or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Los Angeles, CA - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 290

post #8671 of 9442
Anytime you see a channel that starts with V, it usually means Vietnamese which I see it is. Looks like there have been a bunch of new Asian channels lately as the never-ending supply of Chinese channels continues. I thought NEXT-TV would be it since it seems like it is based on a minor channel in Taiwan. At least the one on 31.4 is Cantonese. That is different than the usual Mandarin.

31.3 FILAM
http://www.filamtv.com/index.html

31.4 GDTV (Guangdong TV America)
http://wcetvdigital.com/Ch31_4/

31.10 TSTV
http://www.taishanmedia.com/

44.10 G&E
http://www.gestudio.us/index.php/en
post #8672 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

Anytime you see a channel that starts with V, it usually means Vietnamese which I see it is. Looks like there have been a bunch of new Asian channels lately as the never-ending supply of Chinese channels continues. I thought NEXT-TV would be it since it seems like it is based on a minor channel in Taiwan. At least the one on 31.4 is Cantonese. That is different than the usual Mandarin.

31.3 FILAM
http://www.filamtv.com/index.html

31.4 GDTV (Guangdong TV America)
http://wcetvdigital.com/Ch31_4/

31.10 TSTV
http://www.taishanmedia.com/

44.10 G&E
http://www.gestudio.us/index.php/en

Too bad they're not on satellite and cable TV services.
post #8673 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

Anytime you see a channel that starts with V, it usually means Vietnamese which I see it is. Looks like there have been a bunch of new Asian channels lately as the never-ending supply of Chinese channels continues. I thought NEXT-TV would be it since it seems like it is based on a minor channel in Taiwan. At least the one on 31.4 is Cantonese. That is different than the usual Mandarin.

31.3 FILAM
http://www.filamtv.com/index.html

31.4 GDTV (Guangdong TV America)
http://wcetvdigital.com/Ch31_4/

31.10 TSTV
http://www.taishanmedia.com/

44.10 G&E
http://www.gestudio.us/index.php/en


Yep your right its a new Vietnamese station, funny two days ago I couldn't find zip on it doing a google search but today I found information linking it to kdoc 56 in Anaheim Ca. not too surprising sense Orange county has a large Vietnamese population.
post #8674 of 9442
KDOC used to have Pegasus TV, but I doubt there were that many horse lovers in Orange County. My guess is that for the most part, these station owners do not care who leases or what is on a subchannel. All that matters is that you pay them rent.
post #8675 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

KDOC used to have Pegasus TV, but I doubt there were that many horse lovers in Orange County. My guess is that for the most part, these station owners do not care who leases or what is on a subchannel. All that matters is that you pay them rent.

Haha. That went away fast. I want an ant TV channel. [grin]
post #8676 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

KDOC used to have Pegasus TV, but I doubt there were that many horse lovers in Orange County. My guess is that for the most part, these station owners do not care who leases or what is on a subchannel. All that matters is that you pay them rent.

Yes all $$$$$ is good lol. 56.4 now spanish .Pegasus had zero original programing, it was from all over world and mostly antique I think the newest show I saw was made in 2000 the bulk was 80's and 70's and man it had a accent on repeats. I'm shock it lasted as long as it did because the had zero commercials on it. I've been out a medical leave since January and no cable so when any new English language station pops up I check it out LOL
post #8677 of 9442
Hi!

Would today's cloudy, rainy, and cold weather be a bad day to test out new OTA antennae, indoor (e.g., attic)? Do they affect OTA feeds compared to clear and warmer weather?

Thank you in advance.
post #8678 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1xxx View Post

Yes all $$$$$ is good lol. 56.4 now spanish .Pegasus had zero original programing, it was from all over world and mostly antique I think the newest show I saw was made in 2000 the bulk was 80's and 70's and man it had a accent on repeats. I'm shock it lasted as long as it did because the had zero commercials on it. I've been out a medical leave since January and no cable so when any new English language station pops up I check it out LOL


Programs are expensive, so most likely only a network can afford shows that people would watch. However, almost all of the English ota networks except for music videos are already in the LA area. Hence, somebody will have to introduce new English ota broadcast networks before a subchannel in Socal can become an affiliate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ision_networks
post #8679 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

Programs are expensive, so most likely only a network can afford shows that people would watch. However, almost all of the English ota networks except for music videos are already in the LA area. Hence, somebody will have to introduce new English ota broadcast networks before a subchannel in Socal can become an affiliate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ision_networks

Fantastic and interesting lists!
post #8680 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Hi!

Would today's cloudy, rainy, and cold weather be a bad day to test out new OTA antennae, indoor (e.g., attic)? Do they affect OTA feeds compared to clear and warmer weather?

Thank you in advance.

WET ROOFS will attenuate UHF (not VHF) signals by only 1-2 dB,
while WET TWINLEAD loss could be much higher...

Propagation loss through free space vs (intermittent) rain showers
is basically the SAME....but (mostly VHF) electrostatic noise could
increase plus a few more SPIKES due to lightning activity....

For extreme range LOS as well as 1Edge and 2Edge paths,
radio wave "bending" could be different...perhaps better...or worse.

And propagation via surface-wave "Tropo Duct" modes can be quite
different as the cooler rain degrades the duct (usually over warm water).

So it's hard to predict...but will "probably" be only a small difference...
post #8681 of 9442
Rain diminishes my ability to receive 24.x channels 65 miles away in the San Fernando Valley; which normally come into top quality.

PBS programming that I may miss on channel 50, I DVR on channel 24.1 in HDTV, since DirecTV only carries 24 in SD.
post #8682 of 9442
Or is it just me? Thank you in advance.
post #8683 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Is anyone else noticing KTLA 5.x signal being low?Or is it just me? Thank you in advance.

With all of the Los Angeles subscribers to DirecTV having lost KTLA-DT due to a retransmission consent negotiation with Tribune Broadcasting, more people are receiving the channel through OTA means.

Consequently, there is a cumulative drain on the power output from Mt. Wilson.
post #8684 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Hi!

Would today's cloudy, rainy, and cold weather be a bad day to test out new OTA antennae, indoor (e.g., attic)? Do they affect OTA feeds compared to clear and warmer weather?

Thank you in advance.

Hey there

as far as i know, rain fade doesnt effect terrestrial television signals like it does satellite signals.

stormy conditions can create problems for some or advantages for other depending on your path to the signals. my best reception readings are during wintertime stormy conditions. and the worst time for reception is summer when its sunny every day
post #8685 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

With all of the Los Angeles subscribers to DirecTV having lost KTLA-DT due to a retransmission consent negotiation with Tribune Broadcasting, more people are receiving the channel through OTA means.

Consequently, there is a cumulative drain on the power output from Mt. Wilson.

Eh?
post #8686 of 9442
Now that DirecTV and Tribune Broadcasting have reached an agreement and KTLA-DT is back on DirecTV, DirecTV must have turned off their large "signal-sucking" transducers aimed at the KTLA transmitter/antenna on Mt. Wilson.

Have you noticed a signal increase?
post #8687 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

Now that DirecTV and Tribune Broadcasting have reached an agreement and KTLA-DT is back on DirecTV, DirecTV must have turned off their large "signal-sucking" transducers aimed at the KTLA transmitter/antenna on Mt. Wilson.

Have you noticed a signal increase?

I didn't notice any increases on mine as of a few days ago. I will check again.
post #8688 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

Now that DirecTV and Tribune Broadcasting have reached an agreement and KTLA-DT is back on DirecTV, DirecTV must have turned off their large "signal-sucking" transducers aimed at the KTLA transmitter/antenna on Mt. Wilson.

Have you noticed a signal increase?


I assume you are kidding!

