or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Official AVS Comcast / Cableco Moto 5100 / 6200 Topic!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official AVS Comcast / Cableco Moto 5100 / 6200 Topic! - Page 6

post #151 of 4086
Quote:


Originally posted by gkurcon
Are all of those with the 5100 able to use the VOD feature? This hasn't worked for me at all, even after the firmware upgrade. Everything else works fine. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.

Not all systems have On-Demand up and running yet, check with your local office.

PBS Loop is on Ch. 190 from 7pm - 3am.

I still have Tech TV where I live, but its not in the system I work, and for Comcast to take it off the air especially for G4 I would be pissed. I don't know why they did it in your system. Make a call to the local office, or stop by better yet, and make a formal complaint.
post #152 of 4086
Quote:


Originally posted by miatasm
PBS Loop is on Ch. 190 from 7pm - 3am.

Are there any other "Easter Eggs" out there?
post #153 of 4086
Quote:


Originally posted by ClaudeD
Are there any other "Easter Eggs" out there?

Not that I'm aware of............do you get 190, Claude?
post #154 of 4086
Miatasm,

Unfortunately, there appears to be a big hole between 181 and 200. Comcast, please fill it in
post #155 of 4086
yea, i miss my tech-tv (im in aston, pa)!
G4 Icons show is cool (Lord British!) but thats the only thing worth watching! Get TECH-TV BACK NOW FOR US IN PHILLY AREA (or in aston area!)...
post #156 of 4086
You can find the Motorola marketing spew PDF here:

http://www.gi.com/digital/dct5100.pdf

I have AT&T cable in Seattle. They currently offer HBO and Showtime with locals, Discovery and others coming online in January 03 (or so they say). I will not go into HD video quality here other than to say the signal AT&T is providing looks to be bit for bit the same as the master I can receive with my big dish and HD decoder.

Previous HD box experience: Sony HDD100 DirecTV unit and Motorola HDD-200 sidecar with a DSR-920 C-Band (big dish) receiver.

Features:

This is the bare bones DCT5100. It has USB and Ethernet onboard as well as a DOCSIS cable modem, none of which are used in my case. No 1394 ports on this unit although the platform supports it.

The guide software on this is the awful, nasty abortion known as Gemstar TVGudie. People with DSR920 (4DTV) C-Band boxes complain about that guide. It is bliss compared to the POS that is Gemstar. The Guide data provided by AT&T has robust information in it but the presentation is awful, with more screen real estate dedicated to SPAM than to guide data.

The box has SPDIF and COAX digital out. It converts audio for all analog cable feeds to digital as well. This is a nice touch.

The box defaults to 480i on the YCbCr output. You need to enter the service menu to switch it to 1080i (or 720p or 480p). You do this by turning the power off on the box and pressing the
button on the box. Use the cursor keys to move around and set the output mode.

The GUI/Guide is displayed only on the YCbCr output if you set the output to anything other than 480i. This is actually preferable, more on that later.

The box down-converts HD and sends it out the SVID and composite ports and simultaneously spews HD on the YCbCr ports. It up or down coverts as needed depending on the connection.

Use with a ReplayTV: great once I got the right IR code set selected on the Replay. Because the DCT5100 only displays the GUI/Guide on the YCbCr ports if you set the output to anything other than 480i you end up with a perfect mate for an outboard DVR. When used with a Replay (or Tivo) you get NO GRAPHICS from the box on the SVID port as long as the YCbCr output is set to something higher than 480i. With a bit of tweaking of the IR code timing I have this box tuning fast enough such that it's a seamless extension of the ReplayTV and because the box does a very nice job down-converting HD content I can timeshift from that source. It's nowhere near as good as being able to record actual HD, but it's much better than regular analog or digital SDTV.

Gripes and observations:

The only complaint I have about this cable box, other than the atrocious guide is that the black level on the YCbCr output is too low. But, oddly, SDTV content up-converted *by the box* looks OK. Only stuff that comes from an actual HD feed like HBO-HD or Sho-HD is too dark. Even the up-converts broadcast by HBO-HD are too dark. This leads me to believe that they calibrated the HD output of this box by feeding it an SD signal and calibrating against the up-conversion performed by the box. Motorola's HDD-200 side-car has the exact same problem while the Sony HDD-100, my HTPC and a buddies Mitsubishi DirecTV HD box do not have this problem. Motorola needs to address this, nobody else has this problem and it makes Motorola look bad in the eyes of the HT crowd, who will be the first to adopt this box.

Quality of the de-interlacing and scaling performed by this box: mediocre. Very few people on this forum will use this feature, but I thought I'd throw it out there. It slaps black bars on the side of the 4:3 content in a 16:9 window so if you use it you better have a DLP or LCD display otherwise you're going to get burn in. I cannot see anyone with a modern HD display using this feature. Now if the de-interlace was provided Faroudja DCDi or Silicon Image SIL50X then I think I'd be using it.

On the plus side this box is FAST. The UI is fast, the guide pops up fast (not that you'd ever want to use it). It tunes both analog and digital cable feeds very quickly.

If they got a different guide and fixed the black level output on this box it'd be near perfect.
post #157 of 4086
No PBS Demo Loop on 190 for me either...
post #158 of 4086
Quote:


Originally posted by ianken
The box down-converts HD and sends it out the SVID and composite ports and simultaneously spews HD on the YCbCr ports. It up or down coverts as needed depending on the connection.

Use with a ReplayTV: great once I got the right IR code set selected on the Replay. Because the DCT5100 only displays the GUI/Guide on the YCbCr ports if you set the output to anything other than 480i you end up with a perfect mate for an outboard DVR. When used with a Replay (or Tivo) you get NO GRAPHICS from the box on the SVID port as long as the YCbCr output is set to something higher than 480i. With a bit of tweaking of the IR code timing I have this box tuning fast enough such that it's a seamless extension of the ReplayTV and because the box does a very nice job down-converting HD content I can timeshift from that source. It's nowhere near as good as being able to record actual HD, but it's much better than regular analog or digital SDTV.

I also am on AT&T in Seattle and just got my 5100 on Friday. In my case however, I get no output on RF/Composite/SVideo if anything but 480i is selected (and SVideo is unuseably bad on my unit anyhow). I am hoping we get the firmware update that allows 4:3 override settings since I have a 4:3 set and Tivo. I think I will ask for a replacement box to address my Svideo problem and perhaps that will fix the downconvert issue as well (although knowledge about this box seems in short supply at AT&T)
post #159 of 4086
I don't believe ATT/Comcast in the Seattle area is set up yet to transmit 5100 firmware updates. They just started receiving 5100s in volume last week. I got two 5100s installed last week here in North Bend. Both of them have 2.14 firmware, which as I understand from this thread, is the old version.

But in my case, it's not a problem that S-video displays no guide when the box is set to progressive. In fact, it's a plus. I have the S-video going into my ReplayTV, and I MUCH prefer the Replay Guide to the AT&T guide. It always has 90 minutes visible (vs 30 min), has 12-13 days of programming (vs 1-2), shows both the detail text and the program grid simultaneously, etc. Since I usually watch the 5100 thru the ReplayTV, I want no trace of the AT&T guide to show up at all.

Only when I want to watch something in HD do I view the 5100 component output directly on my TV. Then of course I have to use the AT&T guide in that case.

There's still plenty of other bugs I'd like fixed - like the wildly different sound output levels between analog & digital channels, for one.
post #160 of 4086
got the software update in Montgomery Cty MD today. My 4*3 properly displays HD without sidebars now. Congrats to COMCAST
post #161 of 4086
Quote:


Originally posted by ianken
You can find the Motorola marketing spew PDF here:

http://www.gi.com/digital/dct5100.pdf

Use with a ReplayTV: great once I got the right IR code set selected on the Replay. Because the DCT5100 only displays the GUI/Guide on the YCbCr ports if you set the output to anything other than 480i you end up with a perfect mate for an outboard DVR. When used with a Replay (or Tivo) you get NO GRAPHICS from the box on the SVID port as long as the YCbCr output is set to something higher than 480i. With a bit of tweaking of the IR code timing I have this box tuning fast enough such that it's a seamless extension of the ReplayTV and because the box does a very nice job down-converting HD content I can timeshift from that source. It's nowhere near as good as being able to record actual HD, but it's much better than regular analog or digital SDTV.

Would you like to share your IR code and tweaks with us??? I had a hell of a time getting mine to work at ALL with a Replay 4504!

Thanks!
post #162 of 4086
For me, the combination that works *every time* with my ReplayTV 4xxx & the DCT5100 is this:

choose codeset 0476
Go into IR fine-tuning, and set Minimum Digits to Send to "3".
post #163 of 4086
Just got my dct5100 in the philadelphia area this week, and my thoughts are in agreement with many above. The analog channels are not as good as with my dct2000, especially using the component video inputs.

The S-Video is a bit better, but does require that I change inputs on the tv when switching back and forth between HD and analog channels. I was hoping to avoid that with the new box, so hopefully the next firmware upgrade will fix the analog/component video quality. I think the S-video input is close, but not as good as my prior cable box on analog channels as well.

I must say it is a nice change to have the picture pop up immediately when you change channel, and to actually get menus on the hd channels.

I too, wish there was firewire built in, since I was considering purchasing a D-VHS recorder, but decided to buy an S-VHS one for the time being.....(maybe they will drop in price significantly by the time we get our firewire connection).
post #164 of 4086
Hey, by the way.......I am sure I know the answer already, but I am forced to ask.........

Has anybody found any discrete on/off codes for this cable box? I assume motorola did not include these as usual (although, again, what we have now is a HUGE improvement over the HD sidecar that had NO remote functions at all, not even a power toggle.)

I am using an HTM MX-500, and this cable box is the only thing remaining without discrete on and discrete off commands.
post #165 of 4086
Quote:


PBS Loop is on Ch. 190 from 7pm - 3am.

We dont have that here in West Orange...should we?

Mr. Mayor
post #166 of 4086
Quote:


Originally posted by miatasm
I can tell you what the "optimize stereo volume" means. The 5100 (as well as the 2000) have the ability to control the volume of the output of the box. This is used for OLD TV's that don't have a remote control for Volume. It basically works like a an attenuator for the outputs of the box. The "optimize stereo volume" setting sets that volume setting to the "normal" setting. By normal I mean what the boxes volume would be if that feature wasn't avail., a "pass-through" if you will. Its called Volume Lock. You can see what I mean if you use your remote from Comcast and do the following keystorkes:

Press & Hold Setup til' the light flashes
Then Press 9 - 9 - 3
Then Press the "Cable" Button
Now if you press Volume Up or Down
You should notice that there is now a volume bar that is at the top of your screen and at a certain point it says "Stereo" or "Best Stereo" that point is the "optimized stereo volume". Kind of hard to explain in words but I think you get the idea.
cjh

miatasm
Being the curious type, I tried this, and it works. But now I need to get out of this "mode". When I now press the volume button on the remote I get the volume bar on the top of the screen, not my TV volume. How do I get out of this? cheers

Mr. Mayor
post #167 of 4086
Quote:


Originally posted by Mr. Mayor
miatasm
Being the curious type, I tried this, and it works. But now I need to get out of this "mode". When I now press the volume button on the remote I get the volume bar on the top of the screen, not my TV volume. How do I get out of this? cheers

Mr. Mayor

Do the first part again but instead of pressing "cable" press whichever equipment you are using to control the volume "TV" for TV vol. or "Audio" for a receiver.
post #168 of 4086
Anyone know if there is any way to change the brightness of the led's on the front panel? Most of my other equipment (dvd player, receiver) allow you to dim their leds.
post #169 of 4086
Quote:


Originally posted by miatasm

HDTV darkness: I have to agree with my tests on this and my understanding is that generally HD feeds are darker to enable more use of calibration functions, and it also provides a warmer/truer/more precise picture. I don't have any technical findings to back this up, other than the picture from my OTA Samsung Decoder looks identical to my 5100's HD output. These are viewed through the same input on the television so the video settings are the same. Which tells me that the 5100 & Comcast aren't modifying the signal what-so-ever. Can anyone Back me up on this, hypothesis?

First, A/B compares between the signal AT&T is sending down the wire here in Seattle to the master signal from HBO (via my big dish and HDD200) tells me they are sending the exact same bits. The are exactly the same. Kudos to AT&T for not bowing to temptation and downcoverting/recompressing the signal.

I tried to watch "Harry Potter" on HBO the other night. In the forrest when they meet the centaur none of the background was visible. It was BLACK. I had to pump up the black level about 5-7 nothces on my Pioneer Pro520 in order to get the shadow detail right.

I also had(just canceled) DirecTV HD via a Sony HDD-100 POS and it did NOT have this problem.

Oddly I do see the same problem on my HDD-200 that I use with my big dish.

I do NOT see the problem with my HTPC running at 540p where shadow detail on titles like LOTR, 5th Element and Dark City are stunning.

If anything Mot needs to add a power user menu where we can tweak black level, gamma and color balance.

My TV was calibrated by Eliab of AVICAL. It's not broken nor is it miscalibrated. The default settings at center track D6500 and black level for my viewing environment very well. Only HD widgets from Motorola have this dark video problem, in my experience. I have not tried a Samsung box.
post #170 of 4086
Quote:


Originally posted by Tachy
Anyone know if there is any way to change the brightness of the led's on the front panel? Most of my other equipment (dvd player, receiver) allow you to dim their leds.

No there is not, and this is the first request I heard for this, I will send this along.
post #171 of 4086
Quote:


Originally posted by jimre
I don't believe ATT/Comcast in the Seattle area is set up yet to transmit 5100 firmware updates. They just started receiving 5100s in volume last week. I got two 5100s installed last week here in North Bend. Both of them have 2.14 firmware, which as I understand from this thread, is the old version.

But in my case, it's not a problem that S-video displays no guide when the box is set to progressive. In fact, it's a plus. I have the S-video going into my ReplayTV, and I MUCH prefer the Replay Guide to the AT&T guide. It always has 90 minutes visible (vs 30 min), has 12-13 days of programming (vs 1-2), shows both the detail text and the program grid simultaneously, etc. Since I usually watch the 5100 thru the ReplayTV, I want no trace of the AT&T guide to show up at all.

Only when I want to watch something in HD do I view the 5100 component output directly on my TV. Then of course I have to use the AT&T guide in that case.

Jim, it sounds like we have a similar setup - I'd like to use the s-video for my Tivo (way better than the Guide) and just use the component for watching the HD programming. Can you confirm that the analog outputs should be sending out a downconverted signal if the component output is set to HD? (in my case, 1080i). Thanks for any info you can give. If my box isn't performing as expected I really need to have it replaced.
post #172 of 4086
Quote:


Originally posted by Vinylsaurus
Jim, it sounds like we have a similar setup - I'd like to use the s-video for my Tivo (way better than the Guide) and just use the component for watching the HD programming. Can you confirm that the analog outputs should be sending out a downconverted signal if the component output is set to HD? (in my case, 1080i). Thanks for any info you can give. If my box isn't performing as expected I really need to have it replaced.

Yes - with my 5100 set to 1080i, the S-video port simultaneously outputs a down-res version of what you see on the Component port. Main difference is there's no internal guide, graphics, or menus on the S-video port when the 5100 is set to any progressive mode.
post #173 of 4086
Quote:



Press & Hold Setup til' the light flashes
Then Press 9 - 9 - 3
Then Press the "Cable" Button
.............

Do the first part again but instead of pressing "cable" press whichever equipment you are using to control the volume "TV" for TV vol. or "Audio" for a receiver.

Why is this feature capability hidden under an obscure response to a question on an unrelated topic. It is one of the major upgrades I requested, perhaps it was there all along?

It should have been SHOUTED to all!!!!

Seriously - I tried it and no more switching back and forth between audio and cable to listen anymore. The slight downside is that when TV alone is selected the COMCAST remote still controls the receiver volume. I can live with that an search for another remote in those rare instances when I want to listen to the TV's speakers.

post #174 of 4086
A few comments after using this STB for a couple of weeks:

- Periodically my box grinds to a halt. Changing channels will take a minute or more, with the menu redrawing step by step and eventually the picture and even later, maybe, sound. The only way to recover is to unplug (not simply turn-off) the box.

- The black level on HD is too low. I have a well calibrated PJ, and when comparing the same DVD the blacks are just crushed away on the 5100. It would be *so* nice for the basic (black level, white level, & color) pq adjustments to be made available.

- The box never recognizes the first time I try to direct enter a 3-digit channel. Always have to do it twice.

- I really wish there was an option to display the guide over the composite/s-video outs. I'd like to hook-up a small LCD to use for browsing the music channels (I don't want to have to power on the projector just for this.) I admit my use for it is obscure, but I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons why it would be nice to have the option.
post #175 of 4086
Quote:


Originally posted by joe12south
A few comments after using this STB for a couple of weeks:
- The black level on HD is too low. I have a well calibrated PJ, and when comparing the same DVD the blacks are just crushed away on the 5100. It would be *so* nice for the basic (black level, white level, & color) pq adjustments to be made available.

I think most of us are seeing this problem. Best solution is a menu option to tweak it. It's either a black level or gamma issue. Not sure which. The MOtorola HDD-200 HD side car has trhe same problem.

Tried to watch "Oceans 11" this afternoon. Same problem. I had to crank the black leve a bout 5 notches to get it to look OK.

I prefer to switch everthing through my Pioneer 49tx, but as it is now I'll need to run a dedicated cable for the DCT to the TV. I'd prefer not to so that.
post #176 of 4086
Quote:


Originally posted by RalphArch
Why is this feature capability hidden under an obscure response to a question on an unrelated topic. It is one of the major upgrades I requested, perhaps it was there all along?

It should have been SHOUTED to all!!!!

Seriously - I tried it and no more switching back and forth between audio and cable to listen anymore. The slight downside is that when TV alone is selected the COMCAST remote still controls the receiver volume. I can live with that an search for another remote in those rare instances when I want to listen to the TV's speakers.


I agree with you Ralph this is a great easter egg . On a side note we just got the firmware ( 00 ) update in Montgomery county MD.
post #177 of 4086
Quote:


Originally posted by joe12south
- I really wish there was an option to display the guide over the composite/s-video outs. I'd like to hook-up a small LCD to use for browsing the music channels (I don't want to have to power on the projector just for this.) I admit my use for it is obscure, but I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons why it would be nice to have the option.

Once your cable company updates the box' software/firmware, you'll be able to do it. The software version is 51.00-1132. There will be a setting labeled "4:3 OVERRIDE". If that is set to 480i, the guide is available on the composite/s-video outputs.

I usually watch non-HD channels over the composite/s-video outputs, so I need the guide on those outputs. Plus, if one wants to transmit the signal to other rooms, it is a must to have the guide. So like you said, there are plenty of reasons to have the option.
post #178 of 4086
The video on the analog fees is shifted to the left a bit. Not a bitg deal, but I did not some chopped off text on the left that was no present on my TVs internal tuner. The TVs overscan is dialed in at 5% and geometry is perfect. It's not the TV.

And : on the analog channels the blacks seem to be kinda washed out, but this could be cable. It's been a long time since I've had cable.

Finally : When the screen is dark and viwing via the SVID output I see several faint, evenly spaced, very thin vertical lines down the screen. I checked and re-checked my cables. I only see this on analog channels when the screen goes black. Has anyone else seen this?
post #179 of 4086
Alan,
How does the "4:3 OVERRIDE" setting affect the component signal? For that output I need the behavior to remain the same ... everything converted to 1080i, and for 4:3 material to be centered (black pillars.)
post #180 of 4086
Quote:


Originally posted by joe12south
Alan,
How does the "4:3 OVERRIDE" setting affect the component signal? For that output I need the behavior to remain the same ... everything converted to 1080i, and for 4:3 material to be centered (black pillars.)

The 4:3 Override is exactly that a 4:3 override.

With this function set to 480i the box outputs a 480i signal through the Component Outputs when the box is tuned to anything but an HD channel.

With this function set to 480p the box outputs a 480p signal through the Component Outputs when the box is tuned to anything but an HD channel.

With this function set to OFF the box outputs a 1080i signal all the time through the Component Outputs.

So in your case you would turn this feature off to maintain the bars on the sides.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Technical
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Official AVS Comcast / Cableco Moto 5100 / 6200 Topic!