|Originally posted by Sir Alock
I've been looking @ the Samsung HD-931 DVD player posts for a while now. I'm going to pull the trigger by December. My thinking is that the firmware updates should be squared away by then considering I'll buy this unit from a CC or BB retail store.
I'm new to this forum but am considering the HD-931.
Q1: Are there any firmware updates out/planned for this player? If so, what do they fix?
The 'issues' I have gathered about this player are:
1. Won't pass pluge (which I infer means no true black).
2. Can't scale 4:3 disc to use all vertical screen real estate when viewed on a DVI equiped widescreen (like Samsung DLP, which I've ordered).
3. Some people do not like the edge enhancement, and you can't turn it off.
4. Remote IR xmitter is weak.
Q2: Anyone care to speculate whether 1., 2., or 3. are even fixable by firmware?
Issues I've gathered on the Bravo D1 are:
1. Some people have experienced lockups. (My old Sony player does this and I'm really quite sick of it).
2. De-interlacing of non-film source is inferior to the 931 (read this in Widescreen Review magazine). I don't recall the technical reasons, article is not at my finger tips.