or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › New York, NY - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New York, NY - OTA - Page 560

post #16771 of 17107
LenL,

I love being quoted in articles. smile.gif

- Trip
post #16772 of 17107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

LenL,

I love being quoted in articles. smile.gif

- Trip

I bet! You probably wrote the whole thing!

I should mention that I receive 25.3 just fine.
post #16773 of 17107
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

Giacomo,

I'm not going to have rain dumped on me by you. Maybe mother nature.

I'm speaking from MY personal experience at MY location in NJ and my research on this matter. It's OK that we disagree and CJVYNC can see there are ALTERNATIVEs to consider and try. I know what my reception was BEFORE and AFTER I put in a preamp. The impact was dramatic. You can shoot it down all you want. The truth is the truth. As far as any bad things happening because of a preamp? Possibly but I have 4 of them installed on 4 different antennas (my house and my moms) and I have not seen any issues. Can there be issues? Sure but I think if you get a good preamp they will be few and far between.

+1. The tone of his post(s) is quite irritating. That's nice he wants to offer some insight, but let's all relax and have a friendly discussion.

To suggest that more cable is beneficial to a radio signal originating from an unamplified antenna is just plain ignorant, IMO.wink.gif
post #16774 of 17107
Proper routing of cable from antenna to tv or tv's is important but too much cable is bad. "Drip loops" on entry point into house and slack on antenna and tv side is recommended. Excessive lengths of coax like enough to move your tv to anywhere in the living room is not a good idea.
post #16775 of 17107
Not all stations send out the same power and it's not uncommon that one or two stations are much higher than the others. A preamp used to boost the weaker ones can become overloaded by the more powerful carriers, generating interference that causes DTV receivers to work harder to decode the signal. Reports of lower strengths or even 'weak signal" blackouts often result. Sometimes antenna gain alone results in high power stations overloading DTV receivers, and splitters, attenuators, or even extra lengths of cable can dissipate enough signal to resolve the "too much signal" syndrome. But, if the overload is caused by using the preamp, you can't eliminate the resulting effects.
post #16776 of 17107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

LenL,

I love being quoted in articles. smile.gif

- Trip
Nice! Too bad the author incorrectly stated WNYE TV is seen on 74 on most cable systems. It's seen mostly on 25 (22 on cablevision). Many cable systems carry the NYC gov channel on 74 which is seen OTA on 25.2
post #16777 of 17107
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Molnar View Post

Not all stations send out the same power and it's not uncommon that one or two stations are much higher than the others. A preamp used to boost the weaker ones can become overloaded by the more powerful carriers, generating interference that causes DTV receivers to work harder to decode the signal. Reports of lower strengths or even 'weak signal" blackouts often result. Sometimes antenna gain alone results in high power stations overloading DTV receivers, and splitters, attenuators, or even extra lengths of cable can dissipate enough signal to resolve the "too much signal" syndrome. But, if the overload is caused by using the preamp, you can't eliminate the resulting effects.

Good points George. I guess if there is overload due to the preamp the solution is to pull the preamp. Sell it on Ebay or return it if within the return policy period if you find you can't use it.

I did have an issue with CBS last fall where it went from close to 100% to I could not get it at all for a couple of months. It could have been a preamp issue as you suggest can happen. I had a professional installer go on my roof to install the thing years ago as I don't climb over 10 feet. I was not going to call him to pull the preamp. But it has been fine the past 8 months. So I don't really know what the issue was. It may just have been something at my location.

Anyway there are lots of choices on how to improve OTA reception from preamps, bigger or different antennas, changing locations etc. One size does not fit all and as we all know it sometimes is just trial and error at your specific location.

Good to see we have more people going OTA!
post #16778 of 17107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

+1. The tone of his post(s) is quite irritating. That's nice he wants to offer some insight, but let's all relax and have a friendly discussion.
I am very glad that cjvnyc has elected to utilize an antenna and become an OTA-only household. But the list of channels he provided, considering his geographic location, was, in my opinion, anemic. I did not want him to think that he was limited to that selection. Therefore, considering all of the parameters of his particular location, I provided my suggestions for how to improve his reception. In my opinion, the way to achieve this is to go aggressive with a stronger antenna and allow it to fully breathe in all directions. I'm glad he is receiving what he is, but I think he could do even better.

