or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › El Paso, TX - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

El Paso, TX - HDTV - Page 54

post #1591 of 1741
KTDO's digital version is back on RF 47. This got me wondering, why is there still an analog version on RF 48? According to the FCC the station on analog 48 is a translator of the main signal from digital 47. This would have made sense in the past. When channel 48 started out in the 1980's it broadcast from the top of the 10 story bank building in downtown Las Cruces. It was not easy to receive even at NMSU where I was at the time. About 1990 they moved the tower to Chaparral making it essentially an El Paso station as reception was impossible in Las Cruces except by cable. Now, however KTDO broadcasts from the Franklin Mountains with all of the others. I can not see a justification for a translator, probably on the same tower as the main signal. By September 1, 2015 translators must convert to digital or go off. My guess if they will go off.
post #1592 of 1741
When I re-scanned last Sunday to find 48-1 I also found another 3 PBS stations (22.1, 22.2, 22.3), what are those? they seem to have different programming than the 13's, they do have a low signal, so I suspect Las Cruces..
post #1593 of 1741
post #1594 of 1741
Seriously, what to do with SIX PBS channels? ouch.. LOL (4 of them always asking for money)
post #1595 of 1741
Six? I count five, assuming you're counting the subchannels. And the subchannels provide a good programming variety, with V-Me being Spanish and MHz Worldview bringing lots of other international programming in.

- Trip
post #1596 of 1741
Do any of you know if it is possible to receive KRWG in El Paso? Everywhere I read it says it serves Southern New Mexico and West Texas but I can't get that channel in the northeast.
post #1597 of 1741
KRWG broadcasts from a relatively low hill overlooking NMSU in Las Cruces, meaning that the mountains in El Paso block most of that city from receiving KRWG. The only exception seems to be a band along Loop 375 to the north and east of the airport.
post #1598 of 1741
Quote:
Originally Posted by laker32 View Post

Do any of you know if it is possible to receive KRWG in El Paso? Everywhere I read it says it serves Southern New Mexico and West Texas but I can't get that channel in the northeast.

Yes, I was able to get it in Montana Vista when their analog tower was at the Southern NM fairgrounds site on the way to Deming, but when the digital transmitter went up on "A" mountain, reception was much more difficult. A good antenna in West El Paso should not have much trouble but reception of KRWG in what we call the "Northeast" which is actually central El Paso just east of the Franklin Mountains is almost impossible. It is on cable.
post #1599 of 1741
Suddenly I can't seem to tune in to KRWG anymore, I guess something is now blocking my signal, or maybe they turned the power up temporarily, I'm in the SE side, maybe it squeezed thru

Could they do a "KTDO?" and put a repeater here? but being a PBS station maybe they don't have money for that
post #1600 of 1741
When I was able to get KRWG digital out in Montana Vista, it was much better in the morning or late at night and usually disappeared in the afternoon. Also, hot weather would make it go out. I do not see any way KRWG would be interested in funding a translator for El Paso. For one thing it would infringe on KCOS's territory.
At one time when KCOS was warning of financial doom, I wrote their general manager a letter suggesting that they merge with KRWG. I pointed out that there are very few PBS stations located within 40 miles of each other and those that are such as in the Los Angeles area serve a greater and more affluent base. The relatively few members in this area have to be divided between both KCOS and KRWG. My suggestion was that the primary operation of the station move to Las Cruces due to the support that KRWG gets from NMSU. The channel 13 tower here on the Franklin Mountains would serve as a full power relay of the signal broadcast from "A" mountain just east of NMSU.
The general manager wrote me back and stated that such arrangements had been discussed but that KRWG was not interested in such a deal. With their university backing I suppose they are more confident in their future. If you have been able to compare the two PBS affiliates, I am sure you have noted how much smoother transitions between shows seem on channel 22 as well as the fact that they are a 24 hour a day operation.
We are lucky to have KCOS though. El Paso was the last major city in the country to get a PBS station in the late 70's. A few of us even remember that KCOS came on as channel 7 and the switch with KVIA was several years later.
post #1601 of 1741
Any OTA members see drop-outs on KFOX? It just started this weekend for me. About once a minute there is a slight picture freeze and a word of audio is lost. The odd thing is that the signal meter remains constant near 100 and the SNR stays about 30 during the problems, but about 200 uncorrected errors occur. I e-mailed the general manager as there is no link to contact the KFOX engineer but so far no reply. Is this happening on cable and satellite also?
post #1602 of 1741
KFOX appears to be fixed. Maybe my e-mail helped.
post #1603 of 1741
Wasn't there some kind of requirement to level out the loudness of commercials, relative to the show? KVIA isn't even coming close,. the commercials that were just on had to be twice as loud as the show.

I've noticed this for a while, but is getting worst.
post #1604 of 1741
Here is another rant about KVIA. Did I just begin to notice or do they have a new method of showing all of their commercials in 16:9 center screen. The black bars on all sides are not even quite even. I had just seen that new ad for El Paso tourism (It's All Good) on KFOX. It is really quite impressive with festive colors and music. I flipped over to KVIA and saw the same ad in blurry SD in the center of the screen. It did not have near the impact. I would think that advertisers would pay less to have their product shown on this poor excuse for an ABC affiliate.
post #1605 of 1741
Concerning the sound level, it appears everyone is having problems.

