or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Los Angeles, CA - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 295

post #8821 of 9442
You **DEFINITELY CANNOT*** EVER combine an antenna with cable service. First, you'll have collisions between OTA and cable signals. Second you **WILL** radiate cable signals from your antenna, possibly interfering with aircraft communications. This will lead to a very bad day.
post #8822 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Loudin View Post

You **DEFINITELY CANNOT*** EVER combine an antenna with cable service. First, you'll have collisions between OTA and cable signals. Second you **WILL** radiate cable signals from your antenna, possibly interfering with aircraft communications. This will lead to a very bad day.
So how does one handle having both OTA and cable? Disconnect the coax cable for each one to the TV/recorder?
post #8823 of 9442
Use an A/B switch. Two RadioShack examples: simple, Remote controlled.
post #8824 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Loudin View Post

Use an A/B switch. Two RadioShack examples: simple, Remote controlled.
Thanks. smile.gif
post #8825 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Um, I thought all of their transmitters are on Mt. Wilson?

I know that, but I think its the signal they send to Mt Wilson that impacts that you get bounced off Mt Wilson...
post #8826 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

I know that, but I think its the signal they send to Mt Wilson that impacts that you get bounced off Mt Wilson...

Curious, could you explain this statement a little more? TV stations typically send their studio signals to the transmitter site via microwave Studio-to-Transmitter-Links (STLs) for OTA broadcast. But those links do not operate on the broadcast frequencies viewers receive on, but perhaps somewhere on 2, 7, or 13 GHz BAS microwave bands.

(BAS - Broadcast Auxiliary Services)
post #8827 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Loudin View Post

Um, no. 99% of a TV signals in Los Angeles transmit from Mt. Wilson, NOT from their studio locations.
Warning! That Monoprice antenna has an amplifier. You DO NOT NEED such a thing, especially an exceedingly cheap one that will do nothing but add distortion and noise to your signals. If you have a clear shot to Mt. Wilson, an RCA ANT-751 or a Channel Master 2016 will do fine. Don't try any of the fancy flat antennas - they generally have poor VHF performance.
If you do not have a clear shot to Mt. Wilson, then larger antennas will be needed. The predictions at tvfool.com will tell you if you do (use your EXACT address when using it).

My RS has an Amp, does fine pulls in almost everything. Even ION TV which is 30.1 and in the Red Zone (Medium Directional) according to Antenna Web and TV Fool. I used Antenna Web for its currently location back in 2007...

2012-06-16114235.jpg

Getting 100-102 channels in that location. KOCE-DT4 (50.4) breaks up a little but channels father away like ION TV come in perfect no problems. This antenna works fine in this location with an amp. Installed the USB Tuner and it also breaks up with 50.4 as I recorded DW Journal and it breaks up a little bit. It comes with one of tiny telescope antennas, but picking up UHF even with that is not an issue and it picks up 102 channels when the Cat's Eye with the RS Surf Board picks up about 99-100 channels.

I was under the impression VHF is harder to get as even simple rabbit ears don't get 7,9, 11 and 13 clearly passive or amp. As I said it positioned about level with the fence and right in front of all the foliage. At that point the antenna is four feet off the ground. The Radio Shack is three feet higher at seven feet and does MUCH better. When all the signals where UHF, I got ALL THE CHANNELS and never considered moving it from its current location.

As I said 2.1 doesn't break up but pauses every few minutes. Same with 50.4, I don't think its location so much but maybe design, I believe this antenna is directional, I could be wrong.

I thought about combining the DTV signal and the OTA signal, I know how to get the right frequency combiners not a complete newbie to electronics. Here's my conclusion...

1) I am trying to make a good decision, these post complicate things.

2) Why would a similar designed antenna that's amplified result in worst performance? Its just tuned for Hi-VHF when the Radio Shack isn't and won't pick up a SINGLE VHF channel. What confused me more is as I said a tiny antenna is again strong on UHF pick up at 6-7 feet but terrible at 4 feet and VHF in either location is non-existent with that tiny antenna to pick up Hi-VHF (or any VHF). But even out in the open it didn't pick up VHF, I was in Downtown LA at Occupy LA out in the open, nothing blocking it. All UHF channels came in, VHF? Nothing, tells me this simple antenna is not tuned to get Hi-VHF.

So why wouldn't a similar design work that's tuned to get Hi-VHF with about the same strength on the UHF?

Why wouldn't a non-amp Leaf or similar Winegard work in the same area as the RS, seven feet off the ground when there's where most people put it?

All the local outlets have terrible selection and most of the time outdoor antennas. Walmart has the Philips Outdoor/Indoor designed much like my current antenna for about $40. The Monoprice is $20, similar design.

I just don't know if the Leaf would improve the two UHF channels that are not marginal but not perfect either. I thought about putting it outside but doubt it would improve things much. If its cost more its not worth it.

Current record schedule goes like this -

DTV 8am-9am, DTV 11am-11:30am, DTV 4pm-5pm, OTA 6pm-6:30pm and again at 8pm-8:30pm that's every day M-F

I don't watch MLB anymore, so racing is my main thing this time of year. 95% is not broadcast in America on conventional TV. But Indy Car is on ABC twice in July (along with the ALMS) and I would like to get the 720p feed. F1 on Fox, the next three races are on Fox, the rest on Speed, if I want to watch in HD, I can wait a few hours with the time different between here and Europe and download the BBC or ITV feed, I usually just watch it on Speed, but I can use RSS feeds if I want and its a good back up. When it goes back to being on Speed, I can finally setup the feed like it needs to be. I'm in a flux moment with my HTPC this second ASRock motherboard may get RMA'ed.

So its $20 for the Monoprice or $35 for the Leaf? I don't think mounting it outside would improve things, not enough for the trouble involved. I also talked to a Leaf owner who lives in my exact area and he gets the same amount of channels I do, but all the VHF when I get none and its mounted in a window too.
post #8828 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post

Curious, could you explain this statement a little more? TV stations typically send their studio signals to the transmitter site via microwave Studio-to-Transmitter-Links (STLs) for OTA broadcast. But those links do not operate on the broadcast frequencies viewers receive on, but perhaps somewhere on 2, 7, or 13 GHz BAS microwave bands.
(BAS - Broadcast Auxiliary Services)

Just a guess, its not an educated one. I can look up how TV Signals work but I'm not that deeply interested... smile.gif
post #8829 of 9442
Yes, I'm back with this attempt again in the new 90631/La Habra Heights' house but I have good news? I pretty much gave up, but my father/dad/pa was willing to try another antenna. So he agreed to try that huge and heavy ChannelMaster/CM 4228HD from the local Fry's Electronics store. I didn't help to set up and test this time though since I was too BUSY with computer job/work, other things, and didn't care anymore since my folks refused to put the frakkin' antenna on the roof.

Amazingly, it worked very well! The portable HDTV found about 111 channels including analog and radio ones (12-0, 21-0, 27-0, 30-100 (Airbox), 30-101 (Starz), 30-200 (NFL), 30-209 (GoITV), 30-300 (Telefor), 30-301 (CineMax), 30-302 (Pasions), and 57-0. Weird! Also, this was on a wooden paint canvas as a temporary holder in the house's kitchen facing the small mountain/giant hills blocking Mount/Mt. Wilson's transmitters views! However, KCBS2 was still iffy/not perfect again.

Oh he also had to buy a cheap Winegard Flatwave antenna. Ugh!!! Obviously, it didn't work well. :P I am just more surprised that CM 4228HD worked well.

However, I am still suspicious. That RCA antenna worked well at work first too even in the attic. Then, it went to crap until I tried it in the kitchen and outside in the front of the house. I really wished they would put one of them on the roof already! No way they would leave that huge thing in the kitchen facing the patio window to the north. LOL!

FYI, I added new old photos. into http://zimage.com/~ant/MiCasa2/
Edited by phildaant - 6/22/12 at 11:26pm
post #8830 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Yes, I'm back with this attempt again in the new 90631/La Habra Heights' house but I have good news? I pretty much gave up, but my father/dad/pa was willing to try another antenna. So he agreed to try that huge and heavy ChannelMaster/CM 4228HD from the local Fry's Electronics store. I didn't help to set up and test this time though since I was too BUSY with computer job/work, other things, and didn't care anymore since my folks refused to put the frakkin' antenna on the roof.
Amazingly, it worked very well! The portable HDTV found about 111 channels including analog and radio ones (12-0, 21-0, 27-0, 30-100 (Airbox), 30-101 (Starz), 30-200 (NFL), 30-209 (GoITV), 30-300 (Telefor), 30-301 (CineMax), 30-302 (Pasions), and 57-0. Weird! Also, this was on a wooden paint canvas as a temporary holder in the house's kitchen facing the small mountain/giant hills blocking Mount/Mt. Wilson's transmitters views! However, KCBS2 was still iffy/not perfect again.
Oh he also had to buy a cheap Winegard Flatwave antenna. Ugh!!! Obviously, it didn't work well. :P I am just more surprised that CM 4228HD worked well.
However, I am still suspicious. That RCA antenna worked well at work first too even in the attic. Then, it went to crap until I tried it in the kitchen and outside in the front of the house. I really wished they would put one of them on the roof already! No way they would leave that huge thing in the kitchen facing the patio window to the north. LOL!

You wouldn't happen to have that Winegard Flat Antenna would you? If the price is reasonable, I'll take it, Its the same as the Mohu Leaf basically... You're not close enough to use that antenna. OC is at least 50 miles away from Mount Wilson and generally not face it directly. The Leaf Plus is good up to 70 miles so they say. But the standard one only about 25-30 miles.

These buggers make things confusing, I get 102 channels with a tiny antenna 7f up and 99-100 channels with the Radio Shack "Surf Board" with an amp on it (same location). The tiny antenna has some signal booster software with it however, not sure how that works, but it picks up all the channels I should be getting OTA and a few I shouldn't. Watched Penn 1600 on ION last night and I'm not suppose to get that channel but it comes in strong and clear.

PBS World on 50.4 gives both antennas problems when the other 2 sub channels and main channel don't have that issue, interesting... I watched part of NCIS on KCBS and no problems. All other channels A-OK... Save for the Hi-VHF (7,9,11 and 13)
post #8831 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

You wouldn't happen to have that Winegard Flat Antenna would you? If the price is reasonable, I'll take it, Its the same as the Mohu Leaf basically... You're not close enough to use that antenna. OC is at least 50 miles away from Mount Wilson and generally not face it directly. The Leaf Plus is good up to 70 miles so they say. But the standard one only about 25-30 miles.

These buggers make things confusing, I get 102 channels with a tiny antenna 7f up and 99-100 channels with the Radio Shack "Surf Board" with an amp on it (same location). The tiny antenna has some signal booster software with it however, not sure how that works, but it picks up all the channels I should be getting OTA and a few I shouldn't. Watched Penn 1600 on ION last night and I'm not suppose to get that channel but it comes in strong and clear.
PBS World on 50.4 gives both antennas problems when the other 2 sub channels and main channel don't have that issue, interesting... I watched part of NCIS on KCBS and no problems. All other channels A-OK... Save for the Hi-VHF (7,9,11 and 13)
Nope, I don't but that was a weird antenna design.
post #8832 of 9442
Quote:
The Leaf Plus is good up to 70 miles so they say. But the standard one only about 25-30 miles.

That's pretty much a nonsense claim. Adding a 12 dB amp to a small UHF antenna isn't going to magically double or triple its reception "range".

These small, flat antennas from Leaf, Winegard, and others are tuned for UHF and might perform slightly better than a simple $.99 loop antenna. They all are poor performers on VHF since they're too small electrically to be resonant at those longer wavelengths.

Such small antennas are going to be hit or miss, especially as soon as conditions get challenging.
post #8833 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Amazingly, it worked very well! The portable HDTV found about 111 channels including analog and radio ones (12-0, 21-0, 27-0, 30-100 (Airbox), 30-101 (Starz), 30-200 (NFL), 30-209 (GoITV), 30-300 (Telefor), 30-301 (CineMax), 30-302 (Pasions), and 57-0. Weird! Also, this was on a wooden paint canvas as a temporary holder in the house's kitchen facing the small mountain/giant hills blocking Mount/Mt. Wilson's transmitters views! However, KCBS2 was still iffy/not perfect again.
Why is no one commenting on this? Many (all?) of these are not available OTA that I have ever heard. Looks like an active cable line is connected to the TV or a neighbor has terrible cable leakage and you are picking up their system. In addition, these would be scrambled. /Dan
post #8834 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by danki6x View Post

Why is no one commenting on this? Many (all?) of these are not available OTA that I have ever heard. Looks like an active cable line is connected to the TV or a neighbor has terrible cable leakage and you are picking up their system. In addition, these would be scrambled. /Dan
This was on a portable DTV (ATSC) with the antenna. However, this portable TV has been connected to internal house's coax cables that used to have Dish TV service (previous owners). Maybe left overs from them even though the service is not activated and DTV memorized it (rescan is supposed to clear ALL previous scans)? Previous owners never had cable services either. Just DSL, Dish TV, and Verizon copper phone lines. The channels with -0 show analog feeds because the pictures are very fussy with dots, interferences, etc. It's like analog channel 6 I get at my other home.
post #8835 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by danki6x View Post

Why is no one commenting on this? Many (all?) of these are not available OTA that I have ever heard. Looks like an active cable line is connected to the TV or a neighbor has terrible cable leakage and you are picking up their system. In addition, these would be scrambled. /Dan

Because it's the Airbox service and is encrypted and is known about. smile.gif

- Trip
post #8836 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Because it's the Airbox service and is encrypted and is known about. smile.gif
- Trip
I would like to know more about it. I only found https://www.airboxretailer.com and http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=airbox from my quick Google searches. frown.gif
post #8837 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Yes, I'm back with this attempt again in the new 90631/La Habra Heights' house but I have good news? I pretty much gave up, but my father/dad/pa was willing to try another antenna. So he agreed to try that huge and heavy ChannelMaster/CM 4228HD from the local Fry's Electronics store. I didn't help to set up and test this time though since I was too BUSY with computer job/work, other things, and didn't care anymore since my folks refused to put the frakkin' antenna on the roof.
Amazingly, it worked very well! The portable HDTV found about 111 channels including analog and radio ones (12-0, 21-0, 27-0, 30-100 (Airbox), 30-101 (Starz), 30-200 (NFL), 30-209 (GoITV), 30-300 (Telefor), 30-301 (CineMax), 30-302 (Pasions), and 57-0. Weird! Also, this was on a wooden paint canvas as a temporary holder in the house's kitchen facing the small mountain/giant hills blocking Mount/Mt. Wilson's transmitters views! However, KCBS2 was still iffy/not perfect again.

If it wasn't done, you should be aiming the CM4228 at the top of the small mountain/giant hill, not horizontally but tilted back, for best reception.

The 30-100, -101, -200,-209, -300, -301, -302 etc are meant for paid subscribers, not for us OTA people.
post #8838 of 9442
Airbox is an encrypted MPEG-4 video service that provides those few channels you see for a monthly fee. It's only been launched in Houston so far but is appearing in several markets.

- Trip
post #8839 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Airbox is an encrypted MPEG-4 video service that provides those few channels you see for a monthly fee. It's only been launched in Houston so far but is appearing in several markets.
- Trip
Ah. So that means Airbox's encrypted transmitter is near by? Are there details about their channels and services?
post #8840 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Ah. So that means Airbox's encrypted transmitter is near by? Are there details about their channels and services?

The local ION station is transmitting their signals.

Airbox's home page just says "Coming soon", but a simple Google search using "*.* site:www.airbox.com" will show a lot of their content.
post #8841 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post

The local ION station is transmitting their signals.
Airbox's home page just says "Coming soon", but a simple Google search using "*.* site:www.airbox.com" will show a lot of their content.
Ah thanks. Interesting. I wonder why coming soon now. Sheesh. Bah to subscription. biggrin.gif
post #8842 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Quote:
The Leaf Plus is good up to 70 miles so they say. But the standard one only about 25-30 miles.
That's pretty much a nonsense claim. Adding a 12 dB amp to a small UHF antenna isn't going to magically double or triple its reception "range".
These small, flat antennas from Leaf, Winegard, and others are tuned for UHF and might perform slightly better than a simple $.99 loop antenna. They all are poor performers on VHF since they're too small electrically to be resonant at those longer wavelengths.
Such small antennas are going to be hit or miss, especially as soon as conditions get challenging.

Fine, your critical of these designs. Suggestion? And if you say put one outside, I will not pay for gas but get you three tacos from Dell Taco for $2 and you can put up my outdoor antenna and run wires down to my HTPC.

I never claimed magic about anything, I read this - http://www.hdtvexpert.com/?p=2053 and this - http://www.hdtvexpert.com/?p=2105

1) I have NO PROBLEMS WITH UHF, I get every stinking channel what's so hard to understand about that? 95% or better, the WMC signal meter really isn't a meter but I get all channels. Only 50.4 and 28.4 both PBS Sub-Channels are a slight problem, I will fool with that another time, not critical to my watching.

2) My problem is Hi-VHF which nobody has given a reasonable answer too, suggestion or anything and that's why I stopped posting in this thread to start with. The people that post in this thread the most often are computer/engineering types living in expensive areas of South LA and Orange County. Orange County being some 50-60 miles from Mount Wilson towers. Of course these small indoor antennas don't work, makes plenty of f-in sense to me.

So I have to post a TV Fool Map? I am in LOS (Line of Sight) of Mount Wilson. Before the switch-over I got 2-69. I didn't get 24 and all its sub channels because as I understand it its 60-70 miles away. If I cut down all the branches I can likely see Mount Wilson from my window, look at the picture I posted.

Seems to me much if this is basic common sense which is deeply lacking in America in general. I face the towers, a small to medium antenna should work. But the two antennas that I could put high in the window don't pick up any Hi-VHF. The RCA Rabbit Ears only 4 feet from the floor picks up most channels and the VHF Channels, but Fox and ABC both break up, so does KCAL-9. Unacceptable... So SINCE the switch-over I have been looking for a solution. I am also UNEMPLOYED and don't get UI, so funds are limited, I can't be spending $60 on an antenna when $40 will work or even less. DIY looks like trash I have seen all the designs and even a few books, I would have to buy a solder iron anyway and time is not free. So I rather buy an antenna I can afford.

Both the Leaf and Flatwine can be tapped to the window without a problem. But I was recently reading a review on Amazon about the RCA ANT1650 from a guy here in LA that put his in the window with some suction cups from Home Depot and he picks up all the local major networks no sweat. Those are readily available, I just wasn't sure because again common sense is lacking, people believe spending more on an antenna makes sense....

If I could remember which Radio Shack had the open box Radio Shack Outdoor Antenna that's similar the one I have just larger and I would mount it the same way and they only wanted I think $25-$30 for it (Regularly $50).

I will solve this today because the F1 race is this weekend...
post #8843 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Is this the same for cable services (e.g., TWC) too? If so, then what's the best way to share both?

My TiVo's have both antenna and cable inputs. I only need to use the remote to select the channels on cable or antenna; e.g. 2.1 for KCBS in LA or 4.1 for KNBC in LA. Cable channels are 300 or 1010, etc. FYI.
post #8844 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post

If it wasn't done, you should be aiming the CM4228 at the top of the small mountain/giant hill, not horizontally but tilted back, for best reception.
The 30-100, -101, -200,-209, -300, -301, -302 etc are meant for paid subscribers, not for us OTA people.
Oops, I missed your reply!

The painting canvas holder was already tilted (10? degrees tilted back) at an angular facing back a little as if it was holding a painting. wink.gif How far back should it be tilted? 45 degrees?

http://zimage.com/~ant/MiCasa2/FrontOfHouseGarageFacingNW333degreesOnCompass1.JPG and http://zimage.com/~ant/MiCasa2/FrontOfHouseGarageFacingNW333degreesOnCompass2.JPG of what the front looks like on ground level outside facing Mt. Wilson's direction according to the compass and tests with antennae. Speaking of photographs/photos., I added a few more into http://zimage.com/~ant/MiCasa2/ with illustrations.
Edited by phildaant - 6/22/12 at 11:54pm
post #8845 of 9442
45 degrees is way too much. Start with 10 degrees then, while watching the TVs signal quality, try different tilt backs for best signal quality. Also experiment with different azimuth angles to see if that makes any difference.
post #8846 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

Fine, your critical of these designs. Suggestion? And if you say put one outside, I will not pay for gas but get you three tacos from Dell Taco for $2 and you can put up my outdoor antenna and run wires down to my HTPC...

Not sure where you are; don't see an image posted, but in any event here is MY experience. You said LOS Mt. Wilson, but not the distance...

Rented out guest house in Sherman Oaks 1 mile southwest of intersection of Van Nuys Blvd and Ventura Blvd. Put up a Winegard digital HDTV antenna ($35 Frys) which is both UHF and VHF on the side of the 2nd story of the guest house aimed directly to Mt. Wilson (used to be line of sight until a neighbor rebuild two stories).

Now Tenant gets all of the applicable Mt. Wilson channels, including ABC. Tenant has DirecTV with AM-21 OTA tuner connected (not the hottest front end compared to connecting an antenna directly to ATSC HDTV's).

Your mileage may differ...
post #8847 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post

45 degrees is way too much. Start with 10 degrees then, while watching the TVs signal quality, try different tilt backs for best signal quality. Also experiment with different azimuth angles to see if that makes any difference.
OK and thanks. We might try again tomorrow. So any other tips to try, then please let me know by then.

FYI, the portable ATSC DTV doesn't have a signal measurement for the OTA feed. It is either viewable, no signal, or unstable feed. Zeinth converter box has a real-time signal feed (updated every few seconds) with the small CRT TV, however it is not that portable due its size, weight, and requires a power outlet.
post #8848 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

OK and thanks. We might try again tomorrow. So any other tips to try, then please let me know by then.

FYI, the portable ATSC DTV doesn't have a signal measurement for the OTA feed. It is either viewable, no signal, or unstable feed. Zeinth converter box has a real-time signal feed (updated every few seconds) with the small CRT TV, however it is not that portable due its size, weight, and requires a power outlet.
OK, I am back again. Today's early afternoon hours were rough and somewhat disappointing. frown.gif I think today's soft winds were messing up my OTA feeds there. I can't imagine was hard winds would do! I also don't remember any winds on Wednesday night.

With that new CM 4228HD antenna outside on the non-slope patio in front of the kitchen window instead of the slope grass I did with RCA ANT751 antenna almost a couple months ago, I got scanned channels from over 80 to 104 channels in the same area. I tried tilting a little back/front, changing angles a little, etc. Also, this was about 5' (CM 4228HD's center where the coax cable connector is) above the ground like my height. Note that the garage's left wall, AC unit, cement patio, low wall, and low metal gate door were still around it even far. I wanted to try it on the slope grass area, but the wooden easel (finally figured out what those art painting canvas holders were called) would be unable to hold the heavy and big CM 4228HD antenna (I had a hard time lifting both items separately due to my disabilities and height!). From what I saw, I had some issues with KCBS2, KTLA5, KCAL9, etc. Nuts. Just for kicks, I went to the grass slope front lawn to try RCA ANT751 antenna over my head (5') again and noticed less channels. What the frak? frown.gif

Also, my father/dad/pa was willing to put an antenna outside in front of the kitchen outside mounted under the roof. Ugh! NO! This will not work well because I tested this already by myself with RCA ANT751 antenna near the walls, AC unit, wall, etc.! The best spot is in the open area like above the tiled brick roof! We got into a verbal fight too. He said it is too dangerous up there. Well, get someone who can then even though I could search for someone! Argh!! I gave up and let him try it in the wall corner adjacent to the garage and kitchen's sink window sides. It didn't get all the channels we wanted, and some were unstable. Well, DUH! I knew that already from my previous tests! It looks like he will get a very long coax cable (25'?), from a local Radio Shack store, to connect from the attic with previous owners' coax cable setups with his Dish service, to the front to this mounted antenna (most likely RCA ANT751). frown.gif

Also, I finally took my old 2005's DB2 bowtie antenna. Amazingly, it didn't too bad. It got many channels we wanted, but some were not receivable and stable (e.g., KCET28). I'd rank this one under RCA 751 antenna. This was in the outside corner spot and in the kitchen as well.

Oh another bad day was he dropped the portable DTV. It still mostly works, but the channel+ button (next channel) is busted (mostly doesn't respond OR thinks it wants to rescan for channels which is the right button). Also, he got a big leg cut on the short ladder from the shrubs when fiddling with an antenna on the corner near AC unit, garage, and kitchen sink's window. He also said he is going to return that huge CM antenna to Fry's Electronics (hope they don't ban him like Best Buy did to that one guy a few months ago) too. Um, he was the one who wanted to try it even though I was surprised by its feed results! [sighs] frown.gif
Edited by phildaant - 6/24/12 at 5:34pm
post #8849 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

Not sure where you are; don't see an image posted, but in any event here is MY experience. You said LOS Mt. Wilson, but not the distance...
Rented out guest house in Sherman Oaks 1 mile southwest of intersection of Van Nuys Blvd and Ventura Blvd. Put up a Winegard digital HDTV antenna ($35 Frys) which is both UHF and VHF on the side of the 2nd story of the guest house aimed directly to Mt. Wilson (used to be line of sight until a neighbor rebuild two stories).
Now Tenant gets all of the applicable Mt. Wilson channels, including ABC. Tenant has DirecTV with AM-21 OTA tuner connected (not the hottest front end compared to connecting an antenna directly to ATSC HDTV's).
Your mileage may differ...

2012-06-16114235.jpg

Line of Sight, 27-28 miles both TV Fool, Antenna Web and FCC.

Now I was experimenting with this location. When I turn it side ways, I pick up 7.1 which is the strongest Hi-VHF signal. I also get 9.1 (KCAL) however the signal is weak and I can't even get partial audio. Still no 11 or 13...

So the problem used to not be location, but now it is. Turning it sideways is not practical since I need to close my blinds... Also turning it sideways didn't get 11 and 13 as I mentioned and is weak on 9.1 while pulling 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 solidly in that position.

Putting it outside is not practical either, here's why. We have DirecTV HD and that's KA band, I would need a b-band converter because myself and my father are the only ones connected too it, so no multi-switch required.

Converter cost $150, (2) Diplexers are $16 each.... No budget for that.

My conclusion is that this directional antenna and the one I ordered (but have to cancel in the morning) from Monoprice is the same type, "highly directional" won't solve the problem.

I need an Omni-directional design. I may experiment with one the $30 RCA 1450R usually found around town (Best Buy, Fry's, Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowe's, Sears,....) Mounting it high and near the windows may get all the channels I need. I still think a the Winegard or Mahu Leaf will get the job done as well, window mounted but still omni-directional to get the channels off -axis from the directional antenna.
post #8850 of 9442
The Leaf will tend to receive VHF edge-on rather than broadside. You definitely DON'T want an omni antenna, they're simply an invitation to more trouble. Trying to put a square peg in a round hole doesn't work very well. Use the right antenna and it's like putting the square peg in the square hole and the round peg in the round hole.

For the VHF reception, try a simple set of rabbit ears extended to 28-34 inches placed so the dipoles are horizontal and broadside to the direction towards Mt Wilson. Once you find a suitable location, use a UVSJ to combine it with the Leaf which will be used for UHF only.

Be advised that for Directv systems with a 5-LNB dish, you generally CANNOT diplex an antenna signal onto those cables.

None of the Monoprice antennas are particularly well matched to the Los Angeles market. You'd do best with a small 7-51 antenna whether indoors or outdoors.
Edited by ProjectSHO89 - 6/25/12 at 5:36am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Los Angeles, CA - OTA