The problem with OTA broadcasting in 2013 is that the content can wear with viewers easily and quickly. Infomercials, 24/7 religious stations, lack of most significant sporting events, endless reruns of typical syndicated fare, and multiple ownership rules have all depleted the uniqueness of the TV dial. The only way to mitigate that is to maximize your reception to be inclusive of as many channels as possible. That way, you at least have more variety potential. And New York City, unlike Los Angeles, Chicago, and other major markets, has virtually no independent commercial stations. This makes powerful reception all the more critical in this market.

George Molnar and nyctveng offered some excellent technical insight to this specific discussion. Len, I wasn't specifically criticizing you, though I understand how you could have construed that because I quoted your post. I was pointing out that, considering the refraction potential of his situation, a preamp could have the opposite effect of that which I know you hoped he would have. It may or it may not. My signals suffer from refraction also, and that solution did not work for me. But with reception issues, it is obvious - and digital television has definitely proved this over the past four years - that Your Mileage May Vary is more than a saying, it is a science.
post #16779 of 17107
Giacomo,

Good points.

Unless he speaks Spanish, Korean or Chinese he pretty much gets all of the English speaking channels. It may look anemic but if he listed all of the sub channels it would be a much bigger list. It looks pretty much like what I get.

If he had a rotor he probably could change his antenna direction as needed and pick up a few more stations including WLIW. But it all depends on what he and his family viewing preferences are.

I know a lot of people never watch PBS programming and I am hooked on PBS. I would go out of my way to get PBS stations with my antenna. Other people could care less.

If he comes back with more specific issues we can offer our diverse opinions.
post #16780 of 17107
He's missing NJTV on 50.1 or 58.1 though, and that's definitely of interest (again, if one likes PBS).

- Trip
post #16781 of 17107
I'm going to go up a bit in elevation to the apex of the dormer roof and also be more careful on my 87 degrees, which I basically eyeballed before using a cheap compass, then re-evaluate. I'll post the new numbers back in here. The PBS station in Montclair is going to be a tricky issue for me as I live south of Montclair, not west.
Edited by cjvnyc - 8/3/13 at 6:57am
post #16782 of 17107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

He's missing NJTV on 50.1 or 58.1 though, and that's definitely of interest (again, if one likes PBS).

- Trip

Yes but CJVNYC never complained so he may not care about these or PBS in general. Plus a lot of what they broadcast was already shown on PBS 13.1. All the major programming from Downton Abby, This Old House, Mystery, Nature etc originates from PBS 13.1.
post #16783 of 17107
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjvnyc View Post

I'm going to go up a bit in elevation to the apex of the dormer roof and also be more careful on my 87 degrees, which I basically eyeballed before using a cheap compass, then re-evaluate. I'll post the new numbers back in here. The PBS station in Montclair is going to be a tricky issue for me as I live south of Montclair, not west.

OK..be careful on that ladder!
post #16784 of 17107
Hey, I did a rescan at 3AM the other night. I now have 59 OTA HD stations, EXCEPT 5.2 NY FOX. All I get on 5.2 is a delayed rebroadcast of 5.1. I was unaware that 5.2 is broadcasting movies. Is anyone in the NJ/NY/CT area receiving movies, or is it just me? I am getting more Philly stations than stations that are broadcast LOS from NJ, sheesh.mad.gif
post #16785 of 17107
And I forgot to add this tidbit in, I am using an old crappy Radio Shack 60" antenna, located in my condo attic. I've moved it, then moved it again, then moved it again, then, heck! I am NOT moving it anymore. I'm going through what a lot of people have gone through. Every time I lose a station, move the antenna, you get one, lose 3. I don't like those Vegas odds at all. I am going to spend the $50 and get a decent medium range antenna. Keep my coax line length short and hope for the best. And Giacomo Siffredi is right. Most of my additional stations are foreign language and useless crap. The best 4 stations in the country, bar none, are from MIND TV, (http://www.mindtv.org/) which is NOT broadcast from NY. It is broadcast from Philadelphia. They are independent and unbiased. They have the best programming and news. Better than that liberal-biased crap that FOX and CNN broadcast. I cut the cable cord and I won... la la la la. (Sing to "I fought the law and the law won")rolleyes.gif
post #16786 of 17107
Reporting after long time. Bought a new house in Monroe, NJ, which is about 52 miles from NYC stations. For last two years I had dish. But it'd drop out during bad weather. I had made up my mind to drop it once the commitment period is over. So after two years I am switching to fios. To save on hd rental box fee for my bedroom and basement tv, I decided to try my db2 antenna outdoor. I got zero channels from NYC and about 15 from Philly market. I am in a location, which tvfool says 1edge for 25ft height antenna towards NYC stations. The db2 was at 5ft above ground outdoor, using the same dish pole mount. I thought of buying a big and ugly antenna. But one day mcm electronics, which is famous for selling raspberry pi, sent me a promo mailer for a fringe range yagi UHF antenna for about $25 plus $5 shipping. I had earlier purchased raspberry pi from them, so I was on their mailing list. Bought the antenna as a pur impulse purchase without reading any review in avsforum or any other places. Yesterday I installed it in the attic pointing towards NYC stations. It's about 100' RG6 run to a 2 way splitter in the basement and then another 100' RG6 run to 2nd floor bedroom tv. I had no expectations because of the distance, terrain and all the other negative factor like roofing material, long running cable, splitter Eric. Surprisingly I am getting almost channels for NYC market except cw11 and pbs13. I was even more surprised that I got abc7, because the antenna is really not a VHF antenna.
I used the following antenna. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-30-2155-/30-2155 I am now thinking of getting either the 75 mile deep fringe version or the yagi antenna sold by radio shack to see if it can get cw11 and pbs13.
post #16787 of 17107
OK, apologies but a "dumb" question: if you're in NJ, close to NYC, then buy a second fin/antenna and point it to Philly, then merge/couple the feeds, will the Philly stations' signals now mess up the NYC stations where the frequencies overlap?
post #16788 of 17107
Quote:
Originally Posted by kousikb View Post

Reporting after long time. Bought a new house in Monroe, NJ, which is about 52 miles from NYC stations. For last two years I had dish. But it'd drop out during bad weather. I had made up my mind to drop it once the commitment period is over. So after two years I am switching to fios. To save on hd rental box fee for my bedroom and basement tv, I decided to try my db2 antenna outdoor. I got zero channels from NYC and about 15 from Philly market. I am in a location, which tvfool says 1edge for 25ft height antenna towards NYC stations. The db2 was at 5ft above ground outdoor, using the same dish pole mount. I thought of buying a big and ugly antenna. But one day mcm electronics, which is famous for selling raspberry pi, sent me a promo mailer for a fringe range yagi UHF antenna for about $25 plus $5 shipping. I had earlier purchased raspberry pi from them, so I was on their mailing list. Bought the antenna as a pur impulse purchase without reading any review in avsforum or any other places. Yesterday I installed it in the attic pointing towards NYC stations. It's about 100' RG6 run to a 2 way splitter in the basement and then another 100' RG6 run to 2nd floor bedroom tv. I had no expectations because of the distance, terrain and all the other negative factor like roofing material, long running cable, splitter Eric. Surprisingly I am getting almost channels for NYC market except cw11 and pbs13. I was even more surprised that I got abc7, because the antenna is really not a VHF antenna.
I used the following antenna. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-30-2155-/30-2155 I am now thinking of getting either the 75 mile deep fringe version or the yagi antenna sold by radio shack to see if it can get cw11 and pbs13.

WABC is broadcasting with a lot more power than WPIX/WNET, so it's not shocking that you'd get it but not the others. 34 kW versus less than 10 for the other two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxguy View Post

Hey, I did a rescan at 3AM the other night. I now have 59 OTA HD stations, EXCEPT 5.2 NY FOX. All I get on 5.2 is a delayed rebroadcast of 5.1. I was unaware that 5.2 is broadcasting movies. Is anyone in the NJ/NY/CT area receiving movies, or is it just me? I am getting more Philly stations than stations that are broadcast LOS from NJ, sheesh.mad.gif

I'm sort of confused by your message here. The two Fox-owned stations have this lineup:

WWOR
9-1 My Network TV (HD)
5-3 Fox (SD)
9-3 Bounce TV
9-4 Mundo Fox

WNYW
5-1 Fox (HD)
9-2 My Network TV (SD)
5-2 Movies!

Which one aren't you getting? WNYW is on the same channel as WMCN in the Philadelphia market, so it tends to be harder to get if you receive both sets of stations, but you should still at least be able to see Fox (in SD) on 5-2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjvnyc View Post

OK, apologies but a "dumb" question: if you're in NJ, close to NYC, then buy a second fin/antenna and point it to Philly, then merge/couple the feeds, will the Philly stations' signals now mess up the NYC stations where the frequencies overlap?

Yes, though even using two antennas aimed different ways when frequencies don't overlap is usually considered to be a bad idea because it can introduce multipath and degrade your signal quality.

