or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs › Bizarre 5000 issue!.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bizarre 5000 issue!.....

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
......at least based upon my experiences.
I believe that I've tried everything to attempt to resolve this but I'm not as knowledgeable as many of you.....so I'm hoping for some help.....please!.....
I have had two 5000's for many years. They've been beyond reliable with the same WD drives (which I used to replace the original stock drives). The drive in one suddenly became very unstable and very noisy yesterday, so it was time to replace it. I had another of the same exact drives put away, just for this occasion.
It was imaged at the same time. Identical drive.....identical image. Easy swap.
Weird thing is that, no matter what I did, when I checked the "last connect" status, it showed a ten year old date! I've been able to connect repeatedly to the server (using TWC broadband). I'm getting a full guide. However, each and every time I force a connection, it goes through the process and then, at the end, I get the "there was a problem.....will try again later" message. I even went so far as to do a factory (382, zones) reset. Same problem, except now it reads "not successful" (as opposed to the original 10 year old date)!
My other unit functions normally and consistently shows a current date after connecting to the server.
I'm puzzled and very curious as to why I'm (supposedly) not getting a complete data download on the other unit.
This makes no sense! I've never had this problem with this or my other unit.
I need some advise as to what I can possibly do to receive a completed update and a current date/time stamp.
Thank you in advance!
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

......at least based upon my experiences.
I believe that I've tried everything to attempt to resolve this but I'm not as knowledgeable as many of you.....so I'm hoping for some help.....please!.....
I have had two 5000's for many years. They've been beyond reliable with the same WD drives (which I used to replace the original stock drives). The drive in one suddenly became very unstable and very noisy yesterday, so it was time to replace it. I had another of the same exact drives put away, just for this occasion.
It was imaged at the same time. Identical drive.....identical image. Easy swap.
Weird thing is that, no matter what I did, when I checked the "last connect" status, it showed a ten year old date! I've been able to connect repeatedly to the server (using TWC broadband). I'm getting a full guide. However, each and every time I force a connection, it goes through the process and then, at the end, I get the "there was a problem.....will try again later" message. I even went so far as to do a factory (382, zones) reset. Same problem, except now it reads "not successful" (as opposed to the original 10 year old date)!
My other unit functions normally and consistently shows a current date after connecting to the server.
I'm puzzled and very curious as to why I'm (supposedly) not getting a complete data download on the other unit.
This makes no sense! I've never had this problem with this or my other unit.
I need some advise as to what I can possibly do to receive a completed update and a current date/time stamp.
Thank you in advance!

Maybe the drive you had sitting around got some rot....

I've had issues in the past. The ones that could not be resolved with something simple just required me to put a fresh, new image on the drive at the time of installation.

Recommend you put a fresh, new, factory_reset image on the drive you had in storage (after you run a full diagnostic on it, of course, to check for failing sectors).

Cheers!
-Doug
post #3 of 16
Agreed.

My best luck was in running Spinrite on Replay drives prior to imaging them.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks very much for your input!
I never considered that there could be corruptions on the new drive. I've used several WD PATA drives in the past for this purpose and never had any issues.
I'll try what you've suggested.
Would you be so kind as to provide me with a link to a currently reliable image that I can use for the 5000. I no longer have the original one that I had used many years ago.
Thanks again!
post #5 of 16
post #6 of 16

I was going to mention that when you replace the drive as you have, you'd probably want to use a factory fresh image.  The only time to use your old hard drive is if it is perfect working condition and you want to upgrade the capacity.  Anytime you use your old hard drive for the image, you are running the risk of transferring corruption that you may not be aware of.  The factory reset image from ReplayTVUpgrade will start you out in the quick setup, just like a new ReplayTV, so that is a much better starting point.

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks again for all of your help!
I have a new, unopened Maxtor 200GB drive (although it's been sitting around for approx. 6 yrs.). Although the WD is likely to be more reliable, I'm considering using the Maxtor with a freshly downloaded image (as per your suggestions).
This way I rule out the potential of a software glitch and a faulty hard drive all at once (since it could be either.....or both).
I'll report back soon.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

Thanks again for all of your help!
I have a new, unopened Maxtor 200GB drive (although it's been sitting around for approx. 6 yrs.). Although the WD is likely to be more reliable, I'm considering using the Maxtor with a freshly downloaded image (as per your suggestions).
This way I rule out the potential of a software glitch and a faulty hard drive all at once (since it could be either.....or both).
I'll report back soon.

Not sure how old that WD drive is.... but later/current WD IDE drives are NOT compatible with the IDE Controller provided with 5000 series RTV's... If there is an "AA" in the WD part number, that drive will NOT work... Just be forewarned..

Check out this page for drive compatibility issues:
http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/

Select "Drive Compatibility" to learn all you want....

WD has not made a compatible IDE drive in over 6 years, if not more. Not even sure if they still make them.
Seagate has stopped making IDE drives.

They are an endangered species. But you can find NOS if you look hard enough.


