or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Seattle, WA - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Seattle, WA - OTA - Page 305

post #9121 of 10034
I was going to do TS_Reader grabs for somebody and dropped the ball. Is there still interest?
post #9122 of 10034
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschall View Post

I was going to do TS_Reader grabs for somebody and dropped the ball. Is there still interest?

Yes, very much so.

- Trip
post #9123 of 10034
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschall View Post

I'd think that listing horizontal only power would be effectively the same as listing zero vertical power. Although no antenna is perfect, KCTS, for example, at 21.7kw ERP H would have effectively zero ERP in the vertical plane.

The FCC uses horizontal power for ERP, regardless of what vertical power is. So, for example, KATV in Little Rock AR is 1000 kW H and 250 kW V. (Not sure why that one popped into my head, but it's on page 6 of this document: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_...um=1&exhcnum=1 )

- Trip
post #9124 of 10034
Interesting article from this mornings (6/23/2011) Seattle Times:

http://o.seattletimes.nwsource.com/h...tle_tv_st.html
post #9125 of 10034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

The FCC uses horizontal power for ERP, regardless of what vertical power is. So, for example, KATV in Little Rock AR is 1000 kW H and 250 kW V. (Not sure why that one popped into my head, but it's on page 6 of this document: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_...um=1&exhcnum=1 )

- Trip

Yep, they do it with 'undriven' parasitic elements attached near the slots which reradiate the horizontal component, essentially rotating the reradiating some of the horizontal component-vertically. Obviously the wavelength (physical size) and distance of the parasitic element from the slot, plus the number of parasitic elements and their stacked distance from each other, determine the amount of "power" being radiated in the vertical plane.
post #9126 of 10034
I live in Magnolia, near 33rd and Clise PL W. I'm looking to drop comcast and go ota with my TivoHD. Can anyone suggest a good antenna for my location? Here's a TV Fool report for my location. I've omitted the tvfool url due to my lack of posting abilities:

/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d03d92f6d72a3a7

Based on the reading I've done I'm looking at the CM2016 or Winegard HD1080.

What do you think ota gurus?
post #9127 of 10034
Quote:
Originally Posted by notgeek View Post

I live in Magnolia, near 33rd and Clise PL W. I'm looking to drop comcast and go ota with my TivoHD. Can anyone suggest a good antenna for my location? Here's a TV Fool report for my location. I've omitted the tvfool url due to my lack of posting abilities:

/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d03d92f6d72a3a7

Based on the reading I've done I'm looking at the CM2016 or Winegard HD1080.

What do you think ota gurus?

notgeek
You're in the gully, over a 125 feet below the hilltop. Reception tends to be line of sight, so its shooting over your head. You can try either of the antennas, but save the receipt to return it if it doesn't work. Ch13 will come in fine from the SW, but the rest are over the hill to the east,tough location.
Let us know what happens.
Dan
post #9128 of 10034
Does anyone have recommendations on places to buy attenuators (preferably on the Eastside)? Dan suggested Radioshack, but I can't find a part number on the website, so it will probably be hard going with an assistant. It looks like Vetco might have some. Not sure about their return policy, but worst case a few different attenuators at $3 each won't be too bad.
Thanks
Mike
post #9129 of 10034
Radio Shack doesn't sell attenuators any more. You'll either need to find a TV supply shop (if any still exist) or order them.
post #9130 of 10034
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirklandMike View Post

Does anyone have recommendations on places to buy attenuators (preferably on the Eastside)? Dan suggested Radioshack, but I can't find a part number on the website, so it will probably be hard going with an assistant. It looks like Vetco might have some. Not sure about their return policy, but worst case a few different attenuators at $3 each won't be too bad.
Thanks
Mike

For example ....
http://www.mjsales.net/items.asp?Fam...266&Cat2ID=125
post #9131 of 10034
Spectrum plan could shut down TV stations, says trade group

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...?taxonomyId=16

"The NAB's report, released Monday, assumes that the FCC would attempt to recover 120MHz of contiguous spectrum, from channels 31 to 51."
post #9132 of 10034
Thanks ProjectSHO89 - that saved me some frustration at RS. Unfortunately Vetco's lowest was 8db. I don't think that proved anything. Channel 4 is just about the same. I did confirm that 28.1 is lower on the signal meter, but it was still working OK.

I should have thought about this before trying. Are attenuators bi-directional? I'm guessing yes from the circuit diagrams I've seen, but I don't know for sure.

Back to Dan I think.
post #9133 of 10034
Yes, attenuators are bi-directional.
post #9134 of 10034
KBCB Bellingham

For those residing in Everett and northward, KBCB from Bellingham is adding a sub-channel on 24.2 with programming from Estrella. This is a top notch Hispanic network with lots of good variety programming, even for non-Spanish speakers.
post #9135 of 10034
K29ED in Everett has now been switched to digital transmission as of 8/1/11. It is using less power, has a better signal and carries the KJZO signals 22.1, 22.2 and 22.3 for the Everett area.

This should be a link to the coverage area:

http://maps.google.com/?q=http://www...ETT%26state=WA

Val
post #9136 of 10034
I watched the 11 AM news on the 4.2 subchannel this morning and the resolution was so poor that it was hard to watch.

EyeTV software can show some details of the video stream. KOMO's 4.2 subchannel shows that the video is 720x480, 2.78 Mbps.

OTOH, yesterday I watched "All in the Family" on KZJO 22.3 and the picture quality approached that of a DVD. EyeTV says the video on this channel is 704x480, 2.7 Mbps.

I realize that often the resolution of the source material is a limitation, but KOMO's news program is a studio broadcast and looks much better when on the main 4.1 channel (I wish they hadn't switched that broadcast).

It seems that KZJO does a much better job with video (even with one more subchannel) than KOMO.
post #9137 of 10034
hey everyone

just switched to OTA with Roku and boxee tagging along and everything is working well EXCEPT I cannot get King/Kong at all. I purchased a multidirectional (inside) antenna and the tv gets every other channel but king or kong are nowhere to be seen
i am in Redmond on the edge of education hill pointing south. There are some trees around but i can see clear to mount rainier.

I found a site that showed the direction for signals and they all come from roughly south-east and south-west so in theory I am in a perfect sweet spot but absolutely no luck on 5/6, the tv doesn't even put in a place holder which happened for other channels when I moved the antenna to test and the signal wasn't quite good enough.

does anyone have any thoughts on this?! am I missing something?

Thanks for any help/comments/tips
post #9138 of 10034
I'm in Everett and everything has been working pretty well with a Clearstream2/Clearstream5 combo. When we went to watch Seafair today, we discovered that we no longer have a good enough signal for KIRO. It's the only major local station that we aren't receiving well. Unfortunately, the Everett/Marysville translator, which tvfool claims I have LOS to, has an even less usable signal...

Has anything changed with KIRO's signal recently?
post #9139 of 10034
Just so I can post a solution rather then a question for once here is what ended up working for me in redmond with a great line of sight.

after purchasing a returning three different multi-directional antenna (inside and outside ones) a complete error at radio shack gave me the solution.
I ended up with a $80 directional powered antenna and discovered that the LOS site was completely wrong when I pointed the "dish" SSW and bam got all the channels even a couple I didn't know existed.

if you are in Redmond and you can see SSW (or just plain SW) a good directional antenna will do the trick very very well.
post #9140 of 10034
Stopped by Fry's this afternoon, and was surprised to see they have a new Channelmaster HD tuner for $129. They have had a HD DVR setup at about $369 for a while, and the CM7000 standard def tuner at about $60, but no other HD tuners. Other brands, like the Samsung H260, have disappeared. Had a few people ask about one and couldn't find anything. It looks like a pretty good box. If it's anything like the other two, it will probably have a great, sensitive tuner. This is the link for info
http://www.channelmaster.com/Digital...7001_s/287.htm
Dan
post #9141 of 10034
I'm on Damson Rd and 213th St Sw and trying to setup OTA and I'm having trouble getting FOX and PBS. I can't seem to pick them up at all. According to TV fool I should be able to receive it. I"m currently using an indoor antenna from Monoprice.

any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks!
post #9142 of 10034
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingm View Post

I'm on Damson Rd and 213th St Sw and trying to setup OTA and I'm having trouble getting FOX and PBS. I can't seem to pick them up at all. According to TV fool I should be able to receive it. I"m currently using an indoor antenna from Monoprice.

any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks!


I'd guess you have a UHF antenna....
post #9143 of 10034
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
I'd guess you have a UHF antenna....
I"m using this antenna: monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10901&cs_id=1090101&p_id=4729&seq=1&format=2

Specifications:
UHF 470-870 MHz
VHF 47-230 MHz
Gain 21 +/- 3dB
Low noise amplifier technology
High directionality
post #9144 of 10034
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingm View Post

I"m using this antenna: monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10901&cs_id=1090101&p_id=4729&seq=1&format=2

Specifications:
UHF 470-870 MHz
VHF 47-230 MHz
Gain 21 +/- 3dB
Low noise amplifier technology
High directionality

Yeah, that looks like a UHF/faux-VHF antenna unless it has rabbit ears hiding out of sight.
post #9145 of 10034
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Yeah, that looks like a UHF/faux-VHF antenna unless it has rabbit ears hiding out of sight.

Ok thanks. any recommendations for an indoor antenna?
post #9146 of 10034
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingm View Post

Ok thanks. any recommendations for an indoor antenna?

RCA 1251 - powered - VHF (rabbit ears) & UHF (internal loop)
post #9147 of 10034
RTV has withered from what the network once was. Gone are the programs that many viewers trusted and looked forward to on a daily basis, being replaced with a short list of programs, some of which aren't that bad while others are dreary. So the question is will KIRO continue their affiliation with RTV, or seek a replacement network for their 7.2 sub-channel. KVOS Bellingham carries MeTV, which is another retro network with a strong lineup of classic programming.. While KVOS is a Seattle-Tacoma market station by FCC designation, it's coverage footprint reaches down to only portions of Snohomish County, depriving Sea-Tac viewers access to MeTV. Would KIRO swap affilaitions between RTV and MeTV, or continue to air RTV as they self-implode on a slow basis?
post #9148 of 10034
FYI KVOS is carried by DISH for the Seattle DMA.
post #9149 of 10034
CoolTV is up and running & the picture quality is superb.
post #9150 of 10034
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post

Would KIRO swap affilaitions between RTV and MeTV, or continue to air RTV as they self-implode on a slow basis?

I'd imagine if Cox could've snagged the MeTV affiliation here, they would've. A number of Cox's other stations (WSB, WPXI, WJAC) dropped RTV for MeTV earlier this year.

Weigel's already extended the brand beyond ThisTV and MeTV in Chicago, having launched MeToo locally. One would think there'd be more defections from RTV if that format was to go national, as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Seattle, WA - OTA