or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Boston, MA - Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boston, MA - Comcast - Page 320  

post #9571 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

I have been complaining of this for 2 years now to no avail. Most people here are content with this as long as they get the game in HD. It does bother some people more than others and I happen to be one of those. To me it just makes no sense. Someone said they think it's the super slo-mo camera and they don't have one of these in HD yet. But I believe if it is, then don't use it for regular close ups and only for the slo-mo replay. Thats something I could live with which would of course result in the game being displayed mostly in HD the way it should be. Sorry but thats my rant for the day.

I sent an e-mail to NESN last year asking about this as well as asking about why and if an HD camera was in the future plans.

Never got a reply.
post #9572 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by happystick View Post

Is anyone watching the As vs Yankees game on Fox? I'm just curious if this is supposed to be in HD. Close ups look ok, but field shots look like SD

The regular season Fox games are in Widescreen SD (480p) format, not HD. They don't feel the 3 or 4 HD trucks they would need (since the games are regional) are worth it. So no HD until the playoffs for Fox (although I guess they could have one national game at some point0.

Rich N.
post #9573 of 11032
Yea, I've noticed the camera problem for a couple of years as well. They are such a jackpot you would think it would be fixed by now. Oh well, I guess we can only hope for better service in the future.

I had sent an email to them about DD sound, and no response either (it was actually quite polite).

Is the consensus that other services (RCN, FiOS, DiSH) do not get DD on NESNHD? (I'd really like to blame this on Comcast downgrading the Audio to stereo!)

They are right down the street in Watertown now, I should just go down there and put in my 2 cents
post #9574 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM22681 View Post

Is the consensus that other services (RCN, FiOS, DiSH) do not get DD on NESNHD? (I'd really like to blame this on Comcast downgrading the Audio to stereo!)

Video bitrate can be shaped and compressed fairly easily. But one thing that most companies cannot do very easily is modify audio. For Comcast to modify the audio coming from NESN they would have to complete demultiplex the NESN HD signal, run it through some kind of audio processor, then reencode it using an expensive HD encoder. All that to possibly save 100k on the bitrate. Comcast (and nearly every cable, fiber, DVB company out there does not modify audio without doing a full reencode of the service. Doubly so for HD since its an expensive (and inefficient) proposition.
post #9575 of 11032
I noticed this week that my QAM tuner is receiving NESN-HD/INHD2 but without any audio. Anyone else notice this?
post #9576 of 11032
Mine, too.

At least it was a week ago.
post #9577 of 11032
I'm moving to a new Somerville address and am having Comcast activated (I currently have RCN). I also have a new Panasonic plasma TV. Since its QAM tuner can get the local HD channels from Comcast (but *not* their multiplex channels, I gather? -- seems strange), and since there are only a handful of additional HD channels on Comcast (most of which I don't watch anyway), I don't think I want to pay extra for an HD STB.

So what non-HD STBs have decent video outputs for an HDTV? All the models I know of only have composite video -- no good. There is a DVR model, the Moto 3080, that has S-video output, but that isn't much better. I'm not even sure it's available here yet anyway. I don't need another DVR (I have a standalone model), but I'll take one if it has the right outputs.

So are there any non-HD STBs with component, DVI, or HDMI options? (My TV has only one RF input, which I'd be using for the QAM tuner.)
post #9578 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashford View Post

I'm moving to a new Somerville address and am having Comcast activated (I currently have RCN). I also have a new Panasonic plasma TV. Since its QAM tuner can get the local HD channels from Comcast (but *not* their multiplex channels, I gather? -- seems strange), and since there are only a handful of additional HD channels on Comcast (most of which I don't watch anyway), I don't think I want to pay extra for an HD STB.

So what non-HD STBs have decent video outputs for an HDTV? All the models I know of only have composite video -- no good. There is a DVR model, the Moto 3080, that has S-video output, but that isn't much better. I'm not even sure it's available here yet anyway. I don't need another DVR (I have a standalone model), but I'll take one if it has the right outputs.

So are there any non-HD STBs with component, DVI, or HDMI options? (My TV has only one RF input, which I'd be using for the QAM tuner.)


Non-HD STB would not have any HD connections.
post #9579 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Supreme View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashford View Post

So are there any non-HD STBs with component, DVI, or HDMI options?.

Non-HD STB would not have any HD connections.

Assuming that's the case, what about S-video, then? I don't know what STBs Comcast carries. (And component video is not strictly an HD connection, as it does have non-HD applications.)
post #9580 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashford View Post

Assuming that's the case, what about S-video, then? I don't know what STBs Comcast carries.


All boxes have s-video output except for the the dct-700, the small digital box.
post #9581 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashford View Post

I'm moving to a new Somerville address and am having Comcast activated (I currently have RCN). I also have a new Panasonic plasma TV. Since its QAM tuner can get the local HD channels from Comcast (but *not* their multiplex channels, I gather? -- seems strange), and since there are only a handful of additional HD channels on Comcast (most of which I don't watch anyway), I don't think I want to pay extra for an HD STB.

So what non-HD STBs have decent video outputs for an HDTV? All the models I know of only have composite video -- no good. There is a DVR model, the Moto 3080, that has S-video output, but that isn't much better. I'm not even sure it's available here yet anyway. I don't need another DVR (I have a standalone model), but I'll take one if it has the right outputs.

So are there any non-HD STBs with component, DVI, or HDMI options? (My TV has only one RF input, which I'd be using for the QAM tuner.)

I live in Cambridge, and assuming the policies are similar, I pay all of $5 or $6 for the box. I get HDMI/DVI, component, s-video and composite all at once. Also have optical and RCA digital audio.

I'm not sure the quality of SD via component is any better than via s-video, but I can tell you the sound is much better on all channels, HD or SD, via digital outs.

I have the DVR option, mostly because there is no other HD recording solution today and it gives me two tuners, all for $10 extra a month. As soon as the Tivo 3 looks viable, I'll probably switch to that.
post #9582 of 11032
Hey, I'm about to upgrade to the HD package through Comcast and I'm wondering what the deal is with NESN-HD? Is it it's own channel or do they just play the games on INHD? Or do they pretty much just play NESN-HD on the INHD channel??
post #9583 of 11032
Rumor has it its going to become Full Time Real Soon Now (TM). And there is already a lively debate here about whether NESN HD will follow ESPN 2 HD's path of becoming an Expanded Basic service. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
post #9584 of 11032
There is no HD package per say, you just need a digital package and a box/cablecard to get it. There is no extra charge that is 'HD' That being said, if you don't have extended basic, its possible you won't get NESNHD when/if it gets its own channel.
post #9585 of 11032
It will certainly be expanded only, just wait until they remove NESN from people that don't have boxes leeching cable off of other paying subscribers

My guess is they will follow Boston Comcast's path in the suburbs where you can't get NESN without a cable box either. Notice how it is on 195 and channel 13 in Boston. I think they will be removing channel 13 over the next few months.
post #9586 of 11032
Hazel Mae in HD .............. yes.
post #9587 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopsHD View Post

Rumor has it its going to become Full Time Real Soon Now (TM). And there is already a lively debate here about whether NESN HD will follow ESPN 2 HD's path of becoming an Expanded Basic service. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

As long as NESN HD is still NOT on Direct TV and or dish network there is some logic in not requiring extended basic.
post #9588 of 11032
NESN-HD is now on 851 and MTV-HD is on 828
post #9589 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmar5 View Post

NESN-HD is now on 851 and MTV-HD is on 828

Confirmed in Chelmsford, MA
post #9590 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewsgrp View Post

Confirmed in Chelmsford, MA

Same in Lawrence,but bothy still not authorized on non Standard settings

My cable bill will be going uop $40,but i may end up shutting down the phone

Update: They tried hitting the box wbut with no luck. A Saturday 3-5 appointment takes the filter off.
post #9591 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmar5 View Post

NESN-HD is now on 851 and MTV-HD is on 828


Same in Arlington, MA.
post #9592 of 11032
Are you sure 828 is MTV HD because so far (the last 4 videos) have been country music videos.
post #9593 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavv123 View Post

Are you sure 828 is MTV HD because so far (the last 4 videos) have been country music videos.

It's a mix of music from MTV, VH1 & CMT.
post #9594 of 11032
Do both channels require expanded-basic-tier?
post #9595 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post

Do both channels require expanded-basic-tier?

It is beginning to look that way. I could see it for nESN but not MHD.
post #9596 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post

Do both channels require expanded-basic-tier?

I have now 17 HD channels without the premiums with expanded basic. Maybe L Supreme can let us know if it is required or if we still have bandwidth left for more channels to be added.
post #9597 of 11032
It makes sense for MHD; other than the basic MTV channel, aren't all the others in the expanded tier anyway? Basic access gives you access to the basics, but MHD is an extra above basic.
post #9598 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Beveridge View Post

It makes sense for MHD; other than the basic MTV channel, aren't all the others in the expanded tier anyway? Basic access gives you access to the basics, but MHD is an extra above basic.

MHD is a totally different channel from MTV. If they are choosing to put it in enchanced basic then that is one thing. They canNOT take the HD locals away from Limited basic.
post #9599 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post

Do both channels require expanded-basic-tier?

NESNHD requires expanded, MHD requires both expanded & classic.
post #9600 of 11032
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Supreme View Post

NESNHD requires expanded, MHD requires both expanded & classic.

Thanks L Supreme, your input is always appreciated. I guess this means if your used to watching the Sox on INHD2 and don't have Expanded Basic, you will not be able to recieve it anymore. Good thing I got it ( Expanded ) back a couple of months ago.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Boston, MA - Comcast