I could not find similar issues after a brief search, so I am throwing this problem I am having out there. Has anyone experienced inconsistent/poor sound quality from TWC-NYC, particularly when watching recorded shows? I am Signature Home, and using the new Cisco boxes, and I have poor sound quality, but on only one TV/Cisco set-up in my bedroom. My bedroom set-up includes a Panasonic LX700 television, Zvox v220 sound system, and the new Cisco DVR.
To test the problem, I did the following:
- Play a program on the TV and output sound to zvox, then separately, output sound to TV --> Fuzzy audio.
- Change the optical cable connected to zvox from TV to STB --> Fuzzy audio.
- Swap optical cable to RCA interconnects --> Fuzzy audio.
- Output sound to zvox via standalone DVD player, then separately, output sound to zvox via iPod --> No fuzzy audio.
- Move zvox to another room with a different TV and output same TV programs --> No fuzzy audio.
So, my results indicate a fuzzy sound, particularly with vocals and when using the DVR to watch a recorded program, when I output sound from the STB to either my TV speakers or the zvox. However, I get no fuzzy sound when the audio output is from either a DVD player or an MP3 player. The sound is sorta fuzzy, or garbled, or staticy, mostly for some vocals or bass. The poor audio is only present on some channels, some frequencies, and on most but not all recorded programs. My conclusion is that it's either the set top box or some poor cable wiring leading to this particular set up. Based on all of my years connecting various audio and video equipment, I am somewhat surprised that it's seemingly the cable and not the speaker system or TV, or even the connecting audio cable, but all of my comparisons rule out those causes.
Does this make sense to the forum? Am I missing a key test that would truly isolate the cause of the "mysterious fuzzy sound?" Has anyone else has had any similar poor audio quality experiences with TWC-NYC?
thanks for any input!