Cheers!
-Doug
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your input!
The WD drive that I used initially was identical to the one I had been using in the unit for many years. The Maxtor drive that I now used as a replacement is also compatible with the Replay (same generation as the WD).
I was able to successfully image the Maxtor drive and it works. It seems to complete the connection and I'm getting a date and time (vs. the previously imaged WD drive that I tried originally, which consistently gave me a "not successful" message after completing the connection with the network).
However, it has made three daily connections (in addition to several forced connections) and I still have no usable "zones" screen to work with. My other unit updates 16 zones. This unit (after this recent drive replacement) doesn't go beyond 7. The "zones" screen that comes up is the same as it was initially. It doesn't function as it should.
I used the same software version as I had originally (530511440) and the more recent patch. Everything else seems to check out OK.
Any clues as to why the "zones" screen isn't loading up?......I've never seen this problem before and was wondering if there's a history of this issue occurring with other units (especially after a drive is replaced).
Is there a solution for this?
Thanks again for all of your help!
post #10 of 16

The Zones aren't totally loaded from the image, it takes a net connect after the quick setup to get the Zones fully loaded.  It could be that "the mothership" isn't working properly with updating the Zones, but you could just keep trying a manual Net Connect to see if you get the Zones loaded.  You also could check out the LaHo project on PlanetReplay, it can update your Zones for you if "the mothership" doesn't do it.

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayAddict View Post

The Zones aren't totally loaded from the image, it takes a net connect after the quick setup to get the Zones fully loaded.  It could be that "the mothership" isn't working properly with updating the Zones, but you could just keep trying a manual Net Connect to see if you get the Zones loaded.  You also could check out the LaHo project on PlanetReplay, it can update your Zones for you if "the mothership" doesn't do it.

IIRC, the "Zones" update needs to happen onits own... you can't force the horse to drink.. Don't ask my why I think this... But I recall I had to wait a day for mine (my Zones) to be made right after a factory reset and initial setup....

Patience...


Cheers!
-Doug
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post


IIRC, the "Zones" update needs to happen onits own... you can't force the horse to drink.. Don't ask my why I think this... But I recall I had to wait a day for mine (my Zones) to be made right after a factory reset and initial setup....

Patience...


Cheers!
-Doug

That's true for software updates, but not for Zone updates.  Included in the Zone updates are all the IR Blaster codes, so those need to be updated right away after the quick setup.  In addition, they also include all the actual ReplayZones for recording, so you wouldn't be able to make any ReplayZone recordings until the Zones had been fully populated.  Anyway, connecting to LaHo or WIRNS with the MyReplayZones plugin installed will update the Zones on the very first net connect.

 

By the way, in response to your experience, it does actually take one additional net connect after the factory reset and quick setup.  After going through everything, you haven't actually make a full net connect yet, just enough of one to fully populate your guide.  It then takes one more net connect to actually finish the software update, updating the Zones and loading all the messages.  So, after completing the quick setup, forcing a net connect should complete the Zones update.

post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks again for all of your support!
As I mentioned, the unit connected on it's own 3 (now 4) times and I have forced it approx. 10 times now. Still no usable zones screen and I also noticed that the list of IR codes is incomplete (as pointed out by "ReplayAddict").
If the mother ship is the source of this problem would I still be getting (what appears to be) updates for 16 zones on my other unit (vs. 7 on the questionable one)?
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

Thanks again for all of your support!
As I mentioned, the unit connected on it's own 3 (now 4) times and I have forced it approx. 10 times now. Still no usable zones screen and I also noticed that the list of IR codes is incomplete (as pointed out by "ReplayAddict").
If the mother ship is the source of this problem would I still be getting (what appears to be) updates for 16 zones on my other unit (vs. 7 on the questionable one)?

When the ReplayTV net connects, it asks for updates of how ever many Zones it has installed.  The mother ship normally responds that there are no updates (because there haven't been any for many, many years).  So, if the mother ship wasn't sending out Zone updates, it would be perfectly normal for all the fully configured ReplayTVs to be going through all of their installed Zones each time.  The fact that it zooms through the Zone updates is what indicates that the mother ship is simply responding with no update for the Zones.  If you were running WiRNS, the default of it installing NoReplayZones would also prevent you from receiving any Zone updates.

 

Anyway, if you want to see if you can break the cycle, see the LaHo "Good Will" post on Planet Replay and follow those instructions.  That should get your Zones updated right away.

post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
I tried what you had suggested and it worked!
The zones screens appear to be functioning normally now and I've noticed additional IR codes in the mix.
I sincerely appreciate your advice and I should acknowledge and thank LaHo for the opportunity to switch over to accomplish this!

One further question:
Verizon Fios will be available to me shortly and I was wondering if I will be able to find the IR code necessary to function with their box (I believe that it's a Motorola but unclear as to the actual model no.).
If it matters, I'm located in Queens, NY (just outside of NYC).
Your (valued) opinions are (once again) greatly appreciated!
Thanks again very much for all of you help!
post #16 of 16

If you search this forum, I believe you should be able to find the FiOS code pretty easily.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs › Bizarre 5000 issue!.....