or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 203  

post #6061 of 8537
My wife just discovered 20 8mm reels of home movies at her parents. Does anyone know a good local source to do a transfer to DVD? Are there transfer technologies to ask for or avoid? I see a lot of place on-line doing a google search - any experience with those? Also, I read some tutorial that you need to create a Digital Master on a MiniDV - any thoughts?

Again, this is way off topic to HD, but I've found this to be the best local source of all things video.

Thanks,
Zebras23
post #6062 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
I think its time for everyone to let WB50 know about these reception issues.

WB50 contact us feedback link

Click on the link and select "Reception/HDTV" and let them know what HDTV tuner you are using, and what problems you are having. With my Dish 6000, I'm getting a black screen, no audio, full signal strength, and the PSIP mapper varies between 50.1 and 51.1.
I sent in a message earlier today and this is the response from Chris Novack their (new) head engineer:

Quote:
We have found that there have been scattered instances of the problem you
describe that was ultimately traced down to a data generator that maps
channel information. The problem was not evident on any of the broadcast
and consumer grade HDTV receivers we use for QC.
The problem is in the process of being corrected.
post #6063 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by lobozooma
Looks like you don't get the HD NBA games from InHD unless your cable provider has NBA TV (which I think carries the SD version of the game). At least that's what this response says (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=467769).

Belcherwm, does Comcast carry the NBA network???

Thanks
Yep. About 12 channels starting at channel 749.
post #6064 of 8537
Thread Starter 
I was robbed! Ken still won on Jeopardy tonight. He did start off losing, so I was pulled in.

Well, WB50 started off a little rough at 8pm, but after what appears to be throwing the SD/HD and Audio/No Audio switches a few times, it appears to working ok.

Finally no audio on MPT-HD for some reason.
post #6065 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott R. Scherr
Did you do a manual scan for additional channels afterwards? It may correct the remapping issue.

Scott
Scott,

Thanks for the idea of the re-scan. That did the trick!
post #6066 of 8537
The three seconds then no picture issue should be fixed for the time being. I received the following response after using their e-mail feedback:

Quote:
We have found that there have been scattered instances of the problem you
describe that was ultimately traced down to a data generator that maps
channel information. The problem was not evident on any of the broadcast
and consumer grade HDTV receivers we use for QC.
The hardware has been taken out of the DTV chain until it can be
reconfigured and fully validated.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Chris Novack
Director of Engineering
post #6067 of 8537
I apologize if this question has already been asked...

I am thinking of going back to my cable service but also adding OTA reception with a separate HD receiver. Can I combine both my cable HD service with OTA HD reception on the same HDTV? If so, what HD receiver would you recommend?

Thanks!
post #6068 of 8537
Quote:
I am thinking of going back to my cable service but also adding OTA reception with a separate HD receiver. Can I combine both my cable HD service with OTA HD reception on the same HDTV? If so, what HD receiver would you recommend?
The short answer is yes, but you should ask this on the general HDTV Hardware forum for better answers from the whole forum instead of just Washington/Baltimore members.
post #6069 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by lobozooma
Looks like you don't get the HD NBA games from InHD unless your cable provider has NBA TV (which I think carries the SD version of the game). At least that's what this response says (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=467769).

Belcherwm, does Comcast carry the NBA network???

Thanks
Unless he is in Anne Arundel or Charles/St. Mary's/Calvert Counties (and that is because I'm not sure about those four), he SHOULD have NBA-TV HD (it will be in the 700 series), as the Unified Lineup (except for the locals) puts NBA-TV and HD in that group (the Baltimore/Washington SuperCluster has pretty much moved to the Unified Lineup).

To get the SD side, he need only be a digital cable subscriber (I live in PG County, and have one set with digital cable, and it does get NBA-TV).

Local blackout rules (and CSNDC HD carriage rules) apply.
post #6070 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl1968
OTA gurus - much researching on my part, but not sure what my next step is to clear OTA HDTV. I just put up a Channel Master 4221 on a 10' pole. I am 12 miles from the major network antennas , straight down Rt 66. On my HD10-250, I am getting 90+ for CH 9, about 70 for CH 4, CH 5 (although 5 is pixelating), and all over the board for CH 7 - as high as 70, bouncing to 25 to 0 and back to 70 again. Am I too close, should I try an atenuator (sp?)? Doubt I need an amplifier, as my cable run is less than 40'. Would a different antenna be the next best step? Wingard 9065??
TIA...
Hey, can some of y'all comment on NiteOwl's post? :) He was over at TC and I said that we were a helpful bunch and pointed him here, and he seems to have been ignored in the rush. I think the 4221's overkill for his location. What think (he's in Fairfax, if it's not clear.)
post #6071 of 8537
Quote:
Hey, can some of y'all comment on NiteOwl's post? He was over at TC and I said that we were a helpful bunch and pointed him here, and he seems to have been ignored in the rush. I think the 4221's overkill for his location. What think (he's in Fairfax, if it's not clear.)
I'm with leesweet's above quote on this one and I would deep-six that 4221 because it has a 45 mile range. If it needs to be a CM, how about a 3014 at about $20 or $25. But at 12 miles, I don't see why an indoor antenna wouldn't do the job.
post #6072 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Johnson
I'm with leesweet's above quote on this one and I would deep-six that 4221 because it has a 45 mile range. If it needs to be a CM, how about a 3014 at about $20 or $25. But at 12 miles, I don't see why an indoor antenna wouldn't do the job.
I am about 4.5 miles from most of the DC towers and am having Fairfax Antenna come out to do an install tomorrow. The installer said he is going to use the CM 4221, while I think this may be overkill, I am going to defer to the professional. Honestly, I don't really care, as long as it works!!

I am currently using a SilverSensor (w/o the base) wedged UNDER my TV stand and it works most of the time. But every once in a while, will crap out on all DC channels! This seems to be happening more often recently. And with 2 kids, it is inevitable that someone is going to move the antenna when I am not looking and my recordings will get messed up.

I have tried three types of indoor antennas and a RS outdoor UHF antenna in the attic, and have no gotten no better results.

BTW, what was the percent discount FA is offering to AVS members? I thought it was 10%, but when I called, the guy quoted 5%?
post #6073 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by EricRobins
I am about 4.5 miles from most of the DC towers and am having Fairfax Antenna come out to do an install tomorrow. The installer said he is going to use the CM 4221, while I think this may be overkill, I am going to defer to the professional. Honestly, I don't really care, as long as it works!!

I am currently using a SilverSensor (w/o the base) wedged UNDER my TV stand and it works most of the time. But every once in a while, will crap out on all DC channels! This seems to be happening more often recently. And with 2 kids, it is inevitable that someone is going to move the antenna when I am not looking and my recordings will get messed up.

I have tried three types of indoor antennas and a RS outdoor UHF antenna in the attic, and have no gotten no better results.

BTW, what was the percent discount FA is offering to AVS members? I thought it was 10%, but when I called, the guy quoted 5%?
Hell, if you are going all out, make sure he tunes in the Baltimore Stations too.
post #6074 of 8537
Wow, at $297.50, Fairfax Antenna really kills their customers on that install. I got my 4221 for $33 delivered from an electronics place in Illinois (got to me in 2 days), and spent about $60 at Radio Shack for a pole, chimney mount and a good coax stripper. If you have a ladder and aren't afraid of heights, you can save a bundle.
.
I am going to pick up an attenuator tomorrow, and hopefully it will stabilize my signal. I will report back once its installed.
.
My issue with an indoor antenna is similar to Eric's, I dont want to have to be moving it to maximize signal quality by channel. I want to get the best signal on all channels locked in so I can set my Tivo and not come home to any surprises. Although, I am sure there will be a hiccup or two from time to time.
post #6075 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl1968
Wow, at $297.50, Fairfax Antenna really kills their customers on that install. I got my 4221 for $33 delivered from an electronics place in Illinois (got to me in 2 days), and spent about $60 at Radio Shack for a pole, chimney mount and a good coax stripper. If you have a ladder and aren't afraid of heights, you can save a bundle.
I dunno, to play the other side, you're in for about $100, so that would be $200 for someone else to climb up the roof, pull out measuring equipment and aim the antenna.

Unless you have measuring equipment you'll be relaying to someone in the house about reception quality while you make adjustments from the roof.

They also have the latitude to try different antennas at your house, explain that you' have multipath issues with 7.1 which is why you're getting the signal bouncing up and down.

I'm all for DIY but just wanted to put in my .02, IMHO mounting and aiming antennas is not fun.
post #6076 of 8537
Again, I have tried different antennas both indoors and in the attic and have had no luck. I am fed up w/ worring about the reliability of my antenna.

yes, I understand that it would be significanlty cheaper to go and buy the antenna, mount and anything else I would need, but at this point, I am willing to pay to make sure its done right. And if it aint done right, I am not going to pay. I will let them know that before he starts any work.

In any event, I did discover that the multiswitch a DirecTV contractor put in my attic (as part of the Movers Program) back in Aug. was a 4x8 not a 5x8 like I was told. Is it worth making is stink over?
post #6077 of 8537
Found out that Comcast in Prince William County for Woodbridge-Dale City is broadcasting only one HD station (NBC - 33.1) and then adding more by end of November, 2004.

Am receiving their unencrypted NBC HD station, via QAM, I have a bunch of other stations that tune in via QAM with ##.## numbers but they are blank for now.

I expect that as they add more local HD I will also get them.
post #6078 of 8537
Eric,

My experience with DTV regarding service problems has always been pretty good. They seem to be extremely customer service oriented, assuming you get a good CSR. Assuming you specifically asked for a 5X8 - which I am guessing you knew you needed to allow upgrade to HD - I would call and tell them that you need a 5X8, and don't expect to pay for it. If the CSR balks, ask to be transferred to Customer Retention - they have more lattitude to keep the customers happy. Good luck...
post #6079 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl1968
Wow, at $297.50, Fairfax Antenna really kills their customers on that install. I got my 4221 for $33 delivered from an electronics place in Illinois (got to me in 2 days), and spent about $60 at Radio Shack for a pole, chimney mount and a good coax stripper. If you have a ladder and aren't afraid of heights, you can save a bundle.
You are exactly right. I have been preaching this mantra since I started posting. Niteowl, if you are not afraid to climb a ladder and have an once of mechanical ability you can do this. It ain't rocket science. You even got a coax stripper to add to your tool collection for use again. Heck with the money you saved you can spring for a couple of Steeler tickets.....I'll go with you.
post #6080 of 8537
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by EricRobins
BTW, what was the percent discount FA is offering to AVS members? I thought it was 10%, but when I called, the guy quoted 5%?
Its always been 5% from Fairfax Ant. I have it on the front page.
post #6081 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by minhi
I dunno, to play the other side, you're in for about $100, so that would be $200 for someone else to climb up the roof, pull out measuring equipment and aim the antenna.
5% of $297.00 that's less than $15.00. Now that's really some serious savings.
post #6082 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
Hey, can some of y'all comment on NiteOwl's post? :) He was over at TC and I said that we were a helpful bunch and pointed him here, and he seems to have been ignored in the rush. I think the 4221's overkill for his location. What think (he's in Fairfax, if it's not clear.)
I'm in Fairfax City (north side) probably closer to 15-16 miles from DC. I have a CM 4221 installed by Fairfax Antenna that locks pretty well on all the OTA signals (NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, PBS, WB). No attenuator. NBC can still be a bit problematic but really just a small amount of pixelation during the afternoon hours. I have the HDTivo and my OTA recordings have been problem free thus far.

However, the guy across the cul de sac from me, with the same setup, has trouble with Fox. Guess is that trees are causing him problems.

Bottom line, don't think the 4221 is overkill, but small variations in location/pointing do make a difference.
post #6083 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by EricRobins

In any event, I did discover that the multiswitch a DirecTV contractor put in my attic (as part of the Movers Program) back in Aug. was a 4x8 not a 5x8 like I was told. Is it worth making is stink over?
I agree with niteowl....D* will make it right if you call.
post #6084 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by steeler
I agree with niteowl....D* will make it right if you call.
I really dont NEED the 5x8, I actually have a dedicated coax line for the antenna. What should I ask for?
post #6085 of 8537
I'd always ask for the 5x8. You may want to distribute the OTA to another HD STB down the road, and then you'd be stuck with getting a replacement multiswitch. Now, it's not that big a deal. The standard is the Terk BMS58, and it's about $70 online (got mine from Solidsignal, others have used eBay...). But, what's okay now with one STB and a 4x8 may not be so a year from now. :)
post #6086 of 8537
Two comments on NiteOwl's issues, one that we've been saying a lot here, and one that we've been saying a lot at TC:

1. It's often worth the $$ to have someone actually walk your roof with the equipment to find the best spot to put the antenna. Digital signals are a lot flakier than analog (and I think he's finding this out). (But if you love DIY and trial and error (as steeler says), go for it! :) )

2. The HD TiVo is prone to be over driven and multipath. That's one reason I was saying the 4221 could be overpowering his receiver where he is. I get everything pretty well even without the amp, and I'm three times further out (approx). But again, each case is different.

NiteOwl, it may be worth it to have FA come out and do the site survey and mount your 4221 on a better mount where they find the best location. Yeah, the antenna is $30. You're paying for the expertise and labor when it comes to this game, not hardware.
post #6087 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by EricRobins
I really dont NEED the 5x8, I actually have a dedicated coax line for the antenna. What should I ask for?
I'm now confused.......If you REALLY don't need the 5x8 don't call. I wouldn't call for the sake of calling just because you feel you got cheated. If you think you might need the 5x8 down the road.... call. Tell D* the installer did not give you the 5x8 the contract called for.
post #6088 of 8537
Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet

1. It's often worth the $$ to have someone actually walk your roof with the equipment to find the best spot to put the antenna. Digital signals are a lot flakier than analog (and I think he's finding this out). (But if you love DIY and trial and error (as steeler says), go for it! :)

NiteOwl, it may be worth it to have FA come out and do the site survey and mount your 4221 on a better mount where they find the best location. Yeah, the antenna is $30. You're paying for the expertise and labor when it comes to this game, not hardware.
leesweet, I respect your opinion and others on this subject. I can see with the number of posts you have authored you have been around this game much longer than me. I just get a little tired and frustrated when people give up on this process (or worse yet don't even try) so easily basically saying it is beyond their talent level to install a TV antenna when in fact it isn't. I would stack my install and results up against any pro install. Am I any smarter or more talented than any one else on this thread.....no....probably dumber. I just try to tell and will continue to tell the competing view on this subject to balance things out.
post #6089 of 8537
Here is email about the WB50 DTV reception problem out here in Winchester/WV:

Quote:
Dear xxxxxx,
There is a low power station that operates on Channel 50 broadcasting from
Martinsburg that is creating interference issues with viewers in the
Winchester area. We are in the process of taking steps to mitigate this
problem.

Chris Novack
Director of Engineering
Washington DC
Tribune Broadcasting
WBDC-TV/DT
2121 Wisconsin AV, NW
Suite 350
Washington DC 20007
202 965-9322 office
202 965-0050 fax
post #6090 of 8537
Well, I will give my opinion on the hdtivo as far as receptions issues go. I have had three stbs + the hdtivo and find the tivo to be inferior (ota tuner) to the other three. It can't handle multipath and has problems with strong and weak signals. I have lost four stations using the tivo. It won't lock on them at all where as the other three lock and breakup on occasion. Again this is just my experience I live far from the transmitters but have access to three different cities. I use the xg91 and a 7775 preamp. I have also tried a cm 4248 and 4221. The xg performs a little better for me. I have done a lot of testing through the years and tried many different setups. If you get a nice clean signal this shouldn't be a concern. Jeff
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV