Originally Posted by rick1946
Please don't take this as me being a smart ass, it's an honest question.
I have followed this forum for many years because I have found it to be very informative, but it seems like 80% of the posts concern problems with Cable Cards, Tuning adapters, and Tivos. The problems seem to center on resets, missing channels, inaccurate program guides, recording problems and other irritating issues.
My question is: What makes all this aggravation worth it? Why not just rent Cox STBs?
Again, I am not trying to be a smart ass, I would really like to know, what are the advantages of non STB setups that make living with all these problems worthwhile.
In no particular order just to name a few off the top of my head:
* 30 sec skip
* Advanced wishlists, for example: Record all NBA Basketball Laker games whatever HD channel they appear on
* Suggestions (I don't care for them but a lot of people do)
* Real amount of disk space as opposed to limited capacity - can either expand internal storage or use external additional storage.
* Has supported multi-room viewing for many years and with Premieres you can now delete shows across multiple units and streaming (vs copying) is coming as well.
* Proper season passes that don't record same exact airing more than once
* Many more options for searching for shows, actors, directors, etc.
* Offloading shows to your computer or portable devices
* Ability to view shows from your computer on your DVR
* Cheaper over the long run if you get lifetime service and avoiding perpetual costly monthly fees
* YouTube, Pandora, Netflix, Amazon, etc.
* Applications that let you view To Do lists, find all season & series premieres, search and schedule shows etc. while away from home
* 4 tuner unit now available