or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Minneapolis, MN - Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Minneapolis, MN - Comcast - Page 45

post #1321 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesGuy View Post

I agree. DirecTV/Dish have better picture quality and more HD channels in this market than Comcast.

Yep, they do currently....

....but Comcast has more HD channels than DirecTv does in markets where the World of More is complete and the PQ improves significantly as well.
post #1322 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

Yep, they do currently....

....but Comcast has more HD channels than DirecTv does in markets where the World of More is complete and the PQ improves significantly as well.

The picture quality isn't better with Comcast in any of those markets and DirecTV will still have more HD channels once the World of More arrives in St. Paul. DirecTV still has the sports packages in HD which Comcast can't match. DTV is a better fit for me and I'm tired of giving my money to a company like Comcast. Pay more, get less with Comcast. It's Comcastic!

So, I'm done with them.
post #1323 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesGuy View Post

The picture quality isn't better with Comcast in any of those markets and DirecTV will still have more HD channels once the World of More arrives in St. Paul. DirecTV still has the sports packages in HD which Comcast can't match. DTV is a better fit for me and I'm tired of giving my money to a company like Comcast. Pay more, get less with Comcast. It's Comcastic!

So, I'm done with them.

Well, to each their own, we switched back from D* to Comcast HD for a few reasons, major one was tired of the signal dropping out from rain fade & snow on the dish. Would be playing back from the DVR's and parts of the show missing, and of couse don't know it's happening till it's too late.

If I stayed with D* I would have had to spend more for new HD DVR equipment to add more HD's & a new contract with higher monthly costs, and that was after spending $1000 for HD & SD DirectTivo's in 2003, now obsolete door stops. I was done with Direct TV too.

Our Comcast system supplies an outstanding HD picture, and can't beat the features on my two HD TIVO's, and over 100 HD's due 1st of May (over 60 HD's now). I am extremely happy with Comcast and their great HD picture and fast internet with zero issues.

So for each sub Comcast loses, Direct loses one too, just like cell phone co's. No one really cares, it's to each their own, that's why there is competion.

Enjoy your Direct TV when you have to brush off 12" of snow from the dish.
post #1324 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesGuy View Post

The picture quality isn't better with Comcast in any of those markets and DirecTV will still have more HD channels once the World of More arrives in St. Paul.

You don't know that.

Yes, you are right in a way, nobody (cable OR satellite) other than DirecTv has NFL Sunday ticket, but there are many, many, many people that couldn't care less. I'm a big NFL fan but I know I would NEVER order it even if it were available.

Yes, we know, you think ComcastSucks. You say you are moving to DirecTv. Please do.
post #1325 of 2904
A number of unnecessary comments and replies have been deleted and edited. Please use the Report Post button in the future.
post #1326 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

A number of unnecessary comments and replies have been deleted and edited. Please use the Report Post button in the future.

I love it.... a real moderator in action!!!! Thank you Ken
post #1327 of 2904
Hello Ken, Thanks so much for cleaning things up. I just hit the "report button" a couple of minutes ago. Sorry for the trouble.

Us new Twin Cities Folks aren't used to a Forum that actually has Mods.

Really appreciate all you guys do. Thanks for your help. Ray
post #1328 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim-X View Post

That's funny they have a video - What a tricky install it is

You would be surprised by how many people need to have their hands held to do such a simple install like that.
post #1329 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesGuy View Post

The picture quality isn't better with Comcast in any of those markets....

That's a matter of opinion, and although you are entitled to yours, consider this:

Comcast does not additionally compress local HD and at least some national HD channels, at a minimum those would look better than DirecTV.

Further, forum consensus is that right now DirecTV HD is not quite as good as Comcast HD, in areas that have undergone analog reduction. Of course this is subject to change as DTV-12 goes live, Comcast goes SDV, etc.

Quote:


DirecTV will still have more HD channels once the World of More arrives in St. Paul.

Wrong. Once the analog reduction is complete, Comcast has over 100 linear national HD channels. Not premiums, not sports subscriptions; national HD channels. DirecTV has 69.

Quote:


DirecTV still has the sports packages in HD which Comcast can't match.

Correct, and well known.
post #1330 of 2904
Does anyone know once all these HD channels are added will we finally get HD PPV and HD channels added for the sports packages? I'd be more than happy to spend $80 for Direct Kick if the HD feeds are available on Comcast. Otherwise I'll stick with MLS Match Center Online which is $20. Picture quality on the webcast is nearly the same as the standard def broadcast on Direct Kick so why spend the extra $60, right?
post #1331 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

That's a matter of opinion, and although you are entitled to yours, consider this:

Comcast does not additionally compress local HD and at least some national HD channels, at a minimum those would look better than DirecTV.

Further, forum consensus is that right now DirecTV HD is not quite as good as Comcast HD, in areas that have undergone analog reduction. Of course this is subject to change as DTV-12 goes live, Comcast goes SDV, etc.

Wrong. Once the analog reduction is complete, Comcast has over 100 linear national HD channels. Not premiums, not sports subscriptions; national HD channels. DirecTV has 69.

Correct, and well known.


Matter of opinion? Not even close - it's facts not opinion. Where have you seen someone saying comcast hd quality is better than DirecTV? Not even close - I have had both and let me tell you comcast is horrible compare to DirecTV.

Once the analog reduction is complete you think they will have as many channels as DTV? Good Luck -

DirecTV already has a lot of hd capacity and they haven't even lit up D12 yet! Yes DTV has a lot of PPV in HD & Sports but D12 should make way for more national channels. You can't even order a $50 fight in HD on comcrap. I had friends over for a ufc before I had directv and frankly it was embarrassing. It looked horrible on my sammy big screen LCD.

Even when they do add more hd channels - dvrs are going to fill up so fast you are hardly going to be able to record anything. Comcast says they are working on external drive expansion? I have heard this for months and months. Even so mpeg2 fills up a lot faster than mpeg4.

Who sticks up for comcrap hd channels? It's complete garbage compare to what you get with dish. Maybe once the world of less upgrade is done they at least have a little leg 2 stand on but by then D12 will be lit up so back to the drawing board. The DTV commercial pretty much tells it like it is - Good luck with that whole DirecTV HD thing, sounds hard.
post #1332 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim-X View Post

Matter of opinion? Not even close - it's facts not opinion. Where have you seen someone saying comcast hd quality is better than DirecTV? Not even close - I have had both and let me tell you comcast is horrible compare to DirecTV.

Once the analog reduction is complete you think they will have as many channels as DTV? Good Luck -

DirecTV already has a lot of hd capacity and they haven't even lit up D12 yet! Yes DTV has a lot of PPV in HD & Sports but D12 should make way for more national channels. You can't even order a $50 fight in HD on comcrap. I had friends over for a ufc before I had directv and frankly it was embarrassing. It looked horrible on my sammy big screen LCD.

Even when they do add more hd channels - dvrs are going to fill up so fast you are hardly going to be able to record anything. Comcast says they are working on external drive expansion? I have heard this for months and months. Even so mpeg2 fills up a lot faster than mpeg4.

Who sticks up for comcrap hd channels? It's complete garbage compare to what you get with dish. Maybe once the world of less upgrade is done they at least have a little leg 2 stand on but by then D12 will be lit up so back to the drawing board. The DTV commercial pretty much tells it like it is - Good luck with that whole DirecTV HD thing, sounds hard.

Wow. Apparently you're not familiar with Ken H....

Let's see...... should I believe him or you?

You had both DirecTv and Comcast at the same time and you compared the Comcast feed of a local HD channel (WCCO, KARE, etc.) side by side with DirectTv's feed?
post #1333 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoJo View Post

I'm going to get screewed in this. Mostly because Comcast won't do Clear-QAM.

The Local Channels will still be clear QAM per the FAQ's on Comcasts page.

"If you wish to keep access to broadcast HD channels, you can continue to receive the Limited Basic channels (including broadcast HD) without Comcast equipment......As another alternative, some HD television sets have multiple RF inputs and in this case, you could use a splitter on the incoming cable feed."

So it sure sounds like they will have them in the clear still. So that is good news.
post #1334 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by etoop View Post

The Local Channels will still be clear QAM per the FAQ's on Comcasts page.

"If you wish to keep access to broadcast HD channels, you can continue to receive the Limited Basic channels (including broadcast HD) without Comcast equipment......As another alternative, some HD television sets have multiple RF inputs and in this case, you could use a splitter on the incoming cable feed."

So it sure sounds like they will have them in the clear still. So that is good news.

I think you missed the point of RoJo's post. Because comcast refuses to open up ALL Basic2 stations to clear QAM, not just local HD's, he is going to have to fork out even more money to get what he has today. Remember he has 5 LCDs and 1 analog tv. You only get 2 DTAs at no monthly charge. And while some TVs have multiple RF inputs many do not. While laying in bed channel surfing, the last thing I want to do is mess with an A/B switch(or more importantly the wife).
post #1335 of 2904
If Comcast had been a year faster, I'd still be with them. Nothing like a new 60" TV to inspire anti-SD revolt.

I feel like I won my bet. Based on the dates discussed here, I got a year of a heckofalot more HD (we have all the premiums, sports package, and Center Ice) than I could get with Comcast by going to DirecTV. I'll consider going back to Comcast in 2011 when my contract is up depending on factors then. The extra storage on the D* DVRs is a major consideration too, however.
post #1336 of 2904
When the new guide is deployed here (no ETA or firm date yet), the process will delete ALL of your recordings (on purpose).

It is probably a good idea to stay as current as you can on watching your reordings soon after they recorded until this guide update is deployed.

(This applies to the Motorola boxes for sure, I'm not sure on the SA boxes.)
post #1337 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

When the new guide is deployed here (no ETA or firm date yet), the process will delete ALL of your recordings (on purpose).

It is probably a good idea to stay as current as you can on watching your reordings soon after they recorded until this guide update is deployed.

(This applies to the Motorola boxes for sure, I'm not sure on the SA boxes.)

Where did you hear that actual recordings would be lost? I have heard that you may need to re set up series recordings but have not seen anything saying actual recording would be lost.
post #1338 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

Wow. Apparently you're not familiar with Ken H....

Let's see...... should I believe him or you?

You had both DirecTv and Comcast at the same time and you compared the Comcast feed of a local HD channel (WCCO, KARE, etc.) side by side with DirectTv's feed?


Believe? I'm not trying to do any convincing here - I'm telling it how it is. If you wanna live in your fantasy world thinking comcast has such great hd pq then you go ahead and stay in that world because it just isn't the case. Sure the local comcast hd channels looked great and probably still do but big deal, they provide local channels that look good when all the other channels look like they are being streamed via dial-up compare to dtv.

Just to name a few I notice a HUGE improvement on after I left comcrap - Universal HD, USA HD and Discovery HD. Those are just to name a few - comcrap these channels were so pixilated and crappy it was a joke compare to dtv. Like I said, those are just some of the channels I use to watch a lot so I noticed those right away. Overall pq is still much improved. My locals look fine from DTV and so what, comcast had good local channels.

There is nothing to believe here, set up comcrap and DTV side by side on a nice hdtv and you will be singing a different tune real quick. If you wanna keep your crappy quality service, go right ahead. I'll continue to watch all the nba games and ufc fights in HD which u don't have access to as well a nice helping of national channels.
post #1339 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim-X View Post

Believe? I'm not trying to do any convincing here - I'm telling it how it is. If you wanna live in your fantasy world thinking comcast has such great hd pq then you go ahead and stay in that world because it just isn't the case. Sure the local comcast hd channels looked great and probably still do but big deal, they provide local channels that look good when all the other channels look like they are being streamed via dial-up compare to dtv.

Just to name a few I notice a HUGE improvement on after I left comcrap - Universal HD, USA HD and Discovery HD. Those are just to name a few - comcrap these channels were so pixilated and crappy it was a joke compare to dtv. Like I said, those are just some of the channels I use to watch a lot so I noticed those right away. Overall pq is still much improved. My locals look fine from DTV and so what, comcast had good local channels.

There is nothing to believe here, set up comcrap and DTV side by side on a nice hdtv and you will be singing a different tune real quick. If you wanna keep your crappy quality service, go right ahead. I'll continue to watch all the nba games and ufc fights in HD which u don't have access to as well a nice helping of national channels.

Jimminy Christmas, your reading comprehension needs work apparently. Ken is saying that locals have better PQ than DirecTv now (because they are not compressed), and that the other HD channels will likely have the same or better PQ when the World of More is complete here. We agree that the non-local HD channels PQ is now probably not as good as DirecTv.

Nobody is saying what you are arguing on the other side of.

Also, I couldn't care less about NBA games or UFC fights. Why do you seem to believe that the things that are important for you watch are the same for everybody else?
post #1340 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn23 View Post

I think you missed the point of RoJo's post. Because comcast refuses to open up ALL Basic2 stations to clear QAM, not just local HD's, he is going to have to fork out even more money to get what he has today. Remember he has 5 LCDs and 1 analog tv. You only get 2 DTAs at no monthly charge. And while some TVs have multiple RF inputs many do not. While laying in bed channel surfing, the last thing I want to do is mess with an A/B switch(or more importantly the wife).


Gotcha....I thought he was saying nothing was going to be free and clear.

I've seen so many posts in various forums that Comcast was going to be encrypting everything after WOM was live. I would prefer my HDHomerun to be on Comcast vs OTA still
post #1341 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom View Post

Where did you hear that actual recordings would be lost? I have heard that you may need to re set up series recordings but have not seen anything saying actual recording would be lost.

I was going by this post:

"I got a message that tomorrow all of my favorites and recordings will be lost due to an update tonight, does anybody know what that means? Am I going to get any new channels from this "update"?"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post17951869

I guess this person might have meant program series recordings -- not actaul recordings of programs.
post #1342 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

I was going by this post:

"I got a message that tomorrow all of my favorites and recordings will be lost due to an update tonight, does anybody know what that means? Am I going to get any new channels from this "update"?"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post17951869

I guess this person might have meant program series recordings -- not actaul recordings of programs.

Yes, after checking with some people I know, it only affects scheduled recordings not actual recordings. I have also been told it may not affect scheduled recording from all channels, just those that have changes made to them on the back end.
post #1343 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom View Post

Yes, after checking with some people I know, it only affects scheduled recordings not actual recordings. I have also been told it may not affect scheduled recording from all channels, just those that have changes made to them on the back end.

Cool, thanks, hom-y!
post #1344 of 2904
Another question - does anybody know the frequency of the VCT_ID for the DTA boxes here? I am assuming people who have picked up the DTA's are able to connect and work with them. What channel (physical) are they getting the channel (virtual) lineup info on?
post #1345 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

Jimminy Christmas, your reading comprehension needs work apparently. Ken is saying that locals have better PQ than DirecTv now (because they are not compressed), and that the other HD channels will likely have the same or better PQ when the World of More is complete here. We agree that the non-local HD channels PQ is now probably not as good as DirecTv.

Nobody is saying what you are arguing on the other side of.

Also, I couldn't care less about NBA games or UFC fights. Why do you seem to believe that the things that are important for you watch are the same for everybody else?


Probably? If you ever get a chance to see them side by side on the same tv you will be like wow. Even when (or should I say if) comcast ever completes this thing they should have been completed ages ago. Once they get this thing done DTV will still have double amount of channels and comcast will prop be full. Then they are going to have to go to all mpeg4 instead and it will be YEARS before you see this. Only thing I really miss about comcast was on demand which I actually run DTV on demand over comcast network. It's not as good as comcast but DTV is light years ahead. Plus the new hd tivo will be rolling out hopefully soon. Comcast will always be playing catchup.
post #1346 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim-X View Post

Comcast will always be playing catchup.

Possibly, but the history suggests there is a point where it doesn't matter much to the vast majority of people for a variety of reasons. I made my move at a time when locally D* had about a 2-1 advantage in HD channels (if you went full package, and not counting regionals). That kind of advantage will likely never exist again after WoM is complete. There simply isn't enough marginal (i.e. above and beyond what is already available today) content out there period, let alone content that large numbers of people would care enough about to make a move over.

Sure, D* isn't going anywhere --they were a successful company before the HD switchover. There will always be people who prefer it --or even flat-out need it. But this last two years was their golden "make hay while the sun shines" period, and it is coming to an end by probably 1H 2011. Enjoy it, D*, you'll look back fondly someday.
post #1347 of 2904
Does anyone know with certainty if the Comcast's new DTA's output will contain stereo sound? Many cable set top boxes don't have stereo sound on their modulated outputs (stereo is more typically available from them only if you use their R/L outputs, of which the new DTA ain't got none!)
post #1348 of 2904
Another question, can you control all functions on these with universal remotes? I use Harmony's on 3 different setups, one of which does not include a DVR or other Comcast box.
post #1349 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Ziegler View Post

Does anyone know with certainty if the Comcast's new DTA's output will contain stereo sound? Many cable set top boxes don't have stereo sound on their modulated outputs (stereo is more typically available from them only if you use their R/L outputs, of which the new DTA ain't got none!)

I'm not sure anyone has the DTA converters. I asked a few pages back if they output anamorphic Wide Screen (instead of letterboxed WS) but didn't get an answer, stereo audio is a good question too.
I'm guessing they're just mono and letterboxed but a confirmation would be nice. Extra DTAs are supposed to be $1.99, I wonder how much more a real (A/V out) STB would be. Don't care about HD(will just be feeding a SD DVDR) but anamorphic WS and stereo audio would be a must.
post #1350 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I'm not sure anyone has the DTA converters.

A model number would help a lot. I'm seeing in other threads that people are getting the Thomson DCI1011 DTA recently in other locations. Can anyone confirm or deny?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Minneapolis, MN - Comcast