or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 63  

post #1861 of 8537
Hmm. It does seem to me Cox changed their policy on their web site. Anyway, I subscribed to discovery HD. So that gateway fee is required:( Among all the HD channels , I find out I watch Discovery HD most of the time.
post #1862 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by jswclw
I was looking for station information in the FCC database and happened across this little tid-bit related to FOX 5. Their antenna is listed as "Polarization: Elliptically Polarized (V < H)", versus just about everyone else "Polarization: Horizontally Polarized". What does this mean and why does FOX have to be different?

The multi path problems should be worse for elliptically polarized signals . For a normal signal the chances are that the reflected signal's polarity will change and the receive antenna will reject the reflection. Because there is both a vertical and Horizontal power in elliptically polarized signals the chances the reflections will not be rejected. The chances that the multi path will be much worse. Close in reception is not as good.

Because more power can be broadcast with elliptically polarized signals the coverage area is increased. Far out reception should be better.
post #1863 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by Rfutscher
The multi path problems should be worse for elliptically polarized signals . For a normal signal the chances are that the reflected signal's polarity will change and the receive antenna will reject the reflection.
Because more power can be broadcast with elliptically polarized signals the coverage area is increased. Far out reception should be better.
I'm not so sure. The reflection coeffecient necessary to induce a phase shift is only significant for very shallow grazing angles (< 5deg@500MHz) and only for pure H polarization and only over a perfectly smooth (relative to a wavelength) surface. This is not going to be the case in an urban environment where multipath is a serious issue.

Polarization diversity on the other hand has been used for some time to reduce the fading characteristics of long distance communications. Perhaps not at UHF however.

I can't think of a reason that more power can be broadcast using elliptically polatized signals.
post #1864 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by NightHawk
I'm not so sure. The reflection coeffecient necessary to induce a phase shift is only significant for very shallow grazing angles (< 5deg@500MHz) and only for pure H polarization and only over a perfectly smooth (relative to a wavelength) surface. This is not going to be the case in an urban environment where multipath is a serious issue.

Polarization diversity on the other hand has been used for some time to reduce the fading characteristics of long distance communications. Perhaps not at UHF however.

I can't think of a reason that more power can be broadcast using elliptically polatized signals.
When did this turn into a WAVEFORM PHYSICS thread!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #1865 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by Rfutscher
The multi path problems should be worse for elliptically polarized signals . For a normal signal the chances are that the reflected signal's polarity will change and the receive antenna will reject the reflection. Because there is both a vertical and Horizontal power in elliptically polarized signals the chances the reflections will not be rejected. The chances that the multi path will be much worse. Close in reception is not as good.

Because more power can be broadcast with elliptically polarized signals the coverage area is increased. Far out reception should be better.
If I understand correctly, elliptical polarization increases chances of multi path problems close-in, but provides better distant reception.

This matches by own experience in that FOX 5 . At 15 miles and practically the same location as 4, 7, and 9 and highest power of all (I think) it should be the best of the bunch. In practice, they are the worst.

This also agrees with one of the earlier replies on this topic. A viewer in Martinsburg, WV (I think) who was praising FOX 5 for the great reception he was getting at considerable distance.

So maybe there is a reasonable explanation for the problems that some close-in folks have with FOX 5. Interesting :rolleyes:
post #1866 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by tahoerob
When did this turn into a WAVEFORM PHYSICS thread!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your right. Other than the WTTG application, it's a discussion more approiate in different thread.
post #1867 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by NightHawk
Your right. Other than the WTTG application, it's a discussion more approiate in different thread.
I was mostly just kidding!!
But I too out here in Winchester feel that Fox5 is one of my better stations!
I am ~65 miles from DC towers.
post #1868 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott R. Scherr
Lee:

I had D* ask for a waiver for me too. But I decided to call WUSA and speak with the waiver department anyway. They will grant all Baltimore residents waivers and I would send an e-mail to Ms. Hicks. `She will send you a written waiver. You can fax that to D* and they will turn you on which is likely to be faster than waiting for D* to do it for you.

Scott
Scott, see my location... :) I *really* don't expect a waiver, but since D* offered to ask for one, I thoight I'd let them. If I get one, I'd be floored!
post #1869 of 8537
Thread Starter 
I just noticed. I don't think any of us know how to post without quoting someone else's post. hehe. Lee, I'd be surprised to see you get a waiver for a Baltimore O&O Market when you are in the DC DMA.
post #1870 of 8537
Sorry, Lee! I didn't realize you were in DC.

Ms. Hicks e-mailed me last night saying my waiver was granted, but cautioned that she had several e-mails concerning this and not everyone would qualify. She was saying, between the lines, that DC residents will not be granted waivers.

Scott

Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
Scott, see my location... :) I *really* don't expect a waiver, but since D* offered to ask for one, I thoight I'd let them. If I get one, I'd be floored!
post #1871 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by jswclw
If I understand correctly, elliptical polarization increases chances of multi path problems close-in, but provides better distant reception.

This matches by own experience in that FOX 5 . At 15 miles and practically the same location as 4, 7, and 9 and highest power of all (I think) it should be the best of the bunch. In practice, they are the worst.

This also agrees with one of the earlier replies on this topic. A viewer in Martinsburg, WV (I think) who was praising FOX 5 for the great reception he was getting at considerable distance.

So maybe there is a reasonable explanation for the problems that some close-in folks have with FOX 5. Interesting :rolleyes:
This matches my experiences as well except I'm not close-in. Back when there were leaves on the trees, I got FOX 5 rock solid with no problems. I am approximately 43 miles from the tower.

BUT, once the leaves went away, the multipath problems increased *dramatically* - to the point where many nights I can't watch FOX 5 OTA. I'm right at the base of the Blue Ridge with smaller yet hilly terrain in-between me and the tower. Multipath KILLS me on FOX 5.

All other DC OTA stations are fine, including 26. So for me, I tend to support the "eliptically polarized increases multipath" theory.
post #1872 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
I just noticed. I don't think any of us know how to post without quoting someone else's post. hehe. ...................
What do you mean??!!??
post #1873 of 8537
This better!?!?!
post #1874 of 8537
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by tahoerob
This better!?!?!
Its just that somone will quote three paragraphs worth of text, and then only have a single sentence response. Clutter.
post #1875 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
... three paragraphs worth of text... single sentence response. Clutter.
Disk space is cheap.
Worse is a puzzling reply 15 messages after the original discussion has disappeared... without a quote.
post #1876 of 8537
well well well, it appears that wjla finally did something with 7-2... it's only weather radar, but it's something -
post #1877 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by GreyGhost00
I noticed this a couple of nights ago as well. My uninformed guess is that they are going to do the same thing as WMAR and put their Live SuperDoppler radar on 7-2. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw radar on that channel in the near future.
As I thought ... :D :D

it's cheap programming and heck, even WJLA couldn't screw this up, could they?
post #1878 of 8537
In case anyone hasn't asked them lately I wrote to inquire when they might get more channels....here's the answer (in case anyone really cares):

--------------------------------------------------------------
Original Message Follows:
-------------------------
Comments: When will you have the rest of the currently available in the
marketplace high definition channels in your line-up here? HDNET,
STARZ, etc? As soon as you truly catch up to satellite offerings I will
be switching to full service with you.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Valued Cox Customer:

Thank you for contacting our Cox Northern Virginia Online Customer Care
Team.

We understand your interest in obtaining additional HD channels,
especially HDNET, and Starz. We are sorry, we currently do not have an
estimate of when additional programming will be made available for HD
service. We are presently in negotiations with local providers in an
effort to provide additional channels to our customers. We are looking
to have more HD programming added to our channel lineup soon.

I have also forwarded your request to our marketing department to help
speed up this process and stress the importance of this issue.

If you need additional information on other Cox products or services,
please visit our web site at http://www.cox.com/fairfax.
We hope that we have been able to provide you with the information you
requested. If we have not, or if we can be of any additional service to
you, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

My name is Mirza.
Thank you for choosing Cox Communications, Your Friend in the Digital
Age!

Sincerely,
The Cox Northern Virginia Online Customer Care Team
post #1879 of 8537
WMAR's DD5.1 sound is working again. As somebody mentioned in in earlier post, last night I noticed them running a test of the DD5.1 at about 7:57pm. You could literally hear a voice coming from the rear speakers saying, "six speakers of surround sound" then a tone was sent to each speaker and the subwoofer. Pretty cool...
post #1880 of 8537
Anyone seeing lower levels on WRC-DT Sat night? I'm bouncing from 'Bad' to 'Good' on my Sony 300, and it's usually Normal to Good...
post #1881 of 8537
Thread Starter 
Yeah, WRC-DT has been flakey for me the past few days. I'm getting worried with the Daytona 500 next Sunday. Might have to head over my friend with Comcast house.

Kudos to WJLA on the Super Doppler 7 Radar. Hopefully its up to stay and not just a weekend test. I wonder how long until DD5.1 is available. I've updated the front page with this info.
post #1882 of 8537
I'd have to say that lower levels on any channel last night was due to the wind. I notices a couple dropouts on WJLA which never drops out for me. FOX5, of course, was gone for me, but that's more the norm for me and FOX 5.

Agree on the Super 7 Dopler Radar. That's nice...better than the one on channel 2.
post #1883 of 8537
Ditto on the JLA radar.. hope it stays there.. nice to have it all the time like Doug Hill has at home so he can do the WTOP 'casts in the AM! :)

Two things: why would the radar pix seem to be 'jumping' every ten seconds or so? It should be just a steady pix with the radar line rotating, no?

And, okay, why would the wind have an effect on WRC and WJLA? Are we talking about trees moving around? I don't really have anything in line of sight (except the Dulles traffic...).
post #1884 of 8537
I called the DC CBS affiliate, WUSA, and asked for a waiver to get CBS on Directv. I am a Baltimore resident.

I spoke with Ms. Hicks and she said she had no problem with it. They would send me a written waiver. Baltimore residents should e-mail her with their name and full address to:

dhicks@wusatv9.com

If you are a DC resident, I would not assume that she will give you a waiver. I didn't ask.

Has anyone in Frederick been granted a waiver for WUSA? I can only pick up WRC and WJLA in Frederick.
post #1885 of 8537
I have always assumed that the wind effect was from the trees moving around. Maybe someone knows different.

As for now having anything in the line of sight - it's hard to believe that you're dealing with Dulles airport traffic and that you can see the towers. If you cannot see them, its hard to say, with any certainty, nothing is in the way.
post #1886 of 8537
I just got my HD receiver (Sammy TS360) and connected it to OTA antenna in the attic. Are DC digital locals (4.1, 5.1, 7.1, and 9.1) currently broadcasting in 16:9 or 4:3? It was 16:9 for most of them yesterday (with occasional 4:3 material, like commercials) but now all I can get is 4:3. Is it normal? Do they show any 16:9 now? (I am afraid I changed my initial settings somehow and now all I can see is 4:3 from DC digital locals.)

PS: today is Sunday, 2/8
post #1887 of 8537
Anyone know what is up with WJLA and the NHL All-Star Game? It's not in HD.
post #1888 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by vvrok
I just got my HD receiver (Sammy TS360) and connected it to OTA antenna in the attic. Are DC digital locals (4.1, 5.1, 7.1, and 9.1) currently broadcasting in 16:9 or 4:3? It was 16:9 for most of them yesterday (with occasional 4:3 material, like commercials) but now all I can get is 4:3. Is it normal? Do they show any 16:9 now? (I am afraid I changed my initial settings somehow and now all I can see is 4:3 from DC digital locals.)

PS: today is Sunday, 2/8
These channels are all digital but not all shows are in HD. SO anytime you see 4*3 then it is digital SD. If you see 16*9 then you see HDTV. Usually only the prime time shows are in HD. Checkout Titantv.com for findnig otu what is in HD at any given time. The NHL all star game is HD now on ABC 7.1
post #1889 of 8537
Yes, the NHL All-Stars game is in HD 16:9 on ABC 7.1 now. And it is beautiful...

(So I guess I did not mess my receievr settings after all.)
post #1890 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by vvrok
I just got my HD receiver (Sammy TS360) and connected it to OTA antenna in the attic. Are DC digital locals (4.1, 5.1, 7.1, and 9.1) currently broadcasting in 16:9 or 4:3? It was 16:9 for most of them yesterday (with occasional 4:3 material, like commercials) but now all I can get is 4:3. Is it normal? Do they show any 16:9 now? (I am afraid I changed my initial settings somehow and now all I can see is 4:3 from DC digital locals.)

PS: today is Sunday, 2/8
That's why I kept my Discovery HD channel (I'm on cable). These broadcast stations only air at most 2 hours/day HD material. Rest of time, it is SD upscaled to HD.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV