or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Grand Junction, CO - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grand Junction, CO - HDTV - Page 14

post #391 of 409
So KREX is up on 27 now. A week late for watching the Superbowl. Bresnan is just fine for HD and the locals. I really do not miss my old Direct TV. Sad though that I was forced to change from a system I was perfectly happy with except for the CBS problem.

On another front, I got a call from the FCC regarding my local reception. Told them it was all about KREX and CBS, no other station problems. Too bad they did not call before KREX got it together (at least from what others are saying here), now local management can say everything is fixed. Local management was the problem from the beginning -- unresponsive and dishonest about their original problems. I would have been perfectly happy if they had said "we have a bad-low power setup but are working on it". Instead they act like it is the consumer's problem. Clearly, with all the of the actions I took, costing me time and money, the problem was all theirs.

Glad to hear others have local reception, now you can watch the full spectrum of CBS silliness in the realm of Survivor and Amazing Race.
post #392 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleithaus View Post

So KREX is up on 27 now. A week late for watching the Superbowl. Bresnan is just fine for HD and the locals. I really do not miss my old Direct TV. Sad though that I was forced to change from a system I was perfectly happy with except for the CBS problem.

On another front, I got a call from the FCC regarding my local reception. Told them it was all about KREX and CBS, no other station problems. Too bad they did not call before KREX got it together (at least from what others are saying here), now local management can say everything is fixed. Local management was the problem from the beginning -- unresponsive and dishonest about their original problems. I would have been perfectly happy if they had said "we have a bad-low power setup but are working on it". Instead they act like it is the consumer's problem. Clearly, with all the of the actions I took, costing me time and money, the problem was all theirs.

Glad to hear others have local reception, now you can watch the full spectrum of CBS silliness in the realm of Survivor and Amazing Race.


But the sound is still messed up except during the local news broadcasts. I can even hear it on the TV speakers of my kitchen set. Come on guys, listen and complain! Sucked out midrange and a weird tubular "phazey" sound. Also the power of 27-2 seems to have dropped from last week.
post #393 of 409
The sound has been fixed at KREX. They're broadcasting excellent DD 5.1 now on 27.2. The music on Letterman sounded amazing last night. Now if they could only get rid of that annoying "5" bug...
post #394 of 409
Has anyone noticed that KREX HD is missing the center channel sound? It happens on both 5.1 and on 27.7, wheras KREX SD on 4.2 sounds fine.

If you don't have a surround sound system, you will still notice the missing center from the stereo downmix, namely 5.1 will be much quieter than 4.2.

This has been going on for months. (I'm talking about over-the-air reception, can't speak for cable or satellite.)
post #395 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rad View Post

Has anyone noticed that KREX HD is missing the center channel sound? It happens on both 5.1 and on 27.7, wheras KREX SD on 4.2 sounds fine.

If you don't have a surround sound system, you will still notice the missing center from the stereo downmix, namely 5.1 will be much quieter than 4.2.

This has been going on for months. (I'm talking about over-the-air reception, can't speak for cable or satellite.)

I have a 4.0 setup and there is no rear channel output either on the Broncos game. They're just sending out plain old stereo. KREX's engineering department is completely inept and management is beyond clueless. They have no idea how to operate their Dolby 5.1 equipment.
post #396 of 409
There's also no metadata coming down for 27.1 or 27.2. I think if more than one person was complaining about how lame KREX engineering dept is we might get something done.
post #397 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

There's also no metadata coming down for 27.1 or 27.2. I think if more than one person was complaining about how lame KREX engineering dept is we might get something done.

I've complained to them doesn't help. Although it is about KREG, and the signal degrading with the slightest bit of bad weather. They don't care. In bad weather their signal degrades more than some of the translators that are near the KREG tower location on Sunlight. What makes it more sad, the translator antennas are pointing away from me. Finally I decided to just complain to the FCC. "If they can't maintain a decent signal why do they even have a license?" is the question I posed to the FCC.
post #398 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by darjeeling View Post

I've complained to them doesn't help. Although it is about KREG, and the signal degrading with the slightest bit of bad weather. They don't care. In bad weather their signal degrades more than some of the translators that are near the KREG tower location on Sunlight. What makes it more sad, the translator antennas are pointing away from me. Finally I decided to just complain to the FCC. "If they can't maintain a decent signal why do they even have a license?" is the question I posed to the FCC.

I've been leaving messages for the engineer for years and never had a response. I know they own Dolby 5.1 gear, because they actually had it working properly for a month or two earlier this year. It's one of the smallest DMAs in the country, but that doesn't mean they have to treat their viewers so poorly. I'm going to try one more letter to the GM and then I'm filing a complaint with the FCC and CBS, whom I'm sure doesn't know that these people are doing such a poor job.
post #399 of 409
NO HDTV on KREX-HD (27.2) tonight. So we've gone from HD with DD 5.1 a few months ago to SD Stereo. What's next, black and white?
post #400 of 409
Glad I checked back. I was thinking about Direct TV again... still no locals in GJ area for them, but if KREX was working on OTA .... based on the most recent comments, KREX is still problem prone and deaf to complaints if you are OTA.

Guess I will just buy a Tivo for my Bresnan cable service and stick for another year. (The B supplied DVR is not a great one)....
post #401 of 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

I've been leaving messages for the engineer for years and never had a response. I know they own Dolby 5.1 gear, because they actually had it working properly for a month or two earlier this year. It's one of the smallest DMAs in the country, but that doesn't mean they have to treat their viewers so poorly. I'm going to try one more letter to the GM and then I'm filing a complaint with the FCC and CBS, whom I'm sure doesn't know that these people are doing such a poor job.

Just an FYI, when filing a complaint with the FCC be very specific. In my first complaint, filed electronically, I just mentioned the Sunlight location and the translators doing a better job than KREG. After filing my complaint I got a form letter back after a few days talking about reception and personal equipment issues and resolving them and told to talk directly to the station for signal issues. It also informed me my case was closed. Well that annoyed me so I opened another case mentioned all of the specific translators that were doing a better job than KREG in actually providing a broadcast signal and how KREX/KREG were unresponsive. It's been about two weeks since the second complaint and no second form letter, so hopefully it was actually read by a human this time and the complaint taken more seriously.
post #402 of 409
Here it is, two weeks later and their HD server (fancy word for DVR) is still down. Beyond pathetic. Why no backup? Why no overnighted replacement? Why does CBS put up with this level of incompetence?
post #403 of 409
I just got duped by Direct TV here in Grand Junction... My folks live with us and are about to take off my head since there are no local channels! What is the easiest, cheapest way of getting them? Granted, our TVs are all older (newest one was purchased in 2003).
We live out north of the mall. Is there still no word on getting local on DirectTV? And is there no hope of waivers too?
Yikes, its going to be a bumpy 2 year ride!
Thanks.
post #404 of 409
You can get your locals for free with an antenna. Just connect it to the antenna connector on the back of your DirecTV receiver. Most homes can get all of the locals (many in HD) with an indoor antenna, but it's possible that you may need a rooftop or attic location.
post #405 of 409
KREX is experiencing technical difficulties yet again. The live newscasts sound horrible. It sounds like the microphones are clipping.This has been going on for weeks, and I have been complaining, but because it's KREX, they don't fix the problem or even respond to my emails.
post #406 of 409
Trying to decide which service to go with for TV/Inet service. TWC has a good pkg., but most people I know are using DirectTV.
Any and all advice welcome
post #407 of 409
Broadcast channel 11-2 is now Memorable Entertainment Television (MeTV) with classic TV re-runs.
post #408 of 409
Is everyone still alive and happy?

Maranatha Broadcasting Corporation (MBC Grand) is running a standard definition test pattern on channel 22-1.

MBC Grand owns 6 local radio stations.
post #409 of 409
There is a new OTA movie channel coming...KREX still has audio problems in their studio.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Grand Junction, CO - HDTV