or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Los Angeles, CA - TWC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Los Angeles, CA - TWC - Page 285

post #8521 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120 View Post

there is a feature for that in iGuide tune to a sporting event that you are recording and push info and select the record icon and there should be an option to extend the program if it runs longer than expected. I have used it before smile.gif ...
Will this DVR's software recognize overtimes, delayed games, etc. if I am not there?
post #8522 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Will this DVR's software recognize overtimes, delayed games, etc. if I am not there?

No. You have to decide that beforehand as mentioned by kevin120. Since you can't know the future, you'll just have to play it safe by extending the recording beforehand.
post #8523 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

No. You have to decide that beforehand as mentioned by kevin120. Since you can't know the future, you'll just have to play it safe by extending the recording beforehand.
Thanks. smile.gif
post #8524 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Thanks. smile.gif

Actually iGuide has something like if the game continues past the end of the time you can add more time if it goes over and it will record the entire game. I think there might be some kind of flag send via the stream the guide recognizes to extend the recording?
post #8525 of 8808
I noticed for every incoming phone calls, there is a HDTV screen saying there is an incoming phone call and to press "Sel" for logs.

1. Where is this button on 1056B03 remote control? I couldn't find it.
2. Does these screen overlays get recorded onto Motorola DVR DCX3400's recordings?
3. How do I disable this annoying pop-up?

Thank you in advance. smile.gif
post #8526 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

I noticed for every incoming phone calls, there is a HDTV screen saying there is an incoming phone call and to press "Sel" for logs.
1. Where is this button on 1056B03 remote control? I couldn't find it.
2. Does these screen overlays get recorded onto Motorola DVR DCX3400's recordings?
3. How do I disable this annoying pop-up?
Thank you in advance. smile.gif

Hey phildaant.

I responded to your post about this over at broadband reports smile.gif
post #8527 of 8808
There is a menu item for setting up the display of incoming phone calls. There is no direct button on the remote. You have to press one of the buttons ( maybe setup or menu, I can't recall the button name ) twice and then select the menu item for the incoming calls. It's buggy though. Mine used to show the incoming calls, but for some reason does not anymore, even though I have it setup to show them.
post #8528 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellhayes View Post

There is a menu item for setting up the display of incoming phone calls. There is no direct button on the remote. You have to press one of the buttons ( maybe setup or menu, I can't recall the button name ) twice and then select the menu item for the incoming calls. It's buggy though. Mine used to show the incoming calls, but for some reason does not anymore, even though I have it setup to show them.
OK, I will have to look for it then. frown.gif
post #8529 of 8808
Hello.

I don't know what changed, but I noticed the 22" HDTV goes to SD instead of HD when using Motorola DVR DCX3400's TV Guide and On Demand even on HD channels. Exiting them go back to HD display.

Did TWC upgrade/change something on this DVR? DVR is using software v79.41-r29.0.r-4 and firmware v24.35.

Thank you in advance. smile.gif
post #8530 of 8808
I'm watching Thursday Night Football on NFL Network, and the quality is horrible. What do we have to do to get a decent signal in 2012?
post #8531 of 8808
Try watching a concert with lots of strobes on Palladia eek.gifmad.gifeek.gifmad.gif
post #8532 of 8808
Okay, I signed up for the free phone service for one year. However, I just noticed the following is in the FAQ:


Q: Why am I being charged taxes and fees for Home Phone service?

A: Although we are not charging for the Home Phone service, Federal, State and Local taxing authorities and regulatory agencies require us to impose certain taxes and fees. The total amount of taxes and fees applicable to the Home Phone service varies by location, but typically ranges between $3 and $6 per month. Our customer service rep can tell you the amount of taxes and fees that will appear on your bill every month. However, with this complimentary Home Phone Service, we will not charge a one-time standard installation, activation or porting fee for the first year. You will not be charged taxes and fees for SHOWTIME during your first six months.


Do you suppose the bolded part could possibly mean that the phone install, activation, and porting fees will be charged one year from now? I hope not. Wording is strange because there would be no need to install, activate, or port if I already had the phone service for a year.
post #8533 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

Okay, I signed up for the free phone service for one year. However, I just noticed the following is in the FAQ:


Q: Why am I being charged taxes and fees for Home Phone service?

A: Although we are not charging for the Home Phone service, Federal, State and Local taxing authorities and regulatory agencies require us to impose certain taxes and fees. The total amount of taxes and fees applicable to the Home Phone service varies by location, but typically ranges between $3 and $6 per month. Our customer service rep can tell you the amount of taxes and fees that will appear on your bill every month. However, with this complimentary Home Phone Service, we will not charge a one-time standard installation, activation or porting fee for the first year. You will not be charged taxes and fees for SHOWTIME during your first six months.


Do you suppose the bolded part could possibly mean that the phone install, activation, and porting fees will be charged one year from now? I hope not. Wording is strange because there would be no need to install, activate, or port if I already had the phone service for a year.
Try asking TWC and see what they say for a clarification?
post #8534 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

Okay, I signed up for the free phone service for one year. However, I just noticed the following is in the FAQ:


Q: Why am I being charged taxes and fees for Home Phone service?

A: Although we are not charging for the Home Phone service, Federal, State and Local taxing authorities and regulatory agencies require us to impose certain taxes and fees. The total amount of taxes and fees applicable to the Home Phone service varies by location, but typically ranges between $3 and $6 per month. Our customer service rep can tell you the amount of taxes and fees that will appear on your bill every month. However, with this complimentary Home Phone Service, we will not charge a one-time standard installation, activation or porting fee for the first year. You will not be charged taxes and fees for SHOWTIME during your first six months.


Do you suppose the bolded part could possibly mean that the phone install, activation, and porting fees will be charged one year from now? I hope not. Wording is strange because there would be no need to install, activate, or port if I already had the phone service for a year.

I don't see how they could, in all fairness, do that. I got the free year as well, and my understanding is that these are one-time fees imposed at the start of service. So if they're waived, that's it. At the end of the year, you can continue the service for $10/mo, but the service has already been established.

Having said that, this is TWC after all, so ... Lol.
post #8535 of 8808
Time Warner's Notice of Upcoming Changes:

On or after December 13, 2012, BBC World News will be made available on channel 138 to customers with subscription to Variety Tier.

On or after December 13, 2012, beIN SPORT & beIN SPORT HD will be made available to customers with subscription to the TWC Sports Pass. beIN SPORT en Espanol & beIN SPORT en Espanol HD will be made available to customers with subscription to the Espanol Tier.

On or after December 13, 2012, Encore HD will be made available on channel 349 to customers with subscription to TWC Movie Pass.

On or after December 13, 2012, fearNET, channel 280 and fearNET HD, channel 352 will be made available to customers with subscription to TWC Movie Pass where not already carried.

On or after December 13, 2012, Fox Deportes HD will be made available on channel 380 to customers with subscription to the Variety Tier and Espanol Tier.

On or after December 13, 2012, Fox Movie Chanel HD will be made available on channel 351 to customers with subscription to Variety Tier and TWC Movie Pass.

On or after December 13, 2012, HSN HD will be made available on channel 489 to customers with subscription to Broadcast Basic.

On or after December 13, 2012, Hub HD will be made available on channel 339 to customers with subscription to Variety Tier, El Paquetazo and Family Choice.

On or after December 13, 2012, MeTV will be made available on channel 137 to customers with subscription to Variety Tier where not already carried.

On or after December 13, 2012, MLB Network Strike Zone HD will be made available to customers with subscription to TWC Sports Pass where not already carried.

On or after December 13, 2012, Nat Geo WILD HD will be made available on channel 342 to customers with subscription to Variety Tier and El Paquetazo.

On or after December 13, 2012, Sundance Channel HD will be made available on channel 350 to customers with subscription to TWC Movie Pass.

On or after December 13, 2012, Tennis Channel HD will be made available on channel 473 to customers with subscription to TWC Sports Pass.

On or after December 13, 2012, TV Japan HD will be made available on channel 606 to customers with subscription to TV Japan.

On or after December 17, 2012, BBC America, channel 134/884, and BBC America HD, channel 484, will be moving from Basic Cable to Variety Tier.

On or after December 17, 2012, GMC, channel 160, will move from Choice Tier to the Variety Tier.

On or after December 17, 2012, Nick Jr will be transitioning from an East coast feed to a West coast feed. This change will have no impact on channel placement or packaging. This change could impact scheduled DVR recordings.
post #8536 of 8808
Is there an updated Clear QAM channel list for those in East San Fernando Valley on Time Warner Cable? I hate having to perform rescans twice a month and finding and losing channels, with no point of reference.

Thanks,
///Arash
post #8537 of 8808
On an unrelated issue, I was really bothered by the $3.95 new "lease fee" for the Arris telephony modem I've had for many years, ever since going to the TWC "tripleplay". I guess I hadn't seen the insert in my bill last month advising of this upcoming new charge.

Years ago, I had my own Motorola SB4100 modem which had worked perfectly for me for years before that, when I bought it to offset a lease charge from AT&T Broadband (or Comcast, or Communicom, or whoever was my provider at the time who was most recently also wanting to charge me a rental fee but offered elimination of the charge if I owned my own modem).

Anyway, when going to the "tripleplay" I didn't want to have a splitter and two modems (which is how the installer wanted to do it), but instead just asked him if I could use the Arris modem for BOTH (a) telephone, and (b) Internet. He said "sure", and that's how I went. No splitter, maximum signal to the Arris modem.

So, when the new $3.95 charge appeared this month I called TWC and they said that was for the INTERNET PORTION of my Arris modem, but that there was NO CHARGE FOR THE TELEPHONE PORTION of the Arris modem! In other words, if I wanted to acquire my own Internet modem (from their "approved list" which naturally did not include my old Motorola SB4100 which was on the shelf, since it was "not modern enough") then the $3.95 charge would be eliminated... even though I still had the same Arris modem I always had! In other words, no lease charge for telephone modem use... only for Internet modem use.


So, I decided to make the obviously un-economical decision to buy a Motorola SB6580 (which is on their "acceptable approved hardware" list), which is a combination modem/router. I already have a perfectly satisfactory 10/100/1000 Netgear WNR3500 but I wouldn't mind replacing it with a new and modern all-in-one DOCSIS 3.0 combo device modem/gigabit-router.

Yes, I will have to finally go with a splitter, to feed the Arris modem (which will remain on my desk where it is right now) and the new SB6580 on the floor (where it will replace my WNR3500 router), but I'm sure it will all work fine.

It's going to take more than a few years to offset the one-time $125 cost of the SB6580 by the savings of $3.95/month lease fee, but I don't care. I consider it an "equipment upgrade", and it's one less fee I have to pay TWC.
post #8538 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

On an unrelated issue, I was really bothered by the $3.95 new "lease fee" for the Arris telephony modem I've had for many years, ever since going to the TWC "tripleplay". I guess I hadn't seen the insert in my bill last month advising of this upcoming new charge.

Years ago, I had my own Motorola SB4100 modem which had worked perfectly for me for years before that, when I bought it to offset a lease charge from AT&T Broadband (or Comcast, or Communicom, or whoever was my provider at the time who was most recently also wanting to charge me a rental fee but offered elimination of the charge if I owned my own modem).

Anyway, when going to the "tripleplay" I didn't want to have a splitter and two modems (which is how the installer wanted to do it), but instead just asked him if I could use the Arris modem for BOTH (a) telephone, and (b) Internet. He said "sure", and that's how I went. No splitter, maximum signal to the Arris modem.

So, when the new $3.95 charge appeared this month I called TWC and they said that was for the INTERNET PORTION of my Arris modem, but that there was NO CHARGE FOR THE TELEPHONE PORTION of the Arris modem! In other words, if I wanted to acquire my own Internet modem (from their "approved list" which naturally did not include my old Motorola SB4100 which was on the shelf, since it was "not modern enough") then the $3.95 charge would be eliminated... even though I still had the same Arris modem I always had! In other words, no lease charge for telephone modem use... only for Internet modem use.


So, I decided to make the obviously un-economical decision to buy a Motorola SB6580 (which is on their "acceptable approved hardware" list), which is a combination modem/router. I already have a perfectly satisfactory 10/100/1000 Netgear WNR3500 but I wouldn't mind replacing it with a new and modern all-in-one DOCSIS 3.0 combo device modem/gigabit-router.

Yes, I will have to finally go with a splitter, to feed the Arris modem (which will remain on my desk where it is right now) and the new SB6580 on the floor (where it will replace my WNR3500 router), but I'm sure it will all work fine.

It's going to take more than a few years to offset the one-time $125 cost of the SB6580 by the savings of $3.95/month lease fee, but I don't care. I consider it an "equipment upgrade", and it's one less fee I have to pay TWC.
Yep, this is annoying. There are no Internet+Digital Phone modem. Annoying. For now, I will pay the damn fees. I am sure TWC did that on purpose. Hopefully, there will be one for TWC. frown.gif
post #8539 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Yep, this is annoying. There are no Internet+Digital Phone modem. Annoying. For now, I will pay the damn fees. I am sure TWC did that on purpose. Hopefully, there will be one for TWC. frown.gif
This Arris TM502G is what I have. It's what TWC installed a few years ago when I went to "tripleplay".

Obviously it works just fine, both then and now, for telephone and Internet. And they will continue to let me use it, lease-free, if I buy my own separate Internet-only modem. And I WILL continue to use it going forward for telephone, even after the SB6580 arrives and I call TWC to deactivate the Arris modem for Internet..

It's simply not on their "approved" list. Nor is there any other combined telephony-Internet modem from any manufacturer including Arris (even including their latest and greatest DOCSIS 3.0 models)... which I'm sure they continue to use for new customers who need telephone support.

Oh well.
post #8540 of 8808
I'm still using the Terayon modem Adelphia installed years ago. So when the service guy installed my free-for-a-year phone a couple of months ago, he was going to replace it with the Arris for both phone and Internet. But because there was problems setting up the phone (that's a whole other saga), his supervisor told him to keep the Terayon in place (which TWC considers to be MY modem now, lol) and use the Arris just for the phone. Fine with me. My router is in the bedroom and the phone is in the living room. And, so far, there's been no extra charge, even though I strongly doubt the Terayon is on their "approved" list.
post #8541 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

So, I decided to make the obviously un-economical decision to buy a Motorola SB6580 (which is on their "acceptable approved hardware" list), which is a combination modem/router. I already have a perfectly satisfactory 10/100/1000 Netgear WNR3500 but I wouldn't mind replacing it with a new and modern all-in-one DOCSIS 3.0 combo device modem/gigabit-router.
Yes, I will have to finally go with a splitter, to feed the Arris modem (which will remain on my desk where it is right now) and the new SB6580 on the floor (where it will replace my WNR3500 router), but I'm sure it will all work fine.
It's going to take more than a few years to offset the one-time $125 cost of the SB6580 by the savings of $3.95/month lease fee, but I don't care. I consider it an "equipment upgrade", and it's one less fee I have to pay TWC.
Don't be surprised if they take the modem away and give you a small unit (eMTA) for the phone use after the splitter. /Dan
Edited by danki6x - 12/7/12 at 4:07pm
post #8542 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Yep, this is annoying. There are no Internet+Digital Phone modem. Annoying. For now, I will pay the damn fees. I am sure TWC did that on purpose. Hopefully, there will be one for TWC. frown.gif
This Arris TM502G is what I have. It's what TWC installed a few years ago when I went to "tripleplay".

Obviously it works just fine, both then and now, for telephone and Internet. And they will continue to let me use it, lease-free, if I buy my own separate Internet-only modem. And I WILL continue to use it going forward for telephone, even after the SB6580 arrives and I call TWC to deactivate the Arris modem for Internet..

It's simply not on their "approved" list. Nor is there any other combined telephony-Internet modem from any manufacturer including Arris (even including their latest and greatest DOCSIS 3.0 models)... which I'm sure they continue to use for new customers who need telephone support.

Oh well.
Yeah, that's the same one my parents have from the summer. I am surprised it is a few years old already. How do you like yours? Did you have to change its battery yet? If so, then was it cheap and hard/difficult to do and did you get it from TWC? I like how the modem still works without power AC. smile.gif
post #8543 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by danki6x View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

So, I decided to make the obviously un-economical decision to buy a Motorola SB6580 (which is on their "acceptable approved hardware" list), which is a combination modem/router. I already have a perfectly satisfactory 10/100/1000 Netgear WNR3500 but I wouldn't mind replacing it with a new and modern all-in-one DOCSIS 3.0 combo device modem/gigabit-router.
Yes, I will have to finally go with a splitter, to feed the Arris modem (which will remain on my desk where it is right now) and the new SB6580 on the floor (where it will replace my WNR3500 router), but I'm sure it will all work fine.
It's going to take more than a few years to offset the one-time $125 cost of the SB6580 by the savings of $3.95/month lease fee, but I don't care. I consider it an "equipment upgrade", and it's one less fee I have to pay TWC.
Don't be surprised if they take the modem away and give you a small unit (I blanked on the name) for the phone use after the splitter. /Dan
Ubee? I have Ambit (now Ubee) one in the old home from over three years ago.
post #8544 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

I'm still using the Terayon modem Adelphia installed years ago...
Was that TJ715X or something? I had that one during my Adelphia PowerLink days. wink.gif
post #8545 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Ubee? I have Ambit (now Ubee) one in the old home from over three years ago.
I found the name and edited my post. They are called eMTA devices. /Dan
Edited by danki6x - 12/11/12 at 2:24pm
post #8546 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

Time Warner's Notice of Upcoming Changes:
On or after December 13, 2012, BBC World News will be made available on channel 138 to customers with subscription to Variety Tier.
On or after December 13, 2012, beIN SPORT & beIN SPORT HD will be made available to customers with subscription to the TWC Sports Pass. beIN SPORT en Espanol & beIN SPORT en Espanol HD will be made available to customers with subscription to the Espanol Tier.
On or after December 13, 2012, Encore HD will be made available on channel 349 to customers with subscription to TWC Movie Pass.
On or after December 13, 2012, fearNET, channel 280 and fearNET HD, channel 352 will be made available to customers with subscription to TWC Movie Pass where not already carried.
On or after December 13, 2012, Fox Deportes HD will be made available on channel 380 to customers with subscription to the Variety Tier and Espanol Tier.
On or after December 13, 2012, Fox Movie Chanel HD will be made available on channel 351 to customers with subscription to Variety Tier and TWC Movie Pass.
On or after December 13, 2012, HSN HD will be made available on channel 489 to customers with subscription to Broadcast Basic.
On or after December 13, 2012, Hub HD will be made available on channel 339 to customers with subscription to Variety Tier, El Paquetazo and Family Choice.
On or after December 13, 2012, MeTV will be made available on channel 137 to customers with subscription to Variety Tier where not already carried.
On or after December 13, 2012, MLB Network Strike Zone HD will be made available to customers with subscription to TWC Sports Pass where not already carried.
On or after December 13, 2012, Nat Geo WILD HD will be made available on channel 342 to customers with subscription to Variety Tier and El Paquetazo.
On or after December 13, 2012, Sundance Channel HD will be made available on channel 350 to customers with subscription to TWC Movie Pass.
On or after December 13, 2012, Tennis Channel HD will be made available on channel 473 to customers with subscription to TWC Sports Pass.
On or after December 13, 2012, TV Japan HD will be made available on channel 606 to customers with subscription to TV Japan.
On or after December 17, 2012, BBC America, channel 134/884, and BBC America HD, channel 484, will be moving from Basic Cable to Variety Tier.
On or after December 17, 2012, GMC, channel 160, will move from Choice Tier to the Variety Tier.
On or after December 17, 2012, Nick Jr will be transitioning from an East coast feed to a West coast feed. This change will have no impact on channel placement or packaging. This change could impact scheduled DVR recordings.

all made possible by launching SDV in the former comcast areas! TWC has SDV running on:
507MHz
513MHz
519MHz
525MHz
531MHz
537MHz
543MHz
549MHz
555MHz
561MHz
567MHz
573MHz
579MHz
585MHz
591MHz
597MHz

in the former comcast areas according to silicondust as they have 3D Special events 1 unencrypted and it is floating from 72-700 to 86-700 on various lineups in the former comcast areas in Socal. So now everybody has SDV in socal so TWC can launch channels in all areas at once. Also there are still a lot of HD channels that are not SDV in the former comcast areas that are SDV in the 860MHz systems.
post #8547 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

I'm still using the Terayon modem Adelphia installed years ago...
Was that TJ715X or something? I had that one during my Adelphia PowerLink days. wink.gif
Yep, that's the one.
post #8548 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

I'm still using the Terayon modem Adelphia installed years ago...
Was that TJ715X or something? I had that one during my Adelphia PowerLink days. wink.gif
Yep, that's the one.
Wow, that's old and impressive! I still remember using its Terayon TeraPro cable modem (not DOCSIS) from @Home with Adelphia on 3/10/2001 and COM21 DP1110XB-N (DOXport) on 7/6/2002 (upgraded cable system in the city) before Terayon TJ715X on 6/4/2005.
post #8549 of 8808
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Yep, this is annoying. There are no Internet+Digital Phone modem. Annoying. For now, I will pay the damn fees. I am sure TWC did that on purpose. Hopefully, there will be one for TWC. frown.gif

I was not aware of this, but I now have a cable card with tunner adapter, but not all hannels are comming in
post #8550 of 8808
I looked up my account details and it shows the Arris as the installed modem for both my phone and Internet. No mention of the Terayon. I don't understand how they can get that wrong, unless the info is obtained from inputted data rather than via a live connection. Anyway I will have to keep an eye out for charges.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Los Angeles, CA - TWC