or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Memphis, TN - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Memphis, TN - HDTV - Page 193

post #5761 of 6015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Looks like WREG news is now in HD. Haven't seen the other graphics but for a start I already don't like the row of WREG's that are below the story caption that highlight from beginning to end. Why?

I noticed the new graphics this morning on the kitchen TV (standard Def). Even the wife thought they were awful, I thought it was just me being a broadcast nerd....
post #5762 of 6015
I watched a few minutes of the 10 pm news tonight and yeah I don't like the graphics. I still don't understand why they have to highlight WREG across the screen when there is a stagnant 3 right beside it.

And the colors on the newspeople just look off to me. Too much filtering? My wife said they looked soft and blurry.
post #5763 of 6015
And what's up with the audio ? Sounds like the weekend shift....
post #5764 of 6015
The chatter here finally convinced me to watch WREG during the 5pm newscast today. Halfway through, and all I can tell so far is it's like they didn't have time to rehearse or practice with the new equipment! The sound levels are all over the place. I didn't notice the issues with the graphics, though. But I couldn't take the sound levels, had to change the channel back over to 5.
post #5765 of 6015
I, too, have waited a long time for channel 3 to get with the (HD) program only to now be totally disappointed! I agree, what is with the picture?? Colors are off and the picture does look blurry!! Goodness gracious are their tech people blind?
post #5766 of 6015
Meh, I guess it just doesn't matter to me (I tuned in today just to see what all the fuss is about), I watch the news for the news. I don't care what the set looks like. Don't care about picture quality either.
post #5767 of 6015
I've been out of town teh past few days but it doesn't sound like the AQ/PQ got any better. WMC and WHBQ's HD newscasts are so much better.
post #5768 of 6015
I will not be watching WREG now. I cannot stand the new extremely distracting flashing animated graphics while I am trying to watch the news. WREG should ask for a refund for them.
post #5769 of 6015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

i've been out of town teh past few days but it doesn't sound like the aq/pq got any better. Wmc and whbq's hd newscasts are so much better.


Ditto!!
post #5770 of 6015
I have Comcast cable service in the Memphis market. For a set top box I have an Cisco RNG200 HD DVR.

On the morning of Tuesday 07/13/10 when I came into the den, the face of the DVR didn't show the clock. Odd. I powered it up and it took a little longer than normal and then gave an error screen saying something like that the network wasn't available.

I had been watching QAM on my KWORLD SA290-Q LE so I knew that the cable-ready was working. I turned it off and went on about my business.

That afternoon when I returned home the clock was back so I figured everything was Ok. Wrong.

Later in the evening of Tuesday 07/13/10 when I went to look at some recorded programs I discovered that all my programs and programming were gone!

I called 1-800-COMCAST and went through the obligatory 20 questions only to be told that they were too busy to talk to me. I immediately started pressing 0 over and over and ended up listening to Muzak (or some cheap equivalent).

When the representative came on she told me that Comcast had pushed an update to the Cisco RNG200s overnight and it had been unsuccessful. The result was that all of them were WIPED! I whined some and she agreed to give me a credit for a month of the DVR service of $15.95.

If this happened to you be sure to call Comcast for your credit.
post #5771 of 6015
Ouch!

Who do they think they are, D*?
post #5772 of 6015
I work in northwest Memphis off 51 and I'm trying to get good indoor OTA reception in my office. I have tried both a powered rabbit ear vhs/loop uhf antenna and and a square powered omni-directional antenna and I don't get any better signal strength than than a non-powered plain ole rabbit ear non-rotational loop antenna. First I was only able to get a weak 3-1 a few weeks ago and just last week while re-scanning I lost 3-1 and gained 10-1 and 10-2, both still weak. Any help is appreciated as I am tired of adjusting and re-scanning(that seems to take forever!). I haven't had to use antennas in decades so maybe I don't know how to adjust the stupid things. Outdoor antennas are not an option. Thanks.
post #5773 of 6015
WHBQ is starting construction of "Maximization" today. This is a change of antenna and of transmitter power.

Specifically, the old omnidirectional antenna from 1953 will be removed, and replaced with a new antenna with a "peanut" pattern. The narrow part of the peanut shape will be the same diameter as the circle that the old antenna produced, and the long ends of the peanut will point toward the northeast and southwest, increasing coverage slightly in those directions. This is to avoid interference to stations toward the northwest and southeast.

The antenna also includes a vertical polarization component (the old one was horizontal only, so receiving antennas would only be at their best if they were horizontal as well). This makes it easier to receive the signal with vertical antennas, or with rabbit ear antennas that are in a "V" shape.

With the new antenna comes an increase in transmitter power. The current power out of the antenna is 12 kiloWatts. The new antenna will be 95 kW in the horizontal plane, and 47.5 kW in the vertical. This is in the direction of the peanut ends. The big benefit is not increased coverage area, although there will be some, but the increase of power density in the areas close to the transmitter site, the ones most likely to be using an indoor antenna.

To make the antenna change, the tower will need some strengthening. As the work proceeds, there will have to be some use of the backup antenna, which is lower on the tower. It is supposed to have the same coverage as the main antenna, but being lower, some areas may lose their line-of sight reception (I do where I live - it places it just below a hill near my house). This also means there will be a disruption of the signal every time the antenna is switched.

This should occur only during daytime hours while the crew is working on the tower, so the prime time shows shouldn't be affected. If anything out of the ordinary happens to the signal, I'll post it here.

Thanks,
post #5774 of 6015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroteddy View Post

I work in northwest Memphis off 51 and I'm trying to get good indoor OTA reception in my office. I have tried both a powered rabbit ear vhs/loop uhf antenna and and a square powered omni-directional antenna and I don't get any better signal strength than than a non-powered plain ole rabbit ear non-rotational loop antenna. First I was only able to get a weak 3-1 a few weeks ago and just last week while re-scanning I lost 3-1 and gained 10-1 and 10-2, both still weak. Any help is appreciated as I am tired of adjusting and re-scanning(that seems to take forever!). I haven't had to use antennas in decades so maybe I don't know how to adjust the stupid things. Outdoor antennas are not an option. Thanks.

You shouldn't need a powered antenna living in Memphis. Likely the amp in the antenna is overloading the signal which will make it not come in. A simple not powered UHF loop antenna should work. Also though it depends on where in your office you are located and how big it is, what it's made of? If you're in the center of a huge building then not much is going to help. Also fluorescent lighting affects DTV signals.

a tvfool report would help.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
post #5775 of 6015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV Dave View Post

...a new antenna with a "peanut" pattern. The narrow part of the peanut shape will be the same diameter as the circle that the old antenna produced, and the long ends of the peanut will point toward the northeast and southwest, increasing coverage slightly in those directions.

Sure hope this doesn't hurt reception up here. We are on the fringe as it is, and not in a direction in which the "peanut" will provide increased power. So I hope you're right about the "peanut" being at least as large as the current "circle".
post #5776 of 6015
Even in the deepest null, the new antenna will not provide less than 14.38 kW. That's more than the current 12 kW.

- Trip
post #5777 of 6015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV Dave View Post

WHBQ is starting construction of "Maximization" today. This is a change of antenna and of transmitter power.

Specifically, the old omnidirectional antenna from 1953 will be removed, and replaced with a new antenna with a "peanut" pattern. The narrow part of the peanut shape will be the same diameter as the circle that the old antenna produced, and the long ends of the peanut will point toward the northeast and southwest, increasing coverage slightly in those directions. This is to avoid interference to stations toward the northwest and southeast.

The antenna also includes a vertical polarization component (the old one was horizontal only, so receiving antennas would only be at their best if they were horizontal as well). This makes it easier to receive the signal with vertical antennas, or with rabbit ear antennas that are in a "V" shape.

With the new antenna comes an increase in transmitter power. The current power out of the antenna is 12 kiloWatts. The new antenna will be 95 kW in the horizontal plane, and 47.5 kW in the vertical. This is in the direction of the peanut ends. The big benefit is not increased coverage area, although there will be some, but the increase of power density in the areas close to the transmitter site, the ones most likely to be using an indoor antenna.

To make the antenna change, the tower will need some strengthening. As the work proceeds, there will have to be some use of the backup antenna, which is lower on the tower. It is supposed to have the same coverage as the main antenna, but being lower, some areas may lose their line-of sight reception (I do where I live - it places it just below a hill near my house). This also means there will be a disruption of the signal every time the antenna is switched.

This should occur only during daytime hours while the crew is working on the tower, so the prime time shows shouldn't be affected. If anything out of the ordinary happens to the signal, I'll post it here.

Thanks,

Was this copied and pasted out of the Business Justification? LOL
Seriously, great info, keep it coming. Very refreshing to see the pro side drop some knowledge on us lo lee consumers. All we normally get is the the sales fluff.
post #5778 of 6015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfxr27 View Post

Was this copied and pasted out of the Business Justification? LOL

No, but it was pretty close! I also did a comparison with going to a UHF channel, and this turned out to be the better choice. I hope I was right! We'll see in about three weeks.
post #5779 of 6015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV Dave View Post

WHBQ is starting construction of "Maximization" today. This is a change of antenna and of transmitter power.

Specifically, the old omnidirectional antenna from 1953 will be removed, and replaced with a new antenna with a "peanut" pattern. The narrow part of the peanut shape will be the same diameter as the circle that the old antenna produced, and the long ends of the peanut will point toward the northeast and southwest, increasing coverage slightly in those directions. This is to avoid interference to stations toward the northwest and southeast.

The antenna also includes a vertical polarization component (the old one was horizontal only, so receiving antennas would only be at their best if they were horizontal as well). This makes it easier to receive the signal with vertical antennas, or with rabbit ear antennas that are in a "V" shape.

With the new antenna comes an increase in transmitter power. The current power out of the antenna is 12 kiloWatts. The new antenna will be 95 kW in the horizontal plane, and 47.5 kW in the vertical. This is in the direction of the peanut ends. The big benefit is not increased coverage area, although there will be some, but the increase of power density in the areas close to the transmitter site, the ones most likely to be using an indoor antenna.

To make the antenna change, the tower will need some strengthening. As the work proceeds, there will have to be some use of the backup antenna, which is lower on the tower. It is supposed to have the same coverage as the main antenna, but being lower, some areas may lose their line-of sight reception (I do where I live - it places it just below a hill near my house). This also means there will be a disruption of the signal every time the antenna is switched.

This should occur only during daytime hours while the crew is working on the tower, so the prime time shows shouldn't be affected. If anything out of the ordinary happens to the signal, I'll post it here.

Thanks,

When is the new antenna going up on the tower?
post #5780 of 6015
At least you're not on lo-band....

Good luck with you changeover, we'll be watching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV Dave View Post

No, but it was pretty close! I also did a comparison with going to a UHF channel, and this turned out to be the better choice. I hope I was right! We'll see in about three weeks.
post #5781 of 6015
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Fan View Post

When is the new antenna going up on the tower?

It will probably be finished by the end of August, maybe sooner if the weather is good. The second week in August is probably when we will start removing the old antenna and the top 20' of tower to make way for the replacement (including a new top 20' section). Right now, we're working on strengthening the tower and removing the old channel 53 antennas.
post #5782 of 6015
I have a question? Does CW 30 (WLMT) show their own movies on Sunday Night? Or does it come from a national feed? Because if they show their own movies the movie they are showing tonight (Aug 1) is its in HD.... which could be good signs to come.... but I have a feeling this is just some wishful thinking.... =)
post #5783 of 6015
This Fourm seems kinda...... empty... Well anyway I tuned into ABC 24 (WPTY) today at 5 and there was no newscast... now at six there is still no newscast they are just showing Friends.... Tonight is Aug. 5... Election Night.... Kinda a important TV News night.... It just seems kinda of interesting/weird....
post #5784 of 6015
I think they made up for it.... Ch 3 had really bad sync problems last night, worst I have seen in quite awhile
post #5785 of 6015
Yeah it was bad. The sync problems lasted until the first commercial break of the Letterman show when they dropped the full screen election graphics.
post #5786 of 6015
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastoy View Post

I have Comcast cable service in the Memphis market. For a set top box I have an Cisco RNG200 HD DVR.

When did Comcast Memphis start pushing these boxes out and does it still use that ugly menu with the 1987 graphics?
post #5787 of 6015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscallions View Post

When did Comcast Memphis start pushing these boxes out and does it still use that ugly menu with the 1987 graphics?

I have 2 of these boxes now in my home. They seem ok. The take a long time to boot cold if you remove power but are fine otherwise.

Nothing is different in these.... Menus and all are pulled down from the head end are the same no matter what box you have.
post #5788 of 6015
The Cisco box I had did not even have hdmi or componet out, the cable guy hooked it straight to my cable in on my TV. I would of been really mad but I have TiVo and when the cable card came in I was back on HD, other wise I would of been mad as I did not have HD hooked up properly.

They still screwed it up as we had to call as the m-card I have was not set up right and I was missing channels, we had to wait for the one guy at comcast who knew how to fix the issue. He had to reconfigure the card for the proper lineup now I get all the channels I am supposed too. With Kmttg and pytivo I can now push pull content to my file server very good setup. I am pleased except it takes a month of sundays to transfer content over wifi, I need to install an ethernet to my tivo/tv/blu-ray for faster pulls and pushes.
post #5789 of 6015
I have a strange issue - my setup is two DirecTV HD/DVR boxes. First is a HR20/100, 2nd is a HR22/100. Up until yesterday my Multi-Room was working fine and dandy. I did not invest in the DirecTV network kit as I have full 100 Mbit connectivity between the two boxes via Wireless N bridging. Anyway, I digress. At 2:35 AM my HR22/100 updated itself to software revision 0x40d - not sure what all changed, but where I used to configure Multi-Room in the menu, now I configure Whole-Home. What else changed is it will no longer talk to my HR20. On both boxes it shows as shared and authorized. Both boxes have networking as evidenced by the "On Demand" functionality of each works and I can download shows over the Internet.

So far I have tried - reboot both receivers (reset)
Attempt to download new software for HR20 - did software download but still has 0x3df software that it has had since June 2.

Looking for ideas anyone? Are the revisions just not compatible? Anyone know how to revert my HR22 to previous software level?

TIA -- Bill
post #5790 of 6015
Weird. I dropped MRV when they started charging for it. I would suggest posting on dbstalk.com to see if someone has any ideas.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Memphis, TN - HDTV