or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Nashville, TN - Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nashville, TN - Comcast - Page 124

post #3691 of 3779
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_N_T View Post

All the sd MLBEI/NHLCI combo channels are working in the clear suddenly. The only problem is that the HD MLBEI/NHL channels are still "blocked". Can't understand why they can never get the free previews right, this seemingly always happens every year here, where there is some sort of glitch during the free preview. I know its "free" but iNDemand should still honor what they advertising, what I mean by that is that they say its a free preview, which in my mind is all the channels should be unlocked to view during that time. It does not stipulate that its not the full package in the advertising. I think here though its just somebody at iNDemand not doing their job correctly and mis-flagging which channels should be unlocked and not, why they can never get it right is beyond me.

I sent a reply to INDemand about the channels, hopefully i do get a reply today.
Edited by Gt1racer - 4/4/13 at 8:50am
post #3692 of 3779
I checked here in Massachusetts and the problem has been fixed since the Free Preview is over, has there been any changes T_N_T?

Here was the reply i got from InDemand this morning
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Alex,



We will check in with Comcast regarding the MLB EXTRA INNINGS Free Preview not working on the two HD channels in your friends area. As soon as we hear anything further from Comcast, we will reach back out to you.



Thank you,

iN DEMAND
post #3693 of 3779
Anyone else notice some of the channels aren't working at the moment? 117 WE TV on the DTA is just a black screen, although on a digital box it works. The HD version WEHD 1308 black screen, same with HCHD 1307,HALLD 1821, ENCHD 1830, MGMHD 1846, IFCHD 1860 just all black screens. Seems like this has been going on for a few days now.
post #3694 of 3779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt1racer View Post

I checked here in Massachusetts and the problem has been fixed since the Free Preview is over, has there been any changes T_N_T?

Here was the reply i got from InDemand this morning
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Alex,



We will check in with Comcast regarding the MLB EXTRA INNINGS Free Preview not working on the two HD channels in your friends area. As soon as we hear anything further from Comcast, we will reach back out to you.



Thank you,

iN DEMAND

Well I don't sub to it so I can't tell. thanks for trying anyway.
post #3695 of 3779
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_N_T View Post

Anyone else notice some of the channels aren't working at the moment? 117 WE TV on the DTA is just a black screen, although on a digital box it works. The HD version WEHD 1308 black screen, same with HCHD 1307,HALLD 1821, ENCHD 1830, MGMHD 1846, IFCHD 1860 just all black screens. Seems like this has been going on for a few days now.
Only WE HD isn't working for me right now.
post #3696 of 3779
any news on when comcast might be getting the X1 guide system set up here in nashville?
post #3697 of 3779
I'm still waiting for the Internet speed upgrade
post #3698 of 3779
Over the past few weeks I've noticed audio changes on two stations: ESPN and the CW channels.
ESPN (only ESPN - not ESPN2 or others) has horrible center channel audio now: it sounds like the levels are too high since the audio sounds like it's cracking. I watch PTI and Around the Horn almost every day and it's really noticeable on those shows.
For the CW the audio for their shows is so much higher then any other station. I have to turn down my AVR to compensate for that station since the audio is too loud: it's so loud the center channel audio sounds horrible like it's clipping.
We watch Arrow and it's so noticeable on that and any other show. She watches one or two other shows and they all have very loud audio with horrible center channel audio.
I've noticed this in our living room and my man cave set up so it's not something occurring in my AVR or speakers. Anyone else?
post #3699 of 3779
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondotcom View Post

I'm still waiting for the Internet speed upgrade

Same. i got the newsletter several weeks ago. I've been checking doing speed tests. I'm still stuck at the old Blast speed (30 Mbit).
post #3700 of 3779
Have you reset the modem?
post #3701 of 3779
Quote:
Originally Posted by papercy View Post

Have you reset the modem?

Yeah. I even got a technician on the phone. They did everything (according to them) in the book. Took about an hour. Still 30 Mbit. In the end, they said "Maybe it's not available to you yet and wait a couple weeks and reset the modem."

This was back when I first got the newsletter. I've reset it a couple times and still just 30 Mbit. I haven't called back since.
post #3702 of 3779
A few weeks ago, somebody from Comcast told me it would come to my area sometime after May 1st. That's all they said. After May first. Sometime between now and the end of time, it will come to my area. Why doesn't anyone at Comcast know anything?
post #3703 of 3779
Are any of you getting HD service via HTPCs/Cablecards?

We have 2 HD cable boxes. I want to set up HTPCs and get rid of both of the cable boxes. I was told my comcast that even if I returned both boxes, they would still charge a $10 "HD technology Fee" if I wanted HD channels. Is this accurate? This thread has conflicting reports about some people paying and others not paying:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1379426/do-you-pay-comcast-an-hd-technology-fee-for-your-htpc

So I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with our local franchise and what their official policy is. If my cablecard is paired up correctly, can I get all the HD channels and avoid this fee?
post #3704 of 3779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

Are any of you getting HD service via HTPCs/Cablecards?

We have 2 HD cable boxes. I want to set up HTPCs and get rid of both of the cable boxes. I was told my comcast that even if I returned both boxes, they would still charge a $10 "HD technology Fee" if I wanted HD channels. Is this accurate? This thread has conflicting reports about some people paying and others not paying:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1379426/do-you-pay-comcast-an-hd-technology-fee-for-your-htpc

So I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with our local franchise and what their official policy is. If my cablecard is paired up correctly, can I get all the HD channels and avoid this fee?

We got rid of the DVR and extra cable boxes a few years ago and went with a cable card in a HTPC and haven't had the $10 HD service fee since. I just checked to be sure and we do have a $1.99 fee for "Additional Outlet Svc Digital Adapter" that I might need to call them about, but no other box or HD fees.
post #3705 of 3779
well that's great news. I spoke to a guy who was otherwise very cool at the Brentwood branch office, off Wilson Pike. I suppose once i get my htpc thing set up, i'll deal with comcast accordingly. Can I ask, did you go with the hd homerun box or ceton, and how 'stable' has your setup been?
post #3706 of 3779
I got my cablecard at that same office. I have the Ceton 4 tuner PCI card (I also have a 2 tuner QAM card). I came into it with the idea that it's not really a money-saving venture and more of a hobby/tinkering project. For a long while after setting it up, I was tinkering with settings and add-ins and drivers every night. I've upgraded the CPU and drives and such over the years as well.

Having said that, the stability is actually pretty good now. I used to have to reboot it every week on a schedule and I've had to reinstall Windows from scratch twice (I don't consider this a big deal as I work in IT, but some might). After the latest rebuild, which was probably more than a year ago, things have been fine.

I will occasionally get a subscription required message when I try to tune to a channel, which I can get rid of by stopping playback and re-tuning the channel. We have 3 xboxes hooked in as extenders and can run all of those at one with performance loss, mostly due to the 8GB RAM and the SSD (the one thing I would definitely suggest is a SSD for the boot drive - this will make the guide much faster).
post #3707 of 3779
I've noticed an odd anomaly on WKRNDT 1002. During the NBA finals it appears Comcast is overlaying a ad/promo over the commercial WKRN is airing out, whenever that ad/promo finishes the feed freezes for a couple of seconds and then goes back to normal, is anyone else seeing this, its really annoying. This has happened a couple of times, both when watching the NBA finals, the commercial is the one with guy bashing Uverse.
post #3708 of 3779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

any news on when comcast might be getting the X1 guide system set up here in nashville?

Yeah, what he said. Will we just be waiting around to get X2? smile.gif
post #3709 of 3779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard25 View Post

Yeah, what he said. Will we just be waiting around to get X2? smile.gif

Ditto on this. I'm tired of this crap Motorola junk that I've been using for over a decade.
post #3710 of 3779
I had to call Comcast today to add an AnyRoom receiver to my existing system. Asked about X1. They said no information on roll-out to Nashville, but rep did have an email which said that existing AnyRoom customers will be first to be notified when roll-out occurs in their area, giving them priority access. She said that they will be notified by mail. I also asked about HD DTAs. She said similar story, no roll-out information, but that we would likely see advertisements about such on-screen without actually getting a targeted mailer. It sounded like the X1 roll-out was much further along and likely sooner than HD DTAs. She did say that the HD DTAs would likely only initially have access to a few HD channels.
post #3711 of 3779
I saw a spot (Don Cheadle version) promoting the X1...last night (July 9) between 6:30 - 7pm: however, since the spot
was on WKRN...and had no audio between :05 - 25...I'm curious as to whether the X1 launch is near...or perhaps this
is just another chapter in the difficulties WKRN continues to have with Xfinity spots. For months...they majority of Xfinity
spots on WKRN begin....you see 1-2 seconds of one spot...which then jumps to another Xfinity spot...which will then run long
(cutting off the next commercial)...or have the final few seconds chopped itself. X1 false alarm?
post #3712 of 3779
Quote:
Originally Posted by romer979fm View Post

I saw a spot (Don Cheadle version) promoting the X1...last night (July 9) between 6:30 - 7pm: however, since the spot
was on WKRN...and had no audio between :05 - 25...I'm curious as to whether the X1 launch is near...or perhaps this
is just another chapter in the difficulties WKRN continues to have with Xfinity spots. For months...they majority of Xfinity
spots on WKRN begin....you see 1-2 seconds of one spot...which then jumps to another Xfinity spot...which will then run long
(cutting off the next commercial)...or have the final few seconds chopped itself. X1 false alarm?
I saw that same spot this morning and the same thing happened -it cut out before the commercial could end to cut back to the morning show.
post #3713 of 3779
So I ordered a Silicondust HD Homerun Prime from amazon. Do I need a SDV fom Comcast? I'm going on monday to pick up the cable card from the Brentwood office. I dont really know how good/bad the installation experience is with the local comcast affiliate so do any of you have any suggestions or tips?
post #3714 of 3779
My boss picked one up. I think he had to go to the Nashville office to get the cable card, but if Brentwood has one, all the better.

I want to say there may be a special number you can call to get support especially for cable cards with Comcast, but I may be mistaken on that. He said his setup was surprisingly relatively pain free as far as the cable card goes. His HTPC, on the other hand, was a slightly different story. smile.gif

Brandon
post #3715 of 3779
Hey thanks for chiming in Brandon, the brentwood office is on my way to the YMCA there so I can just stop by, and if they dont have it, I'll go to fountain square i suppose. Can I ask, do you know what sort of issues he's having with his HTPC? did he build it himself or is he using a retail box? I repurposed a mac mini to use as a set top box, but are these things generally unstable?
post #3716 of 3779
He built it himself. The issues were not related to the HomeRun Prime, fortunately, but mostly due to the video card he had and bitstreaming I think. He had to do a lot of tweaking to get it just the way he wanted it, and even replaced one video card. The HRP and Windows Media Center worked just about flawlessly for him... we were both shocked about that one...

Brandon
post #3717 of 3779
Okay well amazon shipped out the box today with the promise that it will arrive tomorrow. If I'm able to get the cablecard today, can I have it all activated and stuff before the HRP gets here tomorrow, or do I have to have the box to do it? I was just hoping to save a little time if I can.
post #3718 of 3779
After spending all afternoon and all last night, I think im up and running. The brentwood comcast office does indeed carry cablecards. The biggest hassle is not getting a technician from overseas to answer your call when you pair the card to your device. It took me no less than 5 tries before they put in the correct rate code for the premium channels we are receiving.

for anyone reading this thread for the future, this is the number I called: 877-405-2298, not the one on the comcast equipment receipt. If they dont ask for 3 specific numbers (serial, data, and one more i cant remember) they dont know what they're doing, you should hang up, call back and hopefully get someone better.
post #3719 of 3779
Ahhh... very good info. Thanks for posting that!

Brandon
post #3720 of 3779
Quote:
Originally Posted by romer979fm View Post

I saw a spot (Don Cheadle version) promoting the X1...last night (July 9) between 6:30 - 7pm: however, since the spot
was on WKRN...and had no audio between :05 - 25...I'm curious as to whether the X1 launch is near...or perhaps this
is just another chapter in the difficulties WKRN continues to have with Xfinity spots. For months...they majority of Xfinity
spots on WKRN begin....you see 1-2 seconds of one spot...which then jumps to another Xfinity spot...which will then run long
(cutting off the next commercial)...or have the final few seconds chopped itself. X1 false alarm?

Nope its official according to the PR: Comcast Launches New X1 Video Platform in Nashville and Knoxville
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Nashville, TN - Comcast