or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Los Angeles, CA - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 302

post #9031 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post

KCBS2.2 just appeared. I guess KCBS's HD signal quality will no longer be one of the best. That just leaves KCAL.
Interesting. What was on it? If nothing, then what is supposed to have?
post #9032 of 9442
Thanks much for these updates on channel changes-and-additions. 2.2 seems to be a
duplication. Meanwhile I think KWHY now has a 22.6 with no audio. Still 22.5 has
had a test pattern for `months
post #9033 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Interesting. What was on it? If nothing, then what is supposed to have?

Looks like duplicate of 2-1. Why? Why? Stupid greedy b&st$rds.
post #9034 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Interesting. What was on it? If nothing, then what is supposed to have?

Looks like duplicate of 2-1. Why? Why? Stupid greedy b&st$rds.
That makes no sense. Maybe it is not ready. Is 2.1 worse now? frown.gif
post #9035 of 9442
Right now, 2.2 is just KCBS SD. Soon, 2.2 is supposed to be something called CBS Plus. So far, it is known that this subchannel will be available in LA, New York, and Philadelphia.
post #9036 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

Right now, 2.2 is just KCBS SD. Soon, 2.2 is supposed to be something called CBS Plus. So far, it is known that this subchannel will be available in LA, New York, and Philadelphia.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cbs-corporation-launches-cbs-plus-77291192.html and http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r27525342-2-2-CBSNY-CBS-Plus- mentioned this CBS Plus. It sounds boring and wasteful! frown.gif
Edited by phildaant - 3/13/13 at 12:47am
post #9037 of 9442
I am thinking that the sub-channel will air locally-produced stuff such as news and lifestyle programs along with CBS network extras. The extras would be something related to a CBS show that might be of interest to some but not popular enough for it to be shown on the main channel.
post #9038 of 9442
Is KCBS's 2.2 gone today? My DTVPal DVR is not seeing it even if I rescan.
Edited by phildaant - 3/14/13 at 6:54am
post #9039 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Is KCBS's 2.2 gone today? My DVR is not seeing it even if I rescan.

Still receiving it here in So. LA (strong signal area with a large directional antenna, Winegard HD7697P);

But as been stated, there's really not much to see right now anyway. Merely an SD version of KCBS 2-1 main sub-channel cropped to 4:3.

No PSIP data listed for the sub-channel yet either.
post #9040 of 9442
Not always even running two sub-channels channel 5's picture looks as good (or better than channel2's) and channel 11 comes in a close second. It may just come down to quality of the network feed. The CW's seems quite good.
post #9041 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Is KCBS's 2.2 gone today? My DVR is not seeing it even if I rescan.

Still receiving it here in So. LA (strong signal area with a large directional antenna, Winegard HD7697P);

But as been stated, there's really not much to see right now anyway. Merely an SD version of KCBS 2-1 main sub-channel cropped to 4:3.

No PSIP data listed for the sub-channel yet either.
Weird. I wonder why my DTVPal DVR can't get 2-2.
post #9042 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Weird. I wonder why my DTVPal DVR can't get 2-2.

You might try disconnecting the cable, rescan(clears out the saved channels), then connect the cabel & rescan again
post #9043 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Not always even running two sub-channels channel 5's picture looks as good (or better than channel2's) and channel 11 comes in a close second. It may just come down to quality of the network feed. The CW's seems quite good.

Funny, I thought the same thing the other night, while watching channel 5..
post #9044 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Not always even running two sub-channels channel 5's picture looks as good (or better than channel2's) and channel 11 comes in a close second. It may just come down to quality of the network feed. The CW's seems quite good.

In my experience, the addition of a single, SD subchannel does not result in a very noticeable degradation in picture quality on the HD channel. However, the addition of third SD subchannel does cause, I think, a very definite softening of the HD picture. This was true when channel 5 added a third subchannel. I remember being impressed with the razor sharp pictures on their local newscasts. But after 5.3 was added, they are, IMO, just "meh"-looking.

No, I think the channels with the sharpest looking HD picture are 2 and 9 and possibly 4, but not 5. And remember, channel 11 is only 720p, and not 1080i like the others. Thus it cannot be quite as sharp, although I will admit that it does look very good for 720p. Of course, any station can look lousy if the broadcast material is of poor quality, and there is plenty of that it times.
post #9045 of 9442
720 is progressive and 1080 is interlaced. Apples and oranges. I've seen razor sharp and it doesn't look realistic, most the time it looks like edge enhancement.
post #9046 of 9442
Just to note;

Sub-channel 2-2 has been gone since at least early Saturday morning. So who knows what KCBS/KCAL are up to here ...

A preliminary test or something? confused.gif
post #9047 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post

Just to note;

Sub-channel 2-2 has been gone since at least early Saturday morning. So who knows what KCBS/KCAL are up to here ...

A preliminary test or something? confused.gif
Probably if it was showing duplicate of 2.1...
post #9048 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

720 is progressive and 1080 is interlaced. Apples and oranges. I've seen razor sharp and it doesn't look realistic, most the time it looks like edge enhancement.

Not quite apples and oranges. Essentially, it all comes down to pixels of resolution, especially if there is no rapid motion in the scene. The only information lost in interlaced scanning has to do with changes in the picture over time, i.e., the time element. Bottom line: you cannot resolve anything smaller than a pixel, and the pixels are smaller in a 1920 x 1080 picture than in a 1280 x 720 one, whether interlaced or progressive. Also remember that sets that have 1080 line resolution usually internally convert the 1080i picture to 1080p for display.

While the picture quality on ch. 11 does look nice and crisp, you might notice upon close examination that the edges of objects can look slightly coarser than on the 1080i channels. The same holds for ch. 7.1, although that channel has the additional problem of trying to carry a second HD channel on 7.2, which doesn't help matters..
post #9049 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post

Just to note;

Sub-channel 2-2 has been gone since at least early Saturday morning. So who knows what KCBS/KCAL are up to here ...

A preliminary test or something? confused.gif

I don't think I have seen it on since last Wednesday or Thursday. LOL. Let's hope it stays that way!
post #9050 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post

Just to note;

Sub-channel 2-2 has been gone since at least early Saturday morning. So who knows what KCBS/KCAL are up to here ...

A preliminary test or something? confused.gif

I don't think I have seen it on since last Wednesday or Thursday. LOL. Let's hope it stays that way!
What? You don't want CBS Plus when it finally goes up? [grin]
post #9051 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post

Just to note;

Sub-channel 2-2 has been gone since at least early Saturday morning. So who knows what KCBS/KCAL are up to here ...

A preliminary test or something? confused.gif

If they must run CBS plus I hope it comes back as 9-2 as I don't think news really needs the extra bits. biggrin.gif
post #9052 of 9442
I guess this is what CBS Plus is supposed to look like. Is that just the regular CBS programming in a split screen with news headlines on the side? Hopefully, there is at least some original content.

http://img.lineupui.silicondust.com/snapshots/61/snapshot_40985961.jpg
http://img.lineupui.silicondust.com/snapshots/56/snapshot_40985656.jpg
http://img.lineupui.silicondust.com/snapshots/42/snapshot_40753042.jpg
post #9053 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

I guess this is what CBS Plus is supposed to look like. Is that just the regular CBS programming in a split screen with news headlines on the side? Hopefully, there is at least some original content.

http://img.lineupui.silicondust.com/snapshots/61/snapshot_40985961.jpg
http://img.lineupui.silicondust.com/snapshots/56/snapshot_40985656.jpg
http://img.lineupui.silicondust.com/snapshots/42/snapshot_40753042.jpg
Interesting and boring. frown.gif
post #9054 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Interesting and boring. frown.gif


Boring is right! Also, it looks like an ideal setup for plasma burn-in.
post #9055 of 9442
Just for kicks. I e-mailed KCBS2 station about its 2.2 and just got an e-mail reply/response:

"... We had an issue with the new system that sends the signal to Mt. Wilson for OTA reception, and had to revert to our old system temporarily while we work out the fix. Soon the DOT2 will be flying again.

Eventually, the DOT2 will be a 'news wheel' format with lots of info on News/Weather/Traffic/Sports. Thanks for watching!

...
Director of Operations & Engineering
KCBS/KCAL Television
..."
post #9056 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post

...While the picture quality on ch. 11 does look nice and crisp, you might notice upon close examination that the edges of objects can look slightly coarser than on the 1080i channels. The same holds for ch. 7.1, although that channel has the additional problem of trying to carry a second HD channel on 7.2, which doesn't help matters..
I thought that both FOX and ABC use 720p, not 1080i
post #9057 of 9442
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

I thought that both FOX and ABC use 720p, not 1080i

You thought correctly. And that was exactly what I was saying as well when I was comparing the 720p of ABC and FOX (i.e., chs. 7.1 and 11.1) with the the 1080i of stations like 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 9.1 etc.

On a different note, I see that subchannel 2.2 is back.
post #9058 of 9442
Noticed Retro TV has moved from 8.4 to 8.1 in the last week or so.
_
Neil
post #9059 of 9442
Last night FOX 11.1 disappeared. Did rescan. Their 720P HD signal is now showing as 11.3, and 11.2 is showing same content as SD signal.
post #9060 of 9442
Is Cool TV no more? All I see now is QVC.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Los Angeles, CA - OTA