Happy New Year to all the Philly-area digital TV fans. No, don't worry, I haven't been drinking (yet!).
Here are a few comments that might get the discussion started again in this thread.
1. Is it just me, or are channels 3-1 and 57-1 missing their PSIP data today? My digital tuner has remapped them to 26-1 and 32-1 (or whatever the real channel numbers are). Maybe someone needs to reboot something over at Fifth and Market. The signal is still coming in loud and clear, though!
2. The channel 17-1 flicker is still with us. I wonder when they will receive and install their new software? More importantly, I wonder if this will alleviate this problem?
3. I honestly don't understand WHYY. Tonight there was a wonderful "Live from Lincoln Center" broadcast that practically BEGGED to be simulcast on 12-1. OK, it was not an HDTV production, and it was not even broadcast in letter-boxed widescreen format (as indicated in TV Guide). But it WAS a great concert and I would have been very happy to have seen a better picture on 12-1 instead of another night of the HDTV demo loop. For those of you who watched this all-Gershwin concert, the soprano with the gorgeous voice, Indra Thomas, has a Philadelphia connection. She studied at the Academy of the Vocal Arts and just graduated a few years back. Anyone who had the pleasure of hearing her sing live at the AVA knows for sure that Indra will be world famous someday soon.
4. I honestly don't understand WHYY, part 2. After the "Live from Lincoln Center" broadcast, 12-0 showed a rerun of the Great Performances production of "Fosse." Now that WAS produced in HDTV. So why not simulcast THAT program on 12-1 in HDTV instead of the demo loop?
5. Isn't January 1 the start date for broadcast by the Camden-based NJN digital channel (WNJS)? I'm going to try to tune it in tomorrow, although I'll have to turn my antenna around and point it east for a change. I'm not sure whether the channel is 22 or something else. Does anyone else have any details? Also, does anyone know what their plans are for programming (i.e., will it be similar to WHYY and will they have subchannels?)?
Happy New Year to one and all,