Actually KTLA has always been very strong here, in fact the strongest station of all, according to TVFool. However, for the past two years, I have been getting severe multipath problems on that one station.
post #8689 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post

I assume you are kidding!

Actually KTLA has always been very strong here, in fact the strongest station of all, according to TVFool. However, for the past two years, I have been getting severe multipath problems on that one station.

I am serious. I will check later this Easter weekend. I assume I don't need to rescan for KTLA 5.
post #8690 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

With all of the Los Angeles subscribers to DirecTV having lost KTLA-DT due to a retransmission consent negotiation with Tribune Broadcasting, more people are receiving the channel through OTA means.

Consequently, there is a cumulative drain on the power output from Mt. Wilson.

Really that's a silly the reception of over the air signals is passive and a increase in number of receivers receiving the signal in a specific area has zero impact on the quality or strength of a ota broadcast. I'm not a radio engineer and I know that , how close, direction to and if there any obstacles in the way are going to have more effect on your reception not the number of receivers(i.e. # of TV sets turned on ) in the area. LOL
post #8691 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

With all of the Los Angeles subscribers to DirecTV having lost KTLA-DT due to a retransmission consent negotiation with Tribune Broadcasting, more people are receiving the channel through OTA means.
Consequently, there is a cumulative drain on the power output from Mt. Wilson.

I always thought that if you have several antennas lined up in a row pointing at mount wilson that the very last antenna would get a weak signal since the antennas up front due to their gain and capture area (see Yagi) would leave a shadow behind them thus the last antenna sees very little.
post #8692 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post

I always thought that if you have several antennas lined up in a row pointing at mount wilson that the very last antenna would get a weak signal since the antennas up front due to their gain and capture area (see Yagi) would leave a shadow behind them thus the last antenna sees very little.

[sighs at you guys and will confuse newbies in the future]
post #8693 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Is anyone else noticing KTLA 5.x signal being low? Or is it just me? Thank you in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

With all of the Los Angeles subscribers to DirecTV having lost KTLA-DT due to a retransmission consent negotiation with Tribune Broadcasting, more people are receiving the channel through OTA means.

Consequently, there is a cumulative drain on the power output from Mt. Wilson.

My source is the article "Clear Channel Operation" QST Magazine (the Journal of The Amateur Radio Relay League), April, 1962 edition, at page 40, where it says: "...an antenna picks up the signals radiated by others, and in doing so actually reduces the signal energy of that radiation in space by virtue of the resistive losses of the antenna system."

I still venture that the KTLA-DT OTA signal is much higher, now that DirecTV is carrying KTLA again in Los Angeles...
LL
LL
post #8694 of 9442
You do realize the article was published in April 1962.
post #8695 of 9442
As I recall, it was released on the First of April...

I actually wanted to build the device described later in the article... I was 12!
post #8696 of 9442
Monitoring Times magazine, in the late 1990's, had an article concerning how many receivers would be required to null out a broadcast signal.
post #8697 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

As I recall, it was released on the First of April...

I actually wanted to build the device described later in the article... I was 12!

You should had posted that five days ago. [grin]
post #8698 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post

Monitoring Times magazine, in the late 1990's, had an article concerning how many receivers would be required to null out a broadcast signal.

Was it some fabulously large Dr. Evil-type number?
post #8699 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Loudin View Post

Was it some fabulously large Dr. Evil-type number?

It may have been. The article alluded to a DirectTV dispute and lots of viewers pulling a local broadcast signal out of thin air. [grin] In seriousness, what I remember of the article (a mailbag Q & A, I believe), the theory is justified, but almost unworkable.
post #8700 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

I am serious. I will check later this Easter weekend. I assume I don't need to rescan for KTLA 5.

Hmm, my DTV Pal DVR had no problems with KTLA 5.x, but it showed about 70% signal strength. My computer's old tuner PCI cards (from 2005) did not lock on, so I guess it is an age thing not handling well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Los Angeles, CA - OTA