or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › New York, NY - TWC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New York, NY - TWC - Page 848

post #25411 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by beinstein View Post

anyone else notice our monthly bills just climbed by around $10?

I never saw any notice of a rate increase

My bill came yesterday and mine went up as well. No explanation either. I even went to the TWC, NYC page and there's nothing there. Is this a case of "let's screw them because we can" ?
post #25412 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by rit56 View Post


My bill came yesterday and mine went up as well. No explanation either. I even went to the TWC, NYC page and there's nothing there. Is this a case of "let's screw them because we can" ?

Annual rate increase why is it a surprised? A break down of increases came on my last bill so it should have come on yours as well
www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/ratechanges/
post #25413 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by rit56 View Post

I say it's the box. Those 3090's are terrible. I had 2. Nothing but problems. 2 in 2 months.

This was my second 3090 in two weeks. Based on your comment I decided to trek down to 23rd street and ask whether they had any non-Samsung boxes. I took home an old SA 8300HDC. It's slow to react to commands, but at least it works! Now the guide info is there and the DVR works.
Many thanks.
post #25414 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3193 View Post

This was my second 3090 in two weeks. Based on your comment I decided to trek down to 23rd street and ask whether they had any non-Samsung boxes. I took home an old SA 8300HDC. It's slow to react to commands, but at least it works! Now the guide info is there and the DVR works.
Many thanks.

You're welcome. I have a Sammy 3272 and it works great. The thing about TWC is it took me months and 4 boxes before I got this one and I was reluctant. You really have to push them. There are people here who said they have gone to 23rd street and the employees there were nice enough to take their email gave them an 8300 and when a new Cisco came in they emailed them and swapped it out.. If the 8300 craps out try that. I got mine from a home visit. The tech brought in an 8300 and it wouldn't work with HDMI cable. She actually asked me if I had component cable. I was shocked. She was going to leave me a broken 8300. Anyway I calmly told her I didn't want it, to leave the broken 3090 and that I would go up to 23rd street and get a new box. Magically a 3272 suddenly appeared in her truck. Just amazing for the monthly rates we pay they use give us equipment.
post #25415 of 26437
I just got these two boxes. Questions for each:

Cisco 4742HDC

-it's really ugly, but seems to work well. anyone have any issues with it?
-how is the volume range on this thing?

Samsung SMT-H3362

-best looking cable I've ever seen. but it a few issues...
-the volume range is terrible, I have to use the volume on my tv which i hate doing, any to fix this?
-the Guide stretches to 16:9 and it looks awful, any way to change this setting?


General questions:

-is there a way to set Navigator to "direct/pass-through" resolution? I would rather let me Onkyo NR-609 receiver do the upscaling, I have a feeling it will do a better job.


Thanks!
post #25416 of 26437
I Have the Cisco-Explorer 8640-HDC. Works great. No problems
post #25417 of 26437
I noticed something weird about a week ago with my now several-years-old 8300HD:

It started choosing the wrong output resolution for channels. The first time it was quite obvious. After it froze up one time, it came back up outputting 480P for channels in the HD range (701-799). That was an easy fix.

Then, I noticed something more subtle -- it started giving me 720p for channels I knew were 1080i, like WCBS-HD and WNBC-HD (702 and 704).

It's at the point now where I'm only allowing 1080i from the box since I can't trust it to give me the correct output. But that, of course, affects 705 and 707, for example, and some other non-broadcast channels.

I've done both soft-boots and hard (pull the power plug) boots, but it hasn't really fixed it.

Anyone else see this on these or other boxes? Any other fix? I'd prefer to keep the 8300HD (although I do notice a huge audio/video sync issue now with my new LED TV that I can fortunately compensate for -- barely).

Tks.
post #25418 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikkster View Post

I noticed something weird about a week ago with my now several-years-old 8300HD:

It started choosing the wrong output resolution for channels. The first time it was quite obvious. After it froze up one time, it came back up outputting 480P for channels in the HD range (701-799). That was an easy fix.

Then, I noticed something more subtle -- it started giving me 720p for channels I knew were 1080i, like WCBS-HD and WNBC-HD (702 and 704).

It's at the point now where I'm only allowing 1080i from the box since I can't trust it to give me the correct output. But that, of course, affects 705 and 707, for example, and some other non-broadcast channels.

I've done both soft-boots and hard (pull the power plug) boots, but it hasn't really fixed it.

Anyone else see this on these or other boxes? Any other fix? I'd prefer to keep the 8300HD (although I do notice a huge audio/video sync issue now with my new LED TV that I can fortunately compensate for -- barely).

Tks.

This happened to me last night just after hooking it up to a new Sony LED tv. I attributed to the new tv though because it had never happened before.
post #25419 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post

This happened to me last night just after hooking it up to a new Sony LED tv. I attributed to the new tv though because it had never happened before.

I don't see how the TV itself could play a role. I've had my new TV for a few months now connected to the 8300HD, and it just cropped up with this issue. There have been on recent TV firmware updates, either, so that's ruled out.
post #25420 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikkster View Post

I don't see how the TV itself could play a role. I've had my new TV for a few months now connected to the 8300HD, and it just cropped up with this issue. There have been on recent TV firmware updates, either, so that's ruled out.

I think it's the updates. The same thing has happened with me. Suddenly there's a problem which mysteriously fixes itself in a day or a week... Certain boxes are getting to old and TWC doesn't want to have to replace all those 8300's.
post #25421 of 26437
I still have the 8300 Dvr. It must be the updates different things happen every time a update comes in, sometimes it fixes itself other times it doesn't. there must be a limit with old hardware and new software, like a computer.
post #25422 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikkster View Post

I noticed something weird about a week ago with my now several-years-old 8300HD:

It started choosing the wrong output resolution for channels. The first time it was quite obvious. After it froze up one time, it came back up outputting 480P for channels in the HD range (701-799). That was an easy fix.

Then, I noticed something more subtle -- it started giving me 720p for channels I knew were 1080i, like WCBS-HD and WNBC-HD (702 and 704).

It's at the point now where I'm only allowing 1080i from the box since I can't trust it to give me the correct output. But that, of course, affects 705 and 707, for example, and some other non-broadcast channels.

I've done both soft-boots and hard (pull the power plug) boots, but it hasn't really fixed it.

Anyone else see this on these or other boxes? Any other fix? I'd prefer to keep the 8300HD (although I do notice a huge audio/video sync issue now with my new LED TV that I can fortunately compensate for -- barely).

Tks.

I check other divisions quite frequently, and you are not alone with this bug. This is a software issue related to the older MDN boxes, that most divisions think began when MDN 3.0 was pushed out.

I actually wish I still had my SA-8300HD (no C.) It is so much faster than the ODN boxes!

Jack
post #25423 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

I check other divisions quite frequently, and you are not alone with this bug. This is a software issue related to the older MDN boxes, that most divisions think began when MDN 3.0 was pushed out.

I actually wish I still had my SA-8300HD (no C.) It is so much faster than the ODN boxes!

Jack

That sounds about right, Jack. I did notice there were a couple of new menu options recently (like CallerID) that didn't appear before, so my box must have gotten a push. Is it worth reporting to someone at TWC in NY? If so, who?
post #25424 of 26437
is it just me or is the twc guide system (mystro? navigator?) really slow now. I just replaced my samsung dvr because the guide system was slow and now have a SA8300HDC and the system is slow also. Why is this? It takes so long to change change, use the guide, etc... is there a fix somewhere.
post #25425 of 26437
TWC just signed a deal for HBO GO and MAX GO

http://www.twcableuntangled.com/2011...our-customers/
post #25426 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

I check other divisions quite frequently, and you are not alone with this bug. This is a software issue related to the older MDN boxes, that most divisions think began when MDN 3.0 was pushed out.

I actually wish I still had my SA-8300HD (no C.) It is so much faster than the ODN boxes!

Jack

Does this happen to you just after switching back from a different video input? I've noticed that it usually happens when first switching from another video input e.g WD TV Live hub or PS3. I'm able to fix it by switching to a 1080i channel and then back to the previous one.

EDIT: Turns out that doesn't work so well. Now switched the box to only output 1080i
post #25427 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikkster View Post

That sounds about right, Jack. I did notice there were a couple of new menu options recently (like CallerID) that didn't appear before, so my box must have gotten a push. Is it worth reporting to someone at TWC in NY? If so, who?

There is the TWC Direct to Tech corporate forum, which is a secure forum for individualized communication with a corporate tech. It requires registration. You can sign up and post here:

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect

In your message. Give a Subject like Navigator/MDN 3.0 Resolution Bug:

Also give the following:

Name
Address
Phone Number
City/State
Box Type/Version

A Description of the problem, with as much detail as you can provide, and any work arounds. They will forward this to engineering, and hopefully push out a patch. MDN boxes are being "hardware strained" with updates because MDN models are no longer being made. However, in the interest of speed and response time over the newer ODN boxes, I would hold on to an MDN box for as long as I could!

I'd report it to the Direct To Tech Forum, go to the link I posted above.

Another thing that I would do is e-mail your local division about this bug in MDN 3.0, and specifically request that the resolutions not holding problem be forwarded to the Navigator Engineering and Development Team. The more people that report bugs like this, the better likelihood they will be addressed. For starters, post this issue at the Direct to Tech Forum.

Jack
post #25428 of 26437
http://twcconversations.com/local/
Quote:


On December 16, MSG began telling customers that Time Warner Cable may drop its programming effective January 1, 2012.

We value sports and understand that costs are rising. We're willing to pay the increase MSG originally wanted to prevent them from shutting the channels off while we continue to negotiate. MSG refused.
MSG insists that in order to continue carrying their sports networks, we must pay for and carry their Fuse music channel across the entire country. We don't think it's fair to ask Time Warner Cable customers nationwide to pay for Fuse and subsidize New York sports they can't watch.
post #25429 of 26437
Funny, Fios finally has MsgHD, as of this week, and now TW might lose it, pretty ironic.
post #25430 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Funny, Fios finally has MsgHD, as of this week, and now TW might lose it, pretty ironic.

What bothers me is why do they drag us into it? I was watching the Knicks/Nets preseason game today and a banner running across the bottom of the screen the whole game making absolutely sure we all know that as of the 31st we're not going to see basketball or hockey games again. They should work it out behind doors. It makes me hate both sides when they act like this. Be adults. Make your deal and be done with it.
post #25431 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post

Does this happen to you just after switching back from a different video input? I've noticed that it usually happens when first switching from another video input e.g WD TV Live hub or PS3. I'm able to fix it by switching to a 1080i channel and then back to the previous one.

EDIT: Turns out that doesn't work so well. Now switched the box to only output 1080i

Outputting 1080i stations at 720p was the least of my problems. If one of those stations was stuck on 720p recordings would fail. Either quit in the middle or would look like they recorded but result in a black screen. Changing output to 1080i exclusively didn't work.

This seems to be the old handshaking issue again. So yes, the box no has no tolerance for being turned on in the wrong order. Before I turn on the box, I need make sure the TV is both on and the cable connection is selected. Then I can turn on the 8300. When finished, I need to turn off the tv first and then the 8300.

The 8300 can't stay on. If the tv is turned off and/or any other input, recordings fails. What a PITA! Still, I'm glad it's not my particular box. The used Samsung the cable guy brought over as a replacement looked really funky and I didn't even plug it in.
post #25432 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikkster View Post

I noticed something weird about a week ago with my now several-years-old 8300HD:

It started choosing the wrong output resolution for channels. The first time it was quite obvious. After it froze up one time, it came back up outputting 480P for channels in the HD range (701-799). That was an easy fix.

Then, I noticed something more subtle -- it started giving me 720p for channels I knew were 1080i, like WCBS-HD and WNBC-HD (702 and 704).

This happens to me also, but only upon turning the TV on initially.

I have my box set to output at 720p and 1080i only. When I turn on the TV and cable box, it will output the channel at 720p only, even if the channel I left it on broadcasts in 1080i. If I continue to flip to other 1080i channels, it will stay on 720p.

To fix this, I turn to another 720p channel (like FOX), and then switch to a 1080i channel (like NY1). This corrects the bug and it realizes what it needs to do. Of course, I have to repeat this every time I turn the TV on, but it's not a big deal.
post #25433 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post

This happens to me also, but only upon turning the TV on initially.

I have my box set to output at 720p and 1080i only. When I turn on the TV and cable box, it will output the channel at 720p only, even if the channel I left it on broadcasts in 1080i. If I continue to flip to other 1080i channels, it will stay on 720p.

To fix this, I turn to another 720p channel (like FOX), and then switch to a 1080i channel (like NY1). This corrects the bug and it realizes what it needs to do. Of course, I have to repeat this every time I turn the TV on, but it's not a big deal.

Apart from the fact that this is *very* inconvenient, attempted recordings when the box is stuck at 720p will fail. The only way to get the box to record properly now that twc has hosed it, is to turn the box and tv on in the proper order as I describe two posts up.

A sw upd broke this so hopefully a sw upd can fix it but I'm not optimistic twc is paying enough attention to care.
post #25434 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronross View Post

Apart from the fact that this is *very* inconvenient, attempted recordings when the box is stuck at 720p will fail. The only way to get the box to record properly now that twc has hosed it, is to turn the box and tv on in the proper order as I describe two posts up.

A sw upd broke this so hopefully a sw upd can fix it but I'm not optimistic twc is paying enough attention to care.

the box's output resolution should have nothing to do with the DVR recording properly.

If you are seeing this issue- it is not a commonly seen problem and you have a bad box.

Yes - once in a while my box messes up and resets the output resolutions I have selected - but any DVR recording problems should not be connected to that.
post #25435 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Funny, Fios finally has MsgHD, as of this week, and now TW might lose it, pretty ironic.

In all these carriage disputes, I find myself increasingly taking the side of the pay-TV operator as opposed to the programming provider.

The cable dial in America has become flooded with a morass of nearly useless channels that struggle to fill 24 hours of programming while only producing 8 hours' worth of content a week. They gain carriage by piggybacking on more successful, worthwhile channels. Fuse is one of those channels.

The sooner pay-TV providers put their foot down and drop channels, the sooner the program providers will realize they can't just create a crappy network with only 8 hours of worthwhile content a week and charge a arm and a leg for it.
post #25436 of 26437
What the hell is going on with these updates? In the last month, they've introduced 2 serious bugs on my SA8300HD:

1) Will not sync at the proper screen resolution;

If in setup I select all resolutions (480i through 1080i) or ‘Auto’ I would expect the box to sync at the proper resolution, based on the channel. NBC and CBS would sync at 1080i… Fox and ABC would sync and 720p… Logo would sync at 480i… Etc. For the 5 years I’ve had this box, it has always worked that way.

Not any more; I now have to set the box to 1080i exclusively, or HD channels will sync to 480i, or the lowest resolution activated in setup.

2) Scheduled programs erased immediately after they’re recorded;

This occurs if you select ‘1’ as the number of shows to retain. It’s supposed to erase the program after the 2nd instance has completed recording. An obvious and frankly inexcusable bug; which clearly demonstrates a lack of sound testing and acceptance procedure for software updates.

Trying to explain any of this to tech support is a complete waste of time.

I tell you… At this point I’m just circling the drain waiting for FIOS.

A_C
post #25437 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

the box's output resolution should have nothing to do with the DVR recording properly.

