or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV - Page 122

post #3631 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkp1 View Post

What is the deal with Ch 44. I have a small terrible picture on all of my TV's using either Directv or OTA. Anybody know whats going on?

According to their engineer, WJTC has no leverage as an independent to get Dish, DirecTV, U-verse or any other cable systems except Cox (I think) to carry their HD signal even though they ARE feeding it to them by fiber. The SEC network programming is the only HD programming on WJTC. He's trying to get it done but needs all of us to request it from our providers. I started asking U-verse for it the first weekend of football season. The games are 16:9 HD OTA, good thing I've still got an antenna on my roof for Saturday SEC football on WJTC.

Make sure your CS rep notes that SEC football is a religion down here and WJTC in HD is far more important to us than MyNet or CW in HD.
post #3632 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by poledo View Post

It's also odd that the FCC has never shown any data on WBQP's digital channel 7 operation... at least that I can find.

My guess is that it's completely unlicensed and thus illegal. I went so far as to ask the FCC if any digital license or STA existed for WBQP, and was told there was not.

- Trip
post #3633 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by poledo View Post

According to their engineer, WJTC has no leverage as an independent to get Dish, DirecTV, U-verse or any other cable systems except Cox (I think) to carry their HD signal even though they ARE feeding it to them by fiber. The SEC network programming is the only HD programming on WJTC. He's trying to get it done but needs all of us to request it from our providers. I started asking U-verse for it the first weekend of football season. The games are 16:9 HD OTA, good thing I've still got an antenna on my roof for Saturday SEC football on WJTC.

Make sure your CS rep notes that SEC football is a religion down here and WJTC in HD is far more important to us than MyNet or CW in HD.

I have Directv, and the same would go for Cable, they have to decide whether a HD version of such channel offers any benefit, since it uses valuable transponder space. I was glad when Directv added the CW's and PBS's in markets, but I gotta think they'll want another satellite up before they add something like WJTC.
post #3634 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

I have Directv, and the same would go for Cable, they have to decide whether a HD version of such channel offers any benefit, since it uses valuable transponder space. I was glad when Directv added the CW's and PBS's in markets, but I gotta think they'll want another satellite up before they add something like WJTC.

I pay $13 a month for the Directv Sports Pack, which includes several channels which carry the SEC game of the week in high def, as well as the CBS college sports channel which offers high def replays of the many of the SEC games of the week as well as live games from other areas of the country. I get way more value from this investment than I did from the ESPN Gameplan.
post #3635 of 4173
ESPN GP was good, but with the ESPN/SEC deal, and it still being SD, I have no need. I bought one PPV this year.
post #3636 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

My guess is that it's completely unlicensed and thus illegal. I went so far as to ask the FCC if any digital license or STA existed for WBQP, and was told there was not.

I have a theory. Before WBQP-2 (was LP channel 8 in Pensacola, I forgot the old call letters, maybe WPEN or WPNS) went off the air they had an app or cp to move to channel 7 in the fcc database. I suspect that they were using that licence for the DTV simulcast on channel 7 so they wouldn't have to flash cut channel 12 analog to digital early. Legal? Borderline? Impossible? Interesting?
post #3637 of 4173
I can find no record showing the existence of any application for channel 7 in Pensacola. Ever. The channel 8 in Pensacola still exists and has applied to move to channel 33.

In any event, that they're operating now without a license is definitely illegal.

- Trip
post #3638 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

I can find no record showing the existence of any application for channel 7 in Pensacola. Ever. The channel 8 in Pensacola still exists and has applied to move to channel 33.

In any event, that they're operating now without a license is definitely illegal.

- Trip

The way I've followed the conversation on this station is that the digital 7.x station ran a while back and is now off the air. The license for the analog channel 12 is valid.

I haven't gotten a peep out of any of the analog translators, including WBQP-LP, with my little indoor antenna in Foley.
post #3639 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

The way I've followed the conversation on this station is that the digital 7.x station ran a while back and is now off the air. The license for the analog channel 12 is valid.

I haven't gotten a peep out of any of the analog translators, including WBQP-LP, with my little indoor antenna in Foley.

WBQP-TV is currently broadcasting (digital) on 7.3, 7.4 and 7.5 and analog on channel 12.
post #3640 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

I've been surprised at the number of Hispanics I've come across in Baldwin County. Usually once there's a few thousand, a struggling AM station flips to a Spanish format.

AT&T U-Verse has about 15-20 Spanish language channels, as well as a few Asian choices. (And after seeing the Mobile HD lineup, I'm officially jealous that it's not going to be available in Foley.)

Pensacola's Cox Cable has about 5 Spanish language channels that I could see.

Really… if people are clamoring for Spanish language channels, DirecTV or Dish are the way to go.

Well, Comcast has a ONLY Spanish-languages channel is MTN Tr3s.

At least we can see NHK World on WSRE 23.2.

Anyway... Do y'all thank we need ION channel in Mobile and Pensacola? Florida mostly has that...
post #3641 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario500 View Post
I have a digital transport adapter and WFGX-TV became available to me in midtown Mobile before Comcast could gradually switch the city to digital cable TV programming only.
WEAR is running a crawl throughout the day saying that WFGX is available on the basic tier on digital channel 19 on the Comcast systems in Mobile and Dauphin Island (which is technically the same as Mobile's system?)

As for Mediacom....January 1st is around the corner, and the expiration of the 1 year deal with Sinclair...........
post #3642 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoroanime View Post

Well, Comcast has a ONLY Spanish-languages channel is MTN Tr3s.

At least we can see NHK World on WSRE 23.2.

Anyway... Do y'all thank we need ION channel in Mobile and Pensacola? Florida mostly has that...

Had access to it through the Birmingham area affiliate and also a separate feed on DirecTV (west coast feed) and never found anything to watch. What little programming they produced themselves seemed a little on the low budget side.

Supposedly some stations transmit 720p in anticipation of ion HD but I haven't heard a single thing about it in over a year, so I dunno if that fell through or not.

Traditionally, I think ion multiplexes qubo and other subchannels along with their standard programming.

I suppose one of the current independent stations could pick up the programming, but I doubt it'd make any waves here.
post #3643 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Had access to it through the Birmingham area affiliate and also a separate feed on DirecTV (west coast feed) and never found anything to watch. What little programming they produced themselves seemed a little on the low budget side.

Supposedly some stations transmit 720p in anticipation of ion HD but I haven't heard a single thing about it in over a year, so I dunno if that fell through or not.

Traditionally, I think ion multiplexes qubo and other subchannels along with their standard programming.

I suppose one of the current independent stations could pick up the programming, but I doubt it'd make any waves here.

Well, but Mobile/Pensacola should be getting a ION Television affiliate...
At least we still got the independent station in Alabama... Besides I grow up founding broadcasting errors on APT (WEIQ) in Alabama... That's why WSRE is better then APT...

This would be a better way if Fox 10 (WALA-TV) should carry LATV on it's subchannels.
post #3644 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Had access to it through the Birmingham area affiliate and also a separate feed on DirecTV (west coast feed) and never found anything to watch. What little programming they produced themselves seemed a little on the low budget side.

Supposedly some stations transmit 720p in anticipation of ion HD but I haven't heard a single thing about it in over a year, so I dunno if that fell through or not.

Traditionally, I think ion multiplexes qubo and other subchannels along with their standard programming.

I suppose one of the current independent stations could pick up the programming, but I doubt it'd make any waves here.

All the ION-owned stations have been in 720p HD since early in the year. Much of the programming they air is available in HD, and I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure ION no longer has original programming. The ION-owned stations have "qubo" which generally airs E/I programs on the xx-2 subchannel, and "ION Life" which is mostly a waste of time on xx-3.

- Trip
post #3645 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

All the ION-owned stations have been in 720p HD since early in the year. Much of the programming they air is available in HD, and I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure ION no longer has original programming. The ION-owned stations have "qubo" which generally airs E/I programs on the xx-2 subchannel, and "ION Life" which is mostly a waste of time on xx-3.

- Trip

Here in NOLA ION has been broadcasting 720p repeats of network (excuse me) drivel on the flagship with 480i qubo and ion life since before they dropped Worship TV. PQ on the flagship has gotten better since, but still the best thing any "affiliate" could ever do is forget about multicasting and put out one outstanding HD channel. Is it just me, or could anybody give a flying puck about the "extras" that the subs carry. We get Stale weather, stale traffic, stale repeats, and stale preaching. All of these choices are totally useless and mostly only available OTA or as bonus to your lowest common denominator tier on digital cable. Once again the FCC saw a pooch and thoroughly screwed it.
post #3646 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sore_bluto View Post

Is it just me, or could anybody give a flying puck about the "extras" that the subs carry.

In areas like yours where all the networks have their own stations, perhaps this could be true. (I personally enjoy This TV though.)

However, in my area, I would not have access to CW or My Network TV without subchannels. In addition, I greatly enjoy the alternate PBS schedule(s) and MHz WorldView which would both not be available to me without subchannels.

Not really relevant to the thread, but just answering your message...

- Trip
post #3647 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

In areas like yours where all the networks have their own stations, perhaps this could be true. (I personally enjoy This TV though.)

However, in my area, I would not have access to CW or My Network TV without subchannels. In addition, I greatly enjoy the alternate PBS schedule(s) and MHz WorldView which would both not be available to me without subchannels.

