or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Minneapolis, MN - Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Minneapolis, MN - Comcast - Page 94

post #2791 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhamp View Post

Comcast is coming out today to install the new X1 and 2nd box. I also signed up for the home security package at the State Fair, the way everything is bundled it was the best deal. They gave me a 2 hour window - we will see if they can get it all done in that time!
Maple Grove by the way.
How much did they quote you for the triple play deal. I was told $139, but others seem to have gotten it for less.
post #2792 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM in MN View Post

Already have 2 DVRs with 2 tuners each. Can only pause live TV on the DVR, right? Don't want to give up any functionality. Have become accustomed to 2.

I can only speak to how Tivo works. With Tivo I can pause live TV on any Tivo device, either a Roamio, Mini, or Streaming to an iPad.

I would hope that Xfinity would do the same, as I believe the multiroom solutions from the dish companies have done this for years.
post #2793 of 2904
If anybody cares....called Comcast twice to order X1 multiple DVRs. Used their 'call back' feature to avoid the call queue, each time they called back and disconnected me going to a rep.

Called Tuesday, got a guy that told me I can have 3 dvrs and save money! Great! Took time off work to meet installer guy who shows up with one dvr and says this is all the local system can technically handle right now, one per house. It's not a supply issue, it's a tech issue. No idea when that'll change. Wunnerful.
post #2794 of 2904
The end of Clear QAM digital cable in the Twin Cities is near! I just received my Comcast invoice and page 3 has a notice about starting to encrypt Limited Basic Service on November 19th, 2013. We have 5 HDTV's in our house receiving Local HD channels via Clear QAM for the $12.37/month Basic Service charge. Due to the new digital adapter requirement, it will now be very costly and inconvenient to continue receiving the same service on all HDTV's. Looks like it's time to go OTA!!
post #2795 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotomn View Post

The end of Clear QAM digital cable in the Twin Cities is near! I just received my Comcast invoice and page 3 has a notice about starting to encrypt Limited Basic Service on November 19th, 2013. We have 5 HDTV's in our house receiving Local HD channels via Clear QAM for the $12.37/month Basic Service charge. Due to the new digital adapter requirement, it will now be very costly and inconvenient to continue receiving the same service on all HDTV's. Looks like it's time to go OTA!!

My bill states this too. I guess it's about time to change my HDHomeruns to use OTA and/or replace them with more cablecard tuners. This sucks.
post #2796 of 2904
Hey everybody, everyone that is with Comcast I've been able to talk to says multiple X1 hubs aren't possible, does anybody in the metro have more than one??
post #2797 of 2904
Isn't that the way the system is designed? To have one hub with multiple extenders?
post #2798 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post

Isn't that the way the system is designed? To have one hub with multiple extenders?

I've heard that, but as you can't pause/rewind live TV you lose functionality swapping a `real' DVR for an extender, as you put it. Competitors offer multiple DVRs. There are Comcast customers that have gotten multiple X1 `hubs'.

My suspicion based on my research is that they rolled this out allowing multiple hubs, but.there have been issues related to that and many, many more issues with X1 in general than they anticipated. I suspect these will be fixed at some point but right the early adopters of X1 aren't pleased. At all.

I think I'll wait 3-6 months and see what it looks like then.
post #2799 of 2904
Is Comcast eventually going to offer the X1 platform to customers that don't have voice, or are we stuck with legacy boxes forever?
post #2800 of 2904
I suppose I'll be asking this every week or two til things change, so here goes.

Has anybody in the Metro gotten multiple X1 hubs from Comcast yet?

Also --- anybody know what the technical issue is that has prevented this from happening here so far? It's `allowed' in other markets.
post #2801 of 2904
Jon, I'm wondering the same. Unless and until comcast is willing to allow the multiple hubs, I'm not giving up my 2 RNG200N's to install one X1 with child boxes on the remaining TV's. I suppose it will eventually be allowed...and it may be the decision of the individual installer. But I'm not going with it unless it can be done.
post #2802 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchr View Post

Jon, I'm wondering the same. Unless and until comcast is willing to allow the multiple hubs, I'm not giving up my 2 RNG200N's to install one X1 with child boxes on the remaining TV's. I suppose it will eventually be allowed...and it may be the decision of the individual installer. But I'm not going with it unless it can be done.

Maybe you read my saga above, but I called and was told no, called back and told yes, got an installer out that had one hub and turned him away. He said it's a local issue. Last night was one of the nights it would have really come in handy, lots of TV shows and the Wild game on.

My wife's cousin is a mid level tech person and swore to me X1 is ONE HUB ONLY. Except...in the Comcast X1 FAQs they state specifically it depends on area. Lots of Comcast confusion here, on stuff that rolled out nearly a year ago.
post #2803 of 2904
Not to belabor this...but I'm in a technical field, in the IT business...it just doesn't make sense to me that `some' systems can do it and some can't...some apparently can also mix X1 with the old Moto boxes too. Very strange.
post #2804 of 2904
I have the new X1 system, and it's been buggy as heck. Tonight, the main box went dead several hours ago and the secondary boxes froze on one channel. And you can't get through on the phone! Heard this might be a national failure--they better give everyone a day's credit to make up for this epic fail!
post #2805 of 2904
So, here's the mid-October edition of my plea --- anybody get more than one X1 hub out of Comcast yet?
post #2806 of 2904

At this point, you will only be able to get one X1 box.  The company doesn't have enough in stock.  To the person that asked about people being able to get X1 without triple play, it will be possible in the future, it is for the same reason.  They have stopped all major advertising for the service because of the shortage.  We get 100 boxes in, and they are out the door in a matter of hours.  

post #2807 of 2904
Thanks for the response. I'm just as curious as Jon. It's likely you have no idea when supply will catch up with demand but - If I ordered X1 installation now and they brought out one X1 box, would Comcast allow me to keep the other 2 RNG DVR (and pay for them, of course) on my account until I can swap them out for additional X1's?

I can live with the shortage of one X1, but I don't want child boxes on the other 2 DVR Tv's...
post #2808 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Employee View Post

At this point, you will only be able to get one X1 box.  The company doesn't have enough in stock.  To the person that asked about people being able to get X1 without triple play, it will be possible in the future, it is for the same reason.  They have stopped all major advertising for the service because of the shortage.  We get 100 boxes in, and they are out the door in a matter of hours.  

Thanks for replying...hmm. Why do the Comcast FAQs imply it's a technical issue? Why has every Comcast employee I've spoken with til now tell me it's a technical problem, not supply? I hope you're right, I can live with and accept that explanation, but why haven't I heard that from anybody else?
post #2809 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchr View Post

Thanks for the response. I'm just as curious as Jon. It's likely you have no idea when supply will catch up with demand but - If I ordered X1 installation now and they brought out one X1 box, would Comcast allow me to keep the other 2 RNG DVR (and pay for them, of course) on my account until I can swap them out for additional X1's?

I can live with the shortage of one X1, but I don't want child boxes on the other 2 DVR Tv's...

I too would gladly accept this as an interim solution. Give me one X1 and a satellite box for my BR, let me keep my Moto DVR in my LL. But, again, I've heard it's a technical issue here locally, that it can't be done here when it's been done elsewhere.

I still get the feeling Comcast employees are as confused about this as their customers, maybe more.
post #2810 of 2904

I personally saw it working in our office.  I don't personally know of any technical problem, unless something has changed in the past 3-4 months since they showed it to us in a training before it was launched.  As for using the existing boxes with the X1 boxes, that I can't answer.  I will can find out and let you know though.

 

Here is a brief article on the shortages of the boxes: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Source-Pace-Set-Top-Issues-to-Blame-for-Comcast-X1-Shortage-126280

post #2811 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Employee View Post

I personally saw it working in our office.  I don't personally know of any technical problem, unless something has changed in the past 3-4 months since they showed it to us in a training before it was launched.  As for using the existing boxes with the X1 boxes, that I can't answer.  I will can find out and let you know though.

Here is a brief article on the shortages of the boxes: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Source-Pace-Set-Top-Issues-to-Blame-for-Comcast-X1-Shortage-126280

Thanks for the reply and the link, I appreciate that.
post #2812 of 2904
I am sick of waiting for the X1 boxes. I do not need their phone service, nor do I need a security service. Dish and DirecTv are not options for me. I wonder when Fios or AT&T U-Verse will become available in the Southwest Metro.
post #2813 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclfoxtrot View Post

I am sick of waiting for the X1 boxes. I do not need their phone service, nor do I need a security service. Dish and DirecTv are not options for me. I wonder when Fios or AT&T U-Verse will become available in the Southwest Metro.

Most likely - never.
post #2814 of 2904
I tweeted at @comcastcares and got a reply....there's a link to go to get an email when X1 boxes come back in stock: http://www.comcast.com/x1comingsoon


So, there's that.
post #2815 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclfoxtrot View Post

I am sick of waiting for the X1 boxes. I do not need their phone service, nor do I need a security service. Dish and DirecTv are not options for me. I wonder when Fios or AT&T U-Verse will become available in the Southwest Metro.

Never. AT&T and Verizon both agreed to stop rolling out their TV and Internet services for different reasons. Verizon, I believe, agreed to do so in order to get Android. AT&T stopped because the venture wasn't profitable. I don't think either will be starting up their expansions any time soon. Part of that is due to the mandate that they provide services to entire communities (not just dense areas).

Our best hope is Google Fiber, but I don't think they have plans to go this far north. Who knows, depending on how that goes, I'm sure they could change their minds.
post #2816 of 2904
Continuing to tweet @comcastcares, according to (them) there is no technical issue locally with either multiple DVRs or with co-mingling of X1 boxes and Moto boxes in the same house. Supplies should be up `soon', nationally.
post #2817 of 2904
Gotta love monopolies. Such a huge benefit to consumers everywhere.
post #2818 of 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM in MN View Post

I tweeted at @comcastcares and got a reply....there's a link to go to get an email when X1 boxes come back in stock: http://www.comcast.com/x1comingsoon


So, there's that.

Thanks. I emailed them as well.

Yesterday's Star and Tribune had a half page advertisement for the X1 on back of the A section. So, they're still in full marketing mode despite shortages...
post #2819 of 2904
Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner.  I spoke to a person that is much more knowledgeable with the X1 system than I.
 
Their are a couple of houses that have more than 1 X1 box in their house in the twin cities.  They were "special situations" however, everyone locally that had access to install the codes into the billing system to do this have had that option taken away from them.  The only people that have access to do it now are people in the division office in Denver.   
 
To the question, can you get an X1 DVR and a "legacy" DVR, that is no.  It is for no other reason than policy.  
 
As far as when supply will be better, they are hoping before February.  
 
Sorry I couldnt give you better news.  
post #2820 of 2904

I don't know what happen with the last message, but here is what I was trying to say.

 

Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner.  I spoke to a person that is much more knowledgeable with the X1 system than I.

 

Their are a couple of houses that have more than 1 X1 box in their house in the twin cities.  They were "special situations" however, everyone locally that had access to install the codes into the billing system to do this have had that option taken away from them.  The only people that have access to do it now are people in the division office in Denver.   

 

To the question, can you get an X1 DVR and a "legacy" DVR, that is no.  It is for no other reason than policy.  

 

As far as when supply will be better, they are hoping before February.  

 

Sorry I couldnt give you better news.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Minneapolis, MN - Comcast