or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Philadelphia, PA - Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philadelphia, PA - Comcast - Page 349

post #10441 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfdad123 View Post

Thanks for the response. It comes in for me on 65.1 on 2 different HDTVs and on my Philips DVD recorder but none in HD. Tried rescanning. My friend in Cheltenham got it for a while and now no longer has it, I never had it. Question is are they supposed to pass through the HD feed or are they only required to pass through the channnel in SD? My DVD recorder doesn't record in HD but PQ is much better when recording an HD feed.


Finished moving in this weekend and did a full erase settings QAM scan. Univision HD is on physical channel 65-1 in KoP, unencrypted. And yes the SD version is PSIP'ed to 65-1 as well, so that will cause problems with some QAM tuners as they cannot 'understand' why there are two 65-1 channels.
post #10442 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Finished moving in this weekend and did a full erase settings QAM scan. Univision HD is on physical channel 65-1 in KoP, unencrypted. And yes the SD version is PSIP'ed to 65-1 as well, so that will cause problems with some QAM tuners as they cannot 'understand' why there are two 65-1 channels.

I have the same issue with 8-1 being ABC HD and Comcast CN8 or whatever they call it now but the tuners on both tvs and the Philips recorder pick both 8-1's up. But they can't seem to pickup both 65-1's.
post #10443 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Jones View Post

So.. I currently have 1 DVR & use Qam on 3 other sets & pay $15.95/month & have digital pref.

To take advantage of any room DVR & to re-gain what I've lost on QAM (and more of course), I'll pay $19.95 + $9.25 x 3 for a grand total of $49.80/month which is $45.80/month more than I pay now, is that correct?

Yes, except $19.95 + (9.25 x 3) = $47.70 (+ fees, no tax in DE, AFAIK.)
post #10444 of 10685
At least as of last night, it appears that Comcast is now encrypting Comcast Sports Network in Egg Harbor Township, NJ. It was coming in just fine a couple of day ago on 80.3 on our Sony TV, but last night I went to turn on the Phillies game and got, "Signal cannot be decoded". After doing a full auto reprogram, it seems that there are far fewer channels than there were the other day.
post #10445 of 10685
Why do I have to get DTV boxes for my 4 television sets? Why can't I just use my built-in ATSC or QAM tuner? Stupid design.

And why is Comcast charging $5 per box? That's outrageous. Just sell the box to me for $40 like those coupon-eligible boxes, instead of raping me month after month after month. Grrr. When they told me it would cost $80 a month to reconnect cable, I hung-up the phone.
post #10446 of 10685
Quote:


Why do I have to get DTV boxes for my 4 television sets?

Because Comcast removed analog format expanded basic tier channels to make room for more HD channels and future upgrades/services/new channels.

Quote:


Why can't I just use my built-in ATSC or QAM tuner? Stupid design.

Umm... ATSC has absolutely nothing to do with cable television. You can't use your QAM tuner because the channels are encrypted, in large part due to pressure from the content providers who want to protect their product.

Quote:


And why is Comcast charging $5 per box?

In Southeast PA(and most if not all the rest of the nation where Comcast has done this), the first 2 DTA boxes are included at no extra charge with your cable package. Starting with the 3rd one, they are $1.99 a month(includes the equipment and no addt'l outlet fee).

Quote:


Just sell the box to me for $40 like those coupon-eligible boxes, instead of raping me month after month after month.

No such product exists in the consumer marketplace to do what these DTAs do, and if it did it would cost a lot more than $40 because it would have to contain a CableCARD due to the FCC seperable security mandate.

Quote:


When they told me it would cost $80 a month to reconnect cable, I hung-up the phone.

Good for you. Call a satellite provider and switch to them if you don't like what Comcast has done. TV isn't a utility you HAVE to have, you are more than free to switch to Directv or Dish. Or put up an antenna and get FREE television over the air.
post #10447 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

In Southeast PA(and most if not all the rest of the nation where Comcast has done this), the first 2 DTA boxes are included at no extra charge with your cable package. Starting with the 3rd one, they are $1.99 a month(includes the equipment and no addt'l outlet fee).

More specifically, a subscription to Digital Starter includes one SD cable box (some areas allow a DTA instead) and two DTAs. Starting with the fourth TV, it is $2 per DTA. The reason this is relevant, is that many people didn't have a cable box before the transition, (they were moved from Standard to Digital Starter), so they should realize that three digital cable devices are included.
post #10448 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Umm... ATSC has absolutely nothing to do with cable television....

