or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › * Offical Velodyne Support Thread *
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

* Offical Velodyne Support Thread * - Page 292

post #8731 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by stam View Post

Started up my DD-18 yesterday and it stared making small random rumbling noises, like little thumps. It wasn't even picking up an active signal and I even disconnected the inputs to it.
Any ideas as to what's wrong and whether I can repair it myself? This thing is a beast and I prefer not having to pull it out of the theater and into the car to haul it somewhere. Hoping it's nothing serious but hopefully easy fix.
How does this thing break like that? I hardly even use it and I'm pretty sure i never overdrove it or anything like that.
Typically this type of issue is a result of an electronics failure, this has nothing to do with your use of the subwoofer but is purely a side effect of the electronics age we live in. My recommendation is to contact service@velodyne.com to arrange a return authorization for the electronics pack to come in for service.
post #8732 of 9545
My sub is out of warranty and since it's a DD-18 I'd rather not have to ship it back. Do you recommend me still contacting service@velodyne.com to see if they can help me initially troubleshoot it and then I can figure out what to do?
post #8733 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by stam View Post

My sub is out of warranty and since it's a DD-18 I'd rather not have to ship it back. Do you recommend me still contacting service@velodyne.com to see if they can help me initially troubleshoot it and then I can figure out what to do?

Yes, contact service@velodyne.com. They will likely provide you with an RMA along with instructions to remove and ship the electronics pack which weighs about 6lbs.
post #8734 of 9545
Does anyone know how sensitive the input is on VX-11? I'm thinking of using one in my office for music, but I typically listen at a fairly low volume there. I don't want the sub cutting out (shutting down) due to weak input signal. I wish this sub had a "permanent on" switch like most other subs do and not just "auto on."

The sub would be connected using speaker-level inputs, if that matters.
post #8735 of 9545
A friend gave me the control board for a FSX-12 servo subwoofer the other day hoping I could fix it. I'm not sure that this is the only problem, but Q1 on that board has definitely sheared off. I'm not totally sure of its function, but it looks to do with the power supply. Anyway, can anyone give me a component value/part number to replace it? I'm not sure if it's a FET or BJT, for one, and without knowing its function, it's tough to punt at parameters. I'd be mighty grateful.
post #8736 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post

Does anyone know how sensitive the input is on VX-11? I'm thinking of using one in my office for music, but I typically listen at a fairly low volume there. I don't want the sub cutting out (shutting down) due to weak input signal. I wish this sub had a "permanent on" switch like most other subs do and not just "auto on."
The sub would be connected using speaker-level inputs, if that matters.

Using the speaker level inputs should help as you will be feeding full range signal into the subwoofer, the subwoofer will only reproduce the bass, but the full signal will be detected as far as the auto on/off feature is concerned.
post #8737 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post

A friend gave me the control board for a FSX-12 servo subwoofer the other day hoping I could fix it. I'm not sure that this is the only problem, but Q1 on that board has definitely sheared off. I'm not totally sure of its function, but it looks to do with the power supply. Anyway, can anyone give me a component value/part number to replace it? I'm not sure if it's a FET or BJT, for one, and without knowing its function, it's tough to punt at parameters. I'd be mighty grateful.
If you pm me your email address I can send you the schematics for the assembly.
post #8738 of 9545
I have an two F-1800s from 1995-1996.

One of them has recently began to shut itself off - it will turn itself off accompanied by a loud pop from the speaker, then after a minute or two it will turn itself back on with another pop.
I've had the enitire sub in to my local repair shop three times and they have replaced multiple caps to no avail. Can I still have this ancient sub fixed by Velodyne? Something I could maybe fix myself??
post #8739 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

I have an two F-1800s from 1995-1996.
One of them has recently began to shut itself off - it will turn itself off accompanied by a loud pop from the speaker, then after a minute or two it will turn itself back on with another pop.
I've had the enitire sub in to my local repair shop three times and they have replaced multiple caps to no avail. Can I still have this ancient sub fixed by Velodyne? Something I could maybe fix myself??
PM sent.
post #8740 of 9545
If anybody has a HGS 12 for sale let me know.
post #8741 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr35 View Post

Thanks Rob, you've just sold a DD 10+ !

I got my DD10+ now smile.gif

It's been Auto EQ+ ed, but I still need to get some time and Manual EQ it to try and minimize the dip at 60 Hz...

Anyway, I am very happy but have one question. I have set AUTO ON/OFF mode to INACTIVE but from time to time during music playback, the display shows up with the preset and volume information (P3 / 34); the subwoofer even sometimes seems to fully stop and needs to be powered on again using the remote control...

Is this normal ? Have I done something wrong with the configuration ?

Thanks,
Xavier.
post #8742 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr35 View Post

I got my DD10+ now smile.gif
It's been Auto EQ+ ed, but I still need to get some time and Manual EQ it to try and minimize the dip at 60 Hz...
Anyway, I am very happy but have one question. I have set AUTO ON/OFF mode to INACTIVE but from time to time during music playback, the display shows up with the preset and volume information (P3 / 34); the subwoofer even sometimes seems to fully stop and needs to be powered on again using the remote control...
Is this normal ? Have I done something wrong with the configuration ?
Thanks,
Xavier.
Are you using the 230 volt or 117 volt platform?
post #8743 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post

Are you using the 230 volt or 117 volt platform?
230 Volts.
post #8744 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr35 View Post

230 Volts.
Then you are doing nothing wrong. The 230 volt platform has a 1/2 watt circuit mandated by the EU that forces the unit to shut down after a period of non-use. This circuit is mandated to override the always on function.
post #8745 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post

Then you are doing nothing wrong. The 230 volt platform has a 1/2 watt circuit mandated by the EU that forces the unit to shut down after a period of non-use. This circuit is mandated to override the always on function.
OK...

By the way, my wife was a bit disappointed with the Walnut color. Is it plastic or real wood with a lot of varnish?
post #8746 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr35 View Post

OK...
By the way, my wife was a bit disappointed with the Walnut color. Is it plastic or real wood with a lot of varnish?
It is a wood veneer with a heavy durable finish.
post #8747 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post

It is a wood veneer with a heavy durable finish.
Thanks, it will help for full acceptance smile.gif

And you've got an email at service (at) velodyne.com.
post #8748 of 9545
I'm in the market for a DD-15, if anyone has one they'd like to part with. Willing to pay market value, but must be in excellent condition and working order. Looking only for the original DD-15 (black), not the newer Plus model, since I have an existing DD-15 and am looking for a matching unit.

Thanks,
R
post #8749 of 9545
Omen,
A single balanced cable into either balanced input on the Velodyne will be just fine. You could also use a balanced "Y" splitter into both inputs. A splitter will not add noise. Most users go with a single input when using balanced cable. On the new DD series there is a single balanced input.
Thanks for the question.
Happy Holidays,
Curt
post #8750 of 9545
Hi, I have a Velodyne DPS-12
Date Manufactured: July 10th, 2006
S/N: 661911231

I've had it since new purchased new late in 2006.

It seems the crossover is cutting out prematurely now. (Forgive me I'm far from an audio expert). But the speaker plays great, until I turn the stereo up, or increase the Low Pass Crossover towards Direct from 40. I now have to have on almost 40 to stop it from 'clicking' and 'cutting out'.

Plays fine at low volume... but no more playing music or watching movies 'loudly'.

Any thoughts on what it would cost to repair it? It's been a great subwoofer these past 6 years.

Is it worth repairing, or is there a similar better product for the same or less money than shipping & repair?

Thanks & Happy Holidays!

Dave
Edited by SCCAForums - 12/25/12 at 11:21am
post #8751 of 9545
Hello to all and Merry Christmas, I'm looking for the display on a Velodyne DPS-10 and how I can replace it since I got to the removal of the Woofer or a electrical schematic to see how I can by pass the display if not available. Thanks,
post #8752 of 9545
So I've got my budget HT system set up: a VX-11 is driven by a Yamaha V371 receiver. I've calibrated the sound levels with SPL meter. I've got the sub running a couple of dB louder than the rest of the channels, but even then, the volume on the sub is only at around 9 o'clock. The sub channel level on the receiver is at 0. Should I leave it like this or is it advisable to set the channel level to a negative value and then increase the volume on the sub to somewhere near 12 o'clock?

Reading through the sub's owner manual, 9 o'clock on the volume knob is perfectly fine. But I've also read manuals from other sub makers where they suggest to lower the line level and increase the volume on the sub instead, claiming there will be less distortion this way. Any truth to this?

I suppose one negative of lowering the line level (sub channel level) on the receiver too much is that the sub may have a harder time auto-sensing the signal and turning itself on when needed.
post #8753 of 9545
On the SPL-1200 Ultra, can I use the low level outputs to daisy chain a second sub ?
post #8754 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post

Hi, I have a Velodyne DPS-12
Date Manufactured: July 10th, 2006
S/N: 661911231
I've had it since new purchased new late in 2006.
It seems the crossover is cutting out prematurely now. (Forgive me I'm far from an audio expert). But the speaker plays great, until I turn the stereo up, or increase the Low Pass Crossover towards Direct from 40. I now have to have on almost 40 to stop it from 'clicking' and 'cutting out'.
Plays fine at low volume... but no more playing music or watching movies 'loudly'.
Any thoughts on what it would cost to repair it? It's been a great subwoofer these past 6 years.
Is it worth repairing, or is there a similar better product for the same or less money than shipping & repair?
Thanks & Happy Holidays!
Dave
This is an issue that can often be resolved by adjusting some of the settings in your subwoofer and processor.

1. Using the the touch pad press - movies - rock - jazz - Game - Game - jazz - rock - movie. This will restore the factory defaults.
2. On the subwoofer set the cross-over to direct
3. In your processor set the speakers all to small
4. In your processor set the cross-over between 80-100Hz
5. In your processor set the LFE or Sub out to the neutral 0db setting.
6. Using the subwoofer volume adjust the bass mixture to your liking.

If you continue to have issues, please contact us at service@velodyne.com or 408-465-2851.
post #8755 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by tridyman View Post

Hello to all and Merry Christmas, I'm looking for the display on a Velodyne DPS-10 and how I can replace it since I got to the removal of the Woofer or a electrical schematic to see how I can by pass the display if not available. Thanks,
Replacement touch pads are available inexpensively. Please contact our service department for current pricing at service@velodyne.com or 408-465-2851.
post #8756 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post

So I've got my budget HT system set up: a VX-11 is driven by a Yamaha V371 receiver. I've calibrated the sound levels with SPL meter. I've got the sub running a couple of dB louder than the rest of the channels, but even then, the volume on the sub is only at around 9 o'clock. The sub channel level on the receiver is at 0. Should I leave it like this or is it advisable to set the channel level to a negative value and then increase the volume on the sub to somewhere near 12 o'clock?
Reading through the sub's owner manual, 9 o'clock on the volume knob is perfectly fine. But I've also read manuals from other sub makers where they suggest to lower the line level and increase the volume on the sub instead, claiming there will be less distortion this way. Any truth to this?
I suppose one negative of lowering the line level (sub channel level) on the receiver too much is that the sub may have a harder time auto-sensing the signal and turning itself on when needed.
Our recommendation is to run the LFE out at the neutral 0dB and adjust the sub volume to your liking. Our subs typically run with the volume at 20-40% of max volume leaving the balance of the amplification available as headroom for dynamic passages.
post #8757 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDriver View Post

On the SPL-1200 Ultra, can I use the low level outputs to daisy chain a second sub ?
You can, but this is not advised. The outputs on the SPL-Ultra have an integrated high pass crossover rolling off the signal going to the second sub. So, yes the second sub will get signal to play but it will be less than the first sub. The recommended hook up would be to split the signal at the source, running a parallel signal into each subwoofer.
post #8758 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsinclair View Post

I'm in the market for a DD-15, if anyone has one they'd like to part with. Willing to pay market value, but must be in excellent condition and working order. Looking only for the original DD-15 (black), not the newer Plus model, since I have an existing DD-15 and am looking for a matching unit.
Thanks,
R
Velodyne does have a DD-15 Cherry refurbished available on our Ebay store, but we are out of Black units. If the Cherry does not meet your needs, hopefully someone will have a lead on one for you.
post #8759 of 9545
It seems like the price to fix the amp on our subs keep going up. Why is that Rob? How much is it now sir?
post #8760 of 9545
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

It seems like the price to fix the amp on our subs keep going up. Why is that Rob? How much is it now sir?
While I am not certain what model specifically you are discussing, I will say that most subwoofers are being repaired at the same cost as they were when I joined Velodyne 6 years ago. A few models have increased recently as our costs have increased.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › * Offical Velodyne Support Thread *