas?