or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › * Offical Velodyne Support Thread *
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

* Offical Velodyne Support Thread * - Page 287

post #8581 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post

I am sorry, I did some research and forgot to reply on this. The sweep tone starts at about 15Hz.

Great, thanks for the reply Rob. I'm going to have to do some more digging to really figure out how some of these studs on AVS are getting flat response down to 10hz... 15hz make logical sense.
post #8582 of 9549
is velodyne ct 80 better than a velodyne vx 10 for music? i have a velodyne ct 80 right now, do you think a velodyne vx 10 is an upgrade? thanks in advance
post #8583 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by soup dragon View Post

is velodyne ct 80 better than a velodyne vx 10 for music? i have a velodyne ct 80 right now, do you think a velodyne vx 10 is an upgrade? thanks in advance
Since we are discussing two different discontinued models that were manufactured 8+ years apart allow me to answer the question with a qualifier. Assuming both units are operating at design specification, the CT-80 is the better quality subwoofer. Now depending on your room and application your individual experience may vary.
post #8584 of 9549
thanks for the info
it was very helpful
post #8585 of 9549
I knew a lot of people in this forum like the Energy S10.3.

I just want to know if compare the Velodyne Impact 12 with Energy S10.3, which is better.
post #8586 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTTOG View Post

I knew a lot of people in this forum like the Energy S10.3.
I just want to know if compare the Velodyne Impact 12 with Energy S10.3, which is better.
I can not say that I have hear the Energy sub, but the feature set seems comparable.
post #8587 of 9549
I've got a DLS-5000R; thinking about a 2-sub setup, but can't find another 5000R in my area. Wondering how the 15" EQ-MAX would match with my current sub? I know it has the EQ system, so also wondering how this would work with my SMS-1.
post #8588 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post

I've got a DLS-5000R; thinking about a 2-sub setup, but can't find another 5000R in my area. Wondering how the 15" EQ-MAX would match with my current sub? I know it has the EQ system, so also wondering how this would work with my SMS-1.
The EQ-Max would be comparable to the DLS series and will work just fine with the SMS-1. You would be able to either not run the EQ max's equalization, or you could run it first, then run the SMS-1. It wouldn't hurt to have both.
post #8589 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post

The EQ-Max would be comparable to the DLS series and will work just fine with the SMS-1. You would be able to either not run the EQ max's equalization, or you could run it first, then run the SMS-1. It wouldn't hurt to have both.


Thanks. Looks like the EQ-Max is spec'd to dig lower than my current DLS; so I guess the SMS-1 would EQ to the limit of the least capable, being the DLS? I guess if I want more extension, as well as more even response, I'd have to ditch the DLS and get 2 EQ-Max?
post #8590 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post

Thanks. Looks like the EQ-Max is spec'd to dig lower than my current DLS; so I guess the SMS-1 would EQ to the limit of the least capable, being the DLS? I guess if I want more extension, as well as more even response, I'd have to ditch the DLS and get 2 EQ-Max?
The two subwoofers with one SMS will be playing dual mono so they will be working together as one subwoofer. The SMS-1 will equalize the two subwoofers as if they were one as it will only see one combined playback.
post #8591 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post

I can not say that I have hear the Energy sub, but the feature set seems comparable.

Thanks, I decided to go to Jamo SUB 650, in same price and a sealed sub.
post #8592 of 9549
Hi Rob,

I have a Velodyne DLS-3750R subwoofer which I've been fairly happy with for the past two years. Until I started watching "Tron: Legacy" today and found I wasn't getting any bass response. I looked at the sub's front panel and the LED "power" light was off. I checked the power switch at the back and it was still in the "on" position. I flipped it to "off" and back on again and there was no change. Still no light and no sound. I tested the wall power jack and it works fine when a different device (desk lamp) is plugged into it. I swapped out the AC power cable running to the sub and power cycled the unit again; still no lights and no sound.

So I thought maybe the physical settings on the unit might have gotten changed somehow. I checked the back panel. The "Low-Pass Crossover" knob is still turned all the way left, to "Direct". The "Auto On/Off" switch is still set to "Active". I toggled it to "Inactive" and back with no change. The interconnect cable is still plugged firmly into the "LFE In" input jack. I checked the other end of the interconnect cable and it's still plugged firmly into the "SW Pre Out" jack on my receiver.

I pulled my old Mirage subwoofer out of the closet, plugged it into the wall and plugged the interconnect into its "LFE In" input jack. It immediately powered up and began providing bass, so I know I'm getting a good signal from the receiver and the interconnect cable is good.

So it starts to look like the sub itself has failed in some way. Power supply? AC connector plug at the back? Something simple? Or is this likely to be a pricey problem to fix? The unit's two-year warranty expired three months ago, and there are no Velodyne authorized repair centers within a couple hundred miles of me (I'm in Austin, TX).

Any ideas?

cheers,
Phil
post #8593 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Carter View Post

Hi Rob,
I have a Velodyne DLS-3750R subwoofer which I've been fairly happy with for the past two years. Until I started watching "Tron: Legacy" today and found I wasn't getting any bass response. I looked at the sub's front panel and the LED "power" light was off. I checked the power switch at the back and it was still in the "on" position. I flipped it to "off" and back on again and there was no change. Still no light and no sound. I tested the wall power jack and it works fine when a different device (desk lamp) is plugged into it. I swapped out the AC power cable running to the sub and power cycled the unit again; still no lights and no sound.
So I thought maybe the physical settings on the unit might have gotten changed somehow. I checked the back panel. The "Low-Pass Crossover" knob is still turned all the way left, to "Direct". The "Auto On/Off" switch is still set to "Active". I toggled it to "Inactive" and back with no change. The interconnect cable is still plugged firmly into the "LFE In" input jack. I checked the other end of the interconnect cable and it's still plugged firmly into the "SW Pre Out" jack on my receiver.
I pulled my old Mirage subwoofer out of the closet, plugged it into the wall and plugged the interconnect into its "LFE In" input jack. It immediately powered up and began providing bass, so I know I'm getting a good signal from the receiver and the interconnect cable is good.
So it starts to look like the sub itself has failed in some way. Power supply? AC connector plug at the back? Something simple? Or is this likely to be a pricey problem to fix? The unit's two-year warranty expired three months ago, and there are no Velodyne authorized repair centers within a couple hundred miles of me (I'm in Austin, TX).
Any ideas?
cheers,
Phil
If you purchased this unit new two years ago, then this subwoofer might still be covered under the 3 year warranty it was sold with. It is best that you call four Product support team at 408-465-2851 Mon-Fri between 7am and 4:30 pm Pacific Time. When you call in please have the serial number off the back of the subwoofer.
post #8594 of 9549
Rob,

Thanks for the reply! Support confirmed for me that the unit is indeed still under coverage and are sending me an RMA request form. The sub's manual said the warranty was two years, which is why I thought it was out of warranty. I appreciate your prompt response.

Thanks again.

Phil
post #8595 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Carter View Post

Rob,
Thanks for the reply! Support confirmed for me that the unit is indeed still under coverage and are sending me an RMA request form. The sub's manual said the warranty was two years, which is why I thought it was out of warranty. I appreciate your prompt response.
Thanks again.
Phil
I am glad they were able to help you out.
post #8596 of 9549
Quick question. I have the Velodyne EQ-Max10 sub, and since it has it's own sub EQ feature and mic, how much difference is just running the sub's EQ on an AVR that does not have a sub calibration VS. using the sub's EQ and then using an AVR that does have the sub calibration? I'm wondering if this would be much of a difference b/c I am deciding between the Yamaha A1010 AVR and a Denon 2113. Both are open box and the same price, but the Yamaha has more features and connections. The only main difference that is throwing me off is A1010 does not have a sub calibration but the Denon does have Audyssey Mult-EQ-XT with a sub calibration. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha, but just wanted more feedback on the sub's calibration itself and how well it works w/o the need of a AVR with sub calibration.

I've read that ppl buy the Anti-Mode 8033 or Velodyne SMS-1 for true sub calibration or Audyssey XT-32, but I'm trying to cut costs and will not be buying any of those.

I also bought a Marantz SR6006 and it has the sub calibration and I set it up and the game room sounds so much better. I don't know if it was b/c my previous AVR Onkyo 609 was so much more inferior to the SR6006 or partly because when I originally setup my EQ-Max10, I set the LPF to 80 hz on the back of the sub instead of setting it to Direct, which I believe is 130 hz, so I was always missing 81-130 hz all along?

I did ask similar questions on the other threads, but this will be specific to the sub that I have. Anyhow, please LMK what you all think.

Thanks,
post #8597 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post

Quick question. I have the Velodyne EQ-Max10 sub, and since it has it's own sub EQ feature and mic, how much difference is just running the sub's EQ on an AVR that does not have a sub calibration VS. using the sub's EQ and then using an AVR that does have the sub calibration? I'm wondering if this would be much of a difference b/c I am deciding between the Yamaha A1010 AVR and a Denon 2113. Both are open box and the same price, but the Yamaha has more features and connections. The only main difference that is throwing me off is A1010 does not have a sub calibration but the Denon does have Audyssey Mult-EQ-XT with a sub calibration. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha, but just wanted more feedback on the sub's calibration itself and how well it works w/o the need of a AVR with sub calibration.
I've read that ppl buy the Anti-Mode 8033 or Velodyne SMS-1 for true sub calibration or Audyssey XT-32, but I'm trying to cut costs and will not be buying any of those.
I also bought a Marantz SR6006 and it has the sub calibration and I set it up and the game room sounds so much better. I don't know if it was b/c my previous AVR Onkyo 609 was so much more inferior to the SR6006 or partly because when I originally setup my EQ-Max10, I set the LPF to 80 hz on the back of the sub instead of setting it to Direct, which I believe is 130 hz, so I was always missing 81-130 hz all along?
I did ask similar questions on the other threads, but this will be specific to the sub that I have. Anyhow, please LMK what you all think.
Thanks,

The EQ Max offers 5 bands of equalization below 100 Hz. Some integrated equalization systems in AVRs will off no equalization in this range while some will. In either case there is no problem running both, as the actually will work together for a better overall sound. The equalization system in the EQ max only adjusts the subwoofer while your AVR's equalization will typically also effect the other speakers in the room. The Equalization in the EQ-Max is the most basic bass equalization system we employee, it does a good job tailoring the sound to your individual listening environment; however there are more robust systems out there. It all comes down to what you will be listening to, and what you like. It is easy to start with the basics, you can always add more later if you feel there is a need.
post #8598 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post

The EQ Max offers 5 bands of equalization below 100 Hz. Some integrated equalization systems in AVRs will off no equalization in this range while some will. In either case there is no problem running both, as the actually will work together for a better overall sound. The equalization system in the EQ max only adjusts the subwoofer while your AVR's equalization will typically also effect the other speakers in the room. The Equalization in the EQ-Max is the most basic bass equalization system we employee, it does a good job tailoring the sound to your individual listening environment; however there are more robust systems out there. It all comes down to what you will be listening to, and what you like. It is easy to start with the basics, you can always add more later if you feel there is a need.

Thanks for the info Rob! So it's always better to get an AVR which has a sub calibration in it so that it can configure the bass for the speakers then.

Thanks,
post #8599 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post

Thanks for the info Rob! So it's always better to get an AVR which has a sub calibration in it so that it can configure the bass for the speakers then.
Thanks,
It certainly wont hurt. wink.gif
post #8600 of 9549

Hi guys, i have the velodyne dd15+ sub and i am wondering if anyone knows if this sub has a "Direct mode" as i cant find any info about it in the manual. I am about to do an audyssey calibration setup on my AVPA1HDA processor and need to switch it to "ON" according to my AVP processor setup instructions.Sorry for the silly question as i had this sub professionally installed and I did not take part in the actual  setup of the sub and know little about it technically.Thanks Grassy

post #8601 of 9549
I have only a DD-15 but I guess it's pretty similar. I confronted the same question when setting up an Onkyo 5509 with Audyssey XT32 with it a couple of weeks ago. Since, with all due respect, I thought it better to let Audyssey do the processing rather then the inbuilt Velodyne, I pressed preset 6 on the remote for flat and adjusted the volume as requested by the Audyssey set-up and have left it like that ever since.

Somewhere in the Velodyne set-up there's a place to set the default processing on start-up. I also set this to "6". Really I could hide the remote now, but if power goes off or anyone fiddles with it I assume I can press reset and it will go back to 6.
post #8602 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post

Hi guys, i have the velodyne dd15+ sub and i am wondering if anyone knows if this sub has a "Direct mode" as i cant find any info about it in the manual. I am about to do an audyssey calibration setup on my AVPA1HDA processor and need to switch it to "ON" according to my AVP processor setup instructions.Sorry for the silly question as i had this sub professionally installed and I did not take part in the actual  setup of the sub and know little about it technically.Thanks Grassy

Using either the software or the onscreen display, you can set the cross-over to its highest point and it switches to direct mode. I would recommend running the Auto EQ+ on the Velodyne before running the Audyssey.
post #8603 of 9549

Thanks steve and thanks rob, great info.Up until now i never had to adjust anything.The fun beginssmile.gif

post #8604 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post

Thanks steve and thanks rob, great info.Up until now i never had to adjust anything.The fun begins:)
Enjoy. Just remember there is nothing wrong with running both equalization systems. The Velodyne's is going to be specialized in the subwoofer's frequency range with a vastly more robust 8 band parametric equalizer, if you run Audyssey after you set the Velodyne, it will either help any spots that still need additional EQing, or it will do nothing because the EQ is already good.
post #8605 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post

Enjoy. Just remember there is nothing wrong with running both equalization systems. The Velodyne's is going to be specialized in the subwoofer's frequency range with a vastly more robust 8 band parametric equalizer, if you run Audyssey after you set the Velodyne, it will either help any spots that still need additional EQing, or it will do nothing because the EQ is already good.

Yea i see what you mean.I have my sub set up to the left of my front "left main speaker", before i ran Audyssey there was a boomy area up the back of my theatre on the opposite side near the "surround back right speaker" after running audyssey it is now gone and i have a nice balanced sound in that particular area. As a matter of fact i now have a great sounding subwoofer on a whole.You are definately correct though as i did notice a huge difference. All i need now is another sub and some bass traps.smile.gif

post #8606 of 9549
I recently found a Velodyne DPS-10 at a local pawn shop for $125. I have done some searching, and it seems to be a decent sub, but a little old. Do any of you have this sub or have had this sub? What do you or did you think of it? Is $125 a good price? Is there anything I should be aware of with this sub?
post #8607 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post

Quick question. I have the Velodyne EQ-Max10 sub, and since it has it's own sub EQ feature and mic, how much difference is just running the sub's EQ on an AVR that does not have a sub calibration VS. using the sub's EQ and then using an AVR that does have the sub calibration? I'm wondering if this would be much of a difference b/c I am deciding between the Yamaha A1010 AVR and a Denon 2113. Both are open box and the same price, but the Yamaha has more features and connections. The only main difference that is throwing me off is A1010 does not have a sub calibration but the Denon does have Audyssey Mult-EQ-XT with a sub calibration..
Sorry for the late response but you have astutely noted that the Denon's Audyssey MultEQXT EQs the sub channel and is therefore superior to Pio's MCACC which does not. When I had one Velo DD10, I used the internal EQ to help with placement and to EQ the sub, then ran MultEQ on top of it and got very good results.
post #8608 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post

Hi guys, i have the velodyne dd15+ sub and i am wondering if anyone knows if this sub has a "Direct mode" as i cant find any info about it in the manual. I am about to do an audyssey calibration setup on my AVPA1HDA processor and need to switch it to "ON" according to my AVP processor setup instructions...
If your AVP has not been been upgraded to MultEQXT32, then see my post just above about a single sub and XT-equipped processor. If you have the upgrade, then I agree with Steve Coliier that you need not necessarily use the in-built Velo EQ. That is state-of-the-art DSP RC and far more powerful than MultEQXT (32X!). And your plan to add a second sub and traps is excellent! I assume there will be measurements taken to guide all that.

Once I upgraded my AVR from the Denon4310 (MultEQXT) to the 4311 with XT32 withSubEQHT and added a second DD10, I positioned the subs using the DD10's internal EQ to guide me in achieving athe flattest FR I could get. I have no bass traps in the family room and I don't have a separate measuring system such as OmniMic. For the "subhaul/crawl" I sent the virgin, un-EQ'd Velo test tone to both subs through the processor with all EQ including Audyssey OFF. This worked quite well guiding strategic placement of the subs to counter room modes. I ended up with them mid-wall on opposite walls. I did not run either Velo sub EQ at all. BTW, one wants both subs firing simultaneously and the EQ applied to both together regardless of what the EQ is. In my AVR, this is done using SubEQHT, which helps set level and distance for each sub, but then pings them together for measurement and applies the EQ to both.
post #8609 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked05 View Post

I recently found a Velodyne DPS-10 at a local pawn shop for $125. I have done some searching, and it seems to be a decent sub, but a little old. Do any of you have this sub or have had this sub? What do you or did you think of it? Is $125 a good price? Is there anything I should be aware of with this sub?

If the sub works, then $125 is likely a fair price. It would fit somewhere between the Impact series and the EQ-max series.
post #8610 of 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post


If your AVP has not been been upgraded to MultEQXT32, then see my post just above about a single sub and XT-equipped processor. If you have the upgrade, then I agree with Steve Coliier that you need not necessarily use the in-built Velo EQ. That is state-of-the-art DSP RC and far more powerful than MultEQXT (32X!). And your plan to add a second sub and traps is excellent! I assume there will be measurements taken to guide all that.
Once I upgraded my AVR from the Denon4310 (MultEQXT) to the 4311 with XT32 withSubEQHT and added a second DD10, I positioned the subs using the DD10's internal EQ to guide me in achieving athe flattest FR I could get. I have no bass traps in the family room and I don't have a separate measuring system such as OmniMic. For the "subhaul/crawl" I sent the virgin, un-EQ'd Velo test tone to both subs through the processor with all EQ including Audyssey OFF. This worked quite well guiding strategic placement of the subs to counter room modes. I ended up with them mid-wall on opposite walls. I did not run either Velo sub EQ at all. BTW, one wants both subs firing simultaneously and the EQ applied to both together regardless of what the EQ is. In my AVR, this is done using SubEQHT, which helps set level and distance for each sub, but then pings them together for measurement and applies the EQ to both.

Awesome response and thanks,my avp has been upgraded to xt32. When i get the second sub i will have it proffessionally installed like the one i have as he did a fantastic job with this current sub and i never really had to adjust anything.These velodyne dd+ subs are trully state of the art and i am so happy with it. It even came with white gloves.eek.gif The info you provided is excellent and i will be taking heed of your advice.smile.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › * Offical Velodyne Support Thread *