If you are seeing this issue- it is not a commonly seen problem and you have a bad box.

Yes - once in a while my box messes up and resets the output resolutions I have selected - but any DVR recording problems should not be connected to that.

@Berk32: Despite your (somewhat arrogant) certainty that a recent sw update could not possibly result in recording problems, I draw your attention to the following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_C View Post

What the hell is going on with these updates? In the last month, they've introduced 2 serious bugs on my SA8300HD:

1) Will not sync at the proper screen resolution;

If in setup I select all resolutions (480i through 1080i) or Auto' I would expect the box to sync at the proper resolution, based on the channel. NBC and CBS would sync at 1080i Fox and ABC would sync and 720p Logo would sync at 480i Etc. For the 5 years I've had this box, it has always worked that way.

Not any more; I now have to set the box to 1080i exclusively, or HD channels will sync to 480i, or the lowest resolution activated in setup.

2) Scheduled programs erased immediately after they're recorded;

This occurs if you select 1' as the number of shows to retain. It's supposed to erase the program after the 2nd instance has completed recording. An obvious and frankly inexcusable bug; which clearly demonstrates a lack of sound testing and acceptance procedure for software updates.

Trying to explain any of this to tech support is a complete waste of time.

I tell you At this point I'm just circling the drain waiting for FIOS.

A_C
post #25438 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronross View Post

@Berk32: Despite your (somewhat arrogant) certainty that a recent sw update could not possibly result in recording problems, I draw your attention to the following.

just because there are 2 problems doesn't mean they are directly connected to each other.

yes there are all sorts of random problems with their software.

I never said the update didn't cause recording problems - i just said the output problem (which has been a problem for years) is not connected to recording problems.

4 years ago i had an 8300 on the older (better) software that was stuck on 1080i output... no way to change it - the main reason for this was HDMI - which TWC never officially supported for the 8300s...
post #25439 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_C View Post

What the hell is going on with these updates? In the last month, they've introduced 2 serious bugs on my SA8300HD:

1) Will not sync at the proper screen resolution;

If in setup I select all resolutions (480i through 1080i) or ‘Auto’ I would expect the box to sync at the proper resolution, based on the channel. NBC and CBS would sync at 1080i… Fox and ABC would sync and 720p… Logo would sync at 480i… Etc. For the 5 years I’ve had this box, it has always worked that way.

Not any more; I now have to set the box to 1080i exclusively, or HD channels will sync to 480i, or the lowest resolution activated in setup.

2) Scheduled programs erased immediately after they’re recorded;

This occurs if you select ‘1’ as the number of shows to retain. It’s supposed to erase the program after the 2nd instance has completed recording. An obvious and frankly inexcusable bug; which clearly demonstrates a lack of sound testing and acceptance procedure for software updates.

Trying to explain any of this to tech support is a complete waste of time.

I tell you… At this point I’m just circling the drain waiting for FIOS.

A_C

Hi Agent C,

There were some reports of the resolution not holding on the SA-8300 (no-C) boxes, running the MDN software. I assume you have tried outputting your screen resolution to only the maximum that your TV supports. As others have had this same issue, since this last update, I would suspect this is a software problem.

It is good that you have a support ticket open at the Direct to Tech Forum. What are they suggesting over there?

The second issue does sound like it is something with your box unfortunately, with the programs erasing immediately after being recorded. Something is wrong there. What are they saying about that over at Direct to Tech? It sounds like you have some communications going over there so that is good.

I would follow through with their suggestions. When you say that your shows are being immediately erased, can you describe this in more detail? Is it that you watch a show from say, 9-10PM and OK it is now 2AM the next day, and you press LIST to call up your Scheduled Recordings. Is your show not there? Or is it there and a blank screen comes up? What does the Recording Log Show? Does this happen on EVERY program or series? If not, on what shows or series, does this occur?

Do you have a service call set up? Have your lines and drop pole checked just to make sure signals are good? The instance of shows getting erased after they are recorded. You have I would assume no other conflicts during the shows being recorded in question? Do you have the recording set for "Do Not Delete?" (Which, I believe is the default for MDN.)

Does the problem occur with Component Cables? A new HDMI cable? If you have tried all the above, or you aren't getting anywhere with tech support, swap out the box for an ODN model. This is the newer version C-boxes made by SA/Cisco or the Samsungs.

My suspicious are a bug with the resolution holding and and issue with this due to the older MDN software, since the 3.0 update. An ODN box WILL fix this. Solving Problem #1.

Problem #2: A bad cable/signal, or a bad box causing the missed recordings/erasing of recordings. I assume both issues did begin with the MDN 3.0 update, but believe that issue #2 may still be box related.

Let us know what happens!

Jack
post #25440 of 26437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

Hi Agent C,

There were some reports of the resolution not holding on the SA-8300 (no-C) boxes, running the MDN software. I assume you have tried outputting your screen resolution to only the maximum that your TV supports. As others have had this same issue, since this last update, I would suspect this is a software problem.

It is good that you have a support ticket open at the Direct to Tech Forum. What are they suggesting over there?

The second issue does sound like it is something with your box unfortunately, with the programs erasing immediately after being recorded. Something is wrong there. What are they saying about that over at Direct to Tech? It sounds like you have some communications going over there so that is good.

I would follow through with their suggestions. When you say that your shows are being immediately erased, can you describe this in more detail? Is it that you watch a show from say, 9-10PM and OK it is now 2AM the next day, and you press LIST to call up your Scheduled Recordings. Is your show not there? Or is it there and a blank screen comes up? What does the Recording Log Show? Does this happen on EVERY program or series? If not, on what shows or series, does this occur?

Do you have a service call set up? Have your lines and drop pole checked just to make sure signals are good? The instance of shows getting erased after they are recorded. You have I would assume no other conflicts during the shows being recorded in question? Do you have the recording set for "Do Not Delete?" (Which, I believe is the default for MDN.)

Does the problem occur with Component Cables? A new HDMI cable? If you have tried all the above, or you aren't getting anywhere with tech support, swap out the box for an ODN model. This is the newer version C-boxes made by SA/Cisco or the Samsungs.

My suspicious are a bug with the resolution holding and and issue with this due to the older MDN software, since the 3.0 update. An ODN box WILL fix this. Solving Problem #1.

Problem #2: A bad cable/signal, or a bad box causing the missed recordings/erasing of recordings. I assume both issues did begin with the MDN 3.0 update, but believe that issue #2 may still be box related.

Let us know what happens!

Jack

The corporate response was actually not very helpful. I posted my original message verbatim and the response was that they noted a weak signal to the box and suggested a service call. No acknowledgement or even mention of the missed recordings or screen resolution issues.

I brought up the service menu on the box and, at least when I checked, the signal strength(s) were in the green all around. I haven’t noticed any micro-blocking or degradation in picture quality, so I’m skeptical of the accuracy of his statement.

When I pressed on the other issues, he suggested that the missed recordings might be due to a bad hard drive (even though there’s no real indication of that) and again suggested I arrange a service call. Once again no mention of the screen resolution issue.

This is obviously not someone who’s going to be able to help me.

Over the weekend I deleted all recorded content (what little was left) and deleted each and every subscription. I reentered all the subscriptions and everything that was scheduled to be recorded thereafter has, so far, recorded properly.

I’m not prepared to say the recording issue is resolved yet. However, if it records everything correctly again today and deletes the 1-day retentions from yesterday, I’ll be pretty satisfied that its recording scheduled shows properly once again.

As for the screen resolution issue; I can live with the box syncing everything at 1080i for now.

Cheers,

A_C

UPDATE: No good. A bunch of shows failed to record yesterday, including all the ones with 1 day retentions. The message in the Recording log: "The Box Was Unable To Record The Program" (real helpful message).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › New York, NY - TWC