- Trip
post #16789 of 17107
Since u have fios, u can hook up your bedroom and basement tv and get all of their unencrypted locals and skip the hassle of an antenna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kousikb View Post

Reporting after long time. Bought a new house in Monroe, NJ, which is about 52 miles from NYC stations. For last two years I had dish. But it'd drop out during bad weather. I had made up my mind to drop it once the commitment period is over. So after two years I am switching to fios. To save on hd rental box fee for my bedroom and basement tv, I decided to try my db2 antenna outdoor. I got zero channels from NYC and about 15 from Philly market. I am in a location, which tvfool says 1edge for 25ft height antenna towards NYC stations. The db2 was at 5ft above ground outdoor, using the same dish pole mount. I thought of buying a big and ugly antenna. But one day mcm electronics, which is famous for selling raspberry pi, sent me a promo mailer for a fringe range yagi UHF antenna for about $25 plus $5 shipping. I had earlier purchased raspberry pi from them, so I was on their mailing list. Bought the antenna as a pur impulse purchase without reading any review in avsforum or any other places. Yesterday I installed it in the attic pointing towards NYC stations. It's about 100' RG6 run to a 2 way splitter in the basement and then another 100' RG6 run to 2nd floor bedroom tv. I had no expectations because of the distance, terrain and all the other negative factor like roofing material, long running cable, splitter Eric. Surprisingly I am getting almost channels for NYC market except cw11 and pbs13. I was even more surprised that I got abc7, because the antenna is really not a VHF antenna.
I used the following antenna. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-30-2155-/30-2155 I am now thinking of getting either the 75 mile deep fringe version or the yagi antenna sold by radio shack to see if it can get cw11 and pbs13.
post #16790 of 17107
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post

Since u have fios, u can hook up your bedroom and basement tv and get all of their unencrypted locals and skip the hassle of an antenna.

Yesterday the fios installer came and said that although the fios box is in my front yard, the underground cabling seems to be connected to a house 500ft from my house. My house doesn't seem to have the underground conduit connecting the distribution box. So I am still managing with a 3mbps comcast Internet (downgraded from earlier 25mbps service recently) to see whether I can live with it for netflix service and save money from $65 a month Internet to $30 per month. After the fios fiasco I got desperate to see if I can have just Internet and ota. That's when I got out of the Couch and installed the antenna in the attic. But the Internet speed would probably drive me towards fios again. Because I am not getting the netflix with full bloom and the chromecast I got recently would be under served. Yes I know if I upgrade the Comcast speed I may have it better and still use their qam. But comcast has a nasty habit to update their qam mappings every now and then and I don't want to rescan everyday. So the fios with $70 per month for select tv hd and Internet would provide the reliability for the family room tv and the fios installer advised me to call fios tech support to get some discount for the "inconvenience" I have faced in the install which is still not compete.
Edited by kousikb - 8/4/13 at 6:48am
post #16791 of 17107
Quote:
Originally Posted by kousikb View Post

Yesterday the fios installer came and said that although the fios box is in my front yard, the underground cabling seems to be connected to a house 500ft from my house. My house doesn't seem to have the underground conduit connecting the distribution box. So I am still managing with a 3mbps comcast Internet (downgraded from earlier 25mbps service recently) to see whether I can live with it for netflix service and save money from $65 a month Internet to $30 per month. After the fios fiasco I got desperate to see if I can have just Internet and ota. That's when I got out of the Couch and installed the antenna in the attic. But the Internet speed would probably drive me towards fios again. Because I am not getting the netflix with full bloom and the chromecast I got recently would be under served. Yes I know if I upgrade the Comcast speed I may have it better and still use their qam. But comcast has a nasty habit to update their qam mappings every now and then and I don't want to rescan everyday. So the fios with $70 per month for select tv hd and Internet would provide the reliability for the family room tv and the fios installer advised me to call fios tech support to get some discount for the "inconvenience" I have faced in the install which is still not compete.
Ok, good luck with the fios. I believe Comcast has or is in the process of encrypting all their local QAM anyway while fios is unencrypted for now.
post #16792 of 17107
Comcast just encrypted limited basic cable for us in New Britain, CT a few days ago. Sadly, you are spot on with that assessment. mad.gif
post #16793 of 17107
Trip, I'm getting even more confused. Here's what I researched. From Wikipedia: At 11:59 p.m. ET on June 12, 2009, WNYW discontinued its analog signal on VHF channel 5;[28] the shutdown occurred during the closing credits of a syndicated rerun of The Simpsons. The station's digital signal remained on its pre-transition channel 44,[29] using PSIP to display WNYW's virtual channel as 5. It carried WWOR's programming on digital subchannel 5.2 until 2009, when it changed the PSIP data to identify the virtual channel carrying WWOR's programming to 9.2. Subchannel 9.2 still remains multiplexed with WNYW 5.1 on RF channel 44. Then I emailed a Mike Howey from FOXTV and got this reply: If, on the other hand, you are trying to receive MOVIES! with an antenna, then it will be on 5.2. For WNYW, 5.1 will show channel 5 programming in high definition. 5.2 will show MOVIES! and 5.3 will show channel 5 programming in standard definition. If you can receive 5.1 using an antenna, 5.2 should be there also. Perhaps another rescan on your TV is in order. I have seen it take a few scans to get all the channels you have available. I've done enough freaking rescans already. I am trying to receive OTA, channel 5.2, which according to the FCC query look up is WNYW in New York. I am on mile marker 46 on Route 22, in North Plainfield NJ. I am trying to figure out why I am not able to get 5.2 movies, NOT the delayed rebroadcast of WNYW 5.1. And I am very accomplished at electronics and mechanical things. Nothing pisses me off more than not being able to do a simple thing and not have it work. Like editing the Windows registry to remove those damn shortcut arrows on my desktop. So I am about to get another box for scanning and see if that solves the problem. In the meantime, I will be buying a mid-range antenna. Here's the official FCC query: http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?state=NY&call=wnyw&arn=&city=new&chan=05&cha2=69&serv=DT&type=3&facid=&list=2&dist=&dlat2=&mlat2=&slat2=&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&size=9. So I did another rescan and nothing happened to channel 5.2, nor is except now I am getting OTA signals from 3 states. I will update you when I get the antenna installed and post the results. Or I am going to throw everything and I mean EVERYTHING in the dumpster and just build this antenna and be happy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EWQhlmJTMzw#at=117 confused.gif
post #16794 of 17107
Make and model of equipment you are using? Hopefully not outdated and obsolete Voom boxes that some people here use :x

Edit: I went back to your old posts and it seems you are getting Fox SD on 5.2 rather than Movies. Seems like your tv is holding onto it's old channel settings when you do a rescan so therefore not seeing the "new 5.2". Old setting of 5.2 is actually WWOR and new is actually WNYW. Try deleting both all WWOR and WNYW channels in your tv and do a rescan. I'm confident that will fix your issue. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxguy View Post

Trip, I'm getting even more confused. Here's what I researched. From Wikipedia: At 11:59 p.m. ET on June 12, 2009, WNYW discontinued its analog signal on VHF channel 5;[28] the shutdown occurred during the closing credits of a syndicated rerun of The Simpsons. The station's digital signal remained on its pre-transition channel 44,[29] using PSIP to display WNYW's virtual channel as 5. It carried WWOR's programming on digital subchannel 5.2 until 2009, when it changed the PSIP data to identify the virtual channel carrying WWOR's programming to 9.2. Subchannel 9.2 still remains multiplexed with WNYW 5.1 on RF channel 44. Then I emailed a Mike Howey from FOXTV and got this reply: If, on the other hand, you are trying to receive MOVIES! with an antenna, then it will be on 5.2. For WNYW, 5.1 will show channel 5 programming in high definition. 5.2 will show MOVIES! and 5.3 will show channel 5 programming in standard definition. If you can receive 5.1 using an antenna, 5.2 should be there also. Perhaps another rescan on your TV is in order. I have seen it take a few scans to get all the channels you have available. I've done enough freaking rescans already. I am trying to receive OTA, channel 5.2, which according to the FCC query look up is WNYW in New York. I am on mile marker 46 on Route 22, in North Plainfield NJ. I am trying to figure out why I am not able to get 5.2 movies, NOT the delayed rebroadcast of WNYW 5.1. And I am very accomplished at electronics and mechanical things. Nothing pisses me off more than not being able to do a simple thing and not have it work. Like editing the Windows registry to remove those damn shortcut arrows on my desktop. So I am about to get another box for scanning and see if that solves the problem. In the meantime, I will be buying a mid-range antenna. Here's the official FCC query: http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?state=NY&call=wnyw&arn=&city=new&chan=05&cha2=69&serv=DT&type=3&facid=&list=2&dist=&dlat2=&mlat2=&slat2=&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&size=9. So I did another rescan and nothing happened to channel 5.2, nor is except now I am getting OTA signals from 3 states. I will update you when I get the antenna installed and post the results. Or I am going to throw everything and I mean EVERYTHING in the dumpster and just build this antenna and be happy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EWQhlmJTMzw#at=117 confused.gif

Edited by nyctveng - 8/5/13 at 4:10pm
post #16795 of 17107
I concur with nyctveng. You may also need to do the so-called "double rescan," whereby you unplug your antenna, scan (thus wiping out the memory), then hook the antenna back up and scan again.

- Trip
post #16796 of 17107
Hey Stoxguy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post

I went back to your old posts and it seems you are getting Fox SD on 5.2 rather than Movies. Seems like your tv is holding onto it's old channel settings when you do a rescan so therefore not seeing the "new 5.2". Old setting of 5.2 is actually WWOR and new is actually WNYW. Try deleting both all WWOR and WNYW channels in your tv and do a rescan. I'm confident that will fix your issue. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

I concur with nyctveng. You may also need to do the so-called "double rescan," whereby you unplug your antenna, scan (thus wiping out the memory), then hook the antenna back up and scan again.

- Trip
Have you tried manually entering channel 44 directly using your remote control? Before you delete and rescan, try doing this. Please let us know your results. If the result turns out to be what I expect it to be, I believe you will be pleasantly surprised and your problem will be completely fixed smile.gif
post #16797 of 17107
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINL71 View Post

Comcast just encrypted limited basic cable for us in New Britain, CT a few days ago. Sadly, you are spot on with that assessment. mad.gif

Same thing happened here in Comcast's Hudson Valley service areas (eastern Putnam and Dutchess Counties).
post #16798 of 17107
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

Just want to point out that more elevation will most likely favorably impact the VHF stations the most.....7.1, 11.1 and 13.1.

UHF reception is not as dependent on elevation. The sweet spot could be right where your antenna is or it could be higher or lower.

You did not mention 50.1 or 58.1 the NJN PBS stations. If you are not getting them and want them you may need to move you antenna, or try getting them with another antenna. A lot of the programming on them is also on 13.1 PBS.

Well, I am in SW Nassau County, and with my chimney mounted Winegard HD7010, I get the following through a CM-7000 CECB tuner box on a CRT....

2-1 (35%)
3-1 (75%)
4-1 (75%)
5-1 (100%)
7-1 (100%)
9-1 (100%)
11-1 (100%)
12-1 (65%)
13-1 (100%)
21-1 (48%)
24-1 (25%)
25-1 (20%) *
41-1 (20%) *
42-1 (35%)
45-1 (58%)
47-1 (68%)
50-1 (65%)
63-1 (24%)
68-1 (60%)

I only have dropout issues on WNYC (25) and Univision (41).

I was surprised at the varying reception levels, being only 15-20 miles from ESB / Midtown... especially for 2-1.. and reception of 50.1 is almost twice that of 2.1 and it's twice as far away!! Must be harmonics and reflections...

I'll need to check again in the dead of winter to determine foliage impact... There are MANY high trees at least a story higher than the roof line in my LOS to the sticks.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #16799 of 17107
Your Wineguard HD7010 is a better VHF than UHF antenna. That may account for some of your reception results. Combo antennas can work well for many people. For some they are bad news.

Personally I have had better results from having separate VHF and UHF antennas. This way you can find the sweet spot for each. Your great VHF reception is a function of the model of antenna and height.

As I have said before UHF reception may/can be a location that isn't the same as good VHF reception.

If anyone is starting out with OTA I would recommend separate VHF and UHF antennas.
post #16800 of 17107
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

Your Wineguard HD7010 is a better VHF than UHF antenna. That may account for some of your reception results. Combo antennas can work well for many people. For some they are bad news.

Personally I have had better results from having separate VHF and UHF antennas. This way you can find the sweet spot for each. Your great VHF reception is a function of the model of antenna and height.

As I have said before UHF reception may/can be a location that isn't the same as good VHF reception.

I would agree, but 5-1 and 9-1 are on UHF, and are coming in at 100%... 4-1 (RF 28) is okay, but 2-1 (RF 33), which is in between 4-1 and 9-1 (RF 38) is worse, so I don't think it's antenna efficiency at work.... And 2-1 is operating at a greater power (according to TV Fool...) I still think the local environment is to blame... Puzzling.

Again, I will check in the winter after the leaves on those trees are gone...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › New York, NY - OTA