or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Nashville, TN - Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nashville, TN - Comcast - Page 125

post #3721 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvvolfan View Post

Nope its official according to the PR: Comcast Launches New X1 Video Platform in Nashville and Knoxville

The commercials stated "coming soon". And in true typical Comcrap fashion: "X1 is available at no additional charge to upgrading and new customers who order select Xfinity Triple Play packages with HD/DVR service. For more information about the Xfinity service or the X1 platform, call 1-800-XFINITY or visit www.xfinity.com. To view a video about X1, visit: http://xfinity.comcast.net/x1/. "

Meaning loyal customers, like myself, get shafted. Nice. mad.gif
post #3722 of 3780
So I got a letter from Comcast stating that I have an HD capable set-top box on my account, but I'm not subscribed to High-Definition service from Comcast. Sometime this week they say they will be turning off my HD channels unless I call and have them add a $9.95/month HD Technology fee. Anyone seen anything like this before. I don't even have a set-top box, but they might be referencing my cable card.
post #3723 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post

So I got a letter from Comcast stating that I have an HD capable set-top box on my account, but I'm not subscribed to High-Definition service from Comcast. Sometime this week they say they will be turning off my HD channels unless I call and have them add a $9.95/month HD Technology fee. Anyone seen anything like this before. I don't even have a set-top box, but they might be referencing my cable card.

If you don't have any HD stations then it doesn't impact you. I have not received a letter (as of Saturday). I have 2 M-cable cards and one of their HD boxes and we do get HD stations.
post #3724 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

If you don't have any HD stations then it doesn't impact you. I have not received a letter (as of Saturday). I have 2 M-cable cards and one of their HD boxes and we do get HD stations.

I only watch HD channels. I've had the cable card for a few years without a problem.
post #3725 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post

I only watch HD channels. I've had the cable card for a few years without a problem.

So you have HD stations but are not paying for the HD Package? You DO get the local stations in HD at no charge - it's the others that cost money.

That is very confusing on their part regarding that letter.
post #3726 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

So you have HD stations but are not paying for the HD Package? You DO get the local stations in HD at no charge - it's the others that cost money.

That is very confusing on their part regarding that letter.

There's an HD package I have to pay for? I never have in probably 10 years that I know of. This is all that's listed in the TV section of the bill:

Digital Preferred w/On Demand
Additional Outlet Svc Digital Adapter
Sports Entertainment Pack
Customer Owned Equipment
post #3727 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post

There's an HD package I have to pay for? I never have in probably 10 years that I know of. This is all that's listed in the TV section of the bill:

Digital Preferred w/On Demand
Additional Outlet Svc Digital Adapter
Sports Entertainment Pack
Customer Owned Equipment

Yes. To get non-local HD stations you need to pay for the "HD package". Another way they quarter-and-dollar us to death (nickel-and-dime is too little for them).
post #3728 of 3780
Not in Boston you don't.

They won't even offer Hd on basic and didital econopmy tiers.
post #3729 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

Not in Boston you don't.

They won't even offer Hd on basic and didital econopmy tiers.


Now what's a person from Lawrence, MA doing in the Nashville Comcast thread?!

PS - I'm from Northbridge, MA (you probably never heard of it) and my family is still there (just visited last month).

Also, isn't Verizon FiOS available in Boston?

If it was available here I'd have that in a 'second'!!
post #3730 of 3780
I'm am a Comcast user in Memphis who's having service issues and receiving terrible customer service. I was told today that the regional office that used to be here has been moved to Nashville. I was wondering if anyone knew of any phone numbers to the offices there. I need some executive support. I can't take another person with bad English telling me to disconnect and reconnect another piece of equipment or a supervisor telling me that the problem is with my setup.
post #3731 of 3780
It was 615-244-5900 for a long time. not sure if that's still it and if it is if you'll actually get someone local or just routed to the national call center.
post #3732 of 3780
That's still a good number. Unfortunately I have it memorized.

Jim
post #3733 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post

It was 615-244-5900 for a long time. not sure if that's still it and if it is if you'll actually get someone local or just routed to the national call center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstn58 View Post

That's still a good number. Unfortunately I have it memorized.

Jim

I've called it before recently and got the same automated menu that I get when I call my local number. I was hoping to connect directly with a person. I don't like dealing with faceless companies. It's why I'll never deal with an AT&T service.
post #3734 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroteddy View Post


I've called it before recently and got the same automated menu that I get when I call my local number. I was hoping to connect directly with a person. I don't like dealing with faceless companies. It's why I'll never deal with an AT&T service.

Try contacting someone in the retention department and they ..might.. be able help you. Seems like the rest of their phone reps are either clueless or don't care or have been trained to misinform. Surveys are published all the time where Comcast is prominently mentioned for its awful customer service. In the past couple of months I have spent over two hours on the phone with them and they still have yet to correct the overcharges on our bill despite assuring me each time it will be taken care of. Often the only way to speak to a real person is leave a message and someone calls back later in the day. Just as frequently you have to spend a couple minutes navigating the automated menu and waste another 10 minutes on hold only to be hung up on or get a busy signal. AT&T uses the same tactics too. I really believe they have crunched the numbers and come to the conclusion that poor customer service is more profitable than doing the right thing.
post #3735 of 3780
So I went by the Comcast office today to ask about how I can keep my HD service without paying the "HD technology fee". Since we have a cablecard that provides 3 streams around the house, we no longer need to rent their equipment. Right now we have one HD box still in the house. They told me, if I were to return that remaining box, I would only get the SD channels, not the HD. Is this accurate? Would my returning the remaining HD cable box somehow affect the pairing of the cablecard? I am almost sure they are misinformed about what would happen, but I wanted to ask here if anyone else is doing the same thing, that is, are any of you still getting full HD service without paying the "HD technology fee" to comcast?
post #3736 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

So I went by the Comcast office today to ask about how I can keep my HD service without paying the "HD technology fee". Since we have a cablecard that provides 3 streams around the house, we no longer need to rent their equipment. Right now we have one HD box still in the house. They told me, if I were to return that remaining box, I would only get the SD channels, not the HD. Is this accurate? Would my returning the remaining HD cable box somehow affect the pairing of the cablecard? I am almost sure they are misinformed about what would happen, but I wanted to ask here if anyone else is doing the same thing, that is, are any of you still getting full HD service without paying the "HD technology fee" to comcast?

Se my post above (#3722) about the letter I got concerning the HD technology fee. I've had a cablecard for 3 years and have always received HD channels. I haven't had a cable box of any kind or the HD tech fee in that time either. They said they would turn off my HD on the 27th unless I called to add the HD tech fee, but so far they still work fine. We'll see how long it lasts.
post #3737 of 3780
Question about Fox Sports 1 and 2: I understand on August 17, Speed will be rebranded as Fox Sports 1. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Will Comcast in Nashville carry Fox Sports2, and if so, when?

Anyone know?
post #3738 of 3780
I just learned Speed/For Sports 1 will go away from Comcast if a deal isn't in place soon (by Saturday?) as Fox wants more than 3 times as much per subscriber for Fox Sports 1 as it was charging for Speed.
post #3739 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by janryAVS View Post

I just learned Speed/For Sports 1 will go away from Comcast if a deal isn't in place soon (by Saturday?) as Fox wants more than 3 times as much per subscriber for Fox Sports 1 as it was charging for Speed.

Fox Sports 1 has deals with all major providers now thanks to Time Warner Cable, Dish, and DirecTV signing up today so no worries as Comcast already signed on a while back.
post #3740 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post

It was 615-244-5900 for a long time. not sure if that's still it and if it is if you'll actually get someone local or just routed to the national call center.

I still call 615-244-6222 - the old Intermedia number! It does, however, reroute to the same call tree as the 5900 number.
post #3741 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post

So I got a letter from Comcast stating that I have an HD capable set-top box on my account, but I'm not subscribed to High-Definition service from Comcast. Sometime this week they say they will be turning off my HD channels unless I call and have them add a $9.95/month HD Technology fee. Anyone seen anything like this before. I don't even have a set-top box, but they might be referencing my cable card.

I got this letter too, and decided to play chicken.

I called chatted with a Comcast rep on an unrelated matter, and what I weaseled out of them was - if you don't have any HD boxes, you shouldn't be charged the HD Technology fee. On various forum posts, I learned that they used to charge you an HD fee on a per outlet basis. Sometime in the last couple of years, they switched and split up the outlet and HD fees.

I have a single cablecard in a Tivo Premiere with a couple of Tivo minis, so when I asked the rep, they said I didn't need to pay the fee. As of now, I still have all my HD channels. I saved the text of the chat though, in case my HDs go off at any point.
post #3742 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard25 View Post

I got this letter too, and decided to play chicken.

I called chatted with a Comcast rep on an unrelated matter, and what I weaseled out of them was - if you don't have any HD boxes, you shouldn't be charged the HD Technology fee. On various forum posts, I learned that they used to charge you an HD fee on a per outlet basis. Sometime in the last couple of years, they switched and split up the outlet and HD fees.

I have a single cablecard in a Tivo Premiere with a couple of Tivo minis, so when I asked the rep, they said I didn't need to pay the fee. As of now, I still have all my HD channels. I saved the text of the chat though, in case my HDs go off at any point.

This is good info to have as I'm also playing chicken. Still have all my channels so far.
post #3743 of 3780
Has anyone upgraded to the X1 in Nashville? Was told it was available now. Wondering if it was a seamless transition. How do you like the set top box compared to the old? I'm a relatively new Comcast customer (had DirecTV for several years) but was a cable customer for several years prior to DirecTV. I really liked the "HD" guide & changes DirecTV had and heard X1 is similar.
post #3744 of 3780
Coupla things for the thread:

1. I'm still playing chicken. I still have my HDs. I think it may be part of my double play though.
2. I finally found the "default" price list for Comcast/Xfinity Nashville. Here it is: http://www.scribd.com/doc/151154416/comcast-xfinity-nashville-pricing-and-channel-lineup-for-2013
3. Sporadically, but especially when we want to watch "Homeland" my cable card isn't able to tune in a grand total of two channels: SHOWHD (1950) and PALLHD (1421). We never (and I mean never) watch Palladia, but we're really annoyed that we're missing the new season of "Homeland." Is anyone else having this specific of a cable card problem? Refreshes and resets don't help (thank you Comcast lack-of-technical support.)
Edited by Redbeard25 - 10/6/13 at 7:45pm
post #3745 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard25 View Post

Coupla things for the thread:
3. Sporadically, but especially when we want to watch "Homeland" my cable card isn't able to tune in a grand total of two channels: SHOWHD (1950) and PALLHD (1421). We never (and I mean never) watch Palladia, but we're really annoyed that we're missing the new season of "Homeland." Is anyone else having this specific of a cable card problem? Refreshes and resets don't help (thank you Comcast lack-of-technical support.)

That means you're having signal strength issues. Nothing to do with your card. We've had this same issue. SHOWHD and PALLHD are sent on the same 'packet'. You'd need to call and have them come out and either 'up' your signal strength or 'steal' the signal strength from another customer on your 'line'.

I've had to have this done twice.
post #3746 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

That means you're having signal strength issues. Nothing to do with your card. We've had this same issue. SHOWHD and PALLHD are sent on the same 'packet'. You'd need to call and have them come out and either 'up' your signal strength or 'steal' the signal strength from another customer on your 'line'.

I've had to have this done twice.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that the problem is not with my set. Do you know of any way to see what I should be getting on my Tivo? I know that I'm "within tolerances" on my modem's 192... page.

So, I did the 30-minute call to customer service, upon which they refreshed and re-paired. Then told me to wait 15 minutes. Then I called back and did the second 30-minute call, upon which they said, "we can roll a truck between 8 am and 8 pm tomorrow." Nice window, Comcast. However, they did come this morning and:
  1. The box on the outside of the house was damaged, so they fixed it.
  2. The buried cable was not buried well in the first place, so they replaced it.
  3. Tech checked all my connections to my structured wiring headend and checked the modem (it's ahead of the coax headend, because I have a wired ethernet headend too.)

So, so far this morning, good signal. I'm beginning to feel satisfied with Comcast. We'll see later... smile.gif
post #3747 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard25 View Post

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that the problem is not with my set. Do you know of any way to see what I should be getting on my Tivo? I know that I'm "within tolerances" on my modem's 192... page.

smile.gif

I have 2 HD TiVo's that's why I knew your issue. It's only happened to one of them (the one where the main line comes in and modem).

Not sure what you mean when you say what you should be getting on it though (and within tolerances)?

ps - thanks for the thumbs up!!
post #3748 of 3780
Does anyone know when Comcast in the Nashville area (I'm specifically in Franklin) will begin encrypting QAM signals? I'm currently using QAM tuners in my TV's to watch locals in HD and I'd like to not be surprised by the switchover.
post #3749 of 3780
BOOM. HD Technology fee started with my October bill.

$9.95, plus a partial for the overlap on my billing cycle.

post #3750 of 3780
It is amazing how much the cost of cable has risen since Intermedia first came to Nashville 30 years ago. Does anyone else remember when the entire bill including misc fees was $9.95?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Nashville, TN - Comcast