Not really relevant to the thread, but just answering your message...

- Trip

I certainly understand your point. If only when the sausage was being made we could have gotten an authoritative rather than flexible "standard". All "they" (congre$$ and lobbi$ts) did was mandate a cloud of suggestions for this newfangled HDTV thing. "They" certainly could have said, in the US if you want a license, its 1920X1080p uncompressed and only on a UHF channel period. Oh, and we are doing it in 1996. And when the cablecos and satcos cried about bandwidth, they could have been told "adapt or die". Instead the FCC, like seemingly every government agency, has a "dual role" to regulate and promote the industry. Thats why it and most other "dual role" agencies (FAA comes to mind) do such a lousy job. It is always a battle between engineers making suggestions based on expertise and the industry sycophants crying about how much that smoke detector in the cargo hold will cost and when the body count gets high enough the regulating arm begrudgingly acts. And no one is going to die if the FCC bows too much to the broadcasters.

Sorry for the epic rant.
post #3648 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

In areas like yours where all the networks have their own stations, perhaps this could be true. (I personally enjoy This TV though.)

However, in my area, I would not have access to CW or My Network TV without subchannels. In addition, I greatly enjoy the alternate PBS schedule(s) and MHz WorldView which would both not be available to me without subchannels.

Not really relevant to the thread, but just answering your message...

- Trip

This was true for me when I lived in Mississippi, too. Without subchannels, we wouldn't have had access to Fox programming (no CW, MYNT or alternate PBS programming in the MS Delta).

But here in Mobile the landscape seems to be over crowded with stations. There's also a lot of overlap with WEIQ and WSRE. Neither has a good HD PQ so far from what I've seen because of all the subchannels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sore_bluto View Post

I certainly understand your point. If only when the sausage was being made we could have gotten an authoritative rather than flexible "standard". All "they" (congre$$ and lobbi$ts) did was mandate a cloud of suggestions for this newfangled HDTV thing. "They" certainly could have said, in the US if you want a license, its 1920X1080p uncompressed and only on a UHF channel period. Oh, and we are doing it in 1996. And when the cablecos and satcos cried about bandwidth, they could have been told "adapt or die". Instead the FCC, like seemingly every government agency, has a "dual role" to regulate and promote the industry. Thats why it and most other "dual role" agencies (FAA comes to mind) do such a lousy job. It is always a battle between engineers making suggestions based on expertise and the industry sycophants crying about how much that smoke detector in the cargo hold will cost and when the body count gets high enough the regulating arm begrudgingly acts. And no one is going to die if the FCC bows too much to the broadcasters.

Sorry for the epic rant.

In a way, I blame some of this on engineers. Engineers, in my experience, aren't always the best at determining "what looks good" or for radio, "what sounds good". They only care about keeping the electronics from going haywire.

The engineers determined through some formula that the 6 MHz analog allocation could support X M/bits/sec and that would yeild X amount of standard definition digital channels, or whatever.

To limit each station to one feed would have, in their linear minds, required rebanding the TV spectrum to allocate less space to each station, say 2 MHz. And the PQ would have still suffered but it'd only be one channel per channel, so to speak.

Or maybe I'm way off base.

There's a strong independent, Libertarian streak in me and from that point of view, I think the flexibility is a good thing. Free OTA reception now yeilds a LOT more programming choices in many places, even though the quality is often suspect. But then, this is America, home of quantity over quality in all aspects of life.

The way I see it, if enough people complain, stations will drop subchannels and PQ will improve. In theory. Unfortunately people probably don't know better because most folks haven't seen a 1080i OTA feed with no subchannels to know how crisp and clean it can look.

Hell, 90% of the TVs I see in public these days that are widescreen flat panels don't show ANY HD content. Not at bars, not at restaurants, not in people's homes, hotels or beach condos.

People, for the most part, think it's HDTV when they hook up their snowy analog cable and it stretches to fill the screen.
post #3649 of 4173
Servo

In the end, you are likely right on. The market will drive what happens to the subs. And in most cases, they will go away simply because no one is watching them and not airing them makes the most financial sense. It is easy to forget that we are just getting the training wheels off.

As for the "people don't know what HD even is" comment, that was very true. But lately I've noticed that many of those panel TVs in bars and restaurants have gone from showing stretched analog cable to the real deal. People could be catching on, or maybe there are crafty antenna salesmen going door to door? I suspect it is a little of both.
post #3650 of 4173
Okay, now I have Dish Network but...
When I was going to turn to WSRE-TV to see one of my episode of Arthur, you see... it was shown all HD, but it's squeezed to 4:3 .I thought they carrying the HD feed of WSRE... Now come on Dish, we need the WSRE, WFGX, WEIQ, WJTC, and WFNA in HD on Dish Network!!!

Dish is still carrying WHBR, and DirecTV don't...
post #3651 of 4173
The Xfinity/Comcast app for iPhone lists some new HD channels that aren't showing up in the program guide yet. Perfect timing, Comcast Mobile. Just in time for the END of college football season.

193 Big10 HD
194 CBS College Sports HD
195 ESPNU HD
196 ESPN News HD
197 MLB HD
198 NHL HD
199 Outdoor HD
236 WGN America HD
post #3652 of 4173
Anyone having issues with WKRG hd on Cox?
post #3653 of 4173
Hey... Is it true ION Television will be available on Comcast? I seen it on TV Guide Network listings and it says it's on channel 83...
post #3654 of 4173
Just to give everyone a little data on why WKRG looks like what my dog leaves in the backyard on occasion:

OTA 1 hour show sizes, on TiVoHD

Fox/ABC 720p 7.2gb's
CW 1080i 7.87gb's (this channel looks really good, and how I wish all of them looked)
CBS 1080i 5.4gb's (lacking a little bitrate eh??)

Gotta love subchannels, it makes watching SEC games fun when everything falls apart into a blocky mess.

post #3655 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Just to give everyone a little data on why WKRG looks like what my dog leaves in the backyard on occasion:

OTA 1 hour show sizes, on TiVoHD

Fox/ABC 720p 7.2gb's
CW 1080i 7.87gb's (this channel looks really good, and how I wish all of them looked)
CBS 1080i 5.4gb's (lacking a little bitrate eh??)

Gotta love subchannels, it makes watching SEC games fun when everything falls apart into a blocky mess.


And what would be the chances of getting Media General to address this issue?

The issue is variable, but really evident on some of the college football games I have recorded. A snowy, snowy mess on many scenes.

But are you sure the compression necessited by the presence of the subchannels on WKRG is the sole cause? I have CBS College Sports on channel 613 on directv, which replays some of the college games in HD, and I suspect the blocking and pixelization issues are still present. I will have to check. I am going from memory.
post #3656 of 4173
Not sure it's the sole cause, but thats the worst CBS Ive seen in 3 markets. My recordings in Va were in the 7-8gb range, and it looked much better. I really hate WKRG right now, and a LOT of my sitcom/drama recording is done on 5.

If they'd just let go of one subchannel it'd prob help.
post #3657 of 4173
WKRG is definitely the worst looking CBS affiliate I've seen. I'd say after being spoiled by DirecTV and getting Birmingham locals for years, Mobile locals both on OTA and local cable has been seriously disappointing from a picture quality standpoint.
post #3658 of 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post
Not sure it's the sole cause, but thats the worst CBS Ive seen in 3 markets. My recordings in Va were in the 7-8gb range, and it looked much better. I really hate WKRG right now, and a LOT of my sitcom/drama recording is done on 5.

If they'd just let go of one subchannel it'd prob help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelawyer View Post
And what would be the chances of getting Media General to address this issue?

The issue is variable, but really evident on some of the college football games I have recorded. A snowy, snowy mess on some scenes.

But are you sure the compression necessited by the presence of the subchannels on WKRG is the sole cause? I have CBS College Sports on channel 613 on directv, which replays some of the college games in HD, and I suspect the blocking and pixelization issues are still present. I will have to check. I am going from memory.
I reviewed some of my recorded archives. The pixelization problem is just horrible on some of the CBS college sports games on channel 613, so on that issue, I am going to have to disagree. I went back to review some of my high def captures using the Hauppage HD-PVR, and the same problem is there on the CBS college sports recordings. So this pegs some of the responsbility for the pixelization at the head end: not WKRG, but CBS.

I don't have a basis of comparison with regard to CBS stations in other markets. The size of your files, however, would seem to be telling on the compression issue.

WKRG engineers used to monitor this forum, so maybe they will comment.
post #3659 of 4173
I agree that the sports are worse, but shows like CSI and Hawaii 5-0 are horrible, and they were not in other markets. I noticed it every year when we came home to visit also (set the inlaws up with OTA). The subchannels are def bringing it down, but the sports might be worse for other reasons, liek technical bandwidth issues higher up the chain.
post #3660 of 4173
Well, during the weather part on The Early Show, our local weather was back in 4:3 instead of in HD... But plus, what's when these videos stretched to widescreen in HD!? Don't they have to make that in 16:9?

On Comcast lineup list, it says that ION Television well be on channel 83 along with new channels including FamilyNet and Jewelry Television on Comcast. But could you tell us when they going to add them to these channels? We just saw it after the first 76 or 77 channels listed on TV Guide Network and the channel lineup card.

I just want to know about that though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV