1. Don sends screens because everytime anyone puts his name or company in print it sells product. Advertising 101. Plus Don is a great guy, and sells great products. Potential customers should know this. Current customers already do.
2. I dont pimp high gain. I pimp enjoyable foot lamberts. Anything between 20-50 is generally enjoyable to most. These new wimpy DLPs that only put out 300 lumens NEED a high gain screen to maintain its size and brightness. People rave about Plasmas and they are in the 70+ foot lambert arena
3. Black is not a function of the screen. Black is the absence of light. You either need to eliminate ambient light and/or get a higher contrast projector. Relative black level? it's relative...usually to your viewing environment. Painting your walls black to block any secondary reflections to your screen will do more for lowering your black level than ANY screen.
I'm not a black level freak. I simply will not compromise a good image to go one notch lower in absolute black level(it's an endless fight). After reviewing 100's of materials I've always preferred to higher gain ones. Why? Brightness.
It has many benefits!
1. Higher brightness images simply have more realistic colors, whites and detail. (try wearing your sunglasses around inside your house for a while)
2. Higher gain screens offer higher brightness and thus your eyes adjust thus increasing your perceived contrast. Make your whites whiter and those greys look even blacker. Perceived increase in contrast! More punch more exciting image, and more accurate colors and whites. Makes me happy
Try these illusions and see if you agreehttp://www.colorcube.com/illusions/scindctn.htmhttp://www.cut-the-knot.org/Curricul...Contrast.shtml
If you dont agree with this you can try to make your screen even darker and see how you like that. That should be a lot of fun...
shoot for about .5 gain. then try .2 gain.