Originally Posted by frankd
I had Comcast for years and now have FIOS. I don't think FIOS is any better in terms of in the clear channels. Also be aware of their pricing practices I went for the $99/mon deal and my bill is around $140/mon after taxes and 3 boxes (1 HD, 1 SD, 1 DTA, 0 DVR). Picture quality and internet speed are good. I'm not looking to switch back to Comcast; I see it as pick your poison.
Agreed, there is no advantage AFAICT WRT clear channels. It was just one thing that was a feature that comcast had.
I've moved, have FIOS and canceled my Comcast service 10 minutes ago. I just realized that I had Comcast service since 1995. 15 years. Wow.
I did initially move my Comcast service to the new house. The tech that installed seemed to be a good guy but I wasn't moved in on that day and when I did move in I had to call them 3 times to get my two DTAs and internet activated. Each call was 25 minutes on average and very painful.
Getting FIOS installed was no joy ride, though. They had me scheduled for Friday 8a-5p. I called at 11:30 when they were not here yet and was told "he should be there soon". I called at 4:45 again and after an hour on the phone was finally told they scheduled my install with a tech that was ON VACATION. They made it right the next day and got a guy out here to install it. So yes, I agree it is "pick your poison".
The reasons I switched:
- they could not move my old phone number and could not get me a new 610 number. Verizon at least got me a 610.
- they do not have multiroom DVR although they say they will by July 15 now.
- the activation process was painful and in fact I did not schedule the FIOS install until after I was put through that
Since I have gotten FIOS, I have found:
- There are a more HD channels, a lot more.
- All the movie channels are in HD where with comcast it was only one of each.
- I am getting a few of those movie channels I didn't have with comcast included in the price
- Price is about the same as comcast was with no commitment. I could be $20 lower per month if I locked in for 2 years, but I didn't want to do that, at least not yet.
- The on demand response time for pause, fast rewind and forward is faster
- The DVR and slave HD unit have interfaces that look a lot better. This really does not matter to me but it is just embarrassing for comcast that the guide and DVR interface still looks like an Atari 2600.
Good luck to all you Comcasters. I may be back if they make me an offer I can't refuse.