Originally Posted by nick1817
* It seems over the past week I've lost either Ch. 5 Hd or Ch. 13. I thought signal drops were a Sat. problem? Is this common or a symptom of the cable run to this house?
I used to have that happen to certain channels on the same frequency band. Usually it's line interference of some kind. If you call them and explain it, they'll send a tech out to check.
* Why the hell am I paying $7 for HD access/outlet PLUS $17 for DVR service? Two HD DVR's adds about $40 a month?
Wow... the prices went way up. I was paying $5 for the DVR and HD used to be free. The one thing about Comcast is, you can negotiate with them, especially if you threaten to go to satellite. Just get the latest advertisement for DirecTV or Dish out, and ask the rep why you'd stay with Comcast. They'll usually give you a pretty good deal.
* They must recycle the heck out of these HD DVRs, because I have one that is dented and has a noisy HD in it.
Both of my boxes were brand new, but then I got them when each model first came out. It wouldn't surprise me if they were recycling them. Keep in mind that if you leave Comcast, they will NOT come pick the boxes up, and will keep billing you full price until you go down and turn them in yourself.
* Why aren't the menu's HD? Seems like an easy fix...
Because Comcast in Memphis elected to keep the crappy Scientific Atlanta cable boxes from Time Warner, which have used the same menu style for at least a decade, literally. SA stuff is horribly outdated, slim on features and really buggy. But it's cheap, which is what the cable providers like.
* Overall, how is comcast service in Memphis?
Was a customer for 6 years. Terribly overpriced, especially after their "specials" run out. HD channel offerings are/were pathetic compared to satellite. Service itself wasn't bad, and OnDemand was nice. Rarely had an outage, but that varies from area to area.
I was a little put off when I went in, had to pay the first month of service, plus $100 deposit for each HD-DVR. Totalled almost $400..
I know D* makes you "buy" their boxes, so I guess really thats a wash...
Wow... I didn't have to do anything like that for either of my boxes. When do they give you your money back?
Satellite may make you buy the boxes, but they usually have so many first-time buyer specials, that it almost always ends up being free or close to it.