or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › It's Here - The First HDTV PVR - Zenith HDR230!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

It's Here - The First HDTV PVR - Zenith HDR230! - Page 8  

post #211 of 664
I received my HDR230 from J&R yesterday and installed a 160 GB Maxtor drive I found at Fry's last weekend for $89 (after $70 rebate) and had it running with about 14 1/2 hours recording time available. After several hours of playing with the new toy, the digital audio output became silent and it took a quite a while to figure out a fix by going to the audio setup and toggling between dolby and pcm output. The audio muting continued to happen off and on, usually when powering the unit off and on again, so today I replaced the stock hard drive, but the problem still occurred--I then reinstalled the 160 GB drive. For now it seems that my unit when switched off and then on with minimal delay will often come on with the digital audio output silent, but waiting a minute or more before powering up works normally and will also fix the no audio problem. Have any other HDR230 users observed this quirk?
Charles
post #212 of 664
Zoro, you gotta learn to quote people's material serparately from your own writing.

Thanks,
Mark
post #213 of 664
Thomas

I read about the firewire out in the product description in widescreen review. It could have changed since than though.... we will see.

John
post #214 of 664
Quote:
Zoro, you gotta learn to quote people's material serparately from your own writing.
Thnx again, Mike. Happy?
post #215 of 664
Quote:
Originally posted by cnixon
I received my HDR230 from J&R yesterday and installed a 160 GB Maxtor drive I found at Fry's last weekend for $89 (after $70 rebate) and had it running with about 14 1/2 hours recording time available. After several hours of playing with the new toy, the digital audio output became silent and it took a quite a while to figure out a fix by going to the audio setup and toggling between dolby and pcm output. The audio muting continued to happen off and on, usually when powering the unit off and on again, so today I replaced the stock hard drive, but the problem still occurred--I then reinstalled the 160 GB drive. For now it seems that my unit when switched off and then on with minimal delay will often come on with the digital audio output silent, but waiting a minute or more before powering up works normally and will also fix the no audio problem. Have any other HDR230 users observed this quirk?
Charles
Seeing as that you are in Dallas, try a different TV station. I think it is the ABC station (might be another channel) in Dallas that has been creating some interesting problems.
post #216 of 664
I'm having a problem with video noise from my Zenith HDR230. Sometimes the picture has faint flickering horizontal bands. The problem is not usually noticeable, but it is distracting when it appears. The flickering is most noticeable in some scenes with blue sky. The problem occurs with the component video output, but not with RGB+H/V (my RGB+H/V cable has noise suppressors at each end). It occurs during live and recorded broadcasts, during play and pause, and always in the same scene. My display is an NEC LT150 projector. Turning on the LT150's low-pass video noise filter reduces or eliminates the problem. I haven't had this problem with my Samsung SIR-T150 HDTV receiver or any other video source
post #217 of 664
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffshome
MORE BAD NEWS! I also tried adding a second drive but all it saw was the primary drive. I tried both as Cable Select and tried setting one as master and one as slave and vise versa but it only listed the drive space from the drive that was primary.
Maybe you could drill a hole in the back of the case and add a toggle switch that has wires that run to some plugs that go to the place on the drives where the master/slave jumpers go. Power down the unit, flip the switch and power back up - presto you now have an A/B drive select feature.
post #218 of 664
I noticed in the pictures of the unit that it had svideo out.

I've read all the posts but did not see this mentioned.

Lets say I record CSI in HDTV.Can I then record that through svideo to a philips DVD recorder for example or a vcr to archive?

Does it output component and svideo at the same time?

Can I split my antenna signal so it goes to my STB and the PVR?

Or will the antenna out on the PVR just pass the signal to the STB?
post #219 of 664
Quote:
Originally posted by jandr
I noticed in the pictures of the unit that it had svideo out.

I've read all the posts but did not see this mentioned.

Lets say I record CSI in HDTV.Can I then record that through svideo to a philips DVD recorder for example or a vcr to archive?

Does it output component and svideo at the same time?

Can I split my antenna signal so it goes to my STB and the PVR?

Or will the antenna out on the PVR just pass the signal to the STB?
- You can record to the DVD recorder, but who wants to archive a downrezzed version?

- From what I read of the manual, you can't output both at the same time, but I have not tried it.

- Yes, and Yes. That is what the antenna out (pass-thru) is for.
post #220 of 664
Guys, how about this thing????

IDE Drive Switcher
post #221 of 664
Quote:
Originally posted by jandr
I noticed in the pictures of the unit that it had svideo out.

I've read all the posts but did not see this mentioned.

Lets say I record CSI in HDTV.Can I then record that through svideo to a philips DVD recorder for example or a vcr to archive?

Does it output component and svideo at the same time?

Can I split my antenna signal so it goes to my STB and the PVR?

Or will the antenna out on the PVR just pass the signal to the STB?
The DHR230 does have the "S" video as well as stereo and Dolby Digital coax and optical audio outputs. So you could record on to a DVD or VCR for archiving. I just got our 3rd shipment in yesterday and one HDR230 is going home with me this weekend so I don't know if it outputs HD and SD at the same time.

Yes you can split your OTA coax with a 50-450 mHz splitter and feed 2 HD ATSC decoders. The antenna out will also pass the signal.
post #222 of 664
The S-Video output (and the composite video output) is disabled if the unit is set to anything besides 480i. So for 480p, 720p and 1080i, the only active output is the component output (or the RGB output depending on which is selected). Of course, you can watch the program live in 1080i, then play it back in 480i later for archiving purposes.

Quote:
...I don't know if it outputs HD and SD at the same time.
post #223 of 664
Zoro, I was really trying to be helpful.

I hope it didn't come off negatively.
post #224 of 664
NP, Man!!! It is KOOL>.I am waiting for 330..coming out in couple months..
post #225 of 664
I just set up my own HDR230 and put a rotor on my StelthAntenna 3010 and the optional ChannelMaster internal amplifier. My 2 story house is 275' above sea level and I get HD local channels from 3 states. From NY I get NYC and LI, I also get NJ and CT HD channels. This receiver is extremely sensitive an selective. I have more HD local channels than you can shake a stick at.

We have not sold large quantities, approximately 10 so far, but we get great feedback from the users.
post #226 of 664
As the buyer of one of those ten units, I will state that I am happy with my purchase. While not perfect, this unit is the best HD recording device on the market for meeting my needs; it consistently, conveniently, and reliably records and plays back HD content.

But note that I am comparing it against products that actually exist, not the theoretical "maybe" features of devices with no firm price, feature set, or delivery date.
post #227 of 664
How can u connect direct tv reciever into it, for recording? as it does not have DIRECT TV?
post #228 of 664
I'm enjoying my HDR230 so far despite a few minor quirks. It's MUCH nicer than my Panny DVHS combos. Sensitivity is great for OTA reception and the channel 3 output from my Dish 5000. Is the recorded time listed in the program list incorrect on units with the stock 80 GB drive? Mine with a 160 GB drive ends up saying about 50 minutes for a 60 minute recording.
Charles
post #229 of 664
I agree. This is by far the best existing solution out there for recording OTA and Dish 5000. In fact, I could argue that it is better for me personally than a Tivo. The lack of auto-recording and season passes means that I'm actually watching less TV on a whole. But I still have the flexibility to watch my shows when I want in full HD. You can't beat that. The only real downside that I have with it is the guide based off of PSIP. BUT, since I'm working on that HTPC, maybe someday I can get my guide using XMLTV or something. By that time, I suppose the locals will be broadcasting thier guides anyway....
post #230 of 664
Here in Dallas, the only station that actually provides program information on PSIP is WFAA-DT. But for that one station it is kind of cool to have the finished recording show up with the name of program or movie already filled in.

> How can u connect direct tv reciever into it, for recording? as it does not have DIRECT TV?

This has already been addressed -- but the short answer is that you can't. Not an issue for me, as I have no intention of paying $45/month for four channels of HD from DirecTV, anyway.
post #231 of 664
Now that most people are enojoying there Zenith HDR230 has anyone figured out advanced discreet on/off codes for their remote controls?
post #232 of 664
Quote:
Originally posted by aviators99
...aren't we missing the obvious means of archival for the HDR230? Just take out the hard drive and put in a new one! I mean, hard drives are getting pretty cheap, and this is the first PVR that I know of that doesn't have the O.S. on the hard drive. A two hour HD show at 1080i will take up less than 20 GB. Looks to me like you can get these drives for around $50, so I imagine in quantity--much less. Just put in a new 20GB drive when recording a show you are going to want to archive (or 4 half-hour shows).

I think perhaps the future in the "Zenith Underground" (like the TiVo underground) might be to fabricate a front-loaded drive chassis for the thing.

Or---here's another idea---using the IDE standard to create a network interface...there's something I'd be interested in doing myself.
Sounds wacky enough to work. I recorded Dinosaur the other night using my HDR230 and the video is stunning in comparison to the DVD, and that's just on a plasma.

UNFORTUNATELY, it isn't something I'll do often (record movies OTA) since all the OTA broadcast stations insert commercials. While you can FF over commercials using a PVR, who the heck wants to do that watching a movie? I can deal with skipping commercials while watching sports or regular hour weekly shows, but not movies.

It seems I've come across another threshold for my viewing habits:

1. Given the choice, I'll watch SD TV on a PVR rather than HD TV live with commercials.

2. And now I'll watch movies on SD DVD rather than HD PVR if I have to skip commercials.
post #233 of 664
Quote:
Originally posted by ptrubey
UNFORTUNATELY, it isn't something I'll do often (record movies OTA) since all the OTA broadcast stations insert commercials. While you can FF over commercials using a PVR, who the heck wants to do that watching a movie?
You can remove the commercials from the recording, so once you edited a movie you'd never have to FF through the commercials again.

Quote:
the Zenith allows you to edit programs that are on the hard drive, which means that if you have a program saved but not yet viewed, it should be possible to take a few minutes to chop out the commercials to make room on the hard drive.
post #234 of 664
Quote:
Originally posted by Knative
You can remove the commercials from the recording, so once you edited a movie you'd never have to FF through the commercials again.
Good point - I'll have to try that and see if it works OK.
post #235 of 664
I've tried it as an experiment, and it does work just fine. It isn't frame accurate, but is probably comparable in accuracy to editing out commercials on a DVD recorder (within less than a second).
post #236 of 664
So what do you get - a blib lasting a second or so every commercial break?
post #237 of 664
Quote:
Originally posted by ptrubey
So what do you get - a blib lasting a second or so every commercial break?
Yes
post #238 of 664
KTLA 5.1 in southern california is putting titles into their EPG guide. This is awesome now only if all the other stations would follow.
post #239 of 664
I just checked here in Houston, and only one stations PSIP guide is worthwhile, and of course it is the local CBS-HD affiliate.

Why can't all the other freakin stations try to be as good as CBS?
post #240 of 664
Here in Dallas-Fort Worth, it is our ABC affiliate -- WFAA-DT -- that is providing program titles via PSIP. It is cool for recordings on that station, that end up being automatically labelled with the program name.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › It's Here - The First HDTV PVR - Zenith HDR230!