On the VHF reception question from Lee:
At 8.5 miles out in a ditch 1 edge worsened by 20 foot trees (fir and other deciduous), an outdoor UHF yagi
at 10 foot AGL gets me everything reliablyAs for indoor antennas:
Using a whip antenna (those UHF remote antenna for Dish Network/4DTV) inside the house I can get KPXG, KPDX, and KATU most every time.
Before the switch, KRCW-DT KOIN-DT and KPDX-DT were the hardest to get, everything else was receivable.
KOIN comes in according to the weather.
With a set of VHF rods aimed West instead of NW I then get KGW, KOPB, KPTV
KPTV reception is very touchy. Any extra multipath such as a rocking Lazyboy, person walking, and breakup happens.
At 15 miles with near perfect LOS and the same UHF-only antenna at 5 foot AGL, the DigitalStream DTX-9950 meter reports 70-90 on all but KGW with shows up at a constant 59.===============================================Now as a comparison,
I went for a vacation to Montana
and went to tweak my Grandmother's set up. Missoula, MT digital stations we could pick up at 45 miles are on RF RF7 (8.1 CBS, 8.2 CW), RF13 (13.1 NBC) and RF23 (23.1 ABC, 23.2 Fox)
Kallispell stations were RF9 (9.1 NBC), RF27 (27.1 PBS-HD, 27.2 PBS/Montana PBS)
She lives right 150 foot from the highway so multipath is quite the problem.
The reception was incessantly breaking up. As an example, During Jeopardy the audio would drop out on either the question or the answer. EVERY TIME.
She had a brass Channelmaster VHF/UHF at 15 foot AGL. It had RG-59 attached. Swapped it out for some RG-6Q I had brought.
All but one station was acting appropriately now with dropouts every minute or so.
RF 7 still acted as though I had done nothing.
I pulled out a ferrite sleeve that I had brought.
Before anyone asks more details on what kind of ferrite, understand I have No Idea. I pulled it off some unused phoneline I had after a previous post here.
Putting the ferrite sleeve on the RG-6Q had no effect at any length.
Placing it on the power cord and moving it up and down the cord until RF7 came in "perfect"
All stations were now up to my standards except RF7 again.
Still experiencing dropouts, but now it was only when larger trucks rolled by.
Since RF 23 was the weakest, I couldn't attenuate hardly at all.
I started to set up a A-B switch attenuator system when I noticed that just one old -4dB two-way splitter was enough that RF7 was no longer dropping out save once in a 10 minute period, while RF23 still came in.
Grandma was quite happy. I wasn't pleased, but satisfied with what it had come from in 2 days.
RG-59 crimped to RG-6Q compression fittings
RCA DTA800B1 to Zenith DTT-900
And a 15-year old antenna still in use.
Now my great-uncle just across the fence just needed to turn his antenna in the right direction. But he has a metal roof between his antenna and the high way. *shrugs*
It was a good experience.
WITHOUT AMPLIFIERS or even PRE-AMPS at 45 Miles!
EDIT: ADDED PICTURES
1. Channelmaster VHF/UHF antenna
2. Ferrite sleeve on DTT-900
3. Unterminated 4.0dB Splitter