or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Montgomery, AL - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Montgomery, AL - HDTV - Page 203

post #6061 of 6620
Also, any model after the VIP622 with DVR's will accept OTA antenna connection, the 922 has two OTA tuners and two Dish tuners, so you can record 4 different channels at the same time....just be aware that the on-screen-guide will only show "Digital Service" for Fox-20 until the dispute is ended...but you can watch OK, and if you know the correct dates/times you can set up a manual timer to record programming from Fox-20...just can't "point and click" using the program guide.
post #6062 of 6620
You said any receiver after the VIP622. I assume that you meant to include the 622?
Actually I believe any VIP receiver has OTA tuner capability.
post #6063 of 6620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Smith View Post

You said any receiver after the VIP622. I assume that you meant to include the 622?
Actually I believe any VIP receiver has OTA tuner capability.

That's true, as you can see from my signature, I have the 622 with my OTA connected to it.

For football fanatics, like me, I would look at one of the VIP receivers that has two OTA tuners (and 2 Dish tuners) so you can record 3 other games while watching one game live...or any combination...

When my 622 bites the dust that's what I'll upgrade with...although right now I can record 2 games and watch a 3rd live, or any combination of that.

One of the main reasons I keep my OTA antenna pointed at the Montgomery stations (I get Birmingham via Dish) is because during the NFL season, many times, Fox-20 and/or CBS-8 will carry different games than Fox-6 or CBS-42...gives me a better choice of what games to watch or record...
post #6064 of 6620
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

cobolisdead

You can on the VIP722. What model will you be getting?

I don't know, I was just going to use whatever they bring.
post #6065 of 6620
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post

I don't know, I was just going to use whatever they bring.

If you're into recording lots of programs, you might want to call to confirm that they're bringing a 922. I record a lot and if I didn't also have a Tivo, I'd get the 922 with the extra OTA tuner modules. Having everything in one place is much better than the juggling DVRs I have to go through. On the flip side, whenever Dish has a falling out with a local, I can still get the complete program guide through the TIVO. No system is perfect.
post #6066 of 6620
Once I switch 100% over to Directv I sure am going to miss the PIP and being able to toggle from one tuner to the other without loosing the cache (Rewind Feature). (green Button)
post #6067 of 6620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Smith View Post

Once I switch 100% over to Directv I sure am going to miss the PIP and being able to toggle from one tuner to the other without loosing the cache (Rewind Feature). (green Button)

I'm pretty sure that you are correct about losing PIP, because I am not aware of that feature on DirecTV. However, they added fully functioning dual tuner capabilities about a year ago. I believe it is called "Quick Play" or something like that. While watching a live show, you press the down arrow on the remote, and it activates the toggle function between the tuners. What you were watching on the first tuner continues caching from whenever you started watching it, and then the second tuner starts caching whenever you tune to your channel. You can toggle back and forth between tuners then without resetting the cache by pressing the down arrow to switch tuners.
post #6068 of 6620
Cool thanks Eddie!

I got some notifications on my directv box last night that you can browse youtube now as well as some new features on the info button.

Youtube is available under smart search.
post #6069 of 6620
I got the HR24 installed. Wow it's fast!
Major improvement over the HR21.
post #6070 of 6620
Called Dish yesterday to cancel my service. The forwarded me to the "Loyalty" department. I told her that I was moving and was totally treed out in my new location. She said well we can send a technician out to see if its possible.
I told her I used to be an installer and knew for a fact it was totally obstructed by trees. From that point on her whole attitude changed. It was very cold from that point forward.
post #6071 of 6620
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAKA-DT 8 View Post
I'm sure that if the ADS gave it to you for free we would have a different landscape.
Last I looked, all channels (cable ones too) run about the same amount of commercials in an hour. The rate charged to AD(S for the big 4 is a steal. Pennies for the most popular fare ADS offers. Rarely have I seen more than one or two cable channels ever show up in a rating book, and when they do the rating is essentially nothing.
(ADS-Alternative--to over the air--Delivery Services).
I have a question, Why is WAKA the odd man out on tower location? I'm in Holtville and I get all the broadcast channels but 1 because they all have towers in same general location, why does WAKA locate theirs in opposite direction although they serve the same market?

I like WAKA, but can't see spending alot of money for rotator/equipment for just 1 channel. Ever thought of moving the antenna in proximity of all the rest?
post #6072 of 6620
[quote=FrugalFreak;20582391]I have a question, Why is WAKA the odd man out on tower location? I'm in Holtville and I get all the broadcast channels but 1 because they all have towers in same general location, why does WAKA locate theirs in opposite direction although they serve the same market?

Sounds like you've got something else going on.

If you haven't already done this, go to tvfool.com and find out how the transmitters align for your location.

Depending on your antenna, your angle of reception might be a little tight to pick up all stations at the same time. Options would include changing antennas or putting up a dual antenna system.
post #6073 of 6620
The Montgomery stations are all over the place, so I'm not sure how you can call WAKA the "odd man out." WAKA is very nearby to WNCF. WSFA and WCOV are on a tower in a different spot. WAIQ and WMCF are at a different place. WBMM and WIYC at a different place. WBIH at still a different place.

Given how much more powerful WAKA is than WNCF, it's surprising that you're not getting WAKA.

- Trip
post #6074 of 6620
[quote=JimP;20582538]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFreak View Post

I have a question, Why is WAKA the odd man out on tower location? I'm in Holtville and I get all the broadcast channels but 1 because they all have towers in same general location, why does WAKA locate theirs in opposite direction although they serve the same market?

Sounds like you've got something else going on.

If you haven't already done this, go to tvfool.com and find out how the transmitters align for your location.

Depending on your antenna, your angle of reception might be a little tight to pick up all stations at the same time. Options would include changing antennas or putting up a dual antenna system.

Thanks I have a winegaurd HD7084P and it is rated up to 60 miles I think. WSFA, WCOV, APT(PBS), Frazer, wmcf(Trinity), are all in southeast direction and WAKA is Southwest. I have it pointed in Southeast because many is better than 1.
post #6075 of 6620
post #6076 of 6620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

The Montgomery stations are all over the place, so I'm not sure how you can call WAKA the "odd man out." WAKA is very nearby to WNCF. WSFA and WCOV are on a tower in a different spot. WAIQ and WMCF are at a different place. WBMM and WIYC at a different place. WBIH at still a different place.

Given how much more powerful WAKA is than WNCF, it's surprising that you're not getting WAKA.

- Trip

I'll have to guess that you are NOT getting WNCF on 32-1 but rather on 22-2.
22 is in the same general direction as 12 and 20 from Holtville. If you are receiving 12, you pretty much have to be dead-aimed at them (considering their relatively low power) to get them. So as others have said, a dual antenna array (one at 8/32 the other at 12/20) would solve your issue.

Many markets are laid out for several transmitter locations. With digital, multiple antennas are pretty much required in that case. Remember, stores around here sold the "Montgomery Special" beginning in 1954. It was nothing more than 3 antennas; one each for ABC, CBS, and NBC. At the time, NBC was the "odd man out" down at Mt. Carmel... but ABC and CBS--although in town--were 4 miles apart. So most residents still were looking in 3 different directions.
post #6077 of 6620
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAKA-DT 8 View Post

I'll have to guess that you are NOT getting WNCF on 32-1 but rather on 22-2.
22 is in the same general direction as 12 and 20 from Holtville. If you are receiving 12, you pretty much have to be dead-aimed at them (considering their relatively low power) to get them. So as others have said, a dual antenna array (one at 8/32 the other at 12/20) would solve your issue.

Many markets are laid out for several transmitter locations. With digital, multiple antennas are pretty much required in that case. Remember, stores around here sold the "Montgomery Special" beginning in 1954. It was nothing more than 3 antennas; one each for ABC, CBS, and NBC. At the time, NBC was the "odd man out" down at Mt. Carmel... but ABC and CBS--although in town--were 4 miles apart. So most residents still were looking in 3 different directions.

I was under the impression there was not a full-time ABC affil in Montgomery until 1964. Previous to that, there was only 12 and 20.
post #6078 of 6620
When did the local pbs start transmitting? Seems that they've been around for a long time.
post #6079 of 6620
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

When did the local pbs start transmitting? Seems that they've been around for a long time.

December 1962, according to Wikipedia.
post #6080 of 6620
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post

I was under the impression there was not a full-time ABC affil in Montgomery until 1964. Previous to that, there was only 12 and 20.

Sorry. I could have been clearer. The original special consisted of a broadband VHF and a broadband (single bow tie) UHF. For Montgomery
residents, the VHF aiming toward channel 12 also allowed Columbus to be received to a degree off the side (channel 4 which later became channel 3). About 1960 channel 9 in Columbus came on, sharing a new taller tower with channel 3. Reliablity of Columbus improved quite a bit. Channel 8 also came on in Selma, which was available on the other "side" of the Montgomery Special VHF broadband. Of course these out of town stations were received
as a marginal bonus only and not a design of the Special. Once channel 32
came on for good (2nd time-1964) the broadband Special design was changed to a 3 cut-to-channel yagi configuration due to problems associated with adding that third antenna. The 20 and 32 yagis were about a foot long and 4 or 5 inches wide...pretty compact! You can still see examples of each of these Specials around; mainly in the older parts of town. They were so compact they have been able to weather the elements pretty well even after they were disconnected beginning in the mid 70's when cable came to town.
post #6081 of 6620
I remember watching Storer cable string the cable as I sat in class at Cloverdale. That would have been 76.
post #6082 of 6620
M wife called and said that WCOV is back on the air on Dish Network.
post #6083 of 6620
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

M wife called and said that WCOV is back on the air on Dish Network.

....and the program guide is back for us Dish OTA people for WCOV.
post #6084 of 6620
Too late. I ditched Dish.
Love Directv and being able to network my DVRs so its a seamless list from one room to the other.
post #6085 of 6620
Dish Network users:

I have a Dish 625 DVR (SD) if anyone wants it free.
I bought it so Dish doesn't want it back. I'm going to throw it away if nobody wants it.
post #6086 of 6620
Seriuosly, free!?

I'd love to have it then!

Do you know what I'd have to do to get it activate on my Dish account?
post #6087 of 6620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Smith View Post

Dish Network users:

I have a Dish 625 DVR (SD) if anyone wants it free.
I bought it so Dish doesn't want it back. I'm going to throw it away if nobody wants it.

Can you take the HDD out and put it in your computer?
post #6088 of 6620
Definitely enjoyed having Fox on Dish again.
post #6089 of 6620
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
Seriuosly, free!?

I'd love to have it then!

Do you know what I'd have to do to get it activate on my Dish account?

Sorry I missed this.
Dish would have to send you a smart card is all. They made me send the smart card back.
post #6090 of 6620
Well, if you are still looking to get rid of it, I'd be interested.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Montgomery, AL - HDTV