or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Lexington, KY - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lexington, KY - HDTV - Page 170

post #5071 of 5238
Yeah I have no trouble picking up WDKY in Winchester. I live close to the Walmart and my antenna is in my attic.
post #5072 of 5238
Yeah I was going to say they are supposed to put up their new antenna but I am sure that won't be done until the spring or summer. WDKY is still on TWC, haven't seen anymore commercials about them dropping it.
post #5073 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_ky1 View Post

Yeah I was going to say they are supposed to put up their new antenna but I am sure that won't be done until the spring or summer. WDKY is still on TWC, haven't seen anymore commercials about them dropping it.

They agreed to a two week extention just before the new year. Furthermore, TWC (at least the customer reps) seems to be confident that the national "FOX" programming is not in jeopardy. I don't know if that's because of the so-called FOX "safety net" that I saw mentioned elsewhere, or if TWC is just trying to stave off any early defections.
post #5074 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_ky1 View Post

Yeah I was going to say they are supposed to put up their new antenna but I am sure that won't be done until the spring or summer. WDKY is still on TWC, haven't seen anymore commercials about them dropping it.

There are a couple of reasons for the antenna change..

1. It was originally tuned to 56 and fits the old analog pattern. When it was re-tuned to the current channel it was matched to the transmitter plant but not optimized for coverage.



2. The new antenna has an elliptical pattern ( Some of the energy is in the vertical plane). This sets them up for Mobile DTV and it makes sense as they are right next to I-75.
post #5075 of 5238
Noticed that The Country Network (TCN) is listed to be on WDKY, channnel 56.2.

Last time I looked, 56.2 showed The Cool TV.
post #5076 of 5238
I guess we aren't cool enough for the cool tv
post #5077 of 5238
I just thought y'all might like to know that I spotted the remote/uplink truck for WLKY at the Texas Travel Center near Orange, Texas this afternoon, undoubtedly on the way to the final 4 in Houston. It was kinda neat to see it so far from its home here in Southeast Texas...
post #5078 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead View Post

I just thought y'all might like to know that I spotted the remote/uplink truck for WLKY at the Texas Travel Center near Orange, Texas this afternoon, undoubtedly on the way to the final 4 in Houston. It was kinda neat to see it so far from its home here in Southeast Texas...

Very cool... I am sure that you will see Lex/Lou/Cin stations in TX this weekend. Along with a lot of blue!
post #5079 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead View Post

... remote/uplink truck for WLKY at the Texas ... far from its home here in Southeast Texas...

Yes, quite a way for a local station.

Guess you know WLKY is a Louisville station (channel 32 -virtual). Well, the call could be for Lexington, but it isn't

Anyone know what happened to "The Country Network" at WDKY?

Soon after I posted, TCN removed WDKY from their listing and it has remained absent.
post #5080 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripelo View Post

Yes, quite a way for a local station.

Guess you know WLKY is a Louisville station (channel 32 -virtual). Well, the call could be for Lexington, but it isn't

Anyone know what happened to "The Country Network" at WDKY?

Soon after I posted, TCN removed WDKY from their listing and it has remained absent.

I remember that WDKY was on there, but the COOL TV still remains. I am sure that TCN would do better in this market. Not sure if they will do a 56.3?
post #5081 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripelo View Post

Yes, quite a way for a local station.

Guess you know WLKY is a Louisville station (channel 32 -virtual). Well, the call could be for Lexington, but it isn't

Oops... (see apropriate quote below) I stand corrected. I will list on the Louisville thread also.
post #5082 of 5238
I see that WTVQ is doing dual HD channels now. MYTVQ 2 is showing an HD movie, but ABC36 is showing a SD cartoon.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
post #5083 of 5238
Is anyone having trouble getting WUPX-21? I have a difficult time with picking it up... or it's WCPO-22 interfering with it.
post #5084 of 5238
I am also in Gtown and have not been able to pick up upx for quite some time. I have an outdoor uhf antenna. I never really bothered to tweak it as I receive upx via dish network so it has never been a big deal.

By the way I am enjoying tvq-2 - nice to have some stuff like The Office reruns in HD. And although I haven't really analyzed it a bunch, the few times I looked it over I haven't really noticed to many issues with decreased pq on tvq-1, so whatever they are doing appears to work pretty well. But I haven't seen how a fast moving sports program looks on .1 since the changeover.
post #5085 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_ky1 View Post

Is anyone having trouble getting WUPX-21? I have a difficult time with picking it up... or it's WCPO-22 interfering with it.

Seemed OK here (Boyle Co) the last time I scanned up there (which was probably before the weekend.) It's even been mostly viewable off the attic antenna rig ... depending on time of day.
post #5086 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber22 View Post

By the way I am enjoying tvq-2 - nice to have some stuff like The Office reruns in HD. And although I haven't really analyzed it a bunch, the few times I looked it over I haven't really noticed to many issues with decreased pq on tvq-1, so whatever they are doing appears to work pretty well. But I haven't seen how a fast moving sports program looks on .1 since the changeover.

Oh my ... how far have our expectations have fallen. Every time I look at ABC's 720p test loops from 1998 (one of which is on the DVE HD Basics disk,) I mourn for what might have been. And those were made using *prototype* cameras.
post #5087 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Seemed OK here (Boyle Co) the last time I scanned up there (which was probably before the weekend.) It's even been mostly viewable off the attic antenna rig ... depending on time of day.

Just a follow up: I checked it yesterday ~6pm and it was OK ... right on the edge of the digital cliff using my attic rig. I didn't bother to fire up the roof antenna.
post #5088 of 5238
It looks like the last remaining hold out (WLKY) has succumbed to the multicast madness. They've had a 480i bars & tone sub-channel for several weeks. They announced in yesterday's "Courier Journal," that they intend to start programming 32.2 with "olde-tymey" shows starting on Sept. 1.

R.I.P.
post #5089 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

...They've had a 480i bars & tone sub-channel for several weeks. They announced in yesterday's "Courier Journal," that they intend to start programming 32.2 with "olde-tymey" shows starting on Sept. 1.

Thanks for the date (not a subscriber to the CJ).

For some time, had observed the test bars and tone.

RabbitEars has said it would be MeTV.
post #5090 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripelo View Post

Thanks for the date (not a subscriber to the CJ).

For some time, had observed the test bars and tone.

RabbitEars has said it would be MeTV.

I noticed that they started running an announcement crawl on 32.2 within the past couple of days too.
post #5091 of 5238
Pssst ...

I don't want to jinx it, but I noticed that WBKI is finally passing CW-HD on 34.1 again.
post #5092 of 5238
As much as everyone complains about free HDTV, I wonder if anyone here would miss it if it were gone. I'm guessing most of us would. I know that there is a small difference in 720P and 1080i, I understand that progressive scanning is better for sports, but some posters don't consider it real HDTV. I also know that I view everything from 720P to 1080P on my 52" Sammy, and all HDTV standards are vastly superior to the the old analog SD broadcasts. I am reassured that I will be able to watch free TV if I am going through a difficult financial situation. I do not need to pay a cent to watch local news, and some pretty fantastic network programming. I don't even need a broadband connection. For many years I survived with free analog TV and the local library's collection of free DVDs. I was paying an insane amount of child support at the time. A $40 cable bill was out of the question! I still had access to weather maps, local news, and great programming. Newspapers and radio are not all that great for weather radar. On 9-11-2001, I watched, on free TV, the terror attacks on the trade center. Imagine if something was happening locally, and I had to read it in the paper the following day...

Congress is debating the future of free broadcast television. There is a call to take channels 31-51 as soon as possible. Some would like to move broadcast television back to VHF, and take the entire UHF spectrum. This would end free HDTV, and at some point end free TV altogether. Digital TV (digital anything) doesn't work all that well at VHF, and that is exactly why the broadband proponents want to move broadcast television there. The folks pushing the national broadband plan really don't care about what happens to free TV, they want to sell you more broadband. This is about money, your money! That is what they want to get their hands on. ("They" includes Microsoft, cell phone companies, cable companies, both local and federal government, you know who "they" are) They are not suggesting an advertiser supported "free" broadband, they want to charge you for the spectrum that you are currently receiving for free.

We have asked for an analysis of available spectrum. The government has no idea exactly what frequencies are actually in use and where or when they are used. The frequency spectrum charts show a willy nilly approach to allotment.

Frequency Chart

Here's an idea that we should pass along to our congress person. Why don't you figure out what spectrum is in use and where before you grab more? Why don't you take your time and do this correctly? Sure we can approve a new broadcast standard that will provide HDTV on less bandwidth. Awesome. We will have a bunch of new jobs in China building the televisions, we will have a bunch of new jobs in China building the new broadband devices that utilize the spectrum, we will have a bunch of new taxes on the new services that Americans are utilizing (for a small fee.) We will have more cell phone companies charging for using more than 2GB of data (what's up with that?) Sure we will have better access to porn, but our pockets get emptied. Why can't we think these things through?

I expect some haters out there. I know we need to make many changes as time progresses. I just think we need a modern look at the entire spectrum, not just broadcast TV, and that it is thought all the way through. Creating more jobs in China should not be our goal. Before we provide the Feds with spectrum to sell, we should have a solid plan that protects free HDTV. This is an important service for our elderly and our poor. We need to have a plan to build the new televisions and broadband devices in the US, not China. I don't expect America to sit around and "do nothing", I do expect us to think things through and use our brains!

Obama's health care plan, the stimulus bills, the jobs bill. Don't think about them, certainly don't read them, just pass these bills! Congress is currently debating taking a large chunk of free TV spectrum, please tell them to leave free HDTV alone while they think it through.

You can contact your congress person here:

Contact Congress
post #5093 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV4usinky View Post


Contact Congress

I did write him... we will see where it goes. I love my local FREE HDTV!! For HDTV4usinky > Has WDKY is still going to replace the antenna for channel 31?
post #5094 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_ky1 View Post

I did write him... we will see where it goes. I love my local FREE HDTV!! For HDTV4usinky

I was trying to avoid making a comment on this subject, but since I've got a couple of beers on board here's my opinion.

1. The minute broadcasters decided they needed to reach into my wallet just because I have cable a/o satellite service, is the minute they lost any right to whine about (potentially) losing their precious OTA spectrum.

2. It's clear from the various and ever multiplying multicast scams that, broadcasters no longer care about "serving the public good." All they care about is maximizing the amount of advertising minutes and revenue/profits along with whatever "retransmission fees" they can manage to extort from the public.

Sorry, y'all's on your own with this one.
post #5095 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

1. The minute broadcasters decided they needed to reach into my wallet just because I have cable a/o satellite service, is the minute they lost any right to whine about (potentially) losing their precious OTA spectrum.

They're still offering you the same, free, OTA service that they always had. Nothing changed there.

Why don't you complain about the cable company instead. They're charging you money to deliver you broadcast channels that you could already receive for free with an antenna, right? Why should they get to profit from that but not the broadcaster? Of course they could always offer service without the local broadcast channels and you could continue to use antenna to receive the OTA stations... but they don't do that, do they? If an OTA station asks for any amount of money for carriage rights, they lose the "must carry" option.

Lots of people pay for things like HULU and Netflix, so they can watch TV shows that were originally on broadcast TV. I don't see you complaining that those shows aren't given to you for free with that delivery method.

The cable and satellite model is BROKEN. That's where the problem is.
post #5096 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

2. It's clear from the various and ever multiplying multicast scams that, broadcasters no longer care about "serving the public good." All they care about is maximizing the amount of advertising minutes and revenue/profits along with whatever "retransmission fees" they can manage to extort from the public.

I don't think you understand how "market" and "economics" work. If broadcasters put out a product that is not appealing to the public, they won't watch, and the broadcaster won't make money. It's in their best interest to put out a good product that appeals to the masses. Obviously people are watching the subchannels, or at least the stations, in good faith, believe that they are.

And again, why don't you complain to the cable company, that continues to try to squeeze more and more channels into a finite amount of bandwidth, so that they can "justify" charging you more. Not that you had the choice of whether you wanted to pay for those new channels that you'll never watch.

And while we're on that subject, it's getting completely ridiculous that every little thing now needs its own channel. e.g. Big Ten Network (one among MANY examples). They've got about 10-15 pieces of content (games) that are in high demand, and they make a CHANNEL out of it? What's on that channel 9 months out of the year? And they FIGHT to get their channel on the most basic tier possible, so that ALL subscribers have to pay for it, even though MOST subscribers will never even tune to the channel.
post #5097 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp2244 View Post

They're still offering you the same, free, OTA service that they always had. Nothing changed there

Ridiculous arguments like this (^^^^) are why I've been biting my tongue on the subject.

Nope ... not gonna lift a finger ... OTOH, up until now I had no inclination to throw my support behind the opposing forces, so keep up the good work winning hearts and minds.

PS: I'm trying real hard to keep my responses civil.
post #5098 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Ridiculous arguments like this (^^^^) are why I've been biting my tongue on the subject.

Please explain what is ridiculous about what I said.
post #5099 of 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Ridiculous arguments like this (^^^^) are why I've been biting my tongue on the subject.

Nope ... not gonna lift a finger ... OTOH, up until now I had no inclination to throw my support behind the opposing forces, so keep up the good work winning hearts and minds.

PS: I'm trying real hard to keep my responses civil.

With all due respect, look at it from the industry side, Cable and DBS are selling you the consumer a degraded product that you could have for free. Those same entities have been willing to pay other programming providers for services for years, and broadcasters didn't raise much of a fuss UNTIL those entities started running commercials and competing for direct sales. Its even worse for non comms who have been and are being pushed off the basic tiers and moved to the higher $ packages.

Retransmission consent allows the stations a way to recover lost revenue and sometimes off you the consumer more programming choices.

With KET, we can only elect "Must Carry" and we have to fight to get carriage of KETKY and we don't charge any thing. DISH and DIRECT will only offer KET2 in the Louisville market.

So it works both ways...
post #5100 of 5238
HDTVChallenged.... Challenged, yes.....You are A Very Special member. Have another beer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Lexington, KY - HDTV