or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs › What are they thinking over there at ReplayTV???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are they thinking over there at ReplayTV??? - Page 5  

post #121 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech
Really? Where do you get the idea that "many if not most" have unusable products since 5.0? If you are relying on the venting you read on this board to determine that "many if not most" are having troubles, then you are working with a faulty data-set.
If you don't accept "most", you can't deny "many" based on the so-called "faulty data-set".

People asking for solutions to problems is not venting. The frustrated responses that follow when the problems continue unresolved may constitute venting but does not invalidate the issues raised.
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech
Mostly you will hear from people here who are having troubles rather than a true sample across the whole user base.
Mostly I hear from people here who are above average in techie awareness. I suppose that a true sample across the whole user base just returns the faulty unit and has no awareness of this board at all.
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech
For example, I have two 5Ks with 5.0 and have no major problems. I have had perhaps two lockups in as many months, but other than that they seem to work as advertised for the most part. The certainly aren't "unreliable" and "nearly unusable".
Just as I couldn't be happier for you, I'm sure you find it disturbing that I have two 5Ks that had no problems prior to 5.0 and now demonstrate all of the classic symptoms such as stuttering, locking up, infinite looping, etc.
post #122 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by pdellera
If you don't accept "most", you can't deny "many" based on the so-called "faulty data-set".

People asking for solutions to problems is not venting. The frustrated responses that follow when the problems continue unresolved may constitute venting but does not invalidate the issues raised.

Mostly I hear from people here who are above average in techie awareness. I suppose that a true sample across the whole user base just returns the faulty unit and has no awareness of this board at all.

Just as I couldn't be happier for you, I'm sure you find it disturbing that I have two 5Ks that had no problems prior to 5.0 and now demonstrate all of the classic symptoms such as stuttering, locking up, infinite looping, etc.
I would concede some are having problems based on the data-set here. I would also concede that those looking for solutions are not venting and I'm sorry for my unfortunate word choice.

It sucks that your units are displaying classic symptoms. It sounds to me like you may have a corrupted OS. Are your units still under warrantee?
post #123 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by roddie

I'm still thinking - I'm praying it's some sort of USB functionality, but I'm not holding my breath.
I can't quite figure out the thirst for USB functionality. What feature are you wanting from it? Wireless connection? Wireless through USB would be a very slow connection. Couldn't stream to other replays or transfer via DVA without suffering from time cramps.

cow
post #124 of 329
Bringing this thread back to theory and conjecture, in this thread there are musing of a consolidated Replay Guide AND Channel Guide for all networked machines. This is surely possible using software tweaks and would be pretty awesome for those with multiple units.

Best,
Matthew in CO.
post #125 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech
Bringing this thread back to theory and conjecture, in this thread there are musing of a consolidated Replay Guide AND Channel Guide for all networked machines. This is surely possible using software tweaks and would be pretty awesome for those with multiple units.
I've been a huge proponent of this for a long while. However, despite appearances to the contrary hereat AVS Forum, very few ReplayTV owners own more than one unit.

I'd like to believe that we'd see a unified ReplayGuide and a Channel Guide that indicates programs that are going to be recorded on other networked Replays soon. But in my opinion this is still a bit off...
post #126 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by jleavens
I've been a huge proponent of this for a long while. However, despite appearances to the contrary hereat AVS Forum, very few ReplayTV owners own more than one unit....
True, not many regular users have mulitple units. But a somewhat larger number of users (still not a majority!) use dvarchive, and a consolidated guide for the shows on the replay and dvarchive would be nice for those users too (and it's the same software fix).
post #127 of 329
Ummm... Parental Lock Catagory for those PPV's you don't want the kids watching.
post #128 of 329
Quote:
What feature are you wanting from it? Wireless connection? Wireless through USB would be a very slow connection.
Slow relative to Ethernet and FastEthernet - Blazingly fast relative to dial-up in a neighborhood with pairgain. WET11s are $100, which to me is over-priced, and right now I'm doing wireless bridging via my HTPC which is not always turned on.

I'd only use it for scheduling, utility, nightly evenings, and perhaps archive - I have no use for streaming, USB wireless is plenty fast for my purposes.

Of course there's also as an interface to a digital camera, flash readers, keyboards, PCs, etc.

That said - I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe they're going to give the RTV the ability to read AVS Forum!
post #129 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by bernie_xg
Ummm... Parental Lock Catagory for those PPV's you don't want the kids watching.
Hmmmm.... doesn't your cable/satellite box provide that functionality already?
post #130 of 329
I'm telling you all, the feature is webcam support.

We shall see...
post #131 of 329
Would that require IVS-ability to some degree?
post #132 of 329
I'm trying like heck to be positive here:

First off, RB has already stated that their number one priority with the next release is stability (thus the code name), so I'm assuming that any new "stunning" features will be frosting on that. In other words, the goodies are supposed to happen in addition to the bug fixes.

Second: I'd say many. Or, at least, I'd say "Too many." And for all of those who want to shout the poor guy down for saying "Many," I'll point out that your saying "Works fine for me" doesn't help the poor bloke one bit. With the sort of lockups I've been reading about, any more than two people experiencing said problem would qualify for "Many," considering the severity of the problem.

From DNNA's point of view, even one person in here with a valid gripe that goes along the lines of "Worked fine before 5.0, but now it stutters, freezes, locks up" would qualify for "Too Many."

Don't yell at the guy because his stuff doesn't work, and don't toss "Works fine for me"s at him, because it only makes it worse for him. He is experiencing problems that are real for him, no matter how many other people report successful operation, and if he's just a tiny bit frustrated at the appearance that DNNA might put new features higher on the priority list than fixing existing bugs - well, I can see why he'd be upset about that.

Remember that the old ReplayTV/SB priorities were to:

1) Introduce new units
2) Implement new features

and relegate fixing bugs to third place (at best). To a ReplayTV owner, it's easy to have a kneejerk expectation that it'll continue that way until we see DNNA act in a different way.

But yeah, I thought RB said the bug fixes came first.
post #133 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
I can't quite figure out the thirst for USB functionality. What feature are you wanting from it? Wireless connection? Wireless through USB would be a very slow connection. Couldn't stream to other replays or transfer via DVA without suffering from time cramps.

cow

I would use USB port for plugging in external HDD.
Use it like a VHS tape, move it to the other RTV, plug it in and watch shows from it.

Here we go !!! :)
post #134 of 329
Boy, what an idea!

They could have also put Firewire ports on the box, too!

;)
post #135 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by toots
First off, RB has already stated that their number one priority with the next release is stability (thus the code name), so I'm assuming that any new "stunning" features will be frosting on that.
I thought the modem working and live tv not locking *were* the two
"stunning" features :) :)

Sometimes we post "it works for me" not to add salt to a wound but to
give someone hope, in that the same scenario/config works for someone
else, so possibly changes could be made to get it working or at least
isolate the differences to see why one works and the other doesn't.
post #136 of 329
My sympathies lie with anyone experiencing problems with their units. Those problems just should not happen. My patience ends with those victims(?) claiming "most" or "all" when that just isn't the case. Sure, when it happens to you, it gives you tunnel vision regarding the event. However, that is no reason to go over the edge in badmouthing a product which, on the whole, is a tremendous achievement of technology and is generally reliable (5 Replays with an aggregate of some 8 unit-years of service with no showstopping problems in my case.)

Old management fell into some shortsighted practices and that was unfortunate, both for the users as well as the company. Let's hope that the new regime has their priorities straight and that we'll have a thriving Replay in the near future.
post #137 of 329
I think RB started this thread to get new ideas, not to tease us about actual new features that are already in the works.

While it's kind of fun to play along with this distraction that according to RB won't play out until Fall (aka Dec 19 likely at the earliest), I'm firmly in the camp of "just deliver on that Rock Solid part". I love the machine, but with all it's quirks and flaws, I can't buy one for my Mom.
post #138 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
My sympathies lie with anyone experiencing problems with their units. Those problems just should not happen. My patience ends with those victims(?) claiming "most" or "all" when that just isn't the case.
If you are referring to my post on this thread, I actually said "many if not most". So I guess I still have your sympathies and patience? :)

To All: Don't take criticism of DNNA's priorities and actions personally. If I didn't understand and appreciate the value of a ReplayTV, I wouldn't have two of them! I'm on your side.

But having seen the promise, and, yes, even hearing of others' successes, and comparing that to my experience, I feel my choices are limited: Dump the RTVs or keep them and hope for a fix.

Right now I'm entirely dependent on DNNA correcting their software. So when I see them nattering about "new features", I have to wonder why they aren't devoting their resources to "old bugs"?

Great, "Alcatraz" (the Rock) is scheduled for Fall release. How much sooner would my (and, excuse me, many others) issues be resolved if the bug fixes weren't tied to the new features? This is especially frustrating since the new features are undoubtably tied to a marketing campaign that needs to be put into place, further delaying the release.

Someone in another post very amusingly stated that his/her Mom would want features that ReplayRichard's Mom probably wouldn't consider: Milking the cows, feeding the horses, brewing coffee for Dad, etc. If we who are experiencing serious problems don't bring them to light, then in a similar fashion DNNA would not be able to prioritize what's important in our experience.

To Toots: Thanks!
post #139 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by pdellera
If you are referring to my post on this thread, I actually said "many if not most". So I guess I still have your sympathies and patience? :)
I don't think that anybody is unsympathetic. I also think that "many if not most" ;) here would like to help you. In fact folks around here seem to bend over backwards to help each other.

So, once again, are your units still under warrantee? If not, have you considered repatching the drives with a fresh copy of of 5.0? If they are, have you considered sending them back to DNNA for repair? What have you tried so far to fix the problems you're having?
post #140 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech
So, once again, are your units still under warrantee? If not, have you considered repatching the drives with a fresh copy of of 5.0? If they are, have you considered sending them back to DNNA for repair? What have you tried so far to fix the problems you're having?
Creech,

I appreciate your effort. This topic is "What are they thinking over there at ReplayTV???", so I won't pursue what diagnostic/remedial steps I've taken here (much to the relief of most if not all :)). I'm not looking for peer-to-peer help, I'm goading for an official remedy.

While your intentions seem right, because you've never had issue with your RTVs, you may be unaware that lock-ups and other issues with viewing live TV are acknowledged software problems and the only sure remedy is to not do that. Same thing for the photo slide show, modem, and screen saver (features that I don't use and can't speak to).

Thanks for the offer, though. :)
post #141 of 329
Oh, jeez, PIP.
The feature that I find the most useless feature on any TV. But I can see how you could print that on a ReplayTV box and get immediate recognition by potential customers. Although, if someone already has PIP on their TV why buy another box that offers the same thing?

My guess is the feature will be a 'grandma and grandkids picture server' which is fine by me.
post #142 of 329
I just hope the "picture server" isn't solely unit to unit. It would be nice to be able to upload them directly from a PC (like we currently can) including via Internet.
post #143 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by pdellera
Creech,

I appreciate your effort. This topic is "What are they thinking over there at ReplayTV???", so I won't pursue what diagnostic/remedial steps I've taken here (much to the relief of most if not all :)). I'm not looking for peer-to-peer help, I'm goading for an official remedy.

While your intentions seem right, because you've never had issue with your RTVs, you may be unaware that lock-ups and other issues with viewing live TV are acknowledged software problems and the only sure remedy is to not do that. Same thing for the photo slide show, modem, and screen saver (features that I don't use and can't speak to).

Thanks for the offer, though. :)
One last word from me and I'll shuddup about it.

I know that you didn't mean to come across as condescending. However, I am pretty aware of the issues you're facing. I may not have personal experience with 5K issues, but I have spent alot of time reading about the troubles folks have had and some of the solutions that have worked and participated in troubleshooting/figuring out what might (or might not) work. I've been participating on this board for quite a while and have been a ReplayTV owner since the first model.
post #144 of 329
[drum roll] And the new features are.... [/end drum roll]

Come on already Richard... fill us in :D
post #145 of 329
I hope it isn't getting time to close this thread...
post #146 of 329
Here is a simple feature that could be handy: Make a 'Find Similar Shows' menu option everywhere there currently is a 'Find All Episodes' option.

This would use the ReplayZones information to find and list shows that are similar to the selected show. Maybe limit it so they have to have 2 or more zone categories in common to be considered similar. It would be an nice way to make more use of the Zones information.
post #147 of 329
Maybe a new feature could be a central server with movies and TV shows to be downloaded for a fee. -mk
post #148 of 329
Quote:
Originally posted by mikek
Maybe a new feature could be a central server with movies and TV shows to be downloaded for a fee. -mk
There was a vague rumbling about a future feature called iChannels when SB released the first networkable units. Although no details were ever released, it seemed like it might be just something like what you are thinking about.
post #149 of 329
> guessing the zip code could be problematic

For dialup customers, it would be a breeze to get the general area: the first call is to an 800 number, which automatically has CLID info. Their dialup server could just capture the area code and exchange of the caller, convert it into a "reasonable" zip code guess, and send that back with the list of providers. In fact, area code + exchange is a better way to get appropriate dialup numbers than zip code.

For broadband, it becomes more difficult, but since 80% of broadband users use the same 5-15 providers (even through resellers), their server could get the reverse DNS address of the ReplayTV and compare it to a lookup table of regular expression patterns that match the various service areas of the big broadband providers.

Or, they could just ask us for the frickin 5 numbers and spend their time getting my 4k to at least have the same record options (repeat/no repeat, etc.) as my 5k.
post #150 of 329
can't wait :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs › What are they thinking over there at ReplayTV???