But you're wrong. I've checked the facts, and ATSC does have a cable standard called 16VSB, and there are a FEW scattered cable companies that use that format. Unless the image is scrambled, you can plug the cable directly into your ATSC television.
Quote:


...the first 2 DTA boxes are included at no extra charge with your cable package.

Not where I live (the PA/MD border). Only the *first* box is free which is why Comcast quoted me $80 (plus tax) to connect four sets. Oh and I still think Comcast should sell me the box. Over five years I will have rented those digital receiver boxes for $5 times 60 == $300. Cheaper to just buy the damn thing directly. (And then when done with it, recoup the cost via selling on ebay.)
.
post #10449 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaveng View Post

But you're wrong. I've checked the facts, and ATSC does have a cable standard called 16VSB, and there are a FEW scattered cable companies that use that format. Unless the image is scrambled, you can plug the cable directly into your ATSC television.

Although it's in the ATSC standards, I don't know of any cableco's that use 16VSB. There were a few cableco that passed ATSC for local HD only, but that was 4-5 years ago.


Quote:


Not where I live (the PA/MD border). Only the *first* box is free which is why Comcast quoted me $80 (plus tax) to connect four sets. Oh and I still think Comcast should sell me the box.

I think you are referring to HD boxes, not the DTA for SD channels. As noted, the first two DTA's are free, and $1.99 a month after that.

Did the $80 included a service call to install the boxes? You can do that yourself and simply have them mail the boxes or pick them up at a local office.

For just local HD, you can buy standalone tuners (Clear QAM) and subscribe to the least expensive cable package.

This approach is no different than what other HDTV providers, like DirecTV, Dish Network, AT&T U-verse are doing. And as already noted, this approach is heavily influenced by content providers.

If you want to buy a box for digital tier HD (ESPN, TNT, USA, etc.) or premium HD (HBO, SHO, Starz), there is always the TiVo HD or Moxi. The required CABLECard rental fee is usually less than $3 per month.
post #10450 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankd View Post

I had Comcast for years and now have FIOS. I don't think FIOS is any better in terms of in the clear channels. Also be aware of their pricing practices I went for the $99/mon deal and my bill is around $140/mon after taxes and 3 boxes (1 HD, 1 SD, 1 DTA, 0 DVR). Picture quality and internet speed are good. I'm not looking to switch back to Comcast; I see it as pick your poison.

Frank

Agreed, there is no advantage AFAICT WRT clear channels. It was just one thing that was a feature that comcast had.

I've moved, have FIOS and canceled my Comcast service 10 minutes ago. I just realized that I had Comcast service since 1995. 15 years. Wow.

I did initially move my Comcast service to the new house. The tech that installed seemed to be a good guy but I wasn't moved in on that day and when I did move in I had to call them 3 times to get my two DTAs and internet activated. Each call was 25 minutes on average and very painful.

Getting FIOS installed was no joy ride, though. They had me scheduled for Friday 8a-5p. I called at 11:30 when they were not here yet and was told "he should be there soon". I called at 4:45 again and after an hour on the phone was finally told they scheduled my install with a tech that was ON VACATION. They made it right the next day and got a guy out here to install it. So yes, I agree it is "pick your poison".

The reasons I switched:
- they could not move my old phone number and could not get me a new 610 number. Verizon at least got me a 610.
- they do not have multiroom DVR although they say they will by July 15 now.
- the activation process was painful and in fact I did not schedule the FIOS install until after I was put through that

Since I have gotten FIOS, I have found:
- There are a more HD channels, a lot more.
- All the movie channels are in HD where with comcast it was only one of each.
- I am getting a few of those movie channels I didn't have with comcast included in the price
- Price is about the same as comcast was with no commitment. I could be $20 lower per month if I locked in for 2 years, but I didn't want to do that, at least not yet.
- The on demand response time for pause, fast rewind and forward is faster
- The DVR and slave HD unit have interfaces that look a lot better. This really does not matter to me but it is just embarrassing for comcast that the guide and DVR interface still looks like an Atari 2600.

Good luck to all you Comcasters. I may be back if they make me an offer I can't refuse.
post #10451 of 10685
OK, I have bin getting flyer from Comcast for about a month now and very day. Sometimes I get twice in the mail. Today I got it four times same flyer as always.
It says
More HD Now up to 100HD Channels Not here on the Garden State System We are about 40 HD with the paying channels.
More On Demand Good luck in getting to work
Faster Internet Not here DSL is Faster believe it or not.
I can not believe they are sending out this to people on the Garden State system. What a bunch of CRAP!
Just my two cents

By the way I was told more HD Channels in June I have not seen any as of now
post #10452 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaveng View Post

Not where I live (the PA/MD border). Only the *first* box is free which is why Comcast quoted me $80 (plus tax) to connect four sets. Oh and I still think Comcast should sell me the box. Over five years I will have rented those digital receiver boxes for $5 times 60 == $300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

I think you are referring to HD boxes, not the DTA for SD channels. As noted, the first two DTA's are free, and $1.99 a month after that.

For $5, it is doubtful he is referring to HD boxes, much more likely to be SD boxes; can't be sure with all the regional pricing variations, of course.
post #10453 of 10685
Got an automated call from Comcast yesterday. The call indicated that analog will be cut on July 6th.
post #10454 of 10685
Why don't cable companies use ATSC-16VSB? It sends about 40 megabit/s per channel. That's just as fast as 256QAM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

I think you are referring to HD boxes, not the DTA for SD channels. As noted, the first two DTA's are free, and $1.99 a month after that.

How convenient that the Comcast clerk never mentioned that when I asked her, "$80 a month for 4 sets? Really??? Can't I get it cheaper?" and she replied no.

Of course it's also possible Comcast prices vary. I used to be able to get "lifeline" locals-only cable for $7 a month but when I moved to PA it jumped to $20. So maybe the Standard Def boxes really are $5 here.
post #10455 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaveng View Post

Why don't cable companies use ATSC-16VSB? It sends about 40 megabit/s per channel. That's just as fast as 256QAM. ...

From Wikipedia:

How it works
Other slower but more rugged forms of VSB include 2VSB, 4VSB, and 8VSB. 16VSB is capable of twice the data capacity of 8VSB; while 8VSB delivers 19.39 Mbit/s (Megabits per second) in a 6-MHz television channel, 16VSB could deliver 38.78 Mbit/s, while making the sacrifice of being more prone to transmission error.

History
While 8VSB is the ATSC digital broadcast modulation format (used in the United States and Canada), 16VSB was planned for cable distribution. 16VSB is about twice as susceptible to noise, therefore less suitable than 8VSB for broadcast, but well suited to the signal-to-noise ratio of hybrid fiber-coax distribution, allowing twice as much programming in a 6-MHz channel.

Technological obsolescence
However, as of 2007, a majority of cable companies have chosen to extend their existing quadrature amplitude modulation-based systems to carry digital television rather than adopting any form of VSB. It is probable that 16VSB has been replaced by ANSI/SCTE 07 2006: Digital Transmission Standard For Cable Television, a cable standard that defines 64QAM and 256QAM transmission for digital cable.

************************************************************ **********************

FWIW, it was recently pointed out in another thread that 8VSB (and therefore probably 16VSB) is still under patent, whereas QAM is, according to the comments in that thread, patent free, and therefore royalties would be a factor in a cable company's selection of modulation format.
post #10456 of 10685
Comcast Philly area subs:

Do you get HDNet and or HDNet Movies?
post #10457 of 10685
No.
post #10458 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post

FWIW, it was recently pointed out in another thread that 8VSB (and therefore probably 16VSB) is still under patent, whereas QAM is, according to the comments in that thread, patent free, and therefore royalties would be a factor in a cable company's selection of modulation format.

As I've been told, the patent issue wasn't a concern for cablecos. The choice of QAM was all about the technical superiority of it for cable use.
post #10459 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

No.

Thx.
post #10460 of 10685
We have HDNet in Reading, PA , which is about 50 miles west of Center City Philadelphia.

It's on Ch 897. Sadly, HDNet Movies did not make it into our "World of More" lineup, however.
post #10461 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

We have HDNet in Reading, PA , which is about 50 miles west of Center City Philadelphia.

It's on Ch 897. Sadly, HDNet Movies did not make it into our "World of More" lineup, however.

Thx.
post #10462 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

We have HDNet in Reading, PA , which is about 50 miles west of Center City Philadelphia.

It's on Ch 897. Sadly, HDNet Movies did not make it into our "World of More" lineup, however.

I forgot to mention, that we also had the 'World of More' HD upgrade here, on the Willow Grove system, but we didn't get either HDNet channel, (like I said, previously). Hearing that the Reading system got it, but we didn't, is perplexing.

Apparently, Comcast don't think highly enough of the HDNet channels, so they decided to have such a weak roll out.

HDNet Movies is more valuable, IMHO, so at least, we aren't that upset that you got HDNet.
post #10463 of 10685
It wasn't even advertised on our "WoM" lineup card. But it showed up on the day of the upgrade.

I had a ticket in with corporate and it took them a few days to put it on the Fancast online listings, so the online DVR scheduler would work with the channel.
post #10464 of 10685
Probably one of those weird regional things(which I don't understand), like WGN-HD not being available in SE PA. Reading is Central PA, still weird why they got it and we didn't down near Philly.
post #10465 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post

It wasn't even advertised on our "WoM" lineup card. But it showed up on the day of the upgrade.

I had a ticket in with corporate and it took them a few days to put it on the Fancast online listings, so the online DVR scheduler would work with the channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Probably one of those weird regional things(which I don't understand), like WGN-HD not being available in SE PA. Reading is Central PA, still weird why they got it and we didn't down near Philly.

It sounds to me, that after they printed the "World of More" HD Cards for the Reading system, they decided to have it be one of the test systems for HDNet.

When we got the HD ch. additions, I checked the channel lineup on the DVR Guide several times, and didn't see it. I'll check the Guide again soon, as I do once in a while, in case they add HD channels w/o notice.
post #10466 of 10685
Using the built-in QAM tuner on my Panny to pickup digital channels from Comcast. All public hi-def channels work except for WTXF 29.1 which is fine for a few days and then I get the dreaded poor signal quality error. I switch over to WTXF in standard def at 29.5 and its fine.

Any suggestions here or other channels to try for picking up WTXF in hi-def? My other television (Sony QAM tuner) can pickup WTXF in hi-def on 25.1 but the Panny doesn't pick it up.
post #10467 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward1980 View Post

Using the built-in QAM tuner on my Panny to pickup digital channels from Comcast. All public hi-def channels work except for WTXF 29.1 which is fine for a few days and then I get the dreaded poor signal quality error. I switch over to WTXF in standard def at 29.5 and its fine.

Any suggestions here or other channels to try for picking up WTXF in hi-def? My other television (Sony QAM tuner) can pickup WTXF in hi-def on 25.1 but the Panny doesn't pick it up.

Not much, other than the obvious: double check your connections are tight, eliminate any splitter(s) if you can, make sure the cable you are using isn't old and doesn't have any knicks/cracks in the shielding, etc.
post #10468 of 10685
I just moved into a building with Comcast MDU contract. I have all of the analog channels from 2-99. I also get local HD's in the clear.

I use a Tivo S3 so I don't have any guide data for QAM channels. I called MDU operations to schedule cable card installation so I can get those local HD channels mapped correctly. However, on the day of install, I got a call that they don't support cable cards for my building.

Of note, they do offer digital tier and HD cable for my building. Is there a techinical limitation? or do I need to speak to a different person? Thanks
post #10469 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGuy View Post

I just moved into a building with Comcast MDU contract. I have all of the analog channels from 2-99. I also get local HD's in the clear.

I use a Tivo S3 so I don't have any guide data for QAM channels. I called MDU operations to schedule cable card installation so I can get those local HD channels mapped correctly. However, on the day of install, I got a call that they don't support cable cards for my building.

Of note, they do offer digital tier and HD cable for my building. Is there a techinical limitation? or do I need to speak to a different person? Thanks

I would speak to a different person. Or, just go to the local Comcast office and pick up the cards yourself.
post #10470 of 10685
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

I would speak to a different person. Or, just go to the local Comcast office and pick up the cards yourself.

I spoke to another person who claimed to have no records of previous conversations or appt schedule. Anyway, she offer to schedule installation for cable cards for later this week.

Each time I spoke to a different person, I was quoted a different price from free to 50. Does anyone who how much it is supposed to cost? Also can I just pick up cable cards from the service center? Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Philadelphia, PA - Comcast