or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV - Page 14

post #391 of 1416
Thread Starter 
I know it is a stretch for this board but there appears to be an HD Radio company in our area. Here is the link to the press release I stumbled across.

http://www.hdradiomagazine.com
post #392 of 1416
The Masters used a mix of HD and SD cameras so that is why some shots may not look as good to you. I believe most of the back nine tee boxes and greens have HD with fairway cameras being SD.

Did anyone switch to analog KELO 11 yesterday and notice they were doing storm crawlers there, but not on the Masters KELO-HD 11.1. That is great progress if they will continue that practice.
post #393 of 1416
Quote:


Originally posted by mgoblue55
Wife finally got fed up and called KSFY. Last week my wife was complaining because Desparate Housewives wasn't in HD. Then when it started this week the same way, she finally got fed up and called them. 5 minutes later it switched to HD.

Is this someone sleeping at the station? Is there a manual step that someone forgot? Anyway the wife was happy again, and so I was happy again.

There is a switch that is manually thrown. Not being a TV station engr., I do not know the logistics of this. I have called both KELO and KSFY numerous times for that very reason. Call the news hotline is the best way to get them to answer. Ask if the show is in HD and if master control has thrown the switch.

I always checking the AVS HD Programming Forum first to make sure I am not crying wolf if you will. Seems to be a problem with the beginning of sporting events or if the first show in Primetime is SD.
post #394 of 1416
After reading here that KDLT was now broadcasting in HD I checked it out on saturday and watched some SNL. It was in 4:3 hd but HD none the less. To my suprise I looked at my reciever and it was getting a 5.1 audio signal. I guess that they are the last local to go HD but Ill take it if they are going to give us 5.1

Another note. Watching the masters this weekend has reminded me why I spent all this money on HD TV. It was fantastic!!! Some of the camera shots from behind the tee box were awesome. You could actually see the ball long enough to see the type of shots that they were hitting.
post #395 of 1416
Any other info on KDLT-DT? I'm guessing low power and not passing HD...but the 5.1 audio has me intrigued.
post #396 of 1416
KDLT

No such thing as 4:3 HD - it must be just good old digital, but not HD digital.

As for the signal strength, I can receive their analog signal in Sioux City, but not the digital - gotta be pretty low power like Sioux City's NBC digital signal.
post #397 of 1416
I guess I should clarify. The picture of SNL was definately HD but I think inetead of ESPN's grey bars on the side they were still Black. The sound was definately 5.1. I am going on just what I saw. I have not contacted anyone to verify this information. I have not watched it since then to further confirm anything.
post #398 of 1416
I agree that the clarity of KDLT has improved over the 480 SD they were sending us, My receiver also shows 1080i and DD EX audio (5.1).

But everything is in 4:3. I stayed up for Jay Leno last night and it was in 4:3. I have an HD file someone sent me from the Leno show and the file is 16:9 and more defined.

I'm thinking at this point they are upverting their SD signal. Their 10:00 news broadcast looked much better than the KSFY or KELO, but I think KELO's local stuff looks pretty bad anyway

mullin -- Husker,

I'll check again, but I believe my power signal was as high as it has been when KDLT was SD. Not as strong as the analog signal though. I believe I posted a coverage map back a page or two. The map probably shows the absolute borders of coverage and in acutuallity the range is probably less.
post #399 of 1416
It looks better because it is no longer stretched to fill the screen. It was digital before, but they changed the aspect to improve picture quality.
post #400 of 1416
Quote:


Originally posted by wxman
It looks better because it is no longer stretched to fill the screen. It was digital before, but they changed the aspect to improve picture quality.

They also were not broadcasting in 1080i before though, were they? I never watch enough NBC to be sure. I know I could change the ratio so it was not stretched before, but the quality looks better now.

May have to email them.
post #401 of 1416
When I went to kDLT site to email them, found this coverage map.
LL
post #402 of 1416
KDLT will be providing an HD signal from our Rowena tower in July or August 2005. We have ordered the equipment ($2.2 million). Thanks for your inquiry.

Regards:

Gary Bolton
General Manager


Our plans are to start carring the NBC HD signal later this year. We are trying to have it by Nov. 1. We are now only upconverting the signal.

Don Sturzenbecher
Chief Engineer
KDLT-TV
3600 S. Westport Ave.
Sioux Falls, SD 57106
dsturz@kdlt.com
605-361-5555
695-361-7017--fax
post #403 of 1416
Not sure where all they are offering this....

Midco is offering half price on their bundled services if you now receive satellite service and are willing to switch. They have stopped in a couple times to talk to me and I am now trying it. Have both D* and Midco on the same setup so I can compare.

I am getting Internet, one phone line, and Digital cable with one movie channel and all HD channels they offer (Digital Essentials Trio). The offer given me was 6 months for 52.50 + taxes. Will be $105/mo after than. Also need to rent digital box for $10/mo to get digital and HD channels. Box is a dual tuner DVR that holds 12 hours of HD programming.

No commitment term so I can drop when I want. Thought I would compare services as the $52.50 is less than I was paying for Midco Internet and Qwest phone together now.

Dish Buy-Back is what the rep called it when he called in the order.
post #404 of 1416
KTIV Reception Problems

This last week I have been receiving terrible reception of the KTIV digital signal. I live in south morningside. I called KTIV engineering and they indicated no problem on their end. I have also had bad reception for KPTH, but KCAU and KSIN come in ok. Is anyone else experiencing poor reception?
post #405 of 1416
KTIV Problems:

I live on top of a hill on the north side of Sioux City - almost in sight of the 2,000 foot tower. I can no longer receive a digital signal from KTIV, just the analog.

The problem is that their digital antenna is very low - no where near the top of the tower, and more importantly, they are only putting an extremely weak signal - about 1/60th of the strength of their analog signal. ANY leaves between you and their tower will absorb and scatter their lame signal.

In talking with KTIV general manager Dave Madsen, I found out that they have no plans on changing anything until 2006. They are waiting to make the necessary improvements to coordinate with updates to KCAU and KPTH which share their tower. It's all about money: a minority of their viewers care about digital at this time, and they don't want to spend the money to reach those viewers.

Strange logic, when you consider that the HD and digital viewers should be the most desirable demographic to their advertisers.

Stranger still, KTIV will not make an agreement with CableOne to put their HD signal on local cable.

As an advertiser on KTIV and a digital viewer I find that extremely unfortunate.
post #406 of 1416
Quote:


Originally posted by BVfan
Not sure where all they are offering this....

Midco is offering half price on their bundled services if you now receive satellite service and are willing to switch. They have stopped in a couple times to talk to me and I am now trying it. Have both D* and Midco on the same setup so I can compare.

I am getting Internet, one phone line, and Digital cable with one movie channel and all HD channels they offer (Digital Essentials Trio). The offer given me was 6 months for 52.50 + taxes. Will be $105/mo after than. Also need to rent digital box for $10/mo to get digital and HD channels. Box is a dual tuner DVR that holds 12 hours of HD programming.

No commitment term so I can drop when I want. Thought I would compare services as the $52.50 is less than I was paying for Midco Internet and Qwest phone together now.

Dish Buy-Back is what the rep called it when he called in the order.

How is Midco's HD compared to D*? I'vd been with D* since 1996 and their HD since last July. I really don't have any complaints other than the outragous price D* is asking for NFL ST HD this coming season. How do you like Midco's DVR? I have an HD Tivo and have had DTivo for the past four years, I love it and have had a chance to use a friends Midco DVR, it really doesn't compare to the Tivo, but I'm sure I could save quite a bit getting service from Midco, I already have their phone and internet.
post #407 of 1416
Quote:


Originally posted by mhaider
How is Midco's HD compared to D*? I'vd been with D* since 1996 and their HD since last July. I really don't have any complaints other than the outragous price D* is asking for NFL ST HD this coming season. How do you like Midco's DVR? I have an HD Tivo and have had DTivo for the past four years, I love it and have had a chance to use a friends Midco DVR, it really doesn't compare to the Tivo, but I'm sure I could save quite a bit getting service from Midco, I already have their phone and internet.

I have Midco's HD DVR. No complaints, but I've never done Tivo so not sure what I'm missing. Probably the one annoying feature about Midco's DVR is that it is doesn't have a 30-second forward. You can still fast forward through the commercials, but like the VCR you still have to watch the commercials. Overall the HD recordings look good to me on the DVR. The DVR will also convert up as an option the 480i to 1080i or 720P, but I've found that my Sony's Built-In tuner does a better job of upconverting.

I miss the full digital of Direct-TV (Midco's basic-like channells are still analog), but it's nice to have the HDTV locals available through cable (no problem getting FOX in HD).
post #408 of 1416
Quote:
Originally posted by BryanSD
I have Midco's HD DVR. No complaints, but I've never done Tivo so not sure what I'm missing. Probably the one annoying feature about Midco's DVR is that it is doesn't have a 30-second forward. You can still fast forward through the commercials, but like the VCR you still have to watch the commercials. Overall the HD recordings look good to me on the DVR. The DVR will also convert up as an option the 480i to 1080i or 720P, but I've found that my Sony's Built-In tuner does a better job of upconverting.

I miss the full digital of Direct-TV (Midco's basic-like channells are still analog), but it's nice to have the HDTV locals available through cable (no problem getting FOX in HD).

How would you rate the D* HD PQ to Midco's?

I was at a buddies house last night and played around with their Midco DVR, I personally like the Tivo better, but it's what I've been used to for the past four years, plus I have double the HD record time, but if I'd never had a DVR before the Moto would be great, my friends sure love it. My friend has my old Toshiba 50" RPTV that I had before I bought my Sony LCD last year so it's a TV I'm used to watching, I'd say the Midco analog is worse than D*, but the digital and HD channels look great and that's through a compsite video connection, I'd love to see what the HD channels look like on my TV.
post #409 of 1416
Now that I have had both for a few weeks now. Family likes convenience of the Midco DVR and having basic cable on all TVs in the house. PVR probably not as nice as TiVo from what I have heard, but is easy to use.

PQ looks the same to me on my 51" Sony RP. Except I do agree that D* STV looks a lttle better than Midco basic. It should as Midco basic is analog. I plan to do a comparision on the projector soon. A 104" picture should show up any difference in the HD pix.

D* has more HD channels for the price. I'm not getting the extra HD channels so am only comparing locals. I thought HD channels were part of pkg, but guess not. Did get Starz HD as part of the pkg., but it doesn't show many of it's movies in HD so not sure it would be worth it at full price.

I have three D* recievers with the ability to run feed from any receiver to any TV in the house, which we have found to be an advantage to D* as we can run things you can not get on basic cable to any TV without getting a digital cable box for each TV. Things like regional sports, Sunday Ticket, and anything that would be "digital" on Midco.

Midco TV part of their package is really not much less once you pay for a DVR and HD plus any premiums you want.

If I had to make a decision today, I'd probably stay with D*
post #410 of 1416
Quote:


Originally posted by BVfan
D* has more HD channels for the price. I'm not getting the extra HD channels so am only comparing locals. I thought HD channels were part of pkg, but guess not.

I'm sure the HD package channels are supposed to be part of the $9.00 DVR charge. I have two co-workers and two friends that have the Midco DVR and that's how it works for them. One thing I've noticed, Watertown is about $20.00/month cheaper on a Midco package than SF, I think that might be because we have Prairiewave too. Whenever there's a Midco ad in the Argus, the same deal in the Watertown PO is that much cheaper. Give Midco a call and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the input about Midco HD, I've thought about having my friends record some HD than bring the DVR to my house to check it out on my TV, but I don't plan on leaving D* right now, I like what I'm getting and I want to see what D* has to offer when they get the next two new sats up to go along with the one launched in April.
post #411 of 1416
Quote:


Originally posted by BryanSD
I have Midco's HD DVR. No complaints, but I've never done Tivo so not sure what I'm missing. Probably the one annoying feature about Midco's DVR is that it is doesn't have a 30-second forward. You can still fast forward through the commercials, but like the VCR you still have to watch the commercials. Overall the HD recordings look good to me on the DVR. The DVR will also convert up as an option the 480i to 1080i or 720P, but I've found that my Sony's Built-In tuner does a better job of upconverting.

I miss the full digital of Direct-TV (Midco's basic-like channells are still analog), but it's nice to have the HDTV locals available through cable (no problem getting FOX in HD).

There is a 30-sec skip and a 15-sec rewind, it just isn't programed into the remote that midco gives out. If you have a programmable remote, you can program the codes in and map it to a button. I have it all set up on my Harmony.

I have never used Tivo either. That being said, I love the Midco DVR. The one thing I like the most is the dual tuner. You can record one show and watch another. Or record two different channels at the same time while watching a previously recorded show. I use this often. My NBC viewing has gone way down since getting it, because they are not in HD yet. I find myself watching mostly the HD channels. If I could get a dual tuner HD DVR from Dish or DirecTV for a decent price I might consider switching. However, as of right now this is keeping me happy. (And more importantly it is keeping my wife happy)
post #412 of 1416
I am in Rapid City, but I have Midcontinent Communications. The remote has unused A, B, and C buttons. It would be ideal to program the 30-second skip, an A/B switch, and the DVR mute to control for the auto mute. I found the codes in a thread for another company, but it did not work with the remote that I was given from Midcontinent Communications. If anyone can figure out how to program them, let me know.

I am in an apartment that has free basic cable. I originally just got the DVR for $16 a month and had the locals for free. I then called and asked about getting the HD channels only, and the CSR said it was $10 to add digital cable and the HD channels. I still think it is a lot because I don't find much value in the digital channels and it is only 4 HD channels here.
post #413 of 1416
Quote:


Originally posted by Feddie
I am in Rapid City, but I have Midcontinent Communications. The remote has unused A, B, and C buttons. It would be ideal to program the 30-second skip, an A/B switch, and the DVR mute to control for the auto mute. I found the codes in a thread for another company, but it did not work with the remote that I was given from Midcontinent Communications. If anyone can figure out how to program them, let me know.

I am in an apartment that has free basic cable. I originally just got the DVR for $16 a month and had the locals for free. I then called and asked about getting the HD channels only, and the CSR said it was $10 to add digital cable and the HD channels. I still think it is a lot because I don't find much value in the digital channels and it is only 4 HD channels here.

If you haven't looked through this thread you might find some ideas on programming the remote, I noticed some when I scanned through it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=464986
post #414 of 1416
Yes, I looked at that thread. They have the codes that are needed, but I don't know how to get this remote to accept the codes to be mapped to a button. Lately I have been having a problem with shows saying they have recorded, but they didn't. When I stop watching something recorded, the screen is normally blank when it should be showing current shows on whatever channel it is on. Has anyone else experienced this?
post #415 of 1416
I just talked to a CSR that said there was an upgrade fix for the freeze, but it might not have loaded correctly. Thanks for letting customers know that there was an upgrade. I lost several season finales thanks to the great company. The CSR lady was a very rude as well. I hope that Black Hills Fibercom puts them out of business. The only thing they have of value is the Fighting Sioux Sports Network.
post #416 of 1416
My brother-in-law has the same box from Comcast in Omaha. He has complained of programs not recording when they should have. I have not experienced this myself. I have not experienced any technical issues with this box at all (knock on wood).
post #417 of 1416
Got my first bill and guess I should have realized this...
There are $11.96 in telephone only taxes and fees so your final savings on just a phone would be about $3.00 as compared to Qwest. Qwest taxes are $9.94

Also the billed me for $68.97 +$4.50 DVR instead of the $52.50 + $9 DVR I agreed to. Am calling about this as I have a written and signed order form.

Lightning strike last Sat and I loss all services. Got junky basic cable back in about 4 hours, but did not get any digitial cable, internet, or phone working until Monday when they came out and fixed.

DVR retained all information through the ordeal though. I also have had no problems with the recording aspect. Have everything running through a conditioner and surge protector so maybe that helps.

Still need to hook up to the BIG screen to see if I can tell a difference between D* and Midco.
post #418 of 1416
Did anyone else have audio problems during Primetime HDTV on KSFY on 6/3? It sounded faded, I had to crank the volume up a bit to hear, but when it went to comercial, it sounded fine. It only did it on this channel and only in HD. I anyone else had the problem let me know.
post #419 of 1416
I did not listen on 6/3, but in general the HD audio on KSFY is lower when compared to KELO or KTTW. It seems like it is certain programs though.
post #420 of 1416
I noticed for the first game of the NBA finals, the HD feed from KSFY ABC was uninterrupted by weather warnings like the analog was. And yes I have to turn up the volume for KSFY-DT during regular programming.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV