or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Boston, MA - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boston, MA - OTA - Page 236

post #7051 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

HighDefGirl

Very simple go to BB get a Zenith silver sensor it is around 20-25.00 screw it in to the ant port on the back of the tv run a scan for the local channels and you should be good to go. If you run a scan and only get a couple of channels move the anntena and try again.

Good Luck

Also, if you use the map feature on antennaweb you should be able to get a rough idea of which direction you should be pointing the antenna from your building. Find a good place for it and then just rotate it little by little and test the signal using your tv.
post #7052 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbulla View Post

Hi Guys -

Sorry for jumping into your thread from down here in MD, but we're having an issue with a Hearst station in Baltimore. They are claiming that they are stretching their 4:3 pictures to 16:9 (making everything short and fat) because it "is a corporate policy" to do so.

I was wondering if WCVB in Boston did the same thing, since it's a Hearst station.

Thanks for any info!

Mark

WCVB, WMUR (New Hampshire), WMTW (Maine) are all Hearst owned and do not stretch their picture
post #7053 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by nheagle View Post

WCVB, WMUR (New Hampshire), WMTW (Maine) are all Hearst owned and do not stretch their picture

Thanks for all of the replies. We figured that they were giving us a line of bull, but it's great to have ammo to back us up!

Thanks again -

Mark
post #7054 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYankowitz View Post

Your analysis is a good guess, and almost correct. WBZ-DT (and most of the other Boston DTV stations) transmits both analog and digital captions. WSBK-DT is only transmitting analog captions. There is no digital closed-caption signal transmitted for WSBK-DT.

Some sets, such as a JVC we have at the TV station, have a Closed Caption menu with a choice of caption types. On the JVC, the types are Basic, Advanced, and Auto, which correspond to analog, digital, and both. In the case of Auto, or both, the digital caption will be displayed if present, otherwise the analog, if present. It appears to me your set is locked on the digital captions. The menu where you can change this may be hidden in a different location than the one you have described, as it is in the JVC (it is under the "Initial Setup" menu).

One more point. I have a Sony HDTV set-top box which behaves strangely with some captions. When it detects digital captions it will display them, but turning the caption setting to off will display analog captions! The only way to turn captions off entirely is to set the box to display an unused caption format, such as "Service 2" (the digital equivalent of CC2). Your set may be equally quirky, so you may have to experiment.

Good hunting!

Well, I've been hunting for it, as you say. I've been 'round and 'round the remote, the menus, and the manual, upside down and backwards, and I'm now feeling quite confident that, short of venturing into the factory service mode, which would most likely void the warranty, it is impossible to view closed captions on WSBK-DT using an LG 37LC2D HDTV.

So the question then is who dropped the ball? Did LG make a television which doesn't meet FCC specifications? Or does WSBK-DT's captioning signal not meet FCC specifications? Or did the FCC enact a set of regulations which is insufficient to prevent this sort of incompatibility?

This is quite the disappointment, as a member of my family is hard of hearing, and relies heavily on closed captioning, while others, myself included, have come to find it useful when people on-screen are mumbling.
post #7055 of 10632
Hey guys, anyone know anyone at WBZ? CBS has the rights to carry Star Trek:TOS (The Original Series) in HD starting Sept 16th, and we should urge them (nicely but strongly) to add it to their lineup.

I really don't care if they air it at 2am. That's what DVRs are for.
post #7056 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Hey guys, anyone know anyone at WBZ? CBS has the rights to carry Star Trek:TOS (The Original Series) in HD starting Sept 16th, and we should urge them (nicely but strongly) to add it to their lineup.

I really don't care if they air it at 2am. That's what DVRs are for.


WCVB Sept. 17 2:35-3:35 AM "Balance of Terror" Fire up the DVR's. HD may be a pipe dream since satellite delivery is through HD unfriendly Pathfire.
post #7057 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster0 View Post

WCVB Sept. 17 2:35-3:35 AM "Balance of Terror" Fire up the DVR's. HD may be a pipe dream since satellite delivery is through HD unfriendly Pathfire.

Oops. WCVB gets it because they carried Enterprise. Someone want to give them a call?
post #7058 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcWalpole View Post

Didn't watch last night's game on FOX, but I had been having the same problems as you with 25.1 (see other posts in this thread; FOX is xmitting at very limited power)...bought a ChannelMaster pre-amp and that solved the low signal problem!

Anyone know the current status of 25.1 (WFXT)? I'm still getting issues with intermittent signal. How long will Fox be transmitting as very limited power? If it's for a long time, I may need to get a pre-amp.

What ChannelMaster pre-amp is recommended for an indoor antenna? I'm already using a ChannelMaster CM-3044 distribution amplifier with my Terk HDTVa to split my antenna 3 ways.

I appreciate your help.
post #7059 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahos81 View Post

Anyone know the current status of 25.1 (WFXT)? I'm still getting issues with intermittent signal. How long will Fox be transmitting as very limited power? If it's for a long time, I may need to get a pre-amp.

What ChannelMaster pre-amp is recommended for an indoor antenna? I'm already using a ChannelMaster CM-3044 distribution amplifier with my Terk HDTVa to split my antenna 3 ways.

i am in cambridge, also and i get strong signals on the other major networks plus 38 and 56, but i haven't ever been able to pick up fox25 reliably. i have a preamp. for brief periods, the signal will seem strong, but it always breaks up after a short time. perhaps cambridge is a "bad spot" for their antenna? i don't know.
post #7060 of 10632
I was in Belmont and reliably recieving Fox via only the Terk HDTVa. Since moving to Somerville I have trouble getting a reliable signal. However I have not played with position of the antenna much and I'll share if I get any improvement and how much.

Does anyone know if it is possible to transmit the antenna signal over the same wire as cable and have both signals stay seperate? Or are they using the same bandwidth range?
post #7061 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post

Does anyone know if it is possible to transmit the antenna signal over the same wire as cable and have both signals stay seperate? Or are they using the same bandwidth range?

It won't work because cable does use part of the over-the-air frequency range. You can see this by connecting cable to a TV without a converter box.
post #7062 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdicamillo View Post

It won't work because cable does use part of the over-the-air frequency range. You can see this by connecting cable to a TV without a converter box.

Thanks I figured as much...I had just been hoping it'd be an easy way to get a wire upstairs in my apt by using the existing internal cable wiring.
post #7063 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahos81 View Post

Anyone know the current status of 25.1 (WFXT)? I'm still getting issues with intermittent signal. How long will Fox be transmitting as very limited power? If it's for a long time, I may need to get a pre-amp.

What ChannelMaster pre-amp is recommended for an indoor antenna? I'm already using a ChannelMaster CM-3044 distribution amplifier with my Terk HDTVa to split my antenna 3 ways.

I appreciate your help.

Using the CM7775, available at SolidSignal.com and elewhere....
post #7064 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahos81 View Post

Anyone know the current status of 25.1 (WFXT)? I'm still getting issues with intermittent signal. How long will Fox be transmitting as very limited power? If it's for a long time, I may need to get a pre-amp.

What ChannelMaster pre-amp is recommended for an indoor antenna? I'm already using a ChannelMaster CM-3044 distribution amplifier with my Terk HDTVa to split my antenna 3 ways.

I appreciate your help.

I use the CM4228 in the attic with no amp and get 25.1 perfectly down in Plymouth. I am on a hill.
post #7065 of 10632
From Lunenburg I had a UHF atenna installed and get beautiful pictures on 2-1, 2-2, 4-1, 4-2, 5-1, 5-2, 7-1, 7-2, 9-1, 12-1, 25-1, 38-1, 44-1, 44-2, 44-3, 44-4, 50-1, 56-1, 56-2, 68-1, 68-2, and 68-3. I also get some Spanish channels, but as I don't speak Spanish I have then delisted. My AT9 dish doesn't get them without occaisonal pixilation. D* can't seem to find a tech that can fix the pixilation problem.
post #7066 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by pato_ma View Post

From Lunenburg I had a UHF atenna installed and get beautiful pictures on 2-1, 2-2, 4-1, 4-2, 5-1, 5-2, 7-1, 7-2, 9-1, 12-1, 25-1, 38-1, 44-1, 44-2, 44-3, 44-4, 50-1, 56-1, 56-2, 68-1, 68-2, and 68-3. I also get some Spanish channels, but as I don't speak Spanish I have then delisted. My AT9 dish doesn't get them without occaisonal pixilation. D* can't seem to find a tech that can fix the pixilation problem.


Your AT9 Dish has nothing do do with getting these OTA channels and D* would/should have nothing do wo with troubleshooting them.

Are you saying the receiver is breaking up? If so how are you determining that the channels come in 'beautiful' in the first place?
post #7067 of 10632
D* is supposed to provide the locals in HD through the AT9 and H20 receiver and they do, but there is pixilation on 4, 5, 7, and 25. I therefore had a UHF antenna installed to get these channels. I now get those channels and some more beautifully with no pixilation. D* has sent two techs to the house in an attempt to solve the problem of pixilation and neither was successful.
post #7068 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by pato_ma View Post

D* is supposed to provide the locals in HD through the AT9 and H20 receiver and they do, but there is pixilation on 4, 5, 7, and 25. I therefore had a UHF antenna installed to get these channels. I now get those channels and some more beautifully with no pixilation. D* has sent two techs to the house in an attempt to solve the problem of pixilation and neither was successful.

Are you getting pixelization? Or are you seeing the D* MPEG4 motion jitter/shimmer? If its the latter, its not a problem at your end. I seems to be particularly bad with football games!
post #7069 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by pato_ma View Post

D* is supposed to provide the locals in HD through the AT9 and H20 receiver and they do, but there is pixilation on 4, 5, 7, and 25. I therefore had a UHF antenna installed to get these channels. I now get those channels and some more beautifully with no pixilation. D* has sent two techs to the house in an attempt to solve the problem of pixilation and neither was successful.

If the problem is bit-grooming (i.e. reducing bandwithd), then it is not surprising that they were unable to solve the problem at your house

- Rich
post #7070 of 10632
I don't know what jitter is, but some of it could be shimmer. I do on occasion get single band rectangles. After the installation two weeks ago I got 4X5 rectangles of red or green and a 2X18 vertical bar of yellow, but they haven't reappeared lately. I also don't have a clue what bitgrooming is or how to fix it. I do have another appointment with a techie? on Monday who is supposed to be an expert on Ku/Ka. Any ideas on what I should tell him in regard to bitgrooming?
post #7071 of 10632
W/ regards to the OTA-HD WFXT Fox-25 discussion before, I found that moving my antenna around the room at my new apartment in Somerville (Davis/Tufts area, 1st floor, Terk HDTVa, indoors) I was able to get anywhere from 0% signal to 92% signal

I just put it on a long cable and moved it around the room, then focused on moving it around the wall about 7 to 8 ft in the air and eventually found a great position where the girlfriend had no issues with me installing a small shelf and using white RG-6 to setup the antenna.
post #7072 of 10632
Is WOF or Jeopardy in HD in the boston market? I wasn't home last night to check...
post #7073 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by petelang View Post

Is WOF or Jeopardy in HD in the boston market? I wasn't home last night to check...

Do we really need or want to see Vanna White and Alex Trebek (is he still hosting Jeopardy?) in HD at this point???

FWIW, both are listed as HD for tonight in my program listings for 38.
post #7074 of 10632
All,

Did WGBH-DT make a change to their PSIP programming recently?

The reason I ask: A few months ago when I got my TV (a HLS-4666W DLP from Sansung), I could not tune in WGBX-DT (44.1) via OTA. When I did, my TV would endlessly reboot. At that time, I thought it was OK because I never watched that channel. Removing it from my channel manager solved the reboot problem at that time.

Just a couple of days ago, the exact same issue is now occurring for me on WGBH-DT (2.1). WGBH is a channel that I really want to watch, so removing it from my channel manager is not an option.

I called Samsung tech support today. The first level support guy said he'd never heard of such an issue and forwarded me to 2nd level support. The 2nd level support tech knew exactly what my problem was. He said that the station was using an old version of PSIP which was causing the TV to reboot. He said there was no way to fix this issue. He told me that I must take this issue up with the station.

What?!>!?!?! I spent over $1000 on this TV and I can't watch certain stations?

Also, WGBH worked great for months. Why would they suddenly 'downgrade' their PSIP?

My question to you all: does anyone know about this PSIP issue, and does anyone know of a technician I can contact at WGBH to inquire about their PSIP versioning?

If this issue can't be resolved, I'll be sending the TV back and not recommending Samsung to anyone.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-BL
post #7075 of 10632
Interesting! My Vizio TV doesn't recognize channel 2.1 or 2.2, but the 44's come in fine. When I run the OTA signal through my HD20-100 receiver the 2's come in fine. I'd also be interested in why the TV's don't accept the signal.
post #7076 of 10632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Leveille View Post

I called Samsung tech support today. The first level support guy said he'd never heard of such an issue and forwarded me to 2nd level support. The 2nd level support tech knew exactly what my problem was. He said that the station was using an old version of PSIP which was causing the TV to reboot. He said there was no way to fix this issue. He told me that I must take this issue up with the station.

That's not really an acceptable response from Samsung. Even if the station is transmitting absolute junk, it's no excuse for the TV to constantly reboot - the software in the TV should be designed to handle bad data gracefully. If the station is sending valid PSIP data, even if it's "an old version" then it's not even remotely fair to put the blame on the station.

Quote:


What?!>!?!?! I spent over $1000 on this TV and I can't watch certain stations?

Not to belittle your purchase, but should those of us who paid much more than $1000 be really irrate? What was paid for the TV is really irrelevant to the discussion. If you paid $300 for it, it's still perfectly reasonable to expect it to work properly.

Quote:


My question to you all: does anyone know about this PSIP issue, and does anyone know of a technician I can contact at WGBH to inquire about their PSIP versioning?

If this issue can't be resolved, I'll be sending the TV back and not recommending Samsung to anyone.

Quote honestly while it wouldn't be a bad idea to contact WGBH and see if they might be aware of a problem I'd go with plan B and return the TV if you have the option. Samsung's response to your problem is completely unreasonable. Certainly for the time being stations aren't always going to have their signals operating 100% correctly at all times and the TV shouldn't go crazy and start rebooting on you just because it received some screwy (or valid but not to their liking) data. Also consider this - if WGBH changes their signal so it will work with your TV, who's to say it won't screw up my TV (or someone else's)?
post #7077 of 10632
FYI - I have a Samsung 42" DLP and I have no problems with 'GBH's HD stations.
I did have an audio problem a while back and talked to someone in the engineering dept (can't remember the name....lucky if I remember yesterday), and they were very cooperative and the problem was resolved.
post #7078 of 10632
Are other people still having issues with WFXT??? I am now getting signals consistently in the high 80's low 90's at about 28/29 db but occassionally the signal drops to 0%/0db and then comes back a couple seconds later. Any one else experiencing similar?
post #7079 of 10632
this is probably unrelated, but when I watch fox HD on RCN (using a QAM tuner no box) it occasionally skips and gets blocky, like it was losing signal (over cable mind you). espically when watching SD content, watching house the other night, the end of the simpsons and the first few minutes of the show, all messed up, after that it was fine
post #7080 of 10632
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Boston, MA - OTA