The requirement is for the commercials to be at/near the same level as the show. The problem is, every show is at a different level so making the commercials match is extremely difficult. There are some shows where I have to run the sound up to around 30 and others down around 15. Many of the commercials and many of the shows (especially repeats) were created before the new law went into effect. When production values vary so much, how can any broadcaster make the commercial sound levels match?
post #1606 of 1741
Concerning the El Paso tourism commercial, isn't it the same commercial that was used in the several year old El Paso, You have no idea campaign just with the tag changed? Much of it seems very familiar.

Since KVIA hasn't upgraded their equipment yet, they are probably having to downgrade the HD version.

It is about time everything was created in HD 16:9 format. Let people with old analog TVs suffer, not those of us paying thousands of dollars to see TV with a clear, sharp picture.
post #1607 of 1741
These aren't old shows and old commercials. 5 or 6 pm news and local Hyundai commercial (has to be over twice as loud). Maybe the new mayor is exempt from the law.
post #1608 of 1741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post

Here is another rant about KVIA. Did I just begin to notice or do they have a new method of showing all of their commercials in 16:9 center screen. The black bars on all sides are not even quite even. I had just seen that new ad for El Paso tourism (It's All Good) on KFOX. It is really quite impressive with festive colors and music. I flipped over to KVIA and saw the same ad in blurry SD in the center of the screen. It did not have near the impact. I would think that advertisers would pay less to have their product shown on this poor excuse for an ABC affiliate.
Yes, KVIA is getting really, really annoying. They don't show any HD local content outside their local newscasts. The method KVIA uses to show their ads is referred to as 16:9 window boxing because the black bars form a "window" around the moving picture. I hate it when they do that. At the very least, they could zoom in on it to fill the HD screen (although it would be very blurry). Hopefully the advertisers will pressure KVIA to upgrade to HD, since nearly 100% of advertising agencies film, produce, and distribute content in HD. It's odd how KVIA is able to do HD widescreen banner ads on the bottom of the screen, yet they can't air that syndicated show where it was shown on in HD. Also, I've noticed the syndicated shows and local commercials on KVIA sometimes have a slight, annoying red hue to them. KVIA UPGRADE NOW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post

Concerning the El Paso tourism commercial, isn't it the same commercial that was used in the several year old El Paso, You have no idea campaign just with the tag changed? Much of it seems very familiar.

Since KVIA hasn't upgraded their equipment yet, they are probably having to downgrade the HD version.

It is about time everything was created in HD 16:9 format. Let people with old analog TVs suffer, not those of us paying thousands of dollars to see TV with a clear, sharp picture.
I like the new El Paso tourism commercial. But I hate it when it airs in 16:9 window boxed garbage on KVIA. Yes, that is what KVIA is doing, downgrading the HD version while preserving all of the picture. I agree that the number of people who use analog 4:3 TVs is decreasing. Therefore, the networks should eliminate the 4:3 safe zone. Just make everything for widescreen; like what ESPN does now. Many hotels and customers have basic cable which is not HD, but I think they (the cable/satellite companies) should at least upgrade it to widescreen SD.
post #1609 of 1741
KCOS now has Create on 13-3 again.
post #1610 of 1741
What the heck is going on tonight (Saturday, 7/6)? All the over the air (OTA) channels on my TV switched from the virtual channels to the physical channels and the same thing pretty much happened to the basic cable channels I get. And I'm getting some extra channels over the air.
post #1611 of 1741
Everything is back to virtual channels this morning. Should have made a note of the extra channels I saw, but was going to bed.
post #1612 of 1741
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcutty View Post

These aren't old shows and old commercials. 5 or 6 pm news and local Hyundai commercial (has to be over twice as loud). Maybe the new mayor is exempt from the law.

The Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation ( CALM) Act went into effect on December 13, 2012. It means the FCC's new rules require TV stations, cable operators, satellite TV operators and other pay TV providers to limit a commercial's average volume to that of the programming that it accompanies. A commercial may have louder and quieter moments, but, overall, it should be no louder than the surrounding programming. This may mean, however, that some commercials will comply with the new rules, but still sound "too loud" to some viewers.
post #1613 of 1741
KVIA strikes again. They pre-empted the final two hours of Zero Hour for the Humane Society telethon. They showed Zero Hour beginning just after 11:00 PM in 4:3 crap-o-vision. Since I record whole series before watching, this screws up my plans for watching shows I have recorded. I am now going to have to watch Zero Hour this week so I can get the last two episodes from ABC before they pull them or from Hulu before they move to Hulu Plus pay version.

Thanks KVIA!!
post #1614 of 1741
Hi - so thankful to have found this forum. Recently cut cable, learning my way through, and had a question. I'm on the west side of El Paso (Redd rd area) and can't seem to get any of the PBS channels on my antenna. I've rescanned a few different times, but don't have KCOS nor the Las Cruces PBS stations. I'm wondering, is this an issue with my location, or my antenna. Anyone have any suggestions? Any help is appreciated!
post #1615 of 1741
Please go to tvfool.com and enter your exact address and check the reception report. Then copy and paste the web address here. Your exact address will not show for privacy concerns. I just did a generic report for Redd Road and it makes a great deal of difference how near to the mountains you are located. Also let us know what type of antenna you are using and how it is mounted. KCOS is the only local station not available on UHF. Even though channel 7 and 9 broadcast on those legacy frequencies 7 is available on 17 and 9 on 16. KRWG is actually on channel 23 but the angle to the top of "A" mountain east of NMSU is tricky from anywhere in El Paso.
With some more information hopefully we can offer some more advice.
post #1616 of 1741
Thank you so much for your help! Here is the report for my address:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae9009cd90f1

Currently, we have a set top antenna, brand name AntennaCraft, on the first floor of the house. We get 15, 25, 18, 9, 7 and 16 nice and clear. We are pretty close to the mountain, so maybe that is hurting us. Thanks!
post #1617 of 1741
Yes, you only have line of sight to 15, 18 and 25. Indoor antennas can be very difficult in this digital age. If there is any way you could get an antenna outside and higher that would no doubt help. For channel 13 make sure your dipole rods are extended about 26 inches from tip to tip and perpendicular to the transmitter. If you want to try for KRWG of course you will have to move the antenna to another position.
I live near Bassett center and thought this new apartment would be conducive to indoor reception as I can see all of the broadcast towers from the window. Still, indoors I could get some of the channels most of the time but would have to re-adjust the indoor antenna frequently. Fortunately, I have a balcony facing the towers and was able to put a small outdoor antenna out there and solved all reception problems.
Experiment with your antenna by adding some extra cable and a barrel connector available at RS or most big box stores. I hope that antenna is not amplified, that can cause more problems than it solves in strong signal but multipath situations. If you decide to put up an outdoor antenna, let us know and we will offer some suggestions.
post #1618 of 1741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post

KVIA strikes again. They pre-empted the final two hours of Zero Hour for the Humane Society telethon. They showed Zero Hour beginning just after 11:00 PM in 4:3 crap-o-vision. Since I record whole series before watching, this screws up my plans for watching shows I have recorded. I am now going to have to watch Zero Hour this week so I can get the last two episodes from ABC before they pull them or from Hulu before they move to Hulu Plus pay version.

Thanks KVIA!!

Yeah, I agree, KVIA is getting really annoying. When are they going to upgrade to HD??!! I too watch Zero Hour and had to go watch it online at abc.com. Every break had 5 commercials; but at least it was in HD. If you recorded the first hour of Zero Hour, you will see that Rick Cabrera said that the station was "Breaking the rules" by extending the Humane Telethon by 5 minutes. They should do a fundraiser to raise money to hire a crew to operate and trôuble shoot the new HD recorders.

Everyone, please urge KVIA to upgrade sooner. Even the stations in Albuquerque that do not do HD news are able to show commercials and syndicated shows in HD. There is no reason to wait; but I do hope they get it done in time for fall TV premieres.
post #1619 of 1741
Quote:
Originally Posted by artiepenguin View Post

Yeah, I agree, KVIA is getting really annoying. When are they going to upgrade to HD??!! I too watch Zero Hour and had to go watch it online at abc.com. Every break had 5 commercials; but at least it was in HD. If you recorded the first hour of Zero Hour, you will see that Rick Cabrera said that the station was "Breaking the rules" by extending the Humane Telethon by 5 minutes. They should do a fundraiser to raise money to hire a crew to operate and trôuble shoot the new HD recorders.

Everyone, please urge KVIA to upgrade sooner. Even the stations in Albuquerque that do not do HD news are able to show commercials and syndicated shows in HD. There is no reason to wait; but I do hope they get it done in time for fall TV premieres.

Hi Artiepenquin. I haven't been here for a few months. I too missed the last 2 hours of Zero Hour. I was on vacation and was sure I had my recorder on. I watched on ABC.com. which by the way had several breakups, must be a network thing.

I emailed Rick C today with his last reply about the faulty equipment and asked what the status was on the new equipment installation. See what I get back, in fact that is what triggered me coming here, was going to post that I had e-mailed them.
post #1620 of 1741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post

Concerning the sound level, it appears everyone is having problems.

The requirement is for the commercials to be at/near the same level as the show. The problem is, every show is at a different level so making the commercials match is extremely difficult. There are some shows where I have to run the sound up to around 30 and others down around 15. Many of the commercials and many of the shows (especially repeats) were created before the new law went into effect. When production values vary so much, how can any broadcaster make the commercial sound levels match?

The CALM act is going to be a farce for the reasons you stated. They should have required all stations to broadcast at the "same" volume level, cable included. There is no standard, just like in the movies which prefer boom and bang over being able to understand the dialog.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › El Paso